Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Side view mirrors Dodge Nitro

24K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  rickaren 
#1 ·
Mirrors

Thinking of painting my side mirrors to match the Inferno Red... Does anyone know how/if they can be taken off? - how to remove the actual mirror from it's housing?

And maybe some good tips on painting the plastic... :D

#3 ·
Mirrors Issue

I now have 5k miles on my R/T. I am proceeding with mods to personalize the car and I love it. I have one little problem: I have had several close calls dealing with freeway traffic in the massive blind spots encountered with the stock R/T side mirrors. I think the design has them located too far away from the side of the car. I have looked for improved replacements and no cigar. MUTH did say they will have Nitro mirrors in December. I am now real gun shy changing lanes and have spent a lot of time adjusting the mirrors to minimize the blind spot but I can't seem to get rid of it. I am surprised that nowhere on this forum have I read one word about anyone's dissatisfaction with the side mirrors. Am I the only one out of step ?? All help/suggestions will be much appreciated, and I will get the pics up just as soon as I have time.

Fishdist:confused:

#28 ·
Mirrors Issue

I now have 5k miles on my R/T. I am proceeding with mods to personalize the car and I love it. I have one little problem: I have had several close calls dealing with freeway traffic in the massive blind spots encountered with the stock R/T side mirrors. I think the design has them located too far away from the side of the car. I have looked for improved replacements and no cigar. MUTH did say they will have Nitro mirrors in December. I am now real gun shy changing lanes and have spent a lot of time adjusting the mirrors to minimize the blind spot but I can't seem to get rid of it. I am surprised that nowhere on this forum have I read one word about anyone's dissatisfaction with the side mirrors. Am I the only one out of step ?? All help/suggestions will be much appreciated, and I will get the pics up just as soon as I have time.

I am having the same issue. My side views are obstructed. Very dangerous. The mirrors are too big!!!!

#4 ·
Hey Fishdist.

fishdist said:

I've seen remarks alluding to the problem you've mention. My wife has the same problem .I think it begins with being to close to the drivers side mirror. I have my seat all the way back and seem to get a good field of vision.When I move the seat forward the field of vision shrinks. You may want to add those stickon , round,small, reduction mirrors that can be pressed in the lower half of the existing mirrors.They are about 2 inches in dia. and can be found in most Pep Boys/Whitney stores.They DO work well. Hey Fish ,they Kinda screwed up your bay fishing Huh .:mad:
Florida Roadie.
AKA Buzz

#5 ·
Nobody else checked this out yet? Has got to be some way to get them off...

#6 ·
Roadie,

I am tall, have the seat all the way back and have the seat back leaned back a couple notches more, but still no cigar. I am waiting for an aftermarklet item which will improve on the stock units. lacking that, I will look for some other stock items that may be comaptible, perhaps off one of the Jeeps. With a couple hours a day of nasty Northern Calif freeway commute action, I am definitely looking for some improvement. Bigger mirrors, and ones designed to sit closer to the body sides yet still swing away. I have held off getting my stock units painted body color pending replacement with better mirrors. At this point, I am more interested in function than aesthetics, but will go with body color one way or another.

Thanks for the input.

Fishdist

#7 ·
Mirror issues.

fishdist said:
Roadie,

I am tall, have the seat all the way back and have the seat back leaned back a couple notches more, but still no cigar. I am waiting for an aftermarklet item which will improve on the stock units. lacking that, I will look for some other stock items that may be comaptible, perhaps off one of the Jeeps. With a couple hours a day of nasty Northern Calif freeway commute action, I am definitely looking for some improvement. Bigger mirrors, and ones designed to sit closer to the body sides yet still swing away. I have held off getting my stock units painted body color pending replacement with better mirrors. At this point, I am more interested in function than aesthetics, but will go with body color one way or another.

Thanks for the input.

Fishdist

Hey Fish..Have you tried Speeding.co.uk Check out some of their offerings .Items like "Danger Zone Safety zone mirror" or "Suck it and see " also Blind spot mirrors. They may not have exactly what you want but maybe what you need !! Beats the sh*t out of becoming road pizza .:eek:
Roadie.:D

#9 ·
Florida Roadie said:
Hey Fenrir.no ..Looks like you need to pop the inside door liner to access the bolts that are holding the mirror .
That is correct. I would be very careful removing the door panel. Dont pull too hard or you might crack the plastic. It is very brittle in some places.

