Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Dodge Nitro TIPM: totally integrated power module

112K views 67 replies 14 participants last post by  rickaren 
#1 ·
07/03/07 … '07 models built before January 23rd 2007 … RC-G25 …. Reprogram TIPM – Engine Stalling

#3 ·
TIPM (complete power loss)

from daimlerchrysler.....safety recall g25-reprogram tipm-engine stalling. On 2007 dodge nitro and jeep wrangler models it states that the problem is ....the totally intergrated power module (tipm) on my vehicle, was programmed with software that may allow the engine to stall under certain operation conditions. This could cause a crash without warning!!!

Call 1-800-853-1403 for help in this critical matter. If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the administrator, national highway traffic safety adiministration, 1200 new jersey ave., s.e., washington, dc 20590, or call the toll-free vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Good luck to all from mcnabb in louisiana!!!!!

#4 ·
Update On My Blue Dodge Nitro

hello Again, My 2007 Nitro Currently Has About 20.689 Miles On It And So Far No Problems Since I Had The Previous Work Done On It, But I Talked To The Dealer After Receiving The Safey Recall Notice That I Mentioned Above And They Said To Bring In The Vehicle To Get It Serviced In This Matter Even Though The Job Seems To Have Helped Out. Just Letting All Know,

#5 ·
Nitro Electronics Going Crazy!!!

Hi Gents

I drive a Nitro 2.8diesel here in South Africa. I have owned it since new from 2008 untill now. It has 98000kilometres on it and it is due for its last service under maintenance in the next two weeks.

Today my Nitro just went ballistic crazy on the highway. All the lights turned on and some flashed like a Christmas tree, aircon switched on and off, wipers went on, all lights went on, hooter went on without stopping. I immediately got a fright of my life and pulled over the road. When I removed my key, the engine still ran with all of the previously mentioned still going mad.

I actually had to disconnect the battery to stop this. Once reconnected, the Nitro is fine.....for a while. This happened to me 3x times today. I need to get this resolved under maintenance, as I am planning to keep her for a long term period.

Any ideas? Read up on the forum, might this be related to my tank overflowing when I fill up? Please can all of you respond. Any assistance will be appreciated!!!:eek::eek::eek:

#6 ·
More than likely, it is a bad TIPM (computer). My Jeep Commander did this, but it ended up needing a new ignition switch.

:cool:

#7 ·
Driver Claims Car is "Possessed"

A Brookfield woman claims her car suffers spontaneous electrical problems.

11/30/2012

Video

Imagine driving down the interstate, when your horn unexpectedly starts blaring, your wipers turn on and your dashboard lights up. You'd have to pull over just to be safe.

A family in Brookfield told the Troubleshooters it's happened to them countless times.

Kelly Luf said her 2008 Dodge Nitro is "possessed".

"You're like a one person parade just driving down the street and your car is just having a party on its own," Luf said.

Luf said the vehicle's transmission has gone out several times during these experiences. She said it was like “hitting the brakes.”

"You have to kind of pull over. Let it run its course," Luf said.

Luf said her vehicle continues to have electrical issues for several minutes even after she removes the key.

Luf took videos of her Nitro acting up to help experts figure out why her Nitro keeps malfunctioning. She said she's spent $1,200 at dealerships on diagnostic work, but her vehicle has nothing to show for it.

"It's really frustrating when you bring a car to a dealership or whatever and they say, 'we know that there is something wrong, but there's nothing wrong,'" Luf said.

Kelly said replacing her car is not an option at this time. She and her husband are expecting their first child soon.

There's no telling when the vehicle will act out again.

"I don't like to have the radio on because I feel like I have to be kind of prepared for something to happen," Luf said.

Nick Kopcik is an independent mechanic who has tried to determine what is happening to Luf's vehicle. Kopcik said car computers used to control just engine management, but now they have gotten more sophisticated.

"It's an intermittent problem," Kopcik said. "If the problem doesn't show its head, it's not very easy to find out where the problem is."

Luf filed a complaint about her vehicle with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. According to NHTSA records, there are more than a dozen similar complaints about the 2008 Nitro filed by other drivers.

Chrysler is the parent company of Dodge. The automaker emailed a statement after we asked for a response to the apparent electrical issues with the 2008 Nitro.

"Electrical issues can have a host of causes," wrote Chrysler spokesperson Patrick Hespen. "However, Chrysler Group works to understand and, if appropriate, resolve all customer complaints."

