Replacing radio controls in steering wheel - Dodge Nitro Forum
Dodge Nitro Dodge Nitro

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Audio/ Video/ Navigation / Electronics Discussion

Audio/ Video/ Navigation / Electronics Discussion Discuss the Nitro A/V and navigation system here, along with other items such as custom installations, alarms, radar detectors, etc.

Dodge-Nitro.com is the premier Dodge Nitro Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM

Replacing radio controls in steering wheel

I posted this in another forum - thought it might be better here.

First post here.

Looking for instructions on replacing radio controls on the steering wheel of a 2007 Dodge Nitro. My son has the new controls but not sure how to remove/replace the controls.

Dont want to set off the airbag - Not mama - the one in the vehicle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

This is a new request and issue I have not seen before. Check back later today and I will see if I can help. Thanks for your post and welcome.

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 113,000 sold)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM

Thanks for your offer to help.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Are you talking about replacing switch 04685728AB as shown as #6 (Right Side) in this image?

Old 07-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

You can find about everything if you search long enough! If I have the correct factory switch number you are planning to replace maybe this will help. Looks like this switch may have been used for several years on other Chrysler vehicles and just not on our Nitros. Before I attempted this replacement myself I would be interested to know what the Dealership would charge to perform this service just to see what I was saving myself. Good Luck and please let us know how it all works out!

Tools needed -
Quote:
#20 Torx screwdriver (long shank).
Metric sockets
Wire strippers
Wire nuts
Razor Knife
Phillips head
Your favorite 6 pack & a sub

First, visit this thread: (it has some helpful info) - http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines...ic.ten?id=65853

Next, download the 2005 Dodge Ram service manual from hemitruckclub.com. You will need to print out the pages only for removing & installing the airbag, removing & installing the instrument cluster, and the pictures showing the configuration of the C4 Cluster behind the instrument panel.

1. DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL AND WAIT 10 MINUTES!!!

2. Remove the upper and lower shroud from the steering column.

3. Remove the air bag. (BE SURE YOU ARE GOUNDED AND STORE THE AIRBAG FACE UP SOMEWHERE IT WONT BUILD A CHARGE. ALWAYS BE SURE YOU ARE GROUNDED WHEN HANDLING THE AIRBAG). If you successfully removed the airbag, have a BEER!

4. Remove the instrument cluster (use a towel to cover the exposed steering column so you do not scratch the plastic cover on the instrument panel)

5. Remove the cruise control buttons from each side.

6. Dremel out the locations for your switches on the back of the steering wheel. You CAN dremel with the steering wheel still on. Holes should be approximately 1" x 1.75".

7. On your new wiring harness, identify which wiring is for the cruise control and horn. Carefully remove them, AND SAVE, so you isolate the wiring for the radio switches. On my new harness, the wires for the radio controls were red/yellow or red/black (cant remember).

8. Before you put the new switches in the holes you just dremeled out, you will need to modify the plug on the switch. As you will see, the plug on the wiring harness will not fit the plug on the switch. Simply cut a little of the plastic on the switch's plug and then you will be able to slide the plug of the wiring harness into the plug of the switch. You will see what I mean.

9. Install the switches. The switches should be installed with the plug/connection point at the top right for the left switch, and with the plug/conection point at the top left for the right switch. VERY IMPORTANT OTHERWISE YOUR SWITCHES WILL BE UPSIDE DOWN).

10. Install the wiring harness onto the switches and reinstall the cruise control switches.

11. Plug the wiring harness into the far right plug on the top of the clockspring. When you remove the airbag, you will see there is a plug missing a wire at the top of the clockspring. This is for the steering wheel contols.

12. With the cruise control wiring you salvaged from your new wiring harness, CAREFULLY remove the wiring from the plastic plug. You need to make sure you salvage the wiring AND "pin" that is inside the plastic plug. You will need to salvage (3) of these and MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE ENOUGH WIRE TO MAKE A SPLICE.

13. At the bottom of the clockspring (outside of the steering wheel), are 2 plugs. One is yellow - This is your airbag plug. The other one should be white - This is the one you want. You will see there are (2) spaces available to fill the plug. On the top/bottom of the plug, there is a tab you need to flip up. Insert the "pin" end of the wiring you salvaged & make sure it is put in the right way. Once you have both spaces filled, flip the tab back down to lock them into place and insert the plug back into the clockspring.

14. Locate the Cluster C4 plug behind the instrument panel. You will see that Slot #12 (MUX connector) is empty. On the C4 plug you will see a white rectangular bar. With your razor knife, carefully raise the white rectangle up (it wont come out all the way). Insert the 3rd salvaged "pin" into Slot 12. Once "pin" is fully seated, press on the white rectangle to secure the pin.

15. One of the wires from Step 13 is a ground and the other needs to be routed to Slot #12 in the C4 cluster behind the instrument panel (which you did is Step 14). Which is which you ask? Trial and error. Run the 24 ga speaker wire for the ground and the connection from the bottom of the clockspring to Slot 12 of the C4 cluster. BEFORE YOU PROCEED WITH TRIAL AND ERROR (i.e. STARTING THE TRUCK), PLUG IN ALL PLUGS ON YOUR INSTRUMENT CLUSTER.

16. If you got it right the first time, then good guess. If not, just reverse the wiring.

17. Button everything back up per the service manual and you are in business. Enjoy.

This should only take you few hours if you have the right tools. Just be PATIENT and extremely careful when removing, handling, storing, and reinstalling the airbag.
LINK:

Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Audio/ Video/ Navigation / Electronics Discussion