Dodge Nitro Forum banner

missing on one cylinder

24K views 20 replies 2 participants last post by  rickaren 
#1 ·
long story short, I replaced everything a/c related under the hood. in doing so, I broke the o-ring on the radiator plug so that when it was ran, lost all antifreeze and overheated. When it overheated, I dropped a valve seat. ended up replacing entire engine with a rebuilt one. now since replacing the engine I get a missfire on cylinder one. only cylinder one. I have replaced cam shaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, new spark plugs, new coils, new injector, the only things not new on this engine are the intake and throttle, and map sensor. swapped everything between cylinders, miss stayed on number one. noid light was flashing in injector connector but seemed weak. so used multi meter to check voltage and was less than 1 volt with key on but not started. replaced ecm as the last resort. went from having a solid cel to having just a pending p0301. but I can still feel it's missing. I think I have done everything the other posts here have suggested with no results, any insights would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Welcome scoutman77

Sorry to hear about all your issues! So are you still receiving an error code (PO301) and is that the one and only code you have? Since you have read most of our posts I suppose you have reset the Nitro computer, too. I know it seems far-fetched but how about your battery? They can go bad and cause all kinds of problems.

Dodge Nitro :Battery issues?

If you are only showing the PO301 error code is that what we need to focus on only to address and get your Nitro back to 100%?

Let us know and see what we can come up with. Good Luck!

#4 ·
Sounds like you have already checked out the Nitro Service Manual posted here. I don't find anything of help that you must not have already reviewed. Maybe it is really something like a defective new part. I was a Parts Manager for Chrysler years ago and I have seen it all. Going to keep looking as you have. Please check back. If you had a good Chrysler Dealership nearby I would pay for them to check out the issue for a flat fee and give you a Quote to what they would do to correct your Nitro issue. Problem is they might not know either and after paying you would find they were wrong.

Dodge Nitro ENGINE 3.7L - Service InformationENGINE

MISSES ON ACCELERATION
1. Spark plugs dirty
or incorrectly
gapped.
1. (Refer to
SPARK
PLUG ).

2. Dirt in fuel
system.
2. Clean fuel
system.

3. Burned, warped
or pitted valves.

3. Replace as
necessary.

4. Faulty coil.
4. Refer to

ENGINE MISSES
AT HIGH SPEED

1. Spark plugs dirty
or incorrectly gapped.
1. (Refer to
SPARK
PLUG ).

2. Faulty coil.
2. Refer to REMOVAL
3. Dirt or water in
fuel system.
3. Clean system and
replace fuel filter.

#5 ·
How about Faulty O2 (Oxygen) Sensors

In order to figure out if the check engine light code P0301 (misfire on cylinder 1) is being caused by a fuel injector, you can (in most cases) just switch it with a different cylinder. ... You can use it with spark plug wires, ignition coils (assuming you have a coil for each cylinder), spark plugs, etc.

What Causes a P0301 Code?

Spark Plugs and Wires
Fuel Injectors
Internal Engine Problems such as Low Compression, etc.

Less Common Causes

Faulty Computer
Coil or Coil Packs
Crank or Cam sensors or reluctor wheels
Faulty O2 (Oxygen) Sensors

LINK

Oxygen sensor

Still looking

#8 ·
The reason I sent the WIRING DIAGRAMS is I remember reading where an issue concerning a fuel injector WAS CAUSED BY WIRING. That owner had thought it must have been a defective part and replaced it again, but still had the same issue. When you finally figure out what is causing this error code (you have really done your homework) please report back to help other Nitro owners in the future. Thanks and Good Luck again.

#9 ·

Trouble Codes

The trouble codes are a series of letters and numbers that can help you identify and pinpoint the source of the error message.

Letters:

Each code begins with a letter. These letters help you identify which system the error is coming from. The meanings of these letters are below:

P: The letter P stands for “Powertrain” and covers the fuel system, engine, transmission, ignition, etc. This contains the largest set of codes.
B: B stands for the “Body” which relates to the seatbelts, airbags, power seating
C: C means “Chassis” and covers everything related to the chassis including the brake fluid, axle, ABS etcetera.
U: U means undefined. These relate to the other aspects of the vehicle.

Number:

The letters are followed by a series of 4 numbers. The first number is either 1 or 0. The 0 codes refer to a generic code while the 1 code refers to manufacturer specific code.

The second number refers to the specific subsystem. For example, 7 might mean transmission. Here’s what the other ones mean:

0: Fuel and air metering and auxiliary emission controls
1: Fuel and air metering
2: Fuel and air metering (injector circuit)
3: Ignition system or misfire
4: Auxiliary emissions controls
5: Vehicle speed controls and idle control system
6: Computer output circuit
7: Transmission
8: Transmission

The third and the fourth number refer to the kind of specific problem the code relates to.

Examples:

Code: P0301.