Luf said Chrysler has been in touch with her since the Troubleshooters got involved.

"They made these cars so they should know fix them when there's quirks," Luf said.

But for now, her Nitro is parked in the driveway until someone can finally root-out it's "possession" problem.
SOURCE

#8 ·
Sounds like she needs a new TIPM.

#10 ·
That sounds about right!

#13 ·
NHTSA investigating power modules on Chrysler Group SUVs and minivans

09/30/2014

The Center for Auto Safety is officially petitioning the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to begin scrutinizing alleged problems with the totally integrated power module (TIPM) on about 24 Chrysler Group SUVs and minivans. The advocacy group claims that the part's failure can cause affected vehicles to stall or not start at all. NHTSA is still looking into the accusations and deciding whether a full investigation is actually warranted.

The CAS petition claims at least 70 TIPM failures, but according to NHTSA, six of the complaints are for models that don't have the modules. In 34 of the reported cases, the vehicles refused to start, and in 17 of them the engine stalled. There were also two allegations of smoke and one of a fire. However, none of these affected airbag deployment or resulted in a crash.

This petition isn't the first TIPM-related problem for Chrysler Group. A recent report in the New York Times alleged that it found 240 complaints potentially related to the issue on NHTSA's website alone. In September, the automaker also recalled 230,760 examples worldwide (188,723 in the US) of the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango replace the fuel pump relay circuit inside of the TIPM-7 with one external to the unit. The original part could allegedly cause the models to stall without warning. Even earlier, the company also recalled about 80,000 examples of the Jeep Wrangler and Dodge Nitro in 2007 to have the module reprogrammed.

Autoblog spoke to Chrysler Group about the defect petition and was sent the following statement by email:

"In keeping with sound engineering practice and Chrysler Group's longstanding policy of cooperation with NHTSA, the Company is actively investigating customer complaints and retrieving components from the field for closer analysis. Every Chrysler Group vehicle meets or exceeds all applicable safety standards."

INVESTIGATION Subject : Totally Integrated Power Module Failure
Date Investigation Opened: SEP 25, 2014
Date Investigation Closed: Open
NHTSA Action Number: DP14004
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

All Products Associated with this Investigation
Vehicle Make Mode lModel Year(s)
CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY 2008-2014
DODGE CARAVAN 2008-2012
DODGE DURANGO 2011-2013
DODGE GRAND CARAVAN 2008-2014
DODGE JOURNEY 2008-2010
DODGE JOURNEY AWD 2009-2010
DODGE NITRO 2007-2012
DODGE NITRO 4X2 2007,2009
DODGE NITRO 4X4 2007,2009

DODGE RAM 1500 2009-2012
DODGE RAM 2500 2010-2012
DODGE RAM 3500 2010-2012
DODGEvRAM 4500 2011-2012
DODGE RAM 5500 2011-2012
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 2011-2013
JEEP LIBERTY 2007-2012
JEEP WRANGLER 2007-2014
JEEP WRANGLER 2-DR 4X4 2007-2009
JEEP WRANGLER 2-DR 4X4 RHD 2007-2009
JEEP WRANGLER 4-DR 4X2 2007-2009
JEEP WRANGLER 4-DR 4X4 2007-2009
JEEP WRANGLER 4-DR 4X4 RHD 2009
JEEP WRANGLER SAHARA 2007
JEEP WRANGLER X RHD 4X4 2007
Details

