Tow Package add on help - Dodge Nitro Forum
Dodge Nitro Dodge Nitro

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro News & Polls > Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News Find out the latest scoop here!

Dodge-Nitro.com is the premier Dodge Nitro Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 10:54 AM

Tow Package add on help

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some advice.

I have an o8 nitro, when I went shopping I was originally looking for one with a tow package because I was going to haul snowmobiles etc, most everything under 2000#.

My dealer gave me a sweet deal on a gorgeous Nitro with 24C , sun & wheels, and a few other things, but no tow package. Anyway he thru in the hitch & harness as part of the deal. I thought that would work based on what I planned on towing.

Well.... I am looking at a 50% off deal on a atv/landscape trailer. It a great trailer and I hate to pass on it. The trailer weighs 900# and GVW 2900. When I do tow stuff over 2000# it wouldn't be for great distances. Do you think if I have dealer installed Trans cooler put on it will cover me. I have done this before on other vehicles and never had any issues. Not sure why you would need a power steering cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

I always buy/order (last 3 SUVs) vehicles with the trailer towing packages and never pull anything! I know it is a great value to have this option factory installed and always felt that any subsequent owner would view it as a plus. When you figure adding on all these options after the fact the cost may be prohibitive. Years ago just pulling a race car trailer required adding a AT cooler & rear shocks to my El Camino. What does the Owners Manual say about towing? (w/o package)

I see that Chrysler sells:
Transmission Cooler

Regular Price: $ 158.00
On Sale For: $132.00

Description: Greatly extends the life of the transmission by reducing high temperatures associated with off-road or heavy-duty operations. Recommended for heavy-duty trailer towing.

LINK: Affordable Parts and Accessories wholesale to the public.

nuffer I think this addition would be well worth the investment and Good Luck and enjoy your new Nitro!

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 113,000 sold)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Old 11-13-2008, 06:12 AM

Dealer is going to install an axillary trans cooler for $300, which will then be covered in the wrap / drive-line warranty. Also that should do the trick for towing. Quite honestly there isn't that much additional in the tow package. I've been towing stuff for 25 years and never heard of the need for a power steering cooler? The extra large Radiator is nice, but not a necessity.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuffer View Post
Dealer is going to install an axillary trans cooler for $300, which will then be covered in the wrap / drive-line warranty. Also that should do the trick for towing. Quite honestly there isn't that much additional in the tow package. I've been towing stuff for 25 years and never heard of the need for a power steering cooler? The extra large Radiator is nice, but not a necessity.
Have fun with your Nitro and that extra warranty on that Dealer Installed trans cooler is a plus I did not know was available. I though the tow package might also include HD shocks too, but I may be wrong. Again thanks for your post since it may benefit another proud Nitro owner with similar concerns and questions. Enjoy the snow!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:30 AM

Just an FYI I went on the Dodge web site and found the trailer tow group includes the following if factory installed:
* Heavy-duty engine and power steering coolers
* Class III hitch receiver
* Full-size spare tire
* Trailer tow wiring harness
* Class III weight-distributing trailer hitch.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:17 PM

Cooling units are on truck

OK how about this, I have my dealer order the auxiliary Trans cooler, when he gets it out of the box it ends up Chrysler sent the wrong part. So my dealer on a hunch plugs in my Vin # to the mopar system and low and behold there result came back with my Nitro having the trans cooler option on it. So they call and tell me that and save me $300. The service guy was stunned when I told him that the trans cooler was not listed on the sticker.

So today I gotta see it for myself so I go underneath the truck and sure enough there's this big ass trans cooler in front of the radiator. I followed the lines to be sure and they go right to the transmission. Then I spot another cooler, which turns out to be the Power Steering cooler. I tried to see if it also had the oil cooler but couldn't see up in there and not really sure what I was looking for.

So I'm not sure what happened, is it possible dodge built the truck with the Tow package, then realized it wasn't ordered with one and just didn't put a hitch & harness on it and sent it on it's way and didn't list on sticker.

Very weird, but to my advantage.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Nice to hear from someone that "lucked out" and was not short changed. Don't know why your vehicle had these coolers factory installed w/o the hitch. Maybe you had the Police Nitro HD Package installed by mistake! Just kidding, but all Police Vehicles do have all these coolers as standard equipment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro News & Polls > Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News