Cross Bars Or Sport Utility Bars - Dodge Nitro Forum
Interior/Exterior Appearance & Modifications Discuss interior / exterior modifications, customizations, etc. here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Cross Bars Or Sport Utility Bars

Please Help! Can anyone tell me the difference between croos bars or sport utility bars? Can I carry luggage with the sport utility bar? I have a 2007 Nitro and want to carry luggage. Which one should i purchase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty44 View Post
Please Help! Can anyone tell me the difference between croos bars or sport utility bars? Can I carry luggage with the sport utility bar? I have a 2007 Nitro and want to carry luggage. Which one should i purchase?

Welcome kitty44!

Well I have the Dodge NITRO roof Crossbars installed and they could be used for luggage but really are for looks in my case. Their part number are 82210062.

Did you check out the MOPAR Accessory Catalog, or after market luggage carriers? (Like on page four w/pictures)
http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Nitro/20...ccessories.pdf

Also @ Dodge.com in the Owners Section or a Dealer

Yes it looks like you would still need to add the crossbars to use the Roof Box Cargo Carrier or the Roof Top Cargo Basket. This could become expensive to buy all of this or maybe a rental carrier would work? Good Luck and hope this helps!

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 AM

I want to purchase a set of these. They now have a new part number: 82211487. This number fits all years, according to Mopar. If I punch in 82210062, nothing comes up. In reading some of the other threads related to the roof rails, there was a design change to them after 2007/2008. The reason I ask is that someone has a set for sale on ebay, with the old part number. I'm trying to determine what the difference is. He is selling the bars, the rails, the hardware and all related tools. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I want to make sure they will work on my 2011. He will not accept a return. Thank you.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I didn't have an issue when I added mine but they then the rack was modified with the newer rails that had a medal plate running the full length of the rails like the 2008s, I think. Can't remember why there were two numbers, one for 2007 & 2008 and up, but I would order the latest number to be safe since you have a 2011. What I'm trying to say is mine were for a 2007 and then the factory did a re-fit (see below) under warranty that corrected the lifting/flapping of the front of the plastic rails and the 2007 cross bars still fit. Good Luck.

https://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f1...response-2572/

You are correct: to make a purchase on e-bay you better know what you are doing first. Other online purchases may only cost you return shipping at most.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:29 PM

I have been researching a lot of the older threads concerning the roof rails. It appears there was a design flaw with model year 2007, which was corrected with model year 2008. That being said, the production cross bars for 2007 had a different part number (82210062), with a different installation instruction sheet. It appears that this kit did not come with the mounting rails, onto which the cross bars mount. The instruction sheet shows how to mount the cross bars to the "existing" mounting rails. The instructions do not show how to mount the rails. Does any one know if all of the 2007's already had the mounting rails installed? Or were these mounting rails a separate part? The one's that are offered on ebay, located in Florida, include the mounting rails, but the seller has listed these under the old part number. According to another ebay seller from Texas, the older number parts will not fit on my 2011. The new part number (82211487) includes the mounting rails and the instructions show how to first mount the rails, and then install the cross bars onto the rails.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:11 PM

I decided against purchasing one of the sets off of ebay, as I could not be certain that they would fit my 2011. I went ahead and purchased a new set from my dealer, part number 82211487. I ordered them on Thursday, and they arrived on Friday morning. I had them installed in about an hour. The hardest part was trying how to figure out how to remove the 8 plastic fender washers, because they are actually clipped into the plastic side rails. I finally chose to lift one end with a small screwdriver. Once I had a gap between the washer and the side rail, I used the curved ends of a small pair of water pump pliers to rotate the washer up, and off of the side rail. Once the washers are off (they are not reused), install the metal side rails, each side centered on the 4 studs - torque the 8 nuts to 71 in/lb, and then attach the cross bars to these new metal rails. Very easy, and looks great. The rear cross bar needs to be about a foot forward of the antenna, to prevent interference with the Sirius signal.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 AM

For those of you that have these, is there an ideal placement to keep the wind noise (roar!) down? Jeep has a recommendation where to locate them, but I can't find anything from Dodge. Thanks for looking.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to eandras
2007-2011 Dodge Nitro OE Style Cross Bars I added these roof racks on my 2011 Nitro. The only difference is that yours says Dodge and these say Nitro. The cost included shipping, rails, rack strip, instructions, keys and tool for adjusting. Only took 20 minutes to unpack and install. shipment was 3 days from placement of order.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandras View Post
2007-2011 Dodge Nitro OE Style Cross Bars I added these roof racks on my 2011 Nitro. The only difference is that yours says Dodge and these say Nitro. The cost included shipping, rails, rack strip, instructions, keys and tool for adjusting. Only took 20 minutes to unpack and install. shipment was 3 days from placement of order.
Let me know where you placed them, and if you hear any roaring wind noise. On my Commander, there were little indicators on the roof rails, location points where to mount the cross bars, and where to lock them for keeping the noise down when you weren't using them to specifically carry something. I initially mounted the front one, centered over the back door windows, and the rear one 10.5" from the back of the roof rails, so as not to interfere with the antenna, as per the installation instructions. The wind roar was horrible - going 75 mph on I69 I could barely hear the radio with the windows up! So, in looking at these, I loosened all of the bolts, and tightened the 2 bolts holding the bars to the mounts first, to ensure that the rails were parallel to the mounts, and no air could get through. Then I pushed the front one as far forward as I could - the bar mounts are now resting against the first rail mount bolts. Then I pushed the rear one forward so the the bar mounts are now resting against third from the front rail mount bolts. The roar has subsided significantly, but it is still there. I can't believe that I never heard any noise from the bars on my commander and that these are so noisy! If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Interior/Exterior Appearance & Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in