Why I installed Running Boards on my Dodge Nitro - Dodge Nitro Forum
Interior/Exterior Appearance & Modifications Discuss interior / exterior modifications, customizations, etc. here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Why I installed Running Boards on my Dodge Nitro

Well first off they were not available as “Factory Installed” on the R/T in 07, but this vehicle has every other option, except the engine heater and smokers group. If they had, I guess they would have been on it.

The reason is that here in the Mid West and most parts of the US the weather makes it hard to keep the sides clean, even if it is dry! I added molded factory Mopar black (part # 82210591AB) running boards this week end. I previous had a white Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited that I had the same issue with and by adding running boards helped correct this consent clean-up.

Have not driven enough to tell you how effective they are keeping mud or melting snow off, but they have to work. Were easy to install, but have no adjustment. My Wife will like and use them but since the Nitro has no grab bar on the pillar post, she does not like that. Out of four SUVs we have had, this is the only one not to have one, and even the new Jeep Liberty does not have it! (one on the dash instead, big joke) Some Ford SUVs even have them on both back doors.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 04:58 AM

I have the same issue with the lack of the grab bar. My wife could really use this to get into the Nitro. I noticed the Commander has one but the angle of the A pillar is different than the Nitro so I don't know if that would fit. Anyone know if the new Liberty has a grab handle?

She loves the running boards on our SLT and I added the factory mud flaps to keep the sides clean. Now all I need to add is a grab handle!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 12:49 PM

We have very muddy in the winter I installed Deluxe Molded Splash Guards today and I ordered the same running boards (82210591AB).
I have several questions.
1. They are attached to the body? Or to the frame?
2. How strong they are? They endure the weight of a serious man?
3. They are made of plastic only?
4.I most importantly - will protect doors from dirt?

2008 Dodge Nitro R/T 4x4 metallic black.
Trailer Tow Group,Mopar Chrome Rear License Plate Brow,Deluxe Molded Splash Guards,LED marker lights.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Installation Guide: K6860054.PDF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmit View Post
We have very muddy in the winter I installed Deluxe Molded Splash Guards today and I ordered the same running boards (82210591AB).
I have several questions.
1. They are attached to the body? Or to the frame?
2. How strong they are? They endure the weight of a serious man?
3. They are made of plastic only?
4.I most importantly - will protect doors from dirt?
(1) They attach to the floor pan with heavy duty metal supports that are per-determined from the factory

(2) They are plastic with heavy duty webbing on their underside and I would guess they are good for 300 lb.

(3) Yes they will but you really need to add the front and rear MOPAR plastic mud flaps.

Check these Links out too!

https://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f14/road-splash-6451/

http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...=3149&pc=69757

THEN:

Installation Guide: K6860054.PDF

GOOD LUCK!

Rick

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 12:27 AM

Thank you, front and rear mud flaps installed

Trailer Tow Group,Mopar Chrome Rear License Plate Brow,Deluxe Molded Splash Guards,LED marker lights.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM

I have installed the front and rear molded splash guards, and they kept the sides clean by 50%. I then added tubular chrome side steps which bolt to holes already in the frame rails, from the factory. The product description say they can hold up to 400 pounds! Now, my sides are basically clean, except for the leading edge of the rear fender flares, the part on the back doors. I assume that the factory molded step bars would do a better job, as they fit tight to the body, with no gaps, but I like the look of the chrome as it compliments my chrome wheels.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
I have installed the front and rear molded splash guards, and they kept the sides clean by 50%. I then added tubular chrome side steps which bolt to holes already in the frame rails, from the factory. The product description say they can hold up to 400 pounds! Now, my sides are basically clean, except for the leading edge of the rear fender flares, the part on the back doors. I assume that the factory molded step bars would do a better job, as they fit tight to the body, with no gaps, but I like the look of the chrome as it compliments my chrome wheels.

Roger

When installed, I will write about the result.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 PM

I ordered today from my dealer. Waiting for two weeks

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM

Thanks rick for some reason, i cant open the link you posted.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince View Post
Thanks rick for some reason, i cant open the link you posted.
You must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer to open this PDF file but it is free and works fine on mine? Looks to be helpful for your install.

Try this install: PDF reader, protected mode | Adobe Reader X

Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Interior/Exterior Appearance & Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in