Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Misfires on cyl 2,4,6 wth am i missing!?!?

32K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  rsmakemoney 
#1 ·
Good Morning! ok here is my issue
2011 nitro heat with 4.0L had code P0300 in system.
This is what i have done so far and still getting misfire counts on cyl 2,4,6 only.

Replaced spark plugs
Performed compression test 225psi all cylinders but number 2 which was 220psi.
Smoke test for intake leaks, small leak at the egr tube. replaced gasket and retested ok.
switched coils side to side
switched injections side to side
switched o2 sensors side to side
Tested exhaust backpressure.ok.under 1 psi
checked engine timing,spot on.
check vacuum readings and they are steady at 19 and responds and should during a snap throttle test and driving test.
my adaptions values
short term 1/1 2.9% long term 1/1 8.6%
short term 2/1 1.0% long term 2/1 -4.4%
Had ecm anad tcm updated at dealer
ran tank of techron thru truck also.
I think i covered everything so far i'm baffled as to the cause short of removing the cylinder head and having it checked for cracks

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome trog623

Wow you have done your part and it should be corrected, right? Can't add much. Suppose you have reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery. Battery has been checked and is O.K. Fuel pump checked. Could the plug wires have become damaged? One member here suggested cam sensor. Sorry nothing else, not much help. When you figure it out a post from you would be most helpful to the next guy on what corrected you issue. Good Luck.

Universal P0300 Misfire Detected Code Video Some things to look at when a misfire detected code happens

How To Test Fuel Injectors - REAL EASY!!

Trouble shooting a misfire, Code P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307, P0308 Published on Feb 16, 2014
Misfire Trouble Shooting: 30 to 60 minutes ($50 / $75 / $120)

If your car is running rough at idle or hesitating during acceleration, stalling at idle, there is a good chance that it is misfiring. Most of these car motors function on 100 year old basic principals of a combustion engine. They need the proper mix of AIR, FUEL, SPARK, COMPRESSION and TIMING to operate smoothly, in all of it's cylinders. This video will show and explain how to narrow down your possible problem.

#3 ·
fuel pressure was good also checked that too! 58psi if i remember correctly.
also did a hard reset by disconnecting the battery and jumped the positive and negative leads together for 10 min to make sure all capacitors were fully drained.

are these known to have issues internal with the heads that would cause the one side to flag misses?

whats controlling adaption on these im use to the air flow meters.

#4 ·
Is that the original battery in your Nitro? They really only last about 3 years. If so put that on your to-do list. Not sure it would cause your issues however. Head replacement is not normal for a Nitro.

#5 ·
If you remember, Rick, there was a post about left hand cylinder head cracking in 2011 3.5 V6 engines. Chrysler will cover under warranty.

#6 ·
#8 ·
I have a 2010 Caravan with same issue and have checked compression, cylinder leak down check, injector drop test, fuel pressure check, swapped coils plugs and injectors from one side to the other and the misfires are all on 2,4,6 no matter what I do??? Pulling my hair out, WTF

#9 ·
WOW having had a PO302 error code (#2 cylinder misfire detected) on my 07 Nitro R/T 4.0 engine your issue scares me! I have seen head gasket issues and cam replacements as needed repairs to solve this type of codes. It looks like at least for now I corrected my PO302 error code with a simple additive. Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner - 20 oz. Maybe in my case it was one dirty spark plug or injector? I'm sure if I drove the Nitro more it would not have been an issue.

My R/T is a very low mileage vehicle but lets face it, it is 12 years old and could use replacement of many of what you have done including spark plug wires. Don't know how long this low cost simple repair will keep working but it will go to the Dealer since I do have a backup "Lifetime Power train Warranty" if maintenance replacement items don't solve any future error codes. No way am I going to try to figure out myself and repair my Nitro when I might end up like you and some others just in case it could be a covered engine issue.

I have no suggestions except bad fuel or spark plug wires and hopefully you will find the cause and report back here so we can share the resolve. GOOD LUCK!

#10 ·
Misfires on 2,4,6 what am I missing

I have a 2010 Caravan with same issue and have checked compression, cylinder leak down check, injector drop test, fuel pressure check, swapped coils plugs and injectors from one side to the other and the misfires are all on 2,4,6 no matter what I do??? Pulling my hair out, WTF
nick is online now Report Post

#11 ·
nick is online now Report Post
You have reset your Caravan computer, right? After you ERASE your error code how long before it reappears? What causes it to show again. Idle or driving it?

#14 ·
Good Morning! ok here is my issue
2011 nitro heat with 4.0L had code P0300 in system.
This is what i have done so far and still getting misfire counts on cyl 2,4,6 only.

Replaced spark plugs
Performed compression test 225psi all cylinders but number 2 which was 220psi.
Smoke test for intake leaks, small leak at the egr tube. replaced gasket and retested ok.
switched coils side to side
switched injections side to side
switched o2 sensors side to side
Tested exhaust backpressure.ok.under 1 psi
checked engine timing,spot on.
check vacuum readings and they are steady at 19 and responds and should during a snap throttle test and driving test.
my adaptions values
short term 1/1 2.9% long term 1/1 8.6%
short term 2/1 1.0% long term 2/1 -4.4%
Had ecm anad tcm updated at dealer
ran tank of techron thru truck also.
I think i covered everything so far i'm baffled as to the cause short of removing the cylinder head and having it checked for cracks

Hello by chance, did you figure out what was wrong with your vehicle, or did you give up? I have a 2011 Nitro 4.0L and have the same identical issue. I have just about covered the same items you did, except for replacing the EGR and catalytic converter. This afternoon I plan to replace the oxygen sensors because I read on Identifix that if these are the symptoms, more than likely, it is the oxygen sensor. These sensors have fuel control solenoids, which is the first I have heard of this technology.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.