First Time Oil Change -Tips? - Dodge Nitro Forum
Dodge Nitro Dodge Nitro

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Dodge Nitro - if it doesnt fit in a more specific section, use this.

Dodge-Nitro.com is the premier Dodge Nitro Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Cool First Time Oil Change -Tips?

So I bought a 08 Nitro a little over a year ago. Part of the deal I got was a free year of oil changes. When that ran up, I was going to start doing it myself(costs over $30 bucks at the dealership compared to me doing it for a little over $15). I get down under to locate the drain plug, and oil filter, which in turn led he here. Talk about a whack place to put that part. I did some researching here to find the best possible way to remove the filter, but nothing really helped. I can reach in under there ok, but not sure how I will grip a filter removal tool in there, and pull it out.

I did read one post saying the K&N filter was the best for the Nitro, but those go for at least $20 by me. Does someone have any tips, or even pics on the best way to remove the oil filter? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 09:06 PM

I have heard that the 3.7 is pretty difficult to get the filter out. There is a tool to put on the end of a socket extension that slips over the end of the filter and you turn it off with that. I don't know if that would be feesable.
I use the PureOne filters from Purolator and am pleased with them. If they aren't available try to use WIX filters as they are also very good.
I also prefer to do my own stuff but if something is too much of a PIA then it is worth it to pay someone to do it. What you might want to try is provide the filter and oil and see what they would charge you for just the labor. That way you know you are putting on and in it what you want and you are keeping your knuckles in tact.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the Tips. Any chance you know the name of that tool you put on the socket extender? Thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 08:16 AM

I think it is just called an oil filter wrench, it will be metal and about 1.5" tall and have a 3/8 square hole on the end for the extension.

This one looks like it will grip the sides of the filter like a strap wrench does - OEM - "Cam Action" Import Car Oil Filter Wrench - Fits 2 1/2" to 3 1/8" Filters

This is the one I have used - OTC Tools OTC 6901 - GM Oil Filter Wrench

I just did a search for the images and don't particularly have either brand. The second one is size specific for the particular filter so if you have a couple different cars and want to use that style you would have to get a couple of different ones if the filter size is different.

One thing about the first change, you might want to have the dealer or quick lube shop do it. The filters can be a bear to get off from the factory, I had to mutilate the one on my 04 Ram to get it loose.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Thank you so much the tips.
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > General Discussion