Manufacturer: Chrysler Group LLC

SUMMARY:
In a letter dated August 21, 2014, the Center for Auto Safety (CAS) petitioned the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to initiate a defect investigation into failures associated with the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) installed in Chrysler SUVs, trucks, and vans beginning in the 2007 model year. The CAS alleges that TIPM failures have resulted in incidents of engine stall; airbag non-deployment; random horn, headlight, taillight, door lock, instrument panel and windshield wiper activity; failure of fuel pump shutoff resulting in unintended acceleration; and fires. The petition includes a list of 70 complaints received by CAS that are allegedly related to Chrysler TIPM failures. The petition references a class action lawsuit regarding TIPM7 module failure and 63 of the CAS complaints relate to vehicles equipped with TIPM7 body control modules (1 complaint involves a vehicle equipped with a TIPM6 module and 6 complaints involve vehicles that were not equipped with TIPM modules). This defect petition review will focus on vehicles equipped with TIPM7 modules. Preliminary analysis of the 63 CAS complaints related to TIPM7 equipped vehicles identified 51 reports alleging incidents of engine stall (17) or no-start (34). Three complaints reported incidents of smoke (2) or fire (1). None of the reports provided alleged TIPM failures resulting in airbag non-deployment or unintended acceleration and none of the complaints alleged a crash. In a supplement to the petition, CAS identified 24 crashes from NHTSA's Early Warning Reporting (EWR) database that it believes may be related to TIPM failure and requested that NHTSA review these as part of its petition evaluation. In a September 3, 2014 letter, Chrysler Group LLC notified NHTSA of a safety defect in the Totally Integrated Power Module-7 (TIPM 7) in approximately 188,723 MY 2011 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with 3.6L and 5.7L engines (Recall 14V-530). According to Chrysler, some Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango vehicles may experience a failure in the fuel pump relay within the TIPM which can result in a no-start or stall condition. Thirty-six (36) of the complaints submitted with the petition involve MY 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango vehicles equipped with 3.6L and 5.7L engines. The petition will be evaluated for a grant or deny decision. A copy of the petition will be placed in the public file (NHTSA Ref. No. 10637920).

RECALL Subject : Fuel Pump Relay may Fail Resulting in Stall
Report Receipt Date: SEP 04, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V530000
Component(s):
Potential Number of Units Affected: 188,723
All Products Associated with this Recall
Vehicle Make Model Model Year(s)
DODGE DURANGO 2011
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 2011

Details

SUMMARY: Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2011 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured January 5, 2010, to July 20, 2011, and equipped with either a 3.6L or 5.7L engine. In the affected vehicles, the fuel pump relay inside the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM-7) may fail, causing the vehicle to stall without warning.

CONSEQUENCE: A vehicle stall increases the risk of a crash.

REMEDY: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump relay with one external to the TIPM, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on October 24, 2014. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P54.

NOTES: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Statement: Fuel-Pump Relay
September 20, 2014

Auburn Hills, Mich. - Chrysler Group is voluntarily recalling an estimated 230,760 SUVs to install new a relay circuit that improves fuel-pump relay durability.

A routine internal data review discovered a pattern of repairs involving fuel-pump relays in certain 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs. Further investigation revealed some relays are susceptible to deformation, which may affect fuel-pump function. Such a condition may prevent a vehicle from starting or lead to engine stall.

Chrysler Group is unaware of any accidents or injuries related to this condition.

The fuel-pump relay is located inside the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), which also helps manage other vehicle functions. None of these other functions, including airbag deployment, is affected by the fuel-pump relay.

The recall covers an estimated 188,723 vehicles in the U.S.; 15,898 in Canada; 7,126 in Mexico and 19,013 outside the NAFTA region.

Chrysler Group will advise affected customers when they may schedule service, which will be performed at no cost.

Owners with questions may call Chrysler Group's Customer Information Center at 1-800-853-1403.

SOURCE

#60 ·

09/30/2014

The Center for Auto Safety is officially petitioning the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to begin scrutinizing alleged problems with the totally integrated power module (TIPM) on about 24 Chrysler Group SUVs and minivans. The advocacy group claims that the part's failure can cause affected vehicles to stall or not start at all. NHTSA is still looking into the accusations and deciding whether a full investigation is actually warranted.

The CAS petition claims at least 70 TIPM failures, but according to NHTSA, six of the complaints are for models that don't have the modules. In 34 of the reported cases, the vehicles refused to start, and in 17 of them the engine stalled. There were also two allegations of smoke and one of a fire. However, none of these affected airbag deployment or resulted in a crash.

This petition isn't the first TIPM-related problem for Chrysler Group. A recent report in the New York Times alleged that it found 240 complaints potentially related to the issue on NHTSA's website alone. In September, the automaker also recalled 230,760 examples worldwide (188,723 in the US) of the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango replace the fuel pump relay circuit inside of the TIPM-7 with one external to the unit. The original part could allegedly cause the models to stall without warning. Even earlier, the company also recalled about 80,000 examples of the Jeep Wrangler and Dodge Nitro in 2007 to have the module reprogrammed.

