Road Splash - Dodge Nitro Forum
Interior/Exterior Appearance & Modifications Discuss interior / exterior modifications, customizations, etc. here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Road Splash

5/2/11
I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro SLT - Inferno Red - and love it. However, I live in a rural area, and many of the roads I drive are dirt and rock. When it rains, the road dirt splashes onto the FRONT doors, mainly the lower half of the door. There are pseudo-mud flaps on the car, probably original equipment, which appear to be part of the fender flares. The splash behind the REAR wheels is more what I am accustomed to with my previous 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and is acceptable.

Has anyone had any luck with mud flaps keeping road dirt off the front doors? I have read on some of the forums about the need for running boards in conjunction with mud flaps. People comment on my nice car, but say even their truck doesn't get splash like my car does.

Of course, I'd like to spend the least possible to remedy this problem, and hope to benefit from others' actual experience.

Thank you.
Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 12:57 PM

I suggest you add the Mopar Molded Splash Guards first. I know what you are saying, because mine does exactly the same thing. In fact, I took it to the dealer body shop today to have the rear flares aligned correctly with the the flare segment on the rear doors. The part on the fenders stuck out about 1/4" than the part on the doors and I was afraid this would allow paint to chip along the leading edge of the flare, where it meets the door. It was fixed under warranty. If adding the moulded flares moves the dirt kick-up just farther down the doors, consider adding the molded side step running boards, as these seem to fit to the body better than the oval side steps.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.

Last edited by dhh3; 05-03-2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: bad spelling!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Road Splash

Thanks for the information. Going about the solution in steps makes sense.
Anne

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Anne: Picture not very clear , but installed front and rear black MOPAR Splashguards on my 2007 R/T (those part # were 82210238 & 09 back in 2008) and MOPAR solid (black) full length running boards. As far as I'm concerned this is the best you can do and work very well. Also Wife likes to use the running boards as a step-up. If you use tube running boards they work at as step, but do not shield the side from mud and snow buildup. Hope this helps.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:34 PM

Anne: Picture not very clear , but installed front and rear black MOPAR Splashguards on my 2007 R/T (those part # were 82210238 & 09 back in 2008) and MOPAR solid (black) full length running boards. As far as I'm concerned this is the best you can do and work very well. Also Wife likes to use the running boards as a step-up. If you use tube running boards they work at as step, but do not shield the side from mud and snow buildup. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly, Rick. Thanks for the pictures. I haven't taken any pictures of mine yet. I should make this my next project!

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 PM

Great replies and especially the pic from Rick. I added the Mopar molded splash gaurds which helps but my Shock came with the tubular side steps which don't block much compared to the running boards.

Cy

Variety is the spice of life...and I like it HOT!

'11 Shock Blackberry fully loaded
K&N CAI 63-1556, JS2 Chip, Mopar Cat-back, Silverstars, Full Synthetic Oil, K&N Oil Filter, Mopar splash gaurds, Mopar Rear Air Deflector, Bosch Platinum Fusion IR plugs, gas cap keyed to ignition, Extra chrome bling, Mopar Chrome shifter, Custom plate, Lockpick V4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Road Splash

Thanks, Rick, for sharing the picture. I think this will be the solution.
Sharp car you have there !

Anne
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Road Splash

5/16/11

Two questions regarding the Mopar molded mud flaps:

1) On the front, how far do they extend beyond the pseudo splash guard that is part of the kick plate?

2) How far do they extend beyond the fender flare on the outside edge - front? back?

This will help my decision whether or not to purchase them.

Thanks.

Anne
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Road Splash

5/16/11

Clarification on message just sent.

Should say "On the front, how far do they extend BELOW the pseudo splash guard/mud flap that is part of the kick plate?"

Thanks.

Anne
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
5/16/11

Two questions regarding the Mopar molded mud flaps:

1) On the front, how far do they extend beyond the pseudo splash guard that is part of the kick plate?

2) How far do they extend beyond the fender flare on the outside edge - front? back?

This will help my decision whether or not to purchase them.

Thanks.

Anne

About 3 inches out and 4 inches lower on the R/T with the factory skirting

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Interior/Exterior Appearance & Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in