2010 dodge nitro engine issues - Dodge Nitro Forum
Performance Discussion & Modifications Discuss any performance modifications and add-ons here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenneth Lyons
  • 1 Post By nitro48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

2010 dodge nitro engine issues

Hi I recently bought a nitro for my wife and when we tried it out it was running awesome and we decided to make a offer and he accepted it. All was great until the engine light came on and it was missing at this time. I put all new plugs and a coil on the cylinder that was causing the problem. Its cylinder 6. Well after taking it to the dealer they said it could be a sticky valve or burnt valve and only way to know for sure is continue to take it apart but unfortunately I can't afford it at the moment so I put it back together and tried cleaning the valves with a cleaner. It does seam better and the only time you can feel it miss is at a idle in gear. Besides that it runs awesome. My question is what other makes has the same engine as the nitro. I heard that the caravan also has a v6 4.0 liter and was wondering will it bolt it properly and work or at least will the heads bolt on correctly and work on my nitro? Any help with this is appreciated. For know I guess we have to run it as is. Hoping that itll be ok for awhile until I can get back to work and afford to fix it properly. No engine code so far. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
rickaren likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome Kenneth

Sorry to hear that you have an issue with your Nitro. First off I don't like the response from the Dealer you contacted. I would recommend you find another. I don't think the engine needs to come apart. Have you run a compression check? Run some gasoline anti freeze to make sure you don't have some water or bad fuel. Are you running the correct grade of fuel?

I'm surprised to don't show an error code, and hopefully that is a good sign! I believe it must be something simple. You may be surprised but how is the battery? New would be great. They are usually only good for 3 years and a bad one can cause all kinds of issues.

Here is a LINK

Dodge Nitro :Battery issues?

Also if you have not already check out 4.0L ENGINE- Service Information - Nitro

Maybe something will jump out at you there.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:45 PM

Have you checked the fuel injectors? I had one where the coil resistance would go up and fail when the engine got hot sitting but would start working when driving. I checked it by running it til it warmed up and then shut it off. Put a meter on it and watched it. Because there is no collant running when it is sitting, the injector would heat up and fail. I could then blow cool air on it and watch the ohms go back down.
rickaren likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Performance Discussion & Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in