Autoblog spoke to Chrysler Group about the defect petition and was sent the following statement by email:

"In keeping with sound engineering practice and Chrysler Group's longstanding policy of cooperation with NHTSA, the Company is actively investigating customer complaints and retrieving components from the field for closer analysis. Every Chrysler Group vehicle meets or exceeds all applicable safety standards."

INVESTIGATION Subject : Totally Integrated Power Module Failure
Date Investigation Opened: SEP 25, 2014
Date Investigation Closed: Open
NHTSA Action Number: DP14004
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

All Products Associated with this Investigation
Vehicle Make Mode lModel Year(s)
CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY 2008-2014
DODGE CARAVAN 2008-2012
DODGE DURANGO 2011-2013
DODGE GRAND CARAVAN 2008-2014
DODGE JOURNEY 2008-2010
DODGE JOURNEY AWD 2009-2010
DODGE NITRO 2007-2012
DODGE NITRO 4X2 2007,2009
DODGE NITRO 4X4 2007,2009

DODGE RAM 1500 2009-2012
DODGE RAM 2500 2010-2012
DODGE RAM 3500 2010-2012
DODGEvRAM 4500 2011-2012
DODGE RAM 5500 2011-2012
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 2011-2013
JEEP LIBERTY 2007-2012
JEEP WRANGLER 2007-2014
JEEP WRANGLER 2-DR 4X4 2007-2009
JEEP WRANGLER 2-DR 4X4 RHD 2007-2009
JEEP WRANGLER 4-DR 4X2 2007-2009
JEEP WRANGLER 4-DR 4X4 2007-2009
JEEP WRANGLER 4-DR 4X4 RHD 2009
JEEP WRANGLER SAHARA 2007
JEEP WRANGLER X RHD 4X4 2007
Details

SUMMARY:
In a letter dated August 21, 2014, the Center for Auto Safety (CAS) petitioned the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to initiate a defect investigation into failures associated with the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) installed in Chrysler SUVs, trucks, and vans beginning in the 2007 model year. The CAS alleges that TIPM failures have resulted in incidents of engine stall; airbag non-deployment; random horn, headlight, taillight, door lock, instrument panel and windshield wiper activity; failure of fuel pump shutoff resulting in unintended acceleration; and fires. The petition includes a list of 70 complaints received by CAS that are allegedly related to Chrysler TIPM failures. The petition references a class action lawsuit regarding TIPM7 module failure and 63 of the CAS complaints relate to vehicles equipped with TIPM7 body control modules (1 complaint involves a vehicle equipped with a TIPM6 module and 6 complaints involve vehicles that were not equipped with TIPM modules). This defect petition review will focus on vehicles equipped with TIPM7 modules. Preliminary analysis of the 63 CAS complaints related to TIPM7 equipped vehicles identified 51 reports alleging incidents of engine stall (17) or no-start (34). Three complaints reported incidents of smoke (2) or fire (1). None of the reports provided alleged TIPM failures resulting in airbag non-deployment or unintended acceleration and none of the complaints alleged a crash. In a supplement to the petition, CAS identified 24 crashes from NHTSA's Early Warning Reporting (EWR) database that it believes may be related to TIPM failure and requested that NHTSA review these as part of its petition evaluation. In a September 3, 2014 letter, Chrysler Group LLC notified NHTSA of a safety defect in the Totally Integrated Power Module-7 (TIPM 7) in approximately 188,723 MY 2011 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with 3.6L and 5.7L engines (Recall 14V-530). According to Chrysler, some Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango vehicles may experience a failure in the fuel pump relay within the TIPM which can result in a no-start or stall condition. Thirty-six (36) of the complaints submitted with the petition involve MY 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango vehicles equipped with 3.6L and 5.7L engines. The petition will be evaluated for a grant or deny decision. A copy of the petition will be placed in the public file (NHTSA Ref. No. 10637920).

RECALL Subject : Fuel Pump Relay may Fail Resulting in Stall
Report Receipt Date: SEP 04, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V530000
Component(s):
Potential Number of Units Affected: 188,723
All Products Associated with this Recall
Vehicle Make Model Model Year(s)
DODGE DURANGO 2011
JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 2011

Details

SUMMARY: Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2011 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured January 5, 2010, to July 20, 2011, and equipped with either a 3.6L or 5.7L engine. In the affected vehicles, the fuel pump relay inside the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM-7) may fail, causing the vehicle to stall without warning.

CONSEQUENCE: A vehicle stall increases the risk of a crash.

