Dodge Nitro Forum banner

check engine light and no start

14K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  rickaren 
#1 ·
About a month ago my 07 Nitro had the check engine light come on and then wouldn't start. I used a jump box on it the next three time I started it. After the third time the check engine light went off and it has started fine since then, till yesterday. It all of the sudden done the exact same thing. Any idea?

#2 ·
#4 ·
I would test your battery. A bad cell can cause this - one day the battery is good, next day car won't start. Good luck.

:cool:

#6 ·
On mine, there is a small red wire with a inline fuse going to the positive terminal on the battery and a small black wire going to the negative terminal. These are for an electronic trailer brake controler, part of the Factory Trailer Tow Group. If one were to hook up an electronic trailer brake controller, there is a red (I think it is red) wire taped off up under the dash, either by the steering wheel or driver's side kick panel, to connect the controller. This is all part of the wire harness that runs from the battery, back to the 7 pin connector by the receiver. I hope this is what you are asking.

#8 ·
No need to thank me. This is what the forum is all about.

#9 ·
Engine Light Is On: 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro - What to Do

Engine Light Is On: 2007-2011 Dodge Nitro - What to Do

Video Description

A check engine light can indicate a broad spectrum of problems with your 2011 Dodge Nitro. In some cases you need to pull over immediately to prevent damage while in others you merely need to tighten you gas cap next time you stop in order to reset the service engine soon light. The video above shows how to locate the on board diagnostics (OBD) plug on your 2011 Nitro, how to read the trouble codes and how to reset or clear the check engine light using a scanner on your Nitro.

Intermittent Check Engine Light: If the check engine light on your 2011 Nitro is intermittent, try to take note of the conditions when this happens. For example, does it happen when you accelerating, driving on the highway or does it appear at low speeds? This will help your mechanic evaluate the issue. Steady Check Engine Light: If your check engine light is on every time you operate your Nitro, you need to have it checked as soon as possible, especially if you notice performance problems or unusual noises. Flashing Check Engine Light: If your check engine light is flashing, stop driving your Nitro and have it towed to your nearest mechanic - you probably have a very serious problem with your car and you risk ruining your engine by driving it. If you are unsure about what your diagnostic trouble codes mean; have your Nitro diagnosed by a professional automotive technician.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.