Dodge Nitro: Latest MyGig Software Upgrade - Dodge Nitro Forum
Audio/ Video/ Navigation / Electronics Discussion Discuss the Nitro A/V and navigation system here, along with other items such as custom installations, alarms, radar detectors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

aftermarket uconnect update

I just got the aftermarket dealer installed uconnect system in my nitro SLT yesterday and it kicks ass!! First of all, before I purchased the uconnect kit I talked to many dodge parts and service departments and none of these guys had clue of what was included in the kit, if or not I would have a control panel stuck to my dashboard, and if it would integrate through my speakers and show incoming calls on the radio. Finally, a service guy was able to print out the install instructions and that explained everything. In a nutshell, only 2007 Dodge nitros, chrysler sebrings, and Avengers come factory installed with radios with the uconnect buttons already included on the radio face. These radios are labeled either RES, REQ, or REN. These new radios integrate the uconnect after market kit through the radio which gives you all the features that the factory installed version does. Full call sound through all speakers, voice commands, mutes radio with incoming calls, and it shows incoming calls on the radio itself. The install guy said he thought it worked better than the factory version. The only difference from the factory version is the small speaker (smaller than a pack of gum) is not integrated through the rearview mirror but it was installed in the upper middle near the two reading lights. Hard to explain, but it doesn't look bad at all. The install instructions say to mount it on the upper left panel but I agreed with the install guy that it would be better in the middle. You can order the kit on Mopar.com. make sure you get part #82210083 for the nitro. The only problem is cost!!! $299 for the kit plus labor to install. The dealership charged $200 for labor. OUCH! I guess you could get it installed somewhere else but the dealership actually updates your VIN number and I believe by doing so this enables the kit to work. all and all, if you have $500 to burn, it's worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:34 PM

Re: aftermarket uconnect update

Glad to see someone finally figured this out. Dodge took such a lax attitude about informing us or their dealers about this..... I finally just bought a Garmin c550 GPS instead. For $350, it came with the Bluetooth phone feature (audio over the Nitro stereo), SD memory slot for MP3 playback, and turn by turn GPS. Works like a charm & cost me less.

--
Bill
'07 Dodge Nitro SLT 4x4
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:02 PM

No external button, cool. The microphone is probably whats between your reading lights. I have installed some of the newer U-connect systems, but none in any of the vehichles with the Next Gen 4 radios. The Can Bus radios got a new kit too, and it is much better than the old Mopar U-connect. The old kit only muted the radio, it came with an external speaker, microphone, and a big set of buttons that stuck to the dash. The new kits come with the factory hands free module, so it plays through the radio, a smaller stick on button, and the microphone.

When the dealer updates your VIN it adds that option to the list Dodge has for your car, so there will be no question about it being covered under warranty if it needs work later. When a dealer runs a VIN Inquiry on your car the U-connect will come up as a dealer installed option. Some of the newer vehicles also have to get the VIN update to make it work, I remeber having to do this for foglights IIRC. We update the VIN, DCX updates the build configuration on their computer and then we download the new build configuration to you front control module.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 09:23 AM

UConnect Is Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugger
I just got the aftermarket dealer installed uconnect system in my nitro SLT yesterday and it kicks ass!!
Congratulations on getting UConnect operative in your Nitro. UConnect is great! I am very impressed with the voice recognition capabilities of UConnect. Enjoy!
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 06:07 PM

I have a friend of mine picking up the u-connect package for me. I plan on installing it myself. I do radio installs all the time. What worries me is the VIN update. Will it not work until I go back to the dealer and get my VIN updated? I don't see any reason for me to pay 200 bones to have some one else do it when I could. (If I had the directions.)
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 09:22 PM

I'm a little confused. I have a 2007 Nitro SXT 3.7L 4x4. It has the UConnect buttons (both), but it keeps saying "UConnect Not Availabe." I have tried using my wifes phone thinking there was something wrong with my BlueTooth on my phone, but still no luck.

Are you guys implying there is actually something "missing" in my Nitro? It doesnt have the mirrow mounted mic as depicted in the Nitro's manual...

Help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to take advantage of this feature

Dustin-
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 10:15 AM

UConnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro2B
I'm a little confused. I have a 2007 Nitro SXT 3.7L 4x4. It has the UConnect buttons (both), but it keeps saying "UConnect Not Availabe." I have tried using my wifes phone thinking there was something wrong with my BlueTooth on my phone, but still no luck.
You would need to have the UConnect kit installed. There is information regarding this earlier in this thread.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 08:07 PM

right on. I read through it once already, I guess it just dint really sink in

Sounds like a great deal, minus the dealer instal/VIN update fee..I too wonder if it wont work untill the VIN is updated, or if its only for covering warranty??
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Do 08 Nitros with MYGIG have the latest software?

Just curious but does the new Nitro have the update that removes the “Agree” screen at start up? (Version 9.561)

Thanks to this Forum and ResumeSpeed for the complete list of all Nitro Technical Service Bulletins, I had my Dealer order and install the software update 8-025-07 for my unit.

Works like a charm and the Acceptance Screen now removes its self at start up, instead of having to touch the screen, each time. Since my 07 was built late in July 07 I asked the Service Technician if all 08 MYGIG radios have this software. He said he did not know and I was the first to request this update.

Something else I found interesting was they gave me the DVD/CD update disk. When I told him that shouldn’t you keep this for others? he said no they would re-order it for that customer? Guess it is no big deal for them, and since it does have part # (68043349AB) maybe they charge it out under warranty.

If it was not for this Forum, how would any owner even know they could get rid of that screen? This disk works on 14 Chrysler models that have factory installed MYGIG Radios.

It took about 30 minutes to update and that is the only change I have seen so far. I would have thought maybe a GPS or “Bluetooth” update could have been part of this update but I guess not. Also I have updated our cell phones to Verizon’s Samsung Juke (U470) and they both were compatible and paired up correctly.

I know not everyone activates or keeps their SIRIUS radio active but why couldn’t they update MYGIG using satellite? My DVRs do this, not the phone line as in the past.

Chrysler really should notify all owners that this Update is available, free-of-charge, but that would cost money! They sent me by mail, a new engine tune label (Recall G-45) and told me to install it. I took it to the Dealer and the Service Technician got paid 0.2 hours to install it! They did not offer to pay me.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
48 views and not one reply! What's the deal?

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Audio/ Video/ Navigation / Electronics Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in