changing tail/brake lights? - Dodge Nitro Forum
Dodge Nitro Dodge Nitro
 

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Dodge Nitro - if it doesnt fit in a more specific section, use this.

Dodge-Nitro.com is the premier Dodge Nitro Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18
changing tail/brake lights?

I assume to change the brake lights, you need to pop out the two fasteners on the tail llight assembly and from that point it is pretty obvious?
I'm a little concerened about putting the fasteners back in. Is there any secret to getting them back in?
I have a bad brake light.
jim
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 AM
rickaren's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 13,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpoc454 View Post
I assume to change the brake lights, you need to pop out the two fasteners on the tail llight assembly and from that point it is pretty obvious?
I'm a little concerened about putting the fasteners back in. Is there any secret to getting them back in?
I have a bad brake light.
jim
No you should have no issues. I thought the same thing when I removed mine to install accessory chrome lens trim. Good Luck and thanks for your Post. I would recommend you look at your owner's manual's instructions if you have not.





__________________
Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 113,000 sold)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18
Well i worked on it tonight. I firued I could get apart but was worried about the fasteners. I found thru the web that the fasteners stretch out to help in putting them back in and that helped putting it back together.

The problem though wasn't fixed.
When I step on the brake, my right tail light asembly lights up on the top light and the middle light.
The left side the middle light does not light up.
This is with the headlight off and just stepping on the brake.

I looked at the bulb int he second position and it loked fine.
I replaced it with a new one and it didnt like up still.
I replaced the middle one with the top light bulb that original worked would not work in the middle position.

Is there any obvious things Im missing that might cause the middle bulb on one side to not light up?

A few months ago, my wife backed the right side tail light assembly into a pole and it had to be replaced. I doubt that would have anything to do with the left side, but I thought Id mention it.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 PM
rickaren's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 13,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpoc454 View Post
Well i worked on it tonight. I firued I could get apart but was worried about the fasteners. I found thru the web that the fasteners stretch out to help in putting them back in and that helped putting it back together.

The problem though wasn't fixed.
When I step on the brake, my right tail light asembly lights up on the top light and the middle light.
The left side the middle light does not light up.
This is with the headlight off and just stepping on the brake.

I looked at the bulb int he second position and it loked fine.
I replaced it with a new one and it didnt like up still.
I replaced the middle one with the top light bulb that original worked would not work in the middle position.

Is there any obvious things Im missing that might cause the middle bulb on one side to not light up?

A few months ago, my wife backed the right side tail light assembly into a pole and it had to be replaced. I doubt that would have anything to do with the left side, but I thought Id mention it.
Several things come to mine. Since someone else worked on your lights before could they have used the wrong bulb in the wrong socket, or have the sockets in the wrong location? I think I would find a helper (Wife?) and a test lamp. Below is a list of the proper bulbs to use @ each location. Also you need to check your fuses for the RIGHT & LEFT REAR LAMPS. Yes M-17 and M18.







__________________
Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 113,000 sold)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 PM
rickaren's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 13,699




__________________
Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 113,000 sold)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2010, 04:50 PM
jhnhopkins's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 129
License plate lamp

Hi Rick. I don't suppose you've pulled the licence plate lamp bulb? Just spent 15 minutes twisting and tugging with the tips of both index fingers trying not to break it. Is there a secret?
Regards, John Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 PM
rickaren's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 13,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnhopkins View Post
Hi Rick. I don't suppose you've pulled the licence plate lamp bulb? Just spent 15 minutes twisting and tugging with the tips of both index fingers trying not to break it. Is there a secret?
Regards, John Hopkins
Sure just pulls straight outward, it's a regular type #168 push-in. Buy a couple of new ones and see how it just pushes in and replace both at the same time. Good Luck and it is really simple like everything the second time! Ha Ha
__________________
Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 113,000 sold)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > General Discussion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Altezza euro tail lights? 07nitr0 Interior/Exterior Appearance & Modifications 5 12-18-2009 02:57 AM
Changing headlight bulbs by hand? The Swede General Discussion 5 07-18-2009 12:46 PM
Video of My HID Lights on Nitro jas_Oz Interior/Exterior Appearance & Modifications 1 07-22-2008 03:27 PM
Let's be careful here, the future trucks and SUVs changing? rickaren Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News 0 02-28-2008 08:11 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.