MyGIG REW uConnect Rear Mirror - Dodge Nitro Forum
Audio/ Video/ Navigation / Electronics Discussion Discuss the Nitro A/V and navigation system here, along with other items such as custom installations, alarms, radar detectors, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

MyGIG REW uConnect Rear Mirror

I will buy a new MyGIG REW and I'm thinking about upgrading to U-Connect too. What do I need? Is a U-Connect module integrated in the MyGIG or do I need a exernal module?

Guess I need the rear mirror with micro and the harness. Don't want the universal Mopar Kit. Can someone give me the p/n for these parts fitting my 2008 SXT? Do I need anything else?

Dodge Nitro R/T, 2.8 CRD, 2008
Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985

Last edited by ParadiseSeeker; 11-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 04:36 PM

You need to determine if your 2008 has a low speed can bus. The 2011's have a high speed can bus. Therefore, the new radios may not be compatible. I do not know the model year that this was changed.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

All Nitros have high-speed CANBus. The new MyGIG, I've ordered at my Dodge dealer is for 2008 models. But that doesn't answer my questions and thoughts.

Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 06:38 AM

Are you positive on this? There are a multitude number of part numbers for radios for the Nitro. Some numbers are completely different, which would indicate a new or replacement part. Some numbers have the last two letters changed, which would indicate a software upgrade to an existing part number. Some numbers work for more than one model year, some are model year specific. I have been looking since April, and my dealer tells me that if the part number is model year specific, it will NOT work, or at least they will not guarantee that it will work.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
Are you positive on this? There are a multitude number of part numbers for radios for the Nitro. Some numbers are completely different, which would indicate a new or replacement part. Some Car parts have the last two letters changed, which would indicate a software upgrade to an existing part number. Some numbers work for more than one model year, some are model year specific. I have been looking since April, and my dealer tells me that if the part number is model year specific, it will NOT work, or at least they will not guarantee that it will work.

I think he maybe right. I mean I'm not going to be 100% positive and declare he's right, but mine comes with it too.. so
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

The one I ordered is an official Mopar upgrade and it will work with my Nitro. Now I only have to solve the problem with the U-Connect rear window and harness.

Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 07:50 AM

You will need the mirror and 2 wire harness:
1. powers the mirror
2. connects microphone to mygig.

This is the harness to connect an existing microphone rear view mirror to a mygig:

Dodge Nitro 2008-2011 Mygig Uconnect Wiring Kit Mopar OEM | eBay. As you can see, it lists the mopar part number, as it might be cheaper for you to get it there. I would imagine that shipping to you would be at least $100.

You will have to go to your dealer for the rear view mirror. I would hope that it would come with the wire harness that powers it, as it is an auto dim mirror, also. I can find it on the dodge.com site, but it does not give part numbers. There is another site: moparsupercenter.com. You might be able to find it there.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

How do I know, if my Nitro already has a U-Connect mirror? Does it look different to the standard Auto Dim Mirror? Can I see the installed microphones somehow?

Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseSeeker View Post
How do I know, if my Nitro already has a U-Connect mirror? Does it look different to the standard Auto Dim Mirror? Can I see the installed microphones somehow?
The standard mirror is manually adjustable, from day to night. There is a lever on the bottom to adjust it from day to night. The microphone mirror is auto adjust, the bottom part of the frame in the center is thicker, with a light a sensor (square holes). I am not aware of an auto dim non microphone mirror as even being offered on the Nitro, but possibly it was on the export versions.

The microphone that comes with the Uconnect kit is a small piece of plastic, about an inch long, 1/2 inch wide and about 1/2" thick. A member on the other forum actually stuck his to the center of the interior lights on the headliner and there is a picture of it. I saw his picture after I had already mounted mine. It sticks on with 2 sided tape.

If you are still tring to install a mygig, I believe that Uconnect is built into these, so you would not need the kit. I do not believe the microphone from the kit is available as a separate part.

Here is a link to the instructions for installing the kit. You have to scroll to the bottom to see the microphone installation.

http://moparestore.trademotion.com/m...s/K6869436.pdf

The microphone is Part "B" on page 2. I do not know if these Uconnect kits are compatible with a mygig unit.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I have an auto dim mirror. That's for sure. But how do I know if it has the U-Connect micro inside?

Jeep CJ7, 4.2L, 1985
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Audio/ Video/ Navigation / Electronics Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in