NASCAR: 3/31-04/01 (Sat & Sun) - Dodge Nitro Forum
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News Find out the latest scoop here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Exclamation NASCAR: 3/31-04/01 (Sat & Sun)

Martinsville Speedway

NOTE: TRUCK & SPRINT CUP (NO NATIONWIDE this weekend)

Records
Date Series Driver Speed

9/22/96 Sprint Cup Race Jeff Gordon 82.00
10/23/05 Sprint Cup Qualifying Tony Stewart 98.083
7/22/06 Nationwide Race Kevin Harvick 61.00
7/22/06 Nationwide Qualifying Clint Bowyer 95.951
10/18/03 Camping World Truck Race Jon Wood 72.00
10/29/11 Camping World Truck Qualifying Matt Crafton 96.352

NASCAR Preview
Kroger 250
Martinsville Speedway

Race Capsule
Martinsville Speedway

What: Race 2 of 22 on Camping World Truck circuit
Where: Martinsville Speedway, Ridgeway, VA
When: SATURDAY March 31, 2012 1:46 pm EDT SPEED
Laps: 250
Track Length: 0.526 miles
Race Length: 132.00 miles

Camping World Truck
Date Race Name Pole Winner Race Winner Make Purse
10/29/11 Kroger 200 Matt Crafton Denny Hamlin Toyota $433,360
4/2/11 Kroger 250 Johnny Sauter Johnny Sauter Chevrolet $481,493
10/23/10 Kroger 200 Kyle Busch Ron Hornaday Jr. Chevrolet $437,674
3/27/10 Kroger 250 Kevin Harvick Kevin Harvick Chevrolet $485,807
3/30/09 Kroger 250 Rick Crawford Kevin Harvick Chevrolet $498,018
10/24/09 Kroger 200 Mike Skinner Timothy Peters Toyota $449,885
10/18/08 Kroger 200 Ron Hornaday Jr. Johnny Benson Toyota $472,004
3/29/08 Kroger 250 Jack Sprague Dennis Setzer Ram $520,137

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

NASCAR Preview
Goody's Fast Relief 500
Martinsville Speedway

Race Capsule
Martinsville Speedway

What: Race 6 of 36 on Sprint Cup circuit
Where: Martinsville Speedway, Ridgeway, VA
When: SUNDAY April 1, 2012 1:13 pm EDT FOX
Laps: 500
Track Length: 0.526 miles
Race Length: 263.00 miles

Sprint Cup
Date Race Name Pole Winner Race Winner Make Purse
4/3/11 Goody's Fast Relief 500 Jamie McMurray Kevin Harvick Chevrolet $4,897,916
10/30/11 TUMS Fast Relief 500 Carl Edwards Tony Stewart Chevrolet $4,851,202
3/29/10 Goody's Fast Pain Relief 500 Kevin Harvick Denny Hamlin Toyota $4,935,846
10/24/10 TUMS Fast Relief 500 Denny Hamlin Denny Hamlin Toyota $4,886,673
3/29/09 Goody's Fast Pain Relief 500 Jeff Gordon Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet $5,066,999
10/25/09 TUMS Fast Relief 500 Ryan Newman Denny Hamlin Toyota $5,012,362
3/30/08 Goody's Cool Orange 500 Jeff Gordon Denny Hamlin Toyota $5,027,520
10/19/08 TUMS QuikPak 500 Jimmie Johnson Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet $4,972,883

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
SRT Motorsports - Dodge NSCS Race Advance - Martinsville
March 27, 2012 , MARTINSVILLE, Va. - For Immediate Release
SRT Motorsports - Dodge NSCS Race Advance
Goody's Fast Relief 500
Martinsville Speedway
Sunday, April 1, 2012

DODGE AT MARTINSVILLE SPEEDWAY
· Dodge drivers have recorded 10 wins at Martinsville Speedway since the track opened in 1949. Lee Petty got the first Dodge win on May 17, 1953. Dodge has three sweeps at the track (1953, 1956 and 1975).
· Dodge drivers posting wins at Martinsville include Lee Petty, Jim Paschal, Buck Baker, Jack Smith, Dave Marcis, Rusty Wallace, Bobby Isaac (2) and Richard Petty (2). Wallace posted the last Dodge win at Martinsville in the 2004 spring event, one of seven victories for Wallace, but his only win at Martinsville in a Dodge.