Once there, you will see it is very easy to remove the mirrors. If you have heated mirrors you will need to unplug them as well but it is still a very easy removal.

I would finish the plastic first with a 120 grit sandpaper then 200 then use a filler primer with a good heavy (not dripping) coat and prep sand it with 320. It may be necessary to put a second coat of filler primer and lightly re-sand to achieve a good clean and smooth paint job. Remember the top coat can only look as good as the base. I have done this on a couple of cars before and it can be quite time consuming but worth every minute in the end. I personally think it looks 100% better than chrome when it is done right.

Do youself a favor and dont just pull them off and paint them as is. Do the prep work. I have seen the raw mirrors painted and it looks like the worse orange peal paint job you have ever seen. You can see every nook and crany from 10 feet.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Allan

#10 ·
fcsallan said:
That is correct. I would be very careful removing the door panel. Dont pull too hard or you might crack the plastic. It is very brittle in some places.

Once there, you will see it is very easy to remove the mirrors. If you have heated mirrors you will need to unplug them as well but it is still a very easy removal.

I would finish the plastic first with a 120 grit sandpaper then 200 then use a filler primer with a good heavy (not dripping) coat and prep sand it with 320. It may be necessary to put a second coat of filler primer and lightly re-sand to achieve a good clean and smooth paint job. Remember the top coat can only look as good as the base. I have done this on a couple of cars before and it can be quite time consuming but worth every minute in the end. I personally think it looks 100% better than chrome when it is done right.

Do youself a favor and dont just pull them off and paint them as is. Do the prep work. I have seen the raw mirrors painted and it looks like the worse orange peal paint job you have ever seen. You can see every nook and crany from 10 feet.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Allan
Thanks Allan, I'll have a look at the door panels when I get the time next - might be a while :rolleyes: - do you have any recommendations on paint? I already have some Inferno Red (correct color code) and primer from Mopar - is that good enough?

#11 ·
You should be fine with the mopar paint and primer. You may want to add a "bumper mix" latex to the paint before spraying. It makes it a bit more flexible in case the mirror gets hit or someone leans on it. This way it won't crack the paint when the plastic flexes. I have done it both ways with good results.
Let us know how it comes out.

#12 ·
Adding New Mirror ??

Hi Guys,

My Nitro came with just the standard mirror. 2 Questions:

1. Where can I buy the Auto dimming mirror with the electonic link controls?

2. Is the plug already in the nitro up under map light cover or will I have to break into a wire.

Thanks for any help.

#19 ·
I found several aftermarket self dimming mirrors for Nitro but all came with a wiring harness and instructions. Where did you get your mirror? If it was from a wrecking yard why not go back and get the missing harness. If not I suspect you may find your answer there even if the mirror is gone.

Here is a Link to just one of many aftermarket install instructions I found. Good Luck!

Click on Installation Guide Tab @ top
Gentex K2 Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, Gentex Auto Dimming Mirror

#21 ·
I have thought about this issue, but as in many cases members do not add their Nitro year and model to their signature, that handicaps a correct or complete reply.

Did some checking and found that at least in 2007 the rear-view auto dimming mirror was only installed on the SLT and R/T models. Also if you have the optional UConnect, your auto dimming mirror is included in that package. This help?

Being a Chrysler Parts Manager in the past for ten years, you see about everything!

Two other things come to mind if you have the wrong rear view installed in your Nitro. Sometimes when the Service Department needed a new part that was not stocked, they would just steal from a new car in stock, and tell the Parts Department to order it for stock # ???. This worked just fine unless the vehicle was sold before the new part arrived or just was never installed.

Another issue could have been poor quality control from the Factory, and the wrong mirror was installed when built. Who know what really happened?

