Remote Start Problem - Dodge Nitro Forum
Dodge Nitro Dodge Nitro

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Problems / Dealer Service If you are having problems with your Dodge Nitro and want to discuss it, please do so in here. If you need to talk about service that you may need or have received from a dealership, please do so in here.

Dodge-Nitro.com is the premier Dodge Nitro Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 AM

Remote Start Problem

Yesterday as I left work, my factory installed remote start worked just fine. Later in the evening, while it was snowing heavily and a bit colder, it no longer would work. I pressed the button on the key fob twice as normal and instead of firing up and the lights blinking twice, they blinked once and just locked the doors. The same thing happened this morning when I went to start it.

Has anyone had this problem recently or know what could be causing it? I am wondering if the fact that this is the first time the car has been frozen, if that is making some of the sensors not function properly. I have not disconnected the battery yet, but may do that this evening.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Is there any snow on your vehicle? Could that be it? Hopefully it will work just fine when it warms back up or you get a car wash. Have the same remote start and never an issue but it is usually in the heated garage with little snow on it in the Winter. Its spoiled.

Good Luck and let us know what happens.

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 113,000 sold)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM

There is some snow still on the vehicle. I read somewhere that the hood sensor creates problems so I am hoping that since it was cold and snowy, it just malfunctioned. I plan on taking a look at that sensor after work.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM

Despite my embarrassment admitting it, the problem was a simple fix. I failed to realize my hood was actually open thus not allowing the remote start to operate. I was surprised there was no "hood open" warning on the dash anywhere.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meder24 View Post
Despite my embarrassment admitting it, the problem was a simple fix. I failed to realize my hood was actually open thus not allowing the remote start to operate. I was surprised there was no "hood open" warning on the dash anywhere.
Great info! I too would have thought there was an "Open Hood" display on the dash. Well at least it was a no-cost simple repair that are few these day on any vehicle let alone on the Nitro! Thanks for sharing!

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 113,000 sold)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Old 02-05-2012, 07:48 PM

Did you use your remote to lock the truck? I was unaware that it would lock if the hood was unlocked! So much for anti theft!

MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:11 AM

That is an interesting point you bring up. I did lock it with the remote just like normal. Everything functioned as it normally does. I might go and test it later to see if the alarm actually arms if the hood was open.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 AM

08 dodge nitro w/ factory starter

I purchased my nitro in 08 and never had a problem with the auto starter until now, when i press the button to start my nitro,it either flashes the lights twice and shuts off or won't start at all . so when i go out to start it with the key, it has a very hard time turning over. it acts like it's flooded but there is no change in the exhaust pipe like dark smoke. I do live in ohio. what could be wrong??
Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 AM

Welcome to the forum. Having a hard time turning over could be a sign of a bad battery. I do not have the remote start, so I am really clueless. Good luck in your quest to find an answer.

MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:13 PM

it only has a hard time starting when i first try to remote start, if i don't use the remote start it starts fine and runs fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service