DODGE NEWS AND NOTES
· SRT Motorsports Engineering will unveil its updated R6P8 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series engine this weekend at Martinsville. The refreshed R6P8 will power both the No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger and No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger from Penske Racing.
· Dodge driver Brad Keselowski’s career best Sprint Cup finish at Martinsville was 10th at the 2010 fall event.
· A.J. Allmendinger had a career best Martinsville finish of ninth in the 2009 spring race, driving a Dodge.
· The No. 7 SPEED Energy Dodge Charger from Robby Gordon Motorsports has been withdrawn from this weekend’s event.

DODGE QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“We are excited to launch our new “closed deck” engine block with Penske Racing Engines for the Sprint Cup Series at Martinsville this weekend. We are very pleased with the performance and durability of our previous “open deck” block, but are introducing design changes to help improve head gasket life and future capability for power increases. The post machining and processing time at Penske’s engine shop will be significantly reduced. We will also take advantage of weight improvements that come along with the base block material changing to “compacted graphite iron” similar to the other manufacturers. We worked closely with NASCAR to ensure the changes are compliant and have competitive parity.”
Dave Bailey, SRT Motorsports Engineering

DODGE HISTORICAL DATA
· First Dodge NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Win: Lee Petty, 2/1/53, West Palm Beach, Fla., 100 miles, .5-mile track.
· Last Dodge NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Win: Brad Keselowski, 03/18/2012, Food City 500, Bristol Motor Speedway, 93.037 mph avg. speed.

FROM THE ENGINEER – RACING AT MARTINSVILLE
"Martinsville is the ultimate heat management test – managing the heat that the cars generate on this very tight track and managing the heat under the collar of any driver that's not leading the race. The engineers have to confine their focus to the heat that's generated by the car; doing that ultimately helps keep the driver a little cooler under the collar as well.

"I would argue that a Martinsville Sprint Cup race generates more parts-destroying heat from the engine, transmission, rear axle and brakes than any other race, not just in this series, but in all motorsports anywhere in the world. Coming up with efficient and effective cooling systems will be at the top of every engineer's to do list this week before this grueling test of components, unmatched anywhere in the world."
Howard Comstock, SRT Motorsports Engineering

THE DODGE BOYS
· Dodge has 213 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series wins.
· Dodge teams have posted 53 victories since the manufacturer’s return to NASCAR’s premier series in 2001 after being out of the sport since 1977.
· Dodge has posted wins each season since its return in 2001 including seven wins twice (2002 and 2006).

DID YOU KNOW?
· The Dodge Charger street car is the only rear-wheel-drive model in Sprint Cup Series competition that is available with a V-8 engine.
· SRT Motorsports includes all of Chrysler Group’s NASCAR racing efforts for Dodge and RAM.
· Dodge is an Official Passenger Car of NASCAR.
· SRT Motorsports is competing for championships in all three NASCAR touring series in 2012.

RACE NUGGETS
· A.J. Allmendinger’s career-best finish at Martinsville Speedway came in 2009 while driving a Dodge Charger. He finished ninth. His best finish this season is 15th which came last weekend at Auto Club Speedway.
Brad Keselowski’s seesaw start to the season has produced finishes of 32nd, 5th, 32nd, 1st and 18th in the first five NSCS. He led a career best 232 laps at Bristol two weeks ago en route to victory. He has started inside the top 15 only once this season – Bristol (3rd).

MARTINSVILLE -- THE NUMBERS
· 4 – number of jet dryers available for track drying this weekend.
· 34 – number of races at Martinsville won from the front row.
· 46 – different winners in 126 races.
· 56 – different pole winners.

DODGE QUOTES
“I thought that we had a good test for Martinsville. It’s one of my better tracks. I think that we need to keep making gains on it (race results). We struggled a bit last weekend getting a 15th-place finish. That’s not great, but we’re moving in the right direction. We need to go there, have a good car and keep building on what we’ve learned the first five races. It’s early in the season. I try and remember that it’s only my fifth race with Todd (Gordon) and we’re still trying to learn each other a bit. We’ve had fast cars all year. We just need to keep building on it race after race and continue to get better. I ran top-10 there in a Dodge before and I really like how Martinsville sets up to race. I’m excited to get there.”
A.J. Allmendinger, No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger

“Coming off the last short-track run that we had in Bristol in which we won, I’m excited to get to Martinsville this weekend. I think that our short-track program has been one of our strengths. This will be a true test for us. I feel that Martinsville owes us one after we ran so well there last fall only to get pushed up the track late in the race. We’ve tested at Little Rock in preparation for this weekend and I think that we’re bringing a pretty good package. The key for me is to be patient at Martinsville. You can’t use your stuff up too early in the race. You have to let the race come to you and stay away from contact. Anything can happen short-track racing. You have to make sure that you have all the fenders on it at the end.”
Brad Keselowski, No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger

Rick

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
SRT Motorsports - RAM NCWTS Race Advance - Martinsville Speedway
March 28, 2012 , MARTINSVILLE, Va. -

For Immediate Release
SRT Motorsports - RAM NCWTS Race Advance
Kroger 250
Martinsville Speedway
Saturday, March 301, 2012

Parker Kligerman
– No. 29 Cooper Standard RAM
Crew Chief: Doug Randolph

Career Stats:
Starts: 27
Wins: 0
Top Fives: 4
Top 10s: 9
Poles: 0
Laps Led: 31

2012 Season Stats
Starts: 1
Wins: 0
Top Fives: 0
Top 10s: 0
Poles: 0
Laps Led: 0

• Scored 11th-place finish in season opening race at Daytona (Fla.).
• Tenth in the series championship standings, 14 points behind leader John King and just nine behind second-place Timothy Peters.
• Both previous starts at Martinsville came in 2011. Has completed 100 percent (all 450 laps) in those races with a best finish of 13th coming in the fall event.
• Second season driving for Brad Keselowski Racing.
• Finished 11th in the 2011 point standings with four top-five and eight to-10 finishes.
• Posted runner-up finishes at Texas1 and Kentucky1 in 2011.

RAM DRIVER QUOTES
“I look at the points and I see about three or four guys that are championship contenders ahead of us. So right now, theoretically, we’re sitting third or fourth in the championship. We go to Martinsville and have a good run and we continue this for the first five (races), we’re going to be there. These guys are going to know that we’re there to come and get this championship. We’re going to figure out ways to win these races. We’ve got a great RAM for Martinsville. We’ve got a great RAM for Rockingham. Hopefully, they’ll see us atop the scoring pylon.”
-- Parker Kligerman

MARTINSVILLE SPEEDWAY NUMBERS
• RAM has five wins at Martinsville: Jimmy Hensley (1999), Bobby Hamilton (2000), Scott Riggs (2001), Jamie McMurray (2004) and Dennis Setzer (2008).
• Three RAM drivers have won poles at Martinsville: Joe Ruttman (2001), Ted Musgrave (2003 spring) and Bobby Hamilton Jr. (2006 spring).
• RAM has 17 top five and 40 top-10 finishes at Martinsville.
• The most RAM drivers to finish in the top 10 at Martinsville in a race were five in 2000: Hamilton, Setzer (fourth), Steve Grissom (fifth), Ruttman (sixth) and Randy Tolsma (seventh).
• At least one RAM driver has finished in the top 10 in 19 of the 26 previous NCWTS races at Martinsville.

RAM IN THE CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES
• Bobby Hamilton (2004) and Ted Musgrave (2005) won the season championship driving a RAM.
• RAM has captured the manufacturer’s championship three times in the 17-year history of the series – 2001, 2003 and 2004.
• Tony Raines gave RAM its first win in the series in 1997, winning at I-70 Speedway in Odessa, Mo.
• RAM won 15 of the 24 NCWTS races during the 2001 season, 13 of 25 in 2003 and 11 of 25 in 2004.
• There have been 418 races in the NCWTS beginning at Phoenix International Raceway on Feb. 2, 1995. There were three RAM drivers – Joe Bessey, Bob Keselowski and Walker Evans – in the 33-truck starting field. Bessey scored a fourth-place finish while Mike Skinner took the win.

RAM TALK
“You have to take care of the brakes at Martinsville, but you’ve got to turn in the middle. If you ever find yourself holding up that group of 10 behind you, you’re subject to get knocked around. That’s when you get in trouble.”
-- Doug Randolph, Crew Chief, No. 29 Cooper Standard RAM

Rick

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
There will be new power in the Penske Dodges when they hit the track for the Goody’s Fast Relief 500 at Martinsville Speedway next Sunday. Both the No. 2 Miller Lite Charger and the No. 22 Shell Pennzoil Charger will be running with SRT Motorsports newly updated R6P8 racing engine.