REMEDY: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump relay with one external to the TIPM, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on October 24, 2014. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P54.

NOTES: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Statement: Fuel-Pump Relay
September 20, 2014

Auburn Hills, Mich. - Chrysler Group is voluntarily recalling an estimated 230,760 SUVs to install new a relay circuit that improves fuel-pump relay durability.

A routine internal data review discovered a pattern of repairs involving fuel-pump relays in certain 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs. Further investigation revealed some relays are susceptible to deformation, which may affect fuel-pump function. Such a condition may prevent a vehicle from starting or lead to engine stall.

Chrysler Group is unaware of any accidents or injuries related to this condition.

The fuel-pump relay is located inside the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM), which also helps manage other vehicle functions. None of these other functions, including airbag deployment, is affected by the fuel-pump relay.

The recall covers an estimated 188,723 vehicles in the U.S.; 15,898 in Canada; 7,126 in Mexico and 19,013 outside the NAFTA region.

Chrysler Group will advise affected customers when they may schedule service, which will be performed at no cost.

Owners with questions may call Chrysler Group's Customer Information Center at 1-800-853-1403.

SOURCE
Hi Rick. I'm a new member here at the Nitro Forum and have looked around for the cure to the "windshield wipers activate erroneously" issue on my 2007 R/T. It''s got 210,000 miles on it (bought it used last summer) and this is the main issue I'm having. No blaring horn or any of the other symptoms people have discussed regarding the TIP module. I've looked around the Forum and this module seems to be the possible cause of the issue. Thank you in advance.

#14 ·
complete power loss

Hey guys i have a little bit of an issue i need some help with. I have a 2008 nitro 3.7 v6. started it up backed out of the drive way drove about a foot and it shut off. I have no power what so ever i cant even shift it into natural to move it any ideas what so ever would greatly help.

#15 ·
Hey guys i have a little bit of an issue i need some help with. I have a 2008 nitro 3.7 v6. started it up backed out of the drive way drove about a foot and it shut off. I have no power what so ever i cant even shift it into natural to move it any ideas what so ever would greatly help.
Welcome!

If your issue is not battery related it may be a defective power module. If so and you do have to replace it (no warranty coverage) keep that receipt. It is a common issue discussed here in several Threads here and "Online". My 07 had it's power module replaced early on under warranty and have not had an issue since. Hope this might start you in a direction to solve your issue. Let us know how you get that Nitro running again. Good Luck!

#16 ·
What the Heck is a TIPM?

What the Heck is a TIPM?
Totally Integrated Power Module Issues

The TIPM is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all of the electrical functions of the vehicle, including safety and ignition systems. The lawsuit claims Chrysler has long been aware of the TIPM problem, but refuses to publicly acknowledge it.

A defective TIPM can sometimes make it impossible to start your car. In addition, it can cause any of the following:

The fuel pump not turning off
The airbags not deploying OR deploying randomly
The engine stalling while driving
The horn going off at random times

In other words, having a vehicle with a faulty TIPM is like driving something possessed.

A History of Problems

The lawsuit claims Chrysler is well aware of the problems with the TIPM because 80,894 Jeep Wranglers and Dodge Nitro vehicles were recalled in 2007 for the same problem. In that recall, defective TIPMs had a software issue that could cause the engine to stall.

According to our data, the average TIPM repair cost is $1,200 and owners report the problems can occur under 40,000 miles. Complaint data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration mirrors the reports filed with CarComplaints.com.

The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the most TIPM complaints on file for engine not starting problems, and the same issue is the second most frequently reported complaint on CarComplaints.com over the last 90 days.

#18 ·
I did look into the tipm apparently there was a recall started on that back in 07.So i called the dealer i bought it from and the service department claimed it was done on my vehicle. i did disconnect the batterei for five ten minuets hooked it back up and the horn and windshield wipers starting going. After i changed my huggies i hooked it back up and still nothing.

#19 ·
OK guys I got the nitro to run for about five tens minuets. I unplugged the PCM batteries and TIPM waited about an hour plugged it back in started it up and let it run for a bit turned the key off started it again I did that once more and the horn started blaring along with the wipers. Does this narrow it down to either the TIPM or PCM ??

#20 ·
"TIPM failures have resulted in incidents of engine stall; airbag non-deployment; random horn, headlight, taillight, door lock, instrument panel and windshield wiper activity; failure of fuel pump shutoff resulting in unintended acceleration; and fires. The petition includes a list of 70 complaints received by CAS that are allegedly related to Chrysler TIPM failures."