The P means the problem is from the powertrain section.
The 0 represents a generic code shared by all manufacturers.
The 3 represents the subsystem is the Ignition System.
The 01 represents that the cylinder number 1 has a misfire condition.

This could either mean that the dedicated ignition coil has worn out or the cylinder has suffered a leak.

However, these codes do not tell about the actual problem. Instead, they are like symptoms of these problems. For instance, a wiped out alternator will set off a number of 5 codes in other systems with no problem. It is up to you to make the connections and diagnose the root cause.

How to Use an OBD2 Scanner

#11 ·
so, after working on the problem and reworking on the problem, I'm not so sure that it is actually missing, the truck thinks its missing, and after it confirms it shuts off the cylinder, making it miss for real, (not sure that makes sense). the wire has continuity for the injector from the computer. maybe bad cps? I didn't replace that at first when I replaced the engine, only later. I'm about at the end of my abilities. think I may need to take it in to a professional. thanks for all the replies everyone.

#12 ·
Sorry we wern't the help I thought we could be. Maybe you are the first to experience the same issues. If you do find a repair it would be helpful to another if you post your resolve. Good Luck!

#14 ·
scoutman77

OK exactly what is broken. Hopefully it is covered by warranty. Nitro is not prone to mechanical engine breakdowns but electrical ones, yes. Thanks for the follow up. Good Luck with the repair.

#18 ·
I had a PO302 error code (#2 cylinder misfire detected) on my 07 Nitro R/T 4.0 engine. It looks like at least for now I corrected my PO302 error code with a simple additive. Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner - 20 oz. Maybe in my case it was one dirty spark plug or injector? I'm sure if I drove the Nitro more it would not have been an issue.

My R/T is a very low mileage vehicle but lets face it, it is 12 years old and could use replacement of many of what triggers the Nitro to throw this Code including:

Replace Spark Plugs
Replace Spark Plug Wires
Replace Coil Packs
Replace Fuel Injector(s)
Repair Vacuum Leak
Cam or Cam Sensors?
Low Compression?

Don't know how long this low cost simple repair will keep working but it will go to the Dealer since I do have a backup "Lifetime Power train Warranty" if maintenance replacement items don't solve any future error codes. No way am I going to try to figure out myself and repair my Nitro when I might end up like some others with no resolve, just in case it could be a covered engine issue.

Give this a try first as I did and maybe you could solve this issue as I did.

Since the instructions state to add first then fill your gas tank and I already had a full tank I added it anyway and let it set overnight. The next day I started it up and didn't even drive it but let it idle in the driveway for a few hours. I could tell it was not rough idling as before! When I took it for short drives later it appeared to be OK and a few days later I erased the Service Engine Light on the dash with my OBD2 card reader, and it has not come back on!

GOOD LUCK!

#19 ·
Dodge Nitro P0302: Misfire Detected – Cylinder 2

November 28, 2018 by Jason

P0302 is a relatively common Dodge Nitro trouble code. It stands for:

Dodge Nitro P0302 Diagnosis

P0302 is certainly a cause for concern, and can be a threat to the drivability the Dodge Nitro. The nice thing about it is that the P0302 has tracked the problem to a particular cylinder, which makes diagnosing the problems simpler than P0300, which means that the cylinders are randomly misfiring.

It will often be accompanied by codes P0301-P0308. These particular codes indicate that there is a misfire in one of the other cylinders as well.

Fixing P0302 should be a high priority. Unlike a lot of the OBDII codes, this code has to do directly with engine combustion. Driving with a misfire can damage that catalytic converter. Raw fuel is also passing through the cylinder into the exhaust. Mileage may suffer as well when your Nitro has P0302.

Dodge Nitro P0302 Definition
P0302 is a cylinder specific misfire code, which means that cylinder 2 is misfiring and causing the code. An important thing to understand when finding the location of cylinder one is that it’s going to be the first cylinder in the firing order of the vehicle, and not the first cylinder that you might see when looking at the engine.

Nitro P0302 OBDII Code Symptoms
P0302 Dodge Nitro

• The P0302 trouble code will trigger the Nitro’s service engine soon light.
  • The vehicle itself may begin to run rough. It depends on how serious the misfire is.
  • The vehicle may produce excess vibration, especially at lower RPM.
  • Fuel mileage may suffer.
  • You may smell raw gas coming from the tail pipe.
  • The vehicle may backfire.

