Dodge Nitro Forum

Dodge Nitro Forum (https://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/)
-   Problems / Dealer Service (https://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Dodge Nitro: Auto Trans Issues (threads merged) (https://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f11/dodge-nitro-auto-trans-issues-threads-merged-163/)

djdub 11-18-2006 06:40 PM

Dodge Nitro: Auto Trans Issues (threads merged)

Does anyone else notice that the auto trans seems to have a hard time finding the right gear sometimes? It feel as though (when decelerating) that it almost skips a gear and makes the change feel a lot harsher.

Nitro_93727 11-19-2006 11:13 PM

Re: Auto Trans Issues

Yes, it seems sometimes it keeps jumping up a gear and back down, almost like a vacuum line is leaking.. And sometimes in a parking lot it shifts hard into 2nd only doing about 10 mph..

UN4GTBL 11-20-2006 05:56 AM

Our van is really, really rough in its shifts, like ufeel ur in a manual car doing wot shifts, but really ur just going from 30km to like 20 km, and the van jerks hard. I should hope that the Nitro doesnt have this problem, gotta get this checked out i guess...

LVMYNITRO 11-20-2006 04:18 PM

I haven't experienced any hard shifting or anything in the 800 miles so far. The one thing I have noticed that seems very different from any other automatic transmission vehicle I've ever had is that it rolls back when starting off on a slope. I haven't had a chance yet thanks to traffic (LOL) to see just how far back it would roll but it seems considerable.

And when parked on a down slope, going into reverse seems to take a bit for the transmission to finally shift and grab to move backwards.

djdub 11-20-2006 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitro_93727
Yes, it seems sometimes it keeps jumping up a gear and back down, almost like a vacuum line is leaking.. And sometimes in a parking lot it shifts hard into 2nd only doing about 10 mph..

Yes, that's exactly it. I guess I'll have it looked when I take it in for an oil change.

Nitro_93727 11-22-2006 01:18 AM

I will as well :)

4x4 11-26-2006 09:00 AM

I have test driven several automatics and they all had the same problems with the transmission shifting hard, finding a gear, etc. I asked several dealers and they said that there might be a problem with the auto transmissions on the Nitro's... That's why a bought a 6 speed manual transmission and it drives alot smoother and have had no problems with it!

jacksmatrixxx 11-29-2006 07:04 PM

trans

auto trans
any one noticed a whine from trans on 1st and second gear

jacksmatrixxx 11-29-2006 07:08 PM

i was told the engine and trans were from the jeep liberty or is the trans actually new for the nitro

swifty808 11-29-2006 07:23 PM

i think i'll go with the Standard transmission so my gf cant drive it :D