Dodge Nitro 2008 heated seats - Dodge Nitro Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having problems with your Dodge Nitro and want to discuss it, please do so in here. If you need to talk about service that you may need or have received from a dealership, please do so in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Dodge Nitro 2008 heated seats

Hi! I want to upgrade my 2008 SXT with the Mopar heated seats but without this new switches that came with the kit and would be located in front of the cup holders. The heated seats should be controlled at the OEM switch panel in the center console. I already ordered the new OEM switch panel with the heated seats switches.

I need to order the harness and the seat control unit. But for this I need the VIN of a Nitro (2008), that came with factory heated seats. Can someone please send me his 2008 R/T VIN? Or can someone help me with the part numbers for the parts I need to combine the Mopar heated seats kit with the OEM switch panel and computer?

Help please.

Dodge Nitro R/T, 2.8 CRD, 2008
Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985

Last edited by ParadiseSeeker; 09-15-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 PM

I looked into doing it this way, also. I have yet to come up with an answer. The aftermarket Mopar heater kit is 3 way - low, medium, high. The factory kit is only 2 way - low or high. This tells me there might be a different resistor for each kit. No one has been able to answer this for me, so I do not know if a factory harness would work with the Mopar kit. That is why I have not ordered the Mopar kit yet, or the factory switch panel. If you can get the factory harness, let me know if it is compatible with the Mopar kit. Thank you.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

After a week in a Dodge dealers garage I have to say ... it's not possible at all. The OEM heated seats system communicates over the CAN-bus which doesn't accept aftermarket solutions at all.

The Mopar kit is an autarchic system which only connects to the power at the cigar lighter. From the quality it's the worst you can get. Just look at the cheap and stupide looking switches, which are installed by drilling a hole into the center console in front of the shift knob and with an adhesive tape. I would never do this to my Nitro.

I ordered 2 versions of the OEM switch panel, one with and one without the heated seats and will try to bypass the OEM heater switches with the Mopar harness, without having any contact with the CAN-bus.

Dodge didn't think of owners who want to upgrade their Nitro with OEM stuff at all. My SXT has no harness or even plugs to connect a OEM heated seats kit or aftermarket kit with the car. I thought, regardless of the modell, there is one universal harness. But they built a different harness for each version and each option. Thats crazy.

Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseSeeker View Post
After a week in a Dodge dealers garage I have to say ... it's not possible at all. The OEM heated seats system communicates over the CAN-bus which doesn't accept aftermarket solutions at all.

The Mopar kit is an autarchic system which only connects to the power at the cigar lighter. From the quality it's the worst you can get. Just look at the cheap and stupide looking switches, which are installed by drilling a hole into the center console in front of the shift knob and with an adhesive tape. I would never do this to my Nitro.

I ordered 2 versions of the OEM switch panel, one with and one without the heated seats and will try to bypass the OEM heater switches with the Mopar harness, without having any contact with the CAN-bus.

Dodge didn't think of owners who want to upgrade their Nitro with OEM stuff at all. My SXT has no harness or even plugs to connect a OEM heated seats kit or aftermarket kit with the car. I thought, regardless of the modell, there is one universal harness. But they built a different harness for each version and each option. Thats crazy.
This is exactly what I was thinking, after I posted. I didn't even think of the CAN-bus being an issue, but I did think that the 2 version of heaters (factory and Mopar) could be made by different companies and therefore, the harnesses and switches would not be compatible. I did see that Katzkin does offer a heated seat option, but I did not see a picture, etc. and they do seem to be rather expensive.

I am trying to upgrade my radio, but since it works through the CAN-bus also, I am very limited as to what will work, even though all of the radios look alike.

The switch panel with the seat heaters, I believe, has one power connection, with a printed circuit board inside. If this is the case, you'll have to figure out how to isolate the circuits within the switch. Keep me informed as you progress with this project.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Buy the Katzkin heated seats instead of the Mopar. Much better quality and really nice switches. I'm stuck now and really don't know how to finish the installation without using these Mopar switches.

Here is the OEM switch panel without the rear parking assistance button:

Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985

Last edited by ParadiseSeeker; 09-19-2011 at 12:44 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Here is the Mopar switch that came with the heated seats kit:

Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

I found some interesting company, which seems to have the same heating kit as offered from Katzkin. The kits come with really nice looking switches. They write, that it's even possible to use the OEM heater switches. Shit on the Mopar kit!

http://www.heatedseatkits.com/overview.html

Quote:
Correctly installed into your car's seat, our Seat Heating Systems will radiate comfort and warmth, enhancing your driving experience for many years to come! Already have heater seats installed in the driver and passenger seats? You can even install our heater seat kits in the back seats as well! You have the choice of either using the switch that is include in our package or if you are electrically inclined you can even purchase and install the oem heater seat switch from your dealer.

Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985

Last edited by ParadiseSeeker; 09-20-2011 at 01:56 AM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Just found the production company of the Mopar Kit. It's Check Corp (Seatheater.com) and it seems that there really are different versions of the heater switch.

Seat Heater - Heated Car Seat – Automotive Seat Heater – Check Corporation - Products
http://www.checkcorp.com/store/Displ...THER&seat=both

Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985

Last edited by ParadiseSeeker; 09-21-2011 at 03:28 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

At work ...

Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 01:03 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Dutchty
Thats a nice solution

08 Dodge Nitro R/T 4.0 Silver 4x4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

93 GMC Typhoon 4.3turbo, 0-60mph/4,5s AWD Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 Honda Civic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in