“We are excited to launch our new “closed deck” engine block with Penske Racing Engines for the Sprint Cup Series at Martinsville this weekend,” said Dave Bailey, SRT Motorsports Engineering. “We are very pleased with the performance and durability of our previous ‘open deck’ block, but are introducing design changes to help improve head gasket life and future capability for power increases. The post machining and processing time at Penske’s engine shop will be significantly reduced. We will also take advantage of weight improvements that come along with the base block material changing to “compacted graphite iron” similar to the other manufacturers. We worked closely with NASCAR to ensure the changes are compliant and have competitive parity.”
LINK: NASCAR Dodges running new R6P8 engines at Allpar Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep News

Rick

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
SRT Motorsports - Dodge Travis Geisler Interview - Martinsville
March 30, 2012 , MARTINSVILLE, Va. - Friday, March 30, 2012

Dodge PR
Martinsville Speedway
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Travis Geisler Open Interview

Travis Geisler (Director of Competition, Penske Racing)
“I think Martinsville is what it is. We all know it to be a really challenging racetrack from a lot of different perspectives. I think if you look at the brake systems, certainly you’ve got to have everything pretty much perfect for this weekend. You’ve got to make sure that all your systems are as perfect as you can make ‘em. Certainly, the stuff has come a long way and is a lot better than what it used to be where the drivers would really have to baby it throughout the race to make sure that you had it at the end. Now, I’d say it’s getting pretty close to where guys can run about as hard as they want to run for the majority of the race. I think tire beads have become a major concern here and I think a lot of that is because of better brake cooling. The guys can push everything harder, but that heat still has to go somewhere. You’ve got all your fans and everything pushing air through the brakes right next to the bead, so all you’re going to do is heat up your beads. Guys are taking some extra measures there to try to protect from the right-front failure that you see here. Intermittently, you’ll see guys pop ‘em and that’s a heat-related issue.

You look at your drivetrain and certainly the gear and transmission are big concerns. You’ll see guys change gears, axles, drive plates, all those piece before the race to try to have the freshest stuff in there because there isn’t really anywhere, other than a road course, that puts this kind of abuse on the drivetrain. A lot of the intermediate tracks have gotten pretty easy on ‘em, where you have a lot of constant speed. Here, it’s just start and stop. They advertise that’s hard on your street car; it’s hard on your race car, too.

Otherwise, it’s the same ol’ Martinsville. It’s tough racing, guys getting into each other. It seems like this one has become rougher than Bristol. I think you come out of Bristol now with better looking cars than you do out of here. A lot of that’s just guys feeling comfortable rubbing on each other here. This is still really one groove and it’s the only way you pass sometimes. Hot dogs are still red and we’re still here and the weather is a heck of a lot nicer than I can ever remember for the spring race.”

WHEN YOU ARE BUILDING A DODGE CHARGER FOR MARTINSVILLE, DO YOU TRY TO REINFORCE CERTAIN AREAS OF THE CAR BECAUSE OF THE CONTACT? “I think a lot of it goes with the weight concern. This is such a flat racetrack that where your CG (Center of Gravity) is has a major, major influence. If you’re looking at building a car, the weight almost becomes a bigger concern than anything else because you’re really not worried if the body gets torn up here. It doesn’t really hurt you from an aero perspective. You’ve got to keep it together enough that you don’t get black flagged, but past that you need everything as light as possible. I’d say that’s really what we’re focused on now when we build a Martinsville car. What do you do to take some weight out of the system and make your car go through a hairpin turn every quarter of a mile faster?”

PENSKE RACING HAS HAD A GOOD START TO THE SEASON, BUT THERE HAS BEEN SOME FRUSTRATIONS. “I think we’re still waiting for a little bit of everything to stabilize. This is a pretty good push here at the beginning of the season. It’s kind of crazy. You spend a couple weeks down in Daytona and then you’re out to Phoenix, out to Las Vegas, back to Bristol, back to Fontana, back to Martinsville. It’s kind of like nobody can really get into a rhythm because we’re kind of all over the place. You know I think things will definitely settle in here. I think the 2 car guys have picked up where they’ve left off and have had really good speed everywhere we’ve been. Obviously Daytona was a little bit disappointing for us. We felt like we certainly could have had better finishes there. You go to Bristol and have a great race there. A.J. missed the pole by a thousandth of a second and Brad was able to come away with a win, so I think we’re in a good spot. You know, obviously, we’d rather be first and second in points right now, but I think this point in the season last year, we were much farther behind than what we are now, maybe not from a point’s position as much as overall performance position.”