P0302 Trouble Code Diagnosis- Dodge Nitro
Dodge Nitro P0302 Code Diagnosis

There are quite a few things that can cause the P0302 trouble code to trigger the Dodge Nitro . Here are the most common problems that will throw the code. They are presented somewhat in order from most to least likely to be causing the code:

• Bad Spark Plugs– Spark plugs are one of the most common causes of P0302. Take a look at the electrodes and see if they are in good shape. Most vehicles now come with iridium plugs that need changed very infrequently. That being said, the plugs are a great place to start. Here’s a great video on how to see if a spark plug is bad.
  • Spark Plug Wires– On most modern engines, the plug wires are not nearly as long as they once were, but they can still go bad. Here’s how to tell if your plug wires are bad (video).
  • Coil Packs– Coil packs rarely go bad, but when they do, they can certainly cause P0302 in your Dodge Nitro. Replacing a set can be very expensive. Here’s how to test them.
  • Bad Fuel Injector– If you have a fuel injector that has gone bad, it won’t be able to properly atomize the fuel and you’ll get the P0302. Here’s a good video on how to diagnose an injector, but it can be a little tricky. This is definitely not the place to start.
  • Vacuum leak– If your Nitro has a vacuum leak, it can be very difficult for it to get the right air/fuel mixture. This will cause the cylinders to misfire and it’ll throw the P0302 if the leak is around that specific cylinder on the intake manifold. It’s easy (and kind of fun) to chase one down. Popular Mechanics: How to find a vacuum leak.
  • Cam or Crank Sensors– This one is very unlikely, but it does happen. If the ECU is not getting the right signal from these sensors, the vehicles timing is not going to sync up and it’ll misfire.
  • Low Compression– If you have a leaking head gasket, bent valve, cracked head, etc.. that would cause compression to not be as high as it should, you’re going to get P0302. You should also feel the vehicle is down on power as well.

Most Common P0302 Fixes
P0302 Fix Dodge Nitro

If you follow the items listed above you should be able to fix the P0302. Here’s how to go about it:

Inspect and test the parts of the ignition system around Cylinder 2 to determine whether or not you need to replace the coil packs, plugs, or wires. Most of the time that’ll be it. You can always reset the trouble codes and swap the coil pack, wire, and plug from Cylinder 2 to another.

If you get a different P030X code, you’ll know that one of those three components is bad. Go ahead and replace them or have them tested. It’s an easy, and cheap method of determining if your ignition components have gone bad.

After that you would want to test the fuel injection system. There are links above that’ll show you how to do that. If that doesn’t work, it may be time to do a compression test and see if you have a leak in that cylinder.
Is P0302 a Serious Concern?
P0302 is cause for concern and left unfixed can leave you stranded or make the vehicle virtually underivable. Fixing the problem causing the code to fire can save you time and money and keep your Dodge Nitro from breaking down. Quick action may also save your catalytic converter from going bad.

SOURCE

#20 ·
Cracked Cylinder Head Symptoms
Unless you have your internal combustion engine regularly inspected, you likely won’t notice the cylinder heads are cracked. However, there are symptoms that will present themselves when they are cracked which you can easily notice.
Below are five common symptoms to watch out for in the event that this happens.
1) Oil Leak
A cylinder head contains oil in it. If you have a cracked head, then you can expect oil to leak out of it. You should notice the oil light on your dashboard turning on when this happens indicating a low oil pressure.
If you see this light on, open your hood and try to see if there’s engine oil near the cylinder head.
2) Coolant Leak
If the cylinder head is severely cracked, then you’ll have coolant leaking out of it in addition to oil. This will cause your engine to overheat, which your car will warn you about on your dashboard.
Either way, check your coolant level and do not continue to drive when you have a visible coolant leak.
3) Poor Engine Performance
The first symptom you might experience is a noticeable loss in engine power. If the cylinder head has a crack, that means compressed air is escaping from the combustion chamber. You will notice the engine running a lot slower or awkwardly once this happens.
4) Smoke From Engine
Although this is rare, big cracks in the cylinder heads will allow exhaust gases to leak out and cause smoke to come from the engine. In addition, leaking oil can make contact with hot engine components to produce this smoke. This is clearly a sign that a cracked cylinder head may be at fault.
5) Engine Misfire
This relates to number three. If the cracked cylinder head is severe, then the mixture in the combustion chamber won’t even be sufficient enough for the engine to fire up. Either that or your engine will simply die as you’re driving and you will have to repeatedly start it back up.
Cracked Cylinder Head Repair Cost
The cost of a cracked cylinder head repair job will vary depending on the make and model of the vehicle that it’s in. You can be sure that it will cost at least $500, which includes labor and parts costs.
If you were to replace the entire cylinder head, it would only cost $200 to $300 on average for parts. With labor at about $90 to $100 per hour, this comes out to roughly $500 for the job. However, this is assuming the cylinder head is made of aluminum like they are in most cars these days.
If you have an older vehicle or more expensive vehicle, you probably have a cylinder head made of iron. Since iron is a more expensive material than aluminum, you might be looking at $500 just for the parts.
The labor may also require more hours for this repair job to be done correctly. Therefore, you could be looking at $1,000 to repair a cracked cylinder head made of iron.

SOURCE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.