Engine Stall, windshield wiper activity, & horn. Sounds like a TIPM failure.

Have you disconnected the Nitro battery for a while then hooked it back up? That may and I say May reset the TIPM. If you have not it would be worth a try.

#22 ·
I'm interested.
Now what? If you purchase one or have it installed remember you may receive a full refund from Chrysler because of a Class Action Law Suit. Better yet call Chrysler Customer Service and see what they say or have your Dealer do so. They are not universal (these are VIN specific) and you may have to have it set by the Dealership even if you install it. Again Good Luck!

One member in the past said to check the TIPM ground wire. Doubt that is it and you might have already do that anyway.

Chrysler Totally Integrated Power Module Lawsuit

Defective TIPMs Lead to Power Problems

Judge Says Chrysler TIPM Class-Action Lawsuit Can Move Forward

Amended Complaint - The Center for Auto Safety (now covers ALL Dodge Nitros)

#24 ·
No but there is a defective part and a Lawsuit (if the Totally Integrated Power Module is the issue) on your vehicle!

#26 ·
Power Module Defect Suit

Drivers Tell Chrysler It's Confused In Power Module Defect Suit

By Aebra Coe

Law360, New York (March 30, 2015, 5:43 PM ET) -- Consumers suing Chrysler Group LLC over alleged defective power modules told a New York federal judge Friday that the automaker improperly confused pleading with proof when it argued the class action should be tossed because they can’t prove the company was aware of the problem.

Contrary to the carmaker’s contentions, the 12 plaintiffs from 11 states say their complaint uses “great detail” to allege Chrysler flouted consumer protection laws and breached express and implied warranties by building and selling vehicles with the defective part, which powers...
SOURCE

#27 ·
US safety agency denies request

US safety agency denies request to investigate millions of Fiat Chrysler power control modules

July 28, 2015

DETROIT (AP) — U.S. auto safety regulators have rejected a request from an advocacy group to investigate power system failures in almost 5 million Fiat Chrysler vehicles that potentially could cause stalling and other problems.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in documents posted Tuesday that two fuel pump relay recalls took care of stalling and "no start" problems, and that there was no valid evidence to support the group's other claims.

The Center for Auto Safety, a nonprofit group founded by Ralph Nader, filed a petition last August asking for an investigation. It contended that an electrical power control module used by Chrysler in millions of vehicles since 2007 can go haywire, causing them to stall in traffic and cut off devices powered by electricity. The allegation covered Ram pickup trucks, Chrysler and Dodge minivans, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango and Dodge Journey SUVs, the Jeep Wrangler, and other models.

But the agency said it analyzed consumer complaint data and determined that problems were addressed by fuel pump relay recalls.

"No valid evidence was presented in support of claims related to air bag non-deployment, unintended acceleration or fire" due to problems with the power control modules, the agency wrote. "These claims were found to be wholly without merit based on review of the field data and design of the relevant systems and components."

In September of last year, Fiat Chrysler recalled nearly 189,000 2011 Grand Cherokees and Dodge Durangos to fix the fuel pump relays. Then it added 338,000 2012 and 2013 vehicles in February.

NHTSA said additional investigation was unlikely to bring a finding of a safety defect, so it denied the petition.

Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the center, said he considers the two recalls a victory because the fuel pump relay is part of the power control module. The only remaining issue, he said, is whether all the vehicles with stalling problems were covered by the recalls.

"We're going to continue to monitor this," he said.

SOURCE

#28 ·
More than 500,000 Chrysler vehicles have now been recalled

Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2015

Recall: More than 500,000 Chrysler vehicles have now been recalled

Georgians who drive 2012-2013 Dodge Durangos and Jeep Grand Cherokees should watch their mail for a recall letter announcing the fix for a problem that consumer investigator Jim Strickland highlighted months ago.

Nick Cooper of Barrow County told Strickland about stalling problems with his Durango. The same day that Channel 2 aired the video in February, Fiat Chrysler expanded a recall from 2011 models like Cooper’s to include those from 2012 and 2013.

More than 500,000 vehicles have now been recalled to fix the fuel system component in an under-the-hood electronic brain known as a TIPM. Cooper's recall appears to have solved his stalling.

"It was more or less a patch, a roundabout way of fixing the issue without replacing the total problem," he said.

