Dodge NITRO “Halo” Headlamp/Foglight Install - Dodge Nitro Forum
Interior/Exterior Appearance & Modifications Discuss interior / exterior modifications, customizations, etc. here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Dodge NITRO “Halo” Headlamp/Foglight Install

These pictures are of my modified headlamps (with an Oracle powered Dodge Nitro CCFL Demon Eye “Halo” lamp kit) purchased from Advance Automotive Concepts are really impressive. This lamp is setting on our dining room table is powered by my 12 volt battery charger! If you do an install and want to check them out before reassembly remember to use the inverters supplied with this kit. My first impression is these are really, really bright!

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Instructions

INSTRUCTIONS

To start remove your grill as posted here: https://www.dodge-nitro.com/dodge-nit...-removal-3293/

You will also need to purchase a tube (caulking gun?) of BLACK silicone and one CLEAR if you don’t want to use the Epoxy supplied. More on this later.

HEADLAMP DISASSEMBLY

After removing the headlamps from the grill and all bulbs it is time to bake. Yes you will bake them in your oven! I started out with instruction early instructions that now have been replaced. They stated 230 degrees @ 20 minutes on a cookie sheet. I found 25/30 minutes were needed in our oven and chose not to use the cookie sheet on the second headlamp. In their latest Install Guide downloaded after disassembly InstallDocNITRO.pdf (455KB) it says preheat to 235 for 12 minutes. Not sure that is enough at least with our oven.

Remove from oven (use oven mitts) and start to separate the back black housing from the clear from lens. I used small wide pry bars, but screw wide drivers can be used instead.

I also bent the clear headlamp lens tabs out of the way, too. After establish a gap you use your hands to pull the headlamp assembly apart. After separation I then remove ALL the factory black sealant/gasket from the headlamp housing, using a flat-blade screwdriver. When the housing is still warm repair and straighten and areas that you pried on so it will be a perfect reinstall.

Rick

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Halo Rectangular Ring Install

Halo Rectangular Ring Install

Some options as to if you want to paint the factory chrome inside housing. I chose to leave it chrome on my Nitro.

You will need to drill a hole in the upper top outside inside and rear lamp housings for the “Halo” lamp wires to exit. I pre-drilled, and then used a 7/32 bit.

I used and mixed the supplied Epoxy on the first lamp but found it sloppy and hard to apply. The twin mixing syringe would have been better instead of the "A" & "B" tubes. Mounting the lamp on the second headlamp I used the clear silicone tube already on hand, with far better results with this application. Tape it down with painters tape till dry.

Rick

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Headlamp Reassemby

HEADLAMP REASSEMBY

When ready to put the headlamp back together you will place the inside chrome (or painted) housing into the back black housing before running a bead (I filled the cavity) around to total lens a before the outside clear lens is clamped on to dry. Also seal the back of the headlamp housing where the “Halo” lamp wires exit. I used a hair dryer (1875W) to heat and bend the front clear lens tabs over the complete housing the next day.

Rick

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

i just painted my headlights black, will be interested to see how yours turn out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 Dodge Caliber SXT | 1.8L 5-Speed
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4GTBL View Post
i just painted my headlights black, will be interested to see how yours turn out.
Well I did not want to diminish the headlamp range by painting the chrome housing. Nitro has an issue with their regular factory headlamp lighting anyway so I am running 8500K Xenon Krypton headlamp and fog lamp bulbs. These "Halo" tubes are rated at 8000K but I really did not think they would be so bright. Wife wanted a colored "Halo" but from past experiences with the local police I felt that would attract too much attention. Guess I could have gone black on a white vehicle using both and not loss too much lighting range. Maybe someone else will try it and post up here so we can compare. You have any pictures on your modification? Did you choose black because your vehicle is highlighted with black?

Rick

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Install Complete

Well the final install of the headlamps and the grille went smoothly. See
https://www.dodge-nitro.com/dodge-nit...-removal-3293/ and scroll down to Installation.

I painted the A/C condenser and radiator fins flat black, before the install using "High Heat" Rust-Oleum, for that extra effect. Having your NITRO grille inside as I did, is an excellence time to detail it, removing any tar & dead bugs and touching-up any paint chips. I did read "On-Line" that it would be advisable to use two people on the install, so I did take some precautions doing it by myself. I used 3 inch wide painter's tape and placed it around the grille location on both fenders and the front bumper, just-in-case. Reinstalling it on the bottom first I used bungee cords on the top with slack to hold it in place while I hooked up the side lamps, connectors to both headlamps and turn lights. I had already installed the bulbs to both.

I took pictures in daylight (some with headlamps on or on brights, but sometimes it is hard to tell!)and night for your review. I am very impressed with this modification!

Rick

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Rick

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
"Halo" Foglamp Install

I chose to add "Halo" fog lamp rings after performing the headlamp modification, because of the difference they made. I ordered the same 8000K rated tubes as installed in the headlamps. The K (Kelvin) rating of lamps is a measure of color NOT brightness, as most would think (like myself). The higher the K# the bluer the light. Tubes go as high as 10,000K from this manufacture. If I had ordered both at the same time I could have received a sizable discount. At the time of the original order I was pleased with my Non-Halo fog lamps using with 8500K bulbs. That changed.

First off check out this Thread and go to the end:
https://www.dodge-nitro.com/dodge-nit...-removal-3293/

NO you don't have to remove the grille on your NITRO to install "Halo" Demon Eye fog-light rings, but info here does show you how to remove your present lamp housings.

From my standpoint this modification is easier than the previous headlamp install. Mainly you don't have to tear your NITRO apart making it undriveable with no grille and headlamps. You don't have to pre-heat your oven and these units are much smaller to work with and easier to handle.

You then remove the bulb, breather cap and the black bracket with the adjusting TORK T15 screw. I marked both so maybe I can reinstall with the same light alignment adjustment.

Instructions I have read "Online" or included with this kit suggest several tools that I did not have or have access to. Some suggest that you use a band saw, rotary cut off tool, hack saw and so on to cut the clear lens off the housing. I would think a ban saw would work the best but I decided to improvise and use an hand held 4 1/2 angle grinder mounted that I already owned. Worked great and even used it for detail instead of a belt grinder. Only problem was it is 11,000 RPM and not variable speed. Something with a lower RPM might have been better suited.

Rick

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Interior/Exterior Appearance & Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in