Marchionne comments on the future of SHAP - Dodge Nitro Forum
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News Find out the latest scoop here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Marchionne comments on the future of SHAP

Marchionne comments on the future of SHAP

Posted Thursday, Oct 1, 2009, 4:30 pm in Employee News

Chrysler Group CEO Sergio Marchionne answered a question about the future of the Sterling Heights (Mich.) Assembly Plant at an impromptu press conference this morning during a visit of the Italian economic minister to the Auburn Hills Complex.

Question: What is going to happen to the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant? Is it going to remain open for the next couple of years?

Marchionne: Im really glad that you waited for the Italian minister to show up to ask me a question about a plant in Michigan.

There was a decision that was made at the time in which Chrysler filed for bankruptcy that was part of a production plan that excluded Sterling Heights from continuing operations at Chrysler going forward. That view has not changed. Ive read the speculation in the press; Ive seen some people get incredibly excited about the fact that were about ready to change our mind.

I can tell you right now, I have no plans on my desk that would suggest that the decision is going to be reversed. I think that we need to look at a variety of factors before commitments like this are made. It was part of a very thorough understanding of a manufacturing footprint that Chrysler had, so I dont want anybody to start building up unfulfilled expectations. I think we need to be careful, and I think we need to walk before we start running here. I dont know if I can be any clearer.

If there is anything that needs to be done in connection with that plant, it certainly needs to be discussed first and foremost with the national leadership of the UAW. I understand the local interest in this issue, but I think we have a number of exchanges and commitments made with Ron Gettelfinger of the UAW. And I think that he is the first and foremost interface in the process.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro News & Polls > Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in