Gas Overflowing - Dodge Nitro Forum
Dodge Nitro Dodge Nitro

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Dodge Nitro - if it doesnt fit in a more specific section, use this.

Dodge-Nitro.com is the premier Dodge Nitro Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Gas Overflowing

11/15/10
Just purchased a 2007 Dodge Nitro SLT with 44,000 miles. Attempted to fill the tank twice, and both times the gas did not shutoff automatically as it should have - it overflowed. Contacted local dealership and they said there is nothing in the car to cause the gas to shut off - it must be in the pump. Contacted Chrysler and they said it might be a solenoid or ??? but that they were not a technician - suggested contacting the dealer. Chrysler said no recall had been issued on this situation. Checked via Google "2007 Dodge Nitro Gas Overflow" and there are many reports to the NSTA about this. What is the next step?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
11/15/10
Just purchased a 2007 Dodge Nitro SLT with 44,000 miles. Attempted to fill the tank twice, and both times the gas did not shutoff automatically as it should have - it overflowed. Contacted local dealership and they said there is nothing in the car to cause the gas to shut off - it must be in the pump. Contacted Chrysler and they said it might be a solenoid or ??? but that they were not a technician - suggested contacting the dealer. Chrysler said no recall had been issued on this situation. Checked via Google "2007 Dodge Nitro Gas Overflow" and there are many reports to the NSTA about this. What is the next step?
Check out this Link:

http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f1...eling-up-4604/

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 113,000 sold)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM

2007 Dodge Nitro Gas Overflowing

11/15/10
Thanks to Rick for the information. I had read everything on the Dodge Nitro site pertaining to this issue. Was wondering if Dodge has any responsibility in this situation, even though my car is no longer under warranty. I see this as a safety issue. That's where I was headed with my original post.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
11/15/10
Thanks to Rick for the information. I had read everything on the Dodge Nitro site pertaining to this issue. Was wondering if Dodge has any responsibility in this situation, even though my car is no longer under warranty. I see this as a safety issue. That's where I was headed with my original post.
Welcome and hope this will help:

I would go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and file a complaint as other NITRO owners have. There is presently NO Recall for this important issue (was lucky to have mine replaced @ no charge) but maybe if enough owners complain Chrysler will be ordered to inspect and replace all defective gas tanks. It is worth noting that this condition usually takes place over time and most were not defective when the vehicle was first purchased.

Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 AM

2007 Dodge Nitro Gas Overflowing

Thanks to Rick for providing the link to the NHSTA site. I registered my complaint today regarding the gas overflowing. I will continue to pursue this issue in hopes that Chrysler will issue a recall, and then we can all get the problem corrected.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:32 AM

Hello, i have the same problem w/ my nitro r/t 2007, gas is constantly overflowing all ove the place when filling up. Where do i go to register this complaint also? Thanks, joe
Old 11-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by copmanjoe View Post
Hello, i have the same problem w/ my nitro r/t 2007, gas is constantly overflowing all ove the place when filling up. Where do i go to register this complaint also? Thanks, joe
Go to (click here)
Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Select Vehicle Owners Tab

Select File A Complaint

Select E-mail, Online Form, or Phone

Old 11-26-2010, 09:55 AM

gas overflow

Thank you, vehicle under extended warranty, I really do not think the dealership will fix this since its not a recall issue "yet".
Old 11-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by copmanjoe View Post
Thank you, vehicle under extended warranty, I really do not think the dealership will fix this since its not a recall issue "yet".
Sure they will! Just explain what the issue is. Most Dealerships have already done several of these replacements after performing the required factory check (fuel tank roll over valve stuck open) on Jeep Liberty or Nitro. Dealership Service Departments just don't do recalls, they solve and repair ALL issues. As a example, if your battery is not charging and the alternator goes out it is repaired under warranty, not a recall.

Others have had their gas tanks replaced under their Extended Service Contract. (usually will require ordering) Some have chosen not to have it done at the present time since times are hard. The only difference is you will be required to pay the Service Contract Deductible. Depending on what coverage you have chosen (usually $50/$100).

Take it in and ask for an estimate to repair. Their computer will show your Service Contract and your cost. Dealerships make money on warranty work, and is a real money maker for them. Good Luck!

P.S. Let us know how it all works out for you!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:01 AM

Rick,
Thank you again for the positive feedback. I just wanted to let you know and the forum thread, I have traded my Dodge Nitro R/T for a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Unfortunately, I was unable to have several warranty problems repaired via 2 seperate service managers. My experience with these service managers was to say the least, 'HORRIBLE" When I tell you that customer service went directly down the toilet with these 2 dealerships I am being kind. I do wish all the other Nitro owners the best w/ their vehicles and Happy Holidays to all.

Last edited by copmanjoe; 11-29-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > General Discussion