New to this forum - Dodge Nitro Forum
New Member Introductions If you are a new member, please stop in here to introduce yourself, tell us about your ride, or ask questions about how to use the forum. If you have questions about the Nitro, please post them in the appropriate category

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

New to this forum

I suppose I'm a newbie, certainly to this forum, but not to the Nitro. I've had my 2007 SXT 4x2 for 21 months and 57,000 miles now, and still have mixed emotions - I bought it to replace a 2006 Dakota ST V-8 with towing package (totalled under circumstances I'd not care to relate) and it's required considerable modification to carry personal effects and the roughly 1,500 lb. trailer/motorcycle combination. Modifications I've made and discarded:

AEM Cold Air Intake P/N 218218DP (too noisy for long-distance driving)
Gibson Performance Exhaust P/N 616004 (same as above)
Keystone ALY02304U86N wheels with 275/45R20 Goodyear Fortera SL tires (bent two rims on undeveloped roads; not enough sidewall height)
Eibach Pro-Kit spring set P/N 2885-540 (not enough ground clearance for undeveloped roads)
Jet Performance power control module P/N 90701S Stage 2 (requires 91 octane fuel - on my last trip to Abiquiu, NM, I had to re-install the 90701 Stage 1 chip because only 86, 88, and 90 octane were available)

Modifications I've made and retained:

Volant Cool Air intake P/N 166376 (quieter than AEM, no apparent compromise in performance, configuration enabled ram-air mod, slight improvement in fuel economy)
CGS Cat-Back Exhaust P/N 70033 (interior noise level tolerable for long-distance travel, improved fuel economy and performance)
Jet Performance power control module P/N 90701 Stage 1 (improved performance and economy, but requires 89 octane fuel)
Bilstein heavy duty shocks, P/N's BE5-D916-H0 (front), BE5-D917-H0 (rear) (much-improved cornering, braking and wheel control)
Richmond Gear PowerTrax No-Slip P/N 92-0382-2905 (traction! in mud, grass and on snowy surfaces)
Rotora cross-drilled and slotted brake rotors (order for each corner of car by description)(quiet, absolutely non-fade braking with ceramic pads)

Modifications I would not have made if I knew then what I do now:

BWoody Performance swaybar links (might have made a difference before the Bilsteins, but not worth removing)
JBA exhaust manifolds (installation was a nightmare, additional power (if any) inconsequential, exhaust noise slightly higher)

I do hope that some of you might benefit from my experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
tartantyger:

THANKS for your very detailed list of modification and what worked for you. I too have performed many modification and would not change a thing. I did get worried about what would happen if my NITRO got totaled or stolen (have been there before) and what my Insurance Company would pay me. I have posted recommendations of adding coverage due to all my add-ons plus (still ongoing) the fact that Nitro and all of Chrysler products (GM is next) are now worth a lot less than when we purchased our new. It's bad enough to lose a vehicle but even worse when all your hard work and money is not recognized by your Insurance Carrier, you you still owe on the original note.

Great Review with part numbers! Good Luck and keep us updated here with your Nitro, and Welcome.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 AM

Hello welcome to the forum hope to see u around.

Jasica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:45 AM

Hi all...!
I am Jane..!!
I am very much new to this forum...!!
I just gone through this forum and thought that I must contribute in the discussion.
Hope everybody will help me and will make me so much comfortable here to discuss with you on the current topics opened here for discussion!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartantyger View Post
I suppose I'm a newbie, certainly to this forum, but not to the Nitro. I've had my 2007 SXT 4x2 for 21 months and 57,000 miles now, and still have mixed emotions - I bought it to replace a 2006 Dakota ST V-8 with towing package (totalled under circumstances I'd not care to relate) and it's required considerable modification to carry personal effects and the roughly 1,500 lb. trailer/motorcycle combination. Modifications I've made and discarded:

AEM Cold Air Intake P/N 218218DP (too noisy for long-distance driving)
Gibson Performance Exhaust P/N 616004 (same as above)
Keystone ALY02304U86N wheels with 275/45R20 Goodyear Fortera SL tires (bent two rims on undeveloped roads; not enough sidewall height)
Eibach Pro-Kit spring set P/N 2885-540 (not enough ground clearance for undeveloped roads)
Jet Performance power control module P/N 90701S Stage 2 (requires 91 octane fuel - on my last trip to Abiquiu, NM, I had to re-install the 90701 Stage 1 chip because only 86, 88, and 90 octane were available)

Modifications I've made and retained:

Volant Cool Air intake P/N 166376 (quieter than AEM, no apparent compromise in performance, configuration enabled ram-air mod, slight improvement in fuel economy)
CGS Cat-Back Exhaust P/N 70033 (interior noise level tolerable for long-distance travel, improved fuel economy and performance)
Jet Performance power control module P/N 90701 Stage 1 (improved performance and economy, but requires 89 octane fuel)
Bilstein heavy duty shocks, P/N's BE5-D916-H0 (front), BE5-D917-H0 (rear) (much-improved cornering, braking and wheel control)
Richmond Gear PowerTrax No-Slip P/N 92-0382-2905 (traction! in mud, grass and on snowy surfaces)
Rotora cross-drilled and slotted brake rotors (order for each corner of car by description)(quiet, absolutely non-fade braking with ceramic pads)

Modifications I would not have made if I knew then what I do now:

BWoody Performance swaybar links (might have made a difference before the Bilsteins, but not worth removing)
JBA exhaust manifolds (installation was a nightmare, additional power (if any) inconsequential, exhaust noise slightly higher)

I do hope that some of you might benefit from my experiences.
welcome to the site and thanks for sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > New User Introductions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in