Low pitch whining - Dodge Nitro Forum
Dodge Nitro Dodge Nitro

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Problems / Dealer Service If you are having problems with your Dodge Nitro and want to discuss it, please do so in here. If you need to talk about service that you may need or have received from a dealership, please do so in here.

Dodge-Nitro.com is the premier Dodge Nitro Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 PM

Low pitch whining

Good evening folks. My wife has a 07 SLT that develops a low pitch whine at 35-40 mph.
Took it to Big O and they told her it was the front wheel hub assemblies , the right more so than the left. I replaced the unit and the whine is still present.

To me it sounds a lot like straight cut gears meshing. Now I originally thought it was low on tranny fluid , but , as you know there's no dipstick to check. I need to take it to a dealer (something I don't want to do).
Can anyone shed any light on this issue if you've experienced something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 PM

All of the components of the 4wd system spin all of the time. This includes the front 1/2 shafts as well as the front drive shaft, and thus, the front differential. I was pretty well pissed off when I found this out, as I wanted to know how the front hubs locked/unlocked. Since they are constantly spinning, the hubs do not have to lock/unlock. All the transfer case does is engage the front drive shaft, and lock it to the rear drive shaft: 50/50.

You do have to take it to a dealer to check the transmission fluid - how much $ would it have cost to give every Nitro a dipstick?

Since you have replaced your front hubs, have them look at the front 1/2 shafts, front differential, and front drive shaft - could be a bad bearing somewhere, or low fluid in the front differential.

MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the input man. Ill take it to the dealer.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:41 PM

You are welcome. Pretty cheap and inefficiant 4wd system, if you ask me. None of my Jeeps were this way!

MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 PM

I prefer my butt closer to the ground , but , wifey wanted so............I gotta maintain it.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
You are welcome. Pretty cheap and inefficiant 4wd system, if you ask me. None of my Jeeps were this way!

By your avatar am I right to assume you are/were a boom operator?

I served 6 in the USAF. Thank you for your service.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonynPhx View Post
By your avatar am I right to assume you are/were a boom operator?

I served 6 in the USAF. Thank you for your service.

Yes, boom operator on KC135. I was activted for Desert Storm, got hurt, ended up with a medical discharge. AF says I could no longer fly with a spinal cord injury.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Any lube shop - Mr Lube, Jiffy Lube etc has a dipstick for the Nitro tranny

Model: Nitro SXT 3.7L
Build date: Jan 07
Colour: Black
Mods: Projector Head Lamps, Bosch Platinum Plus spark plugs, Hella projector fog lamps with Landy chrome bezels. Custom undergrille, removed roof rails.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnhopkins View Post
Any lube shop - Mr Lube, Jiffy Lube etc has a dipstick for the Nitro tranny
I did not know this. Do you just ask and they can install it? When I purchased my Nitro, I received 4 free oil changes. Still have one more left, before I start using Jiffy Lube again.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 AM

Not for sale, but to check your oil level for you, my point was that you don't have to go to the dealership.

Model: Nitro SXT 3.7L
Build date: Jan 07
Colour: Black
Mods: Projector Head Lamps, Bosch Platinum Plus spark plugs, Hella projector fog lamps with Landy chrome bezels. Custom undergrille, removed roof rails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service