New Nitro Shock Owner - Dodge Nitro Forum
New Member Introductions If you are a new member, please stop in here to introduce yourself, tell us about your ride, or ask questions about how to use the forum. If you have questions about the Nitro, please post them in the appropriate category

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

New Nitro Shock Owner

Hi guys/gals

I am a long time Jeep person, always have had Jeeps, but I wanted something different. I stumbled on the Dodge Nitro thursday, actually I saw it a few years ago, but didnt care for it then, but now and after doing some car building I decided on the 2011 Nitro Shock 4wd with the 4.0L .. and that was a hard find considering they arent making it. I found one in San Jose and of course out of the state which I would have traveled to get.

Well after making the deal over the phone and securing the deposit with the dealer, I pick my new car up Saturday and I couldnt be more excited about it. One I am 46yrs old and have never bought a brand new car, I usually buy used, so I am just stoked ..

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4wd 4.0L but the new car will have all the bells and whistles .. now I need to find out about a few things ..

Like the roof rack? what the heck, do they make on for it? does the shock come with the cross bars? where can I order those? lololol .. forgive me, I know nothing about this vehicles accessories, I am a Jeep person, so I am sure I will have lots of questions here ..

I wanted the Blackberry but couldnt find one in the 4.0L so I got the Dark Charcoal .. wasn't going to settle for anything else besides these two colors or the model ..

Anyway thats my story and my vehicle

2011 Nitro Shock 4wd 4.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome driftgirl !

Thanks for the post and we are sure you will enjoy your NEW ride!

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you .. pretty excited, can't wait to get it

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Good morning, and welcome aboard. I, too, am a previous Jeep owner (3) and stumbled across the Nitro last spring.

Here is a link to the Sport Utility Bars (Production Bars):

Dodge Nitro Accessories - The Official Dodge Nitro Parts eStore offered by Chrysler

Here is a link to the installation instructions:

http://moparestore.trademotion.com/m...s/K6869491.pdf

This was the first addition I made to my Nitro. They are very easy to install. There are 4 bolts on each side holding the plastic rails to the roof. Remove these bolts, and re-install with the metal rails that come with the kit. The cross bars then attach to these rails. The rear bar has to be mounted forward of the antenna, or it could interfere with your Sirius signal.
The only problem I have found is this: where is the ideal mounting location for the cross bars to keep the noise to a minimum. They produce a loud, droning noise at speed. I posted this question to those members that have installed these but never received a reply. So, I settled on this:
The 4 bolts attaching each rail protrude high enough so that you can only move the cross bars in either direction between these bolts. To go past the bolt, you have to loosen the cross bar, lift it, and then move past the bolt. I found the positioning with the least noise is this: 1. Front Cross Bar: All the way forward to the first bolt. 2. Rear Cross Bar: All the way forward to the third bolt. This also keeps it away from the antenna.
There still is wind noise, just not as loud.
I have seen some Yakima racks that have a wind deflector across the front of the rack. I am thinking this must be for noise reduction, but I could be wrong. I am considering looking into the availability of one, and to see if it would be compatible with the front cross bar.
Good luck with your Nitro. Yours being a dark color would look awesome with the chrome package: front bumper, door handles, mirror covers!

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

I have to tell this story ..

4 days after I got my Nitro I went to the bank to do the final paper work on it so I could get that discount on my monthly payments. I got hit in the parking lot at the bank .. I was so upset, I cried for an hour .. I know its a girl thing to do, but its my first brand new car (im 45yrs old) and I was attached from the get go when I got up to San Jose to pick up my new car 2 weeks ago. I will get it back this coming Tues or Weds. the Dodge dealer here in Huntington Beach is waiting on a new rear bumper that is coming from Michigan.

They are replacing the rear bumper, the left sensor, the electrical unit for the tow and the brackets behind the bumper, oh an dthe scratch guard on the bumper .. It only had 670 miles on it when that jerk hit me, in california people dont buy cars that have a vin record on them.. I took pictures of it for resale for when I do resale it in 7yrs so they can see what kind of damage was done .. just upsets me ..

I am getting things in the mail that I had ordered. I ordered special made weathertech floor mats, front smoke bug shield, a rear cargo matt liner, the crossbars .. and I'm looking for a yakima rack for it now .. just makes me sad as these items show up and sit in my garage you know .. I only got to drive it for a week before it went ot the shop ..

I really like this car ..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
driftgirl

We all understand your sadness, but it appears that the damage is not major and when repaired no one except you will ever know of this event.

One thing you should be aware of is as you add accessories to your beloved Nitro is that these add-ons may not be covered if you were damaged or it was involved in another accident, or if your car was stolen or totaled. I learned the hard and expensive way with a previous vehicle that I modified (never have owned on that was not) and it ended up totaled. Doesn't happen often and you always loose all efforts that you perform yourself to make your new vehicle "Special".

I contacted my Insurance Agent and told him of my many add on accessories to my Nitro and found I could add an additional $2,000 coverage (max) for a small fee, so I added this rider. Again I would be heartbroken if my Nitro was damaged or worse, and still could suffer a major loss, but at least I have done all I can to protect myself and Nitro. Just something to consider.

Good luck and hopefully you and your Nitro will be back on the road soon. ENJOY!

Thanks for your post.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:36 AM

One other member got hit early on as you did, but he was hit in the front, as I recall. Two years ago, at work, one of my workers left in a "huff", and needless to say, floored it in reverse and hit my Commander on the passenger side, taking out both doors and bending the "B" pillar. This was right after I got it back from the dealer, off and on for 3 months trying to find out where a grinding noise was coming from. 2 new front axles, a new transfer case, tear apart and reassemble transmission. They had it more than I did. I asked them to start making the payments for me! Then, it was in the body shop for three more weeks! So, I feel your pain.

Can you take pictures when you get your rack, and let me know where you end up positioning your cross rails.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
One other member got hit early on as you did, but he was hit in the front, as I recall. Two years ago, at work, one of my workers left in a "huff", and needless to say, floored it in reverse and hit my Commander on the passenger side, taking out both doors and bending the "B" pillar. This was right after I got it back from the dealer, off and on for 3 months trying to find out where a grinding noise was coming from. 2 new front axles, a new transfer case, tear apart and reassemble transmission. They had it more than I did. I asked them to start making the payments for me! Then, it was in the body shop for three more weeks! So, I feel your pain.

Can you take pictures when you get your rack, and let me know where you end up positioning your cross rails.

I know my first payment is due next week .. lolol .. man yours is alot worse than mine.

Yes, I will take pictures .. will have to look at that closely because of the sunroof, but I dont think it will interfer because the crossbars look like they sit up a bit higher than the crossbars on the Jeep and I had an aftermarket sunroof on that one. The front crossbar on that one set right and the end of the sun roof, so I will start there with it. I haul two kayaks so I want to make sure there is a good balance up there between the bars .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > New User Introductions > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in