Federal regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have decided that those recalls are action enough. The agency has dropped any further investigation into complaints of TIPM malfunctions in nearly two dozen other models.

"Here you have NHTSA not even investigating the TIPM module and giving it a clean bill of health, which is just wrong," auto safety advocate Clarence Ditlow said.

Ditlow had petitioned for the investigation and a recall of 4.7 million TIPM-equipped cars

"What NHTSA's not considering is these cars are stalling on the roads, and they are accidents waiting to happen," he said.

A separate class-action settlement expected to be finalized next month will reimburse drivers who got repairs before the recall. It also covers only three model years of Grand Cherokees and Durangos.

Drivers of other cars are involved in a second lawsuit filed in New York.

"Consumers are still having TIPM modules fail in these vehicles.They're paying $1,100 to $1,200 to get them repaired," Ditlow said.

A spokesman for Fiat Chrylser said the company won't comment about court cases until they're finalized.

The company issued a blanket statement that its cars meet federal safety standards.

SOURCE

#29 ·
Chrysler Agrees to Settle Dodge and Jeep TIPM Lawsuit

Chrysler Agrees to Settle Dodge and Jeep TIPM Lawsuit
TIPM lawsuit settlement reached that affects 500,000 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs.

09/20/2015

Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee TIPM problems will finally be fixed after a federal judge granted preliminary approval to a "totally integrated power module" (TIPM) class-action lawsuit. The original lawsuit included numerous Chrysler models, but the settlement agreement includes over 500,000 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs.

The settlement stipulates Fiat Chrysler is not admitting a defect or that a liability exists and the automaker has only decided to settle to avoid costly long-term litigation.

The TIPM lawsuit alleges Chrysler sold and leased model year 2011-2013 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs equipped with defective "totally integrated power modules, which allegedly cause a variety of electrical problems including non-starting, stalling and fuel pump problems.

The plaintiffs claim Dodge and Jeep owners have spent a small fortune on unneeded repairs for batteries, fuel pumps and other car parts, all while the real trouble was caused by defective TIPMs.
Chrysler ordered a recall in September 2014, but that recall included only the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs. Then in February 2015, another recall was ordered for the 2012-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs.

As part of the settlement agreement, Chrysler acknowledges that finalization of the terms of the agreement is based on a voluntary recall of 2012-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs to install a stronger pump relay external to the TIPM-7. The recall is based on findings the SUVs can experience failures in the fuel pump relay within the TIPM-7 that could result in a stall condition or the inability to start the SUVs.

Chrysler says in the recall notices sent to owners, it has offered, or will offer affected owners reimbursement for out-of-pocket costs for prior repairs of the TIPM defect. Owners can get back the $1,100 to $1,200 repair cost of a TIPM-7 module and for the cost of a rental vehicle.

As part of the settlement agreement, Chrysler will reimburse owners for costs for prior repairs including an offer to reimburse part and labor costs for not only the fuel pump relay condition, but also related parts and labor and rental car costs so long as such expenses are supported by appropriate documentation.

However, FCA US will make an attempt to locate the documentation if the owner cannot provide it.

Chrysler also agreed to extend the warranty period for the external fuel pump relays installed in accordance with the recalls. Owners of the 2011-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs are covered by a 3-year/36,000-mile warranty on certain vehicle components.

The warranty extension will cover a period of seven years from the original date of sale of the vehicle or 70,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. The automaker agrees that it will repair or replace the external fuel pump relay free of charge during this extended warranty period.

The Center for Auto Safety (CAS) tried to wake-up the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) about Chrysler TIPM problems, but the government ignored CAS and never opened an investigation even though years of complaints stacked up about the Dodge and Jeep TIPMs.

"The Safety Act requires NHTSA to grant or deny a defect petition in 120 days. NHTSA took 337 days to deny CAS’ Defect Petition, failed to obtain a single document from Velasco [the plaintiff] including ones that showed Chrysler began an investigation more than a year earlier than it told NHTSA, and used the 337 days to construct a strawman denial of the CAS Petition." - Clarence Ditlow, Center for Auto Safety

The Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee TIPM class-action lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California - Velasco, et al. v. Chrysler Group LLC.

The plaintiffs are represented by Girard Gibbs LLP, and Schneider Wallace Cottrell Konecky Wotkyns, LLP.
SOURCE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.