Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Dodge Nitro: U-connect microphone

31K views 36 replies 6 participants last post by  rickaren 
#1 · (Edited)
For those of you with factory installed U-connect, where is the microphone located? I want to add u-connect. My radio has the correct buttons, but I'd rather not use the external mic unless I have to. Thanks. :cool:

#2 ·
OK, I have done some searching and have come up with the following:
1. The factory installed U-connect microphone is located on the rearview mirror. Would this mirror come from the factory both with the RES and RER radios?
2. I have an RES/130 radio, which incorporates the buttons for U-connect.
3. In order to add U-connect to my radio, I need to puchase the external U-connect module, part number 82211878. This kit includes an external microphone.
4. I would like to utilize the mirror with the microphone, as I had in my Jeep Commander. The mirror part number is 82211649. The harness I would need for this is part number 82211868.
5. The illustrations I have seen show this harness plugging into the back of a RER radio, which has a built in U-connect module, and not a RES radio like mine. I'm assuming it is plugged into the U-connect module which is incorporated inside the radio.
6. Does anyone know if this harness could plug into the external U-connect module, or the back of my RES/130 radio? Otherwise, I'll be stuck using the external microphone which comes with the module. Thank you for reading. :cool:

#3 ·
RES/130 - AM/FM Stereo Radio with CD/MP3 player. Does NOT include a Sirius satellite receiver. For uConnect Phone, you must use 82211756 with this radio.
[

I remember one member having a new u-connect radio Dealer installed with the mirror. Not only was it expensive but was time consuming taking several weeks, but again anything can be done.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. No, this is not my radio. I have a U-connect button as well as a voice activation button. They both display "not installed" if I push them. The kit you listed is for my radio, but w/o the Sirius Receiver. I have the Sirius Receiver, but I'm not sure what the difference would be. When I get time, I'll trudge on down to my dealer and pick the guy's brains, and see what I can come up with. :cool:

#5 ·
My dealer just received a 2011 Detonator with the same radio as mine, with uconnect and the auto-dim rear view mirror with the microphone, so there is a way to make this work. Last month, I ordered the uconnect kit for my radio, and the PDF installation instructions show the external microphone incorporated as part of the wire harness which connects to the radio. The kit has been on back order for over a month, so I can't confirm this yet. I found the part number for the mirror, and also a part number for a wire harness to connect the mirror to a navigation radio, which has the uconnect built in. I don't see how to connect the mirror to the external uconnect module using this harness, so there has to be another harness to connect the mirror to the external uconnect. If anyone has this set up, can you look to see if there is a part number on your harness? The external uconnect module is mounted under the glove box. Thanks for reading. :cool:

#6 ·
Update

Well, my uconnect unit finally arrived, but I am going to wait to install it. Since I want to add a rear VES, and I want it to work as the one did in my Commander, I have to order a Media Center 230, because it will play DVD's, and the Media Center 130 that came with my Nitro does not. So, I will start with the Media Center 230, change over my sirius subscription to the new receiver and then add my uconnect unit to it. With the Media center 230, maybe I can add the microphone rear view mirror, but this remains to be seen. I will keep you posted as this progresses. Thanks for reading.
:cool:

#7 ·
Update #2

I decided not to wait to update my radio, and went ahead and installed the uconnect system myself. Very easy. The only change I made was to install the microphone in the middle of the overhead, by the front interior ceiling lights, instead of all the way over on the driver's side. From the factory, the microphone is in the mirror, anyway. I had to take it to the dealer to StarScan it; to update my VIN in order for it to work. I had enough points (dealer dollars) left over from my Commander (long story) so this did not cost me anything. Works perfectly. One thing odd, though. This is the unit I ordered:

Item Number UOM Qty Your Price
82211878 Each $257.00
uconnect Phone, Bluetooth wireless Hands-free phone kit. Hands-free calling and allows control of an, iPod through the Radio Controls. To utilize your iPod , a separate iPod harness (PN 82212000) must be ordered separately. Will not work on vehicles equipped with RES Radios w/o uconnect button.- see part number 82211755AB

Fits: Nitro

This is the unit that I received:

Item Number UOM Qty Your Price
82212159 Each $356.00
Hands-free calling is here! Uconnect phone is the exclusive voice-activated, hands-free, in-vehicle communications system. It encourages safe vehicle operation and doesn`t compromise driver control. Uconnect phone allows you to dial your wireless phone through simple voice commands. Uconnect phone includes Bluetooth technology that enables your wireless phone to connect to your vehicle without wires or a docking station. This leading-edge technology will allow you to store your wireless phone anywhere in the vehicle and still maintain connection

Fits: Nitro

The installation guide for both of these is the same, and the one I received lists for $99.00 more than the one I ordered. From the description, the only difference seems to be voice recognition. If I push the phone button, the car links to my phone and address book (T-mobile G2). If I push the voice button, I can control the phone or the radio by voice command.

The ipad harness plugs into the uconnect unit and would end inside the glove box. Handy.

#9 ·
Ok, so I ordered the parts for the UConnect as well as the iPod cable. I have an appointment to "turn it on" tomorrow ($95, which I found a little high, but oh well...). My question is around the install... On the back of the head, there is a big plug and a small plug on the new wiring harness adapter. In the spot where the little plug goes (microphone, I think) there was already a plug in the head. I unplugged it and left it hanging. What is the little plug in the middle of the head unit for, and can I leave it unplugged?

Thank you.

