Dodge Nitro: U-connect microphone - Dodge Nitro Forum
Audio/ Video/ Navigation / Electronics Discussion Discuss the Nitro A/V and navigation system here, along with other items such as custom installations, alarms, radar detectors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Dodge Nitro: U-connect microphone

For those of you with factory installed U-connect, where is the microphone located? I want to add u-connect. My radio has the correct buttons, but I'd rather not use the external mic unless I have to. Thanks.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.

Last edited by dhh3; 04-09-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

OK, I have done some searching and have come up with the following:
1. The factory installed U-connect microphone is located on the rearview mirror. Would this mirror come from the factory both with the RES and RER radios?
2. I have an RES/130 radio, which incorporates the buttons for U-connect.
3. In order to add U-connect to my radio, I need to puchase the external U-connect module, part number 82211878. This kit includes an external microphone.
4. I would like to utilize the mirror with the microphone, as I had in my Jeep Commander. The mirror part number is 82211649. The harness I would need for this is part number 82211868.
5. The illustrations I have seen show this harness plugging into the back of a RER radio, which has a built in U-connect module, and not a RES radio like mine. I'm assuming it is plugged into the U-connect module which is incorporated inside the radio.
6. Does anyone know if this harness could plug into the external U-connect module, or the back of my RES/130 radio? Otherwise, I'll be stuck using the external microphone which comes with the module. Thank you for reading.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
RES/130 - AM/FM Stereo Radio with CD/MP3 player. Does NOT include a Sirius satellite receiver. For uConnect Phone, you must use 82211756 with this radio.
[

I remember one member having a new u-connect radio Dealer installed with the mirror. Not only was it expensive but was time consuming taking several weeks, but again anything can be done.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. No, this is not my radio. I have a U-connect button as well as a voice activation button. They both display "not installed" if I push them. The kit you listed is for my radio, but w/o the Sirius Receiver. I have the Sirius Receiver, but I'm not sure what the difference would be. When I get time, I'll trudge on down to my dealer and pick the guy's brains, and see what I can come up with.

Last edited by dhh3; 04-10-2011 at 07:26 AM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

My dealer just received a 2011 Detonator with the same radio as mine, with uconnect and the auto-dim rear view mirror with the microphone, so there is a way to make this work. Last month, I ordered the uconnect kit for my radio, and the PDF installation instructions show the external microphone incorporated as part of the wire harness which connects to the radio. The kit has been on back order for over a month, so I can't confirm this yet. I found the part number for the mirror, and also a part number for a wire harness to connect the mirror to a navigation radio, which has the uconnect built in. I don't see how to connect the mirror to the external uconnect module using this harness, so there has to be another harness to connect the mirror to the external uconnect. If anyone has this set up, can you look to see if there is a part number on your harness? The external uconnect module is mounted under the glove box. Thanks for reading.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Update

Well, my uconnect unit finally arrived, but I am going to wait to install it. Since I want to add a rear VES, and I want it to work as the one did in my Commander, I have to order a Media Center 230, because it will play DVD's, and the Media Center 130 that came with my Nitro does not. So, I will start with the Media Center 230, change over my sirius subscription to the new receiver and then add my uconnect unit to it. With the Media center 230, maybe I can add the microphone rear view mirror, but this remains to be seen. I will keep you posted as this progresses. Thanks for reading.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Update #2

I decided not to wait to update my radio, and went ahead and installed the uconnect system myself. Very easy. The only change I made was to install the microphone in the middle of the overhead, by the front interior ceiling lights, instead of all the way over on the driver's side. From the factory, the microphone is in the mirror, anyway. I had to take it to the dealer to StarScan it; to update my VIN in order for it to work. I had enough points (dealer dollars) left over from my Commander (long story) so this did not cost me anything. Works perfectly. One thing odd, though. This is the unit I ordered:

Item Number UOM Qty Your Price
82211878 Each $257.00
uconnect Phone, Bluetooth wireless Hands-free phone kit. Hands-free calling and allows control of an, iPod through the Radio Controls. To utilize your iPod , a separate iPod harness (PN 82212000) must be ordered separately. Will not work on vehicles equipped with RES Radios w/o uconnect button.- see part number 82211755AB

Fits: Nitro

This is the unit that I received:

Item Number UOM Qty Your Price
82212159 Each $356.00
Hands-free calling is here! Uconnect phone is the exclusive voice-activated, hands-free, in-vehicle communications system. It encourages safe vehicle operation and doesn`t compromise driver control. Uconnect phone allows you to dial your wireless phone through simple voice commands. Uconnect phone includes Bluetooth technology that enables your wireless phone to connect to your vehicle without wires or a docking station. This leading-edge technology will allow you to store your wireless phone anywhere in the vehicle and still maintain connection

Fits: Nitro

The installation guide for both of these is the same, and the one I received lists for $99.00 more than the one I ordered. From the description, the only difference seems to be voice recognition. If I push the phone button, the car links to my phone and address book (T-mobile G2). If I push the voice button, I can control the phone or the radio by voice command.

The ipad harness plugs into the uconnect unit and would end inside the glove box. Handy.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM

Found this on the internet:

Dodge Nitro R/T, 2.8 CRD, 2008
Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 AM

Ok, so I ordered the parts for the UConnect as well as the iPod cable. I have an appointment to "turn it on" tomorrow ($95, which I found a little high, but oh well...). My question is around the install... On the back of the head, there is a big plug and a small plug on the new wiring harness adapter. In the spot where the little plug goes (microphone, I think) there was already a plug in the head. I unplugged it and left it hanging. What is the little plug in the middle of the head unit for, and can I leave it unplugged?

Thank you.

2007 Dodge Nitro R/T
2011 Softail Blackline

Venerable Rev. Po-Jay
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Po-Jay View Post
Ok, so I ordered the parts for the UConnect as well as the iPod cable. I have an appointment to "turn it on" tomorrow ($95, which I found a little high, but oh well...). My question is around the install... On the back of the head, there is a big plug and a small plug on the new wiring harness adapter. In the spot where the little plug goes (microphone, I think) there was already a plug in the head. I unplugged it and left it hanging. What is the little plug in the middle of the head unit for, and can I leave it unplugged?

Thank you.
The little plug is the power to the radio. This has to stay plugged into the radio. The big plug is the output to the speakers. There is a harness that comes with the Uconnect module. Unplug the big plug in the back of the radio. Plug the Uconnect harness into the radio. There is another female plug on the new harness. Plug the big speaker plug into this. The other end of the harness plugs into the Uconnect module. The module mounts up behind the glove box. I can't remember where the end of the microphone plugs in, but I'm sure that it plugs into the Uconnect module, or there may have been a female plug on the harness that it plugs into. It does not plug into the radio!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Audio/ Video/ Navigation / Electronics Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in