#22 ·
i'm so happy to have such a friend like u...

same thing came to my mind for a while, but now i'm sure about that when i read this.

i'm going to test my 4 pins in my dim mirror to see the +pos and -neg pin then take a direct link power from the interrior light
it's really sad thing my 08 sxt nitro have such option and cant use it

#23 ·
Regular use of your mirrors is an essential part of safe driving. You need to be aware of what is happening around you all the time. Operating your car or truck with a damaged or missing side view mirror is dangerous. Don’t risk the high cost of tickets or impound fees, or have your vehicle fail inspection. Get direct replacements by Replace for your factory originals at affordable prices. You can read more information about Replace at CARiD.com.

Find out more information about direct replacement side mirrors created by Replace here:
http://www.carid.com/2011-dodge-nitro-side-mirrors/replace-side-mirror-1101123.html

* Direct replacement;
* Installs the same as factory unit, requires no modifications;
* Backed by a limited lifetime warranty;
* Good to fit: Dodge Nitro 2011;

Here also is a link to general Replace side mirrors installation instructions. Take a look, hope you find it helpful:

Also check out this pair of power side mirrors by Sherman:
http://www.carid.com/2011-dodge-nitro-side-mirrors/sherman-side-mirrors-33211313.html

* With power operation;
* Textured black;
* Completely street legal;
* Backed by a limited lifetime warranty;

So, whether you have power mirrors, heated mirrors, folding mirrors or built-in turn signal mirrors, check all available options here: Dodge Nitro side view mirrors at CARiD

Before you hit the road, adjust your side and rear view mirrors so that you have clear visibility in each of them and remember "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear".

#24 ·
2010 Dodge Nitro Side View Mirrors

2010 Dodge Nitro Side View Mirrors

Dodge Nitro 2010, Side Mirror by Replace®. Damaged or broken mirror housings make your car unsightly, but driving with cracked or missing mirror glass can be dangerous, not to mention illegal. Don't risk your safety or run afoul of...

Dodge Nitro Power 2010, Power Side Mirror by TYC®. A damaged or faded mirror housing makes your car unsightly, while a cracked or missing mirror glass makes driving dangerous. Don't risk your safety because of the high cost of an OE mirror! TYC side view mirrors are direct replacements for the factory parts but cost much less.
TYC Warranty TYC About

Features:

OE quality at an affordable price
Direct replacement
Installs the same as factory unit
Installation requires no modifications
Limited lifetime warranty

Cars and trucks with busted and even missing mirrors - drive around and you'll see them everywhere. With all those narrow streets filled with parked cars, mirror-to-mirror contact is inevitable. And that's how we lose our mirrors. Sure, newer cars have folding mechanisms to bring the mirrors close to the body and out of harm's way, however even that feature cannot save mirrors from damage. Eventually, you have to get a replacement. But going to the dealership to buy an OE side mirror replacement can be so expensive! Well, with TYC you can forget about the dealer.

TYC side view mirrors are identical to the OE parts in every way: same quality, same method of installation. They are not some cheap universal fit parts that require modifications for fitment. The TYC mirror will look, mount, and function exactly the same as the factory unit. Power and heated mirrors have the same electrical connectors, for a plug and play installation. The only thing that's different is the price. TYC side view mirrors are so reasonably priced that there's no reason to live with a disfigured vehicle or endanger anyone by driving an unsafe car or truck. TYC is so confident in the quality of its mirrors that the products are backed by a limited lifetime warranty for as long as the original purchaser owns the vehicle on which the part is installed.

SOURCE

ALSO check out:
Side Mirror Glass

Dodge Nitro 2010, Side Mirror Glass by K Source®. Fits Mirror: Power, Non-Foldable. This replacement side mirror glass is a perfect solution if you need to replace broken, cracked, or missing glass in your side view mirror and...
Direct OEM replacementGreat option for replacing your side view mirror gl

#25 · (Edited)
Replacement Side Mirrors

etrailer | K Source Replacement Mirrors - Replacement Standard Mirror - KS60588C Review

Published on Feb 16, 2016

Today we're going to be taking a look at the K-Source replacement side mirror for the driver's side of your vehicle. This product fits a 2007 to 2012 Dodge Nitro. The side view mirror is going to be a direct replacement for the driver's side factory mirror on your vehicle. This is modeled after the manufacturer's original look and fit. It does feature power remote capability. That way you can adjust the mirror face position by using the factory power controls from inside the vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.