Dodge NITRO “Halo” Headlamp/Foglight Install - Page 2 - Dodge Nitro Forum
Interior/Exterior Appearance & Modifications Discuss interior / exterior modifications, customizations, etc. here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

I took UN4GTBL suggestion and pained the inside housings Black, unlike the headlamps. I used a high heat semi-gloss black because of the 8500K fog lamp bulbs. Before I painted them I knocked the chrome gloss off by using Isopropyl Alcohol. Before placing the rings in I did paint the back half with black paint to prevent "black-lighting" unlike my headlamp install. I was also very cautious to swivel the ring connectors to the rear, feeding the power wires out the top breather hole. I also chose to use clear vinyl adhesive caulk instead of Epoxy again. I will use the same to reattach the clear lenses.

I drilled a 13/64 inch hole in breather cap and ran ring power wires out and reinstalled breather and black mounting bracket. When applying clear sealer to mount the clear lenses remember to seal the breather cap wire exit too.

Placed sealer on base lip and reinstalled clear lens. I removed the adjusting alignment screw spring and held lens in place with only the tork screw. Will replace spring before installing "Halo" fog lights after sealer is dry.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage

Rick

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:30 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to NitroSK
wiring

rickaren, how did you connect the wiring from the fog light hallo rings so that you can turn it the rings on separate from the fog lights.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroSK View Post
rickaren, how did you connect the wiring from the fog light hallo rings so that you can turn it the rings on separate from the fog lights.
Good Eye! Welcome and thanks for your question. I intentionally did not share my wiring that allows many options since I felt it might be too confusing for some and really is not a requirement. My present set-up is that I run the "Hallo" headlamp rings, fog lamp "Hallo" rings and fog lamp bulbs when the engine is running as daylight running lamps. I have a switch that will disable them all, also. Headlamps (bulbs) are operated as from the factory. I will put something together and post a detailed answer as soon as I can, so please check back.

Rick

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 PM

Different fog light sizes

I was just about to install the Hallo rings into my fog lights. I took them out, cut the clear lens off the housing (took some great effort as I did not have any adequate tools) and was about to place inside the Hallo rings when I realized they are too big for my fog lights. Well, it seems that the EU model of the Nitro must have smaller fog lights than the US model. The outside diameter of the clear lens is around 94mm (around 3.7"). Just out of curiosity, if any of you have other than the EU model, could you measure the diameter of your fog light lens? thanks.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I was just about to install the Hallo rings into my fog lights. I took them out, cut the clear lens off the housing (took some great effort as I did not have any adequate tools) and was about to place inside the Hallo rings when I realized they are too big for my fog lights. Well, it seems that the EU model of the Nitro must have smaller fog lights than the US model. The outside diameter of the clear lens is around 94mm (around 3.7"). Just out of curiosity, if any of you have other than the EU model, could you measure the diameter of your fog light lens? thanks.
I believe they would the same. My U.S. "Nitro" rings measure about 3 inches in diameter. Are you sure you have the correct rings? I think other Chrysler models like the Charger look about the same, but are larger and require a different "Halo" ring.

Rick

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 12:44 AM

I bought them through ebay from advancedautomotiveconcepts.com and they came with the Dodge Nitro installation guide and packaging. I responded to them already that the rings do not fit, so let's see.

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I bought them through ebay from advancedautomotiveconcepts.com and they came with the Dodge Nitro installation guide and packaging. I responded to them already that the rings do not fit, so let's see.
If they respond as fast to you as they did me, when they sent me the wrong install guide, you should have an answer real fast. I really was impressed with their fast response to my e-mail. Good Luck and let us know what happens.

Rick

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
"rickaren, how did you connect the wiring from the fog light hallo rings so that you can turn it the rings on separate from the fog lights."

NITROSK there is a simple way and the way I did my install. These lights are amazingly bright but require just standard wiring to power, unlike many of the high performance accessory lighting modifications. Depending on how you want them to function with headlamps or fog lamps it is simply finding a power source that is active when the Nitro is running or when the ignition switch is on. This could be taping into the headlamp or fog lamp wiring or any other power source. You can then add a switch if you do not want them powered, only when you want them activated, due to that source. They are a very simple install.

HISTORY:
As for myself I have ran some form of daylight running on all my cars before many members were even born here, I suspect. Many times it was that parking lamps I used instead of headlamps, but sometimes as now with my Wife’s Ford Explorer I modified it to run both when the engine is running. Some complications now can be with automatic headlamps, but years past it was simple to just modify the headlamp switch wiring that could be simply reversed, if need be. In more recent times you could purchase an inexpensive Automatic Headlamp System Kit, like the 45040 Visi-Lamp from Hamsar that was easy to add that would allow one to run parking lamps, Halo rings or headlamps whenever the engine was running. These kits are still available from JC Whitney as Automatic Low-Beam Headlight Control and on e-bay.

Problem is that starting around 2006 car companies started fusing their left side lamps and their right side lamps on different circuits. Maybe this new kit has a solution to this, but on the last two cars I owned and modified, I found it simpler to run wiring from the left side to the right side headlamp and/or fog lamp to utilize it. Even Chrysler and Ford no longer offer a kit to do this, and modifying the program chip usually has some unwanted side effects.

WHAT I DID:

I had previously modified my Nitro with high performance headlamp and fog light bulbs, installed a running light kit, and ran fog lamps anytime while driving. Over time I found my wire splices near the fog lamps failing due to weather conditions and the extra current required due to not running factory bulbs. Since I was going to remove the grille and headlamp and fog lamp housings to install “Halo” rings I started looking for a solution.

On eBay I found this heavy duty head lamp/fog lamp harness
HARNESS RELAY H10 9145 HEADLIGHT BULB WIRING WIRE 6000K:eBay Motors (item 380159893654 end time Oct-18-09 09:14:27 PDT)
that would allow any modifications to head lamps in the future, even HID units. Since I was going to have everything removed for my “Halo” rings install, why not give this a try? I had to change a few things around but I powered it up from the positive battery lead as I have in the past that allows simple disconnect, and it the past it power lead has a built in fuse for safety.

I ended up using a cheap power distribution connection that allows “Halo” rings or even the fog lamp bulbs to on in several configurations. This panel is not weather proof but has been sprayed with a electrical weather proof spray and is located on the back left side of the engine so I do not expect any issues. If there was, the in-line fuse at the battery would cut the power.

I also install a pull-on, push off switch under the hood when I take it in to the Dealership for service. Having any lights on when they are servicing your vehicles (listing to your radio?) drives most mechanics crazy, so this is a good option. In my present configuration my headlamp bulbs function as from the factory, requiring them to be turned on from the dash. The headlamp "Halo" rings, fog lamp bulbs and the "Halo" fog lamp rings are always on when driving when activated. Even in sunlight, let-a-lone on an overcast day, these lights look amazing.

Very pleased with this set-up that I expect no one else would ever do, but it does show what can be done and should answer any future question. Good luck on your simple install, not the way I did mine.

Rick

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Wow...totally forgot about this thread!

Thats pretty cool!

Did you notice any light output difference with the black fog light housings?

Here is my finished project. Note that i kept the reflectors chrome as well as the orange reflectors. New Headlight Photoshoot! (Lots of pictures!) - Dodge Caliber Forums & An UN4GTBL Photoshoot... - Dodge Caliber Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2007 Dodge Caliber SXT | 1.8L 5-Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Interior/Exterior Appearance & Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in