#10 ·
The little plug is the power to the radio. This has to stay plugged into the radio. The big plug is the output to the speakers. There is a harness that comes with the Uconnect module. Unplug the big plug in the back of the radio. Plug the Uconnect harness into the radio. There is another female plug on the new harness. Plug the big speaker plug into this. The other end of the harness plugs into the Uconnect module. The module mounts up behind the glove box. I can't remember where the end of the microphone plugs in, but I'm sure that it plugs into the Uconnect module, or there may have been a female plug on the harness that it plugs into. It does not plug into the radio!

#12 ·
What radio and rear view mirror do you have?

:confused:

#13 ·
I have the REQ with Sat, AUX, and UConnect buttons. I have the mirror with the button, but only half of the plug in the back has wires... Hope that helps. I ran the mic that came with the UConnect package. I put it in the drivers side windshield, just below the headliner...

#14 ·
Can you post a picture of your radio and mirror?

#16 ·
I'm at a loss as to what the small plug is, that was plugged into the back of your radio. Prior to you starting all of this, if you pushed the Uconnect button on the radio, what did you get?

#17 ·
I got the same thing before as I get now... "UConnect not Available" or something like that. I have a appointment tomorrow at the stealership to pay $95 for 15 minutes of work... I will post up my results at that point. I hope all the concern on my part was for nothing.

Thanks again!

#18 ·
Just a guess on my part, but you might have the microphone mirror, and that is what the small plug is for. I'm curious what the dealer tells you now. Good luck.

#19 ·
That is kinda what I was thinking, but the little plug in the head unit had 4 wires and the mic that came with the kit that I plugged in, in its place, had 2. Are there any advantages to using the mic in the mirror, aside from not having one glued to the windshield?

#21 ·
I am pretty happy with the mounting job on my mic. I have all the wires tucked away in the A-Pillars and the mic is mounted on the drivers side up at the headliner. After the install this afternoon I will go thru my options.
Thanks for all of your input.

What is that button on the mirror for? Auto dim?

#22 ·
I believe that it just turns the auto dim on or off. I just keep mine on all the time! Let me know how you make out.

#23 ·
OK, I got it turned on. They must have sent me the more expensive of the kits, as I now have voice activation... I got a discount on it ($241), so I am happy. My phone paired with no issues. I have yet to make a call, but I think that will do fine. My issue now is that I can't for the life of me figure out how to get to the iPod input... There must be a secret... The iPod says "UConnect" on the screen, but I can't get the stereo to go to that input... I press aux and it says nothing is connected (still reading from front input, obviously). Oh well, I guess I will start reading again and try to figure it out. Ideas?

#24 ·
Well, I have a work ticket open with Chrysler's UConnect help line. I am bracing myself for the possible answer that my REQ unit is one year too old for the iPod connection... We shall see. The phone and voice commands work flawlessly.

#25 ·
Glad to see everything worked out for you. Did you find out what the little plug was? I'm clueless with the Ipod integration.
Is your radio a single disc? If you need to upgrade your radio to a newer version, I have a Media Center 130 (single disc) from my 2011, that I swapped out for a Media Center 230 (6 disc).

#26 ·
My REQ is the 6-Disc version and honestly, it sounds very good. I have the Infinity system with the subwoofer. I will figure out what can be done with the iPod connect before I make any drastic changes. I hope it works out, as the iPod itself knows its connected...

#27 ·
That is why I updated mine to the 6 disc player, as it has a built in amp. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to get the rear panel and sub enclosure so I can add a sub in the back w/o taking up too much room. Mine didn't come with the infinity system - damn. When I swapped out the radios, the improvement was 100%. The Kicker speakers added another 50% improvement - deeper bass and much cleaner highs, but I would still like to add the sub.

:rolleyes:

#29 ·
The UConnect folks were very nice and tried to be helpful, but they weren't able to figure out how to fix my issue... It is one of two things. Either my stereo really won't play the iPod or the Dodge dealer didn't use the correct StarScan software. I am thinking that is it... Either way, I am happy with the UConnect, but I really do miss having the iPod...

#31 ·
External Mic?

Hi everyone.

2007 Dodge Nitro R/T. I had the rearview mirror replaced with one that incorporates a rear camera. Surprised to find that the Uconnect MIC was in the OEM mirror. :) Is there an external mic that will plug into the head unit to replace the one in the factory mirror? Not sure what connections are on the back of the head unit

Thanks!
Michael

#32 ·
Hi everyone.

2007 Dodge Nitro R/T. I had the rearview mirror replaced with one that incorporates a rear camera. Surprised to find that the Uconnect MIC was in the OEM mirror. :) Is there an external mic that will plug into the head unit to replace the one in the factory mirror? Not sure what connections are on the back of the head unit

Thanks!
Michael
Welcome Michel!

You might want to check out Upgrading to a MyGig radio

It has this aftermarket MOPAR mic listed

UConnect microphone kit
(alternative to replacing rear view mirror)
All vehicles without factory UConnect 82211743 $ 41.00 Stand-alone remote microphone w/wiring.

Good Luck and let us know how it all works out.

#33 ·
Thanks Rick. From looking at the manual on that link, I believe it already has a MyGig. In that case, I would just need to buy that MIC listed. I'll take a look when its back at the house. Any way to know what is actually in it without tearing it out of the dash first?

Thanks!
Michael

#36 ·
Good info, but anyone know where the stock rear view mirror mic leads end? I’m looking to connect it to my Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX microphone, I know there may be some splicing needed to convert it to a 2.5mm Jack that the Pioneer uses. Any heads up would be appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.