DOES IS JUST TAKE TIME FOR A NEW DRIVER AND CREW CHIEF COMBINATION TO GEL? “I think it definitely takes some time. We’ve got to figure out what A.J. wants and needs throughout the race and, the same way, he’s got to figure out how our cars are different. Even the engines drive differently. You’ve got different power bands, different torque curves between different manufacturers. You know that’s something he’s got to get used to. It’s a lot of things like that that you’ve got to get flushed out of the system. This is the highest level of motorsports in the country at least. It’s not an easy thing to step into and have great performance right out of the box. I think the good thing is they’ve had some really good speed and as long as you can find speed, you’ll smooth out getting through the races and getting things ironed out to where you don’t have issues. I’m not really too concerned there yet. Obviously, we’re excited about what they’ve been able to show at times. Now, we just need it all the way to the checkered flag.”

IS IT EASIER TO HAVE PATIENCE BECAUSE OF HOW BRAD WAS ABLE TO RALLY AND QUALIFY FOR THE CHASE? “The way the points system is now, it gives you a little bit of calmness. It’s still very difficult to make the Chase, but I do feel like that if you come out and you really put your act together, you will make the Chase even if you don’t have a perfect season. Used to take a really, really good, solid, perfect season to get in that thing and now with the Wild Card thing that Brad used last year to get in, there’s a good chance that if you really just get on a hot streak, you can get yourself into it. Obviously, we’d rather make it on points so that you get your bonus points for the wins that you have and be able to be in a better spot. That’s something that we felt hurt the 2 car last year. Going in with three wins, we would have been in a really nice spot, bonus spot wise. There’s always pressure. There’s pressure every week, but it’s not panic, though.”

WHAT ARE THE TEAM’S PLANS FOR THE OPEN WEEKEND? “We’ve got a test at Michigan next week with the 2 car. They’ll be up there for two days for a tire test. That’s a good opportunity for us to get to a track that’s been repaved and start to work out what that’s going to entails. Otherwise, we’ll be giving the guys a breather. We’ve got a couple more tire tests coming up, Dover and Pocono at the end of the month. We’ve got a busy month in April for sure and we’ll try to get the guys a couple days of rest and relief. We’ll get ‘em back in the front lines starting right after that. Everybody is doing a good job. We’ve got such a great support network back at the shop, all the guys that prepare this stuff for us every week. It’s just really an awesome organization to be a part of because, when you do have tough times, there are plenty of people there to support you and to get you through that.”

Rick

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
SRT Motorsports - RAM Parker Kligerman Interview - Martinsville
March 30, 2012 , MARTINSVILLE, Va. - Friday, March 30, 2012

RAM PR
Martinsville Speedway
NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
Open Interview

PARKER KLIGERMAN (No. 29 Cooper Standard RAM)

ARE YOU HAPPY WITH THE WAY YOUR SEASON STARTED AT DAYTONA? “Absolutely. I think you know that five-week break is a little annoying momentum-wise. Daytona is a race that, in my eyes, was a success because we fought back from a lot of adversity and came out with a good finish, got ourselves a really good point’s day. That’s what matters when you only have 22 races in a season. Going into Martinsville, that five-week break has given our team time to prepare, time to be ready. We’ve been able to test, get our trucks built up for the next few weeks and all those things kind of come together here with a sense of calm, because we’re so prepared and that’s a good thing.”

YOU STARTED BOTH RACES HERE AT MARTINSVILLE LAST YEAR. WHAT’S THE MAIN THING THAT YOU’VE LEARNED?
“Well, the first two times we came here we had a lot of adversity. I don’t think anything on my end or the team’s end, it was just bad luck. But we always showed speed and we can fix everything else as long as we have speed. I’m excited to come back here. I like the weather. It’s a little warmer and that could play to our advantage because I like hot, slick racetracks. We’ve got a great Cooper Standard RAM.”

THIS IS A PHYSICALLY DEMANDING RACETRACK. “You’ve got a lot of braking, high braking force. There’s a lot of beating and banging. If it’s a hot day, it can get pretty hot in there because there’s not a lot of airflow. All those things add together, but thankfully the truck races aren’t that long. I don’t think any of that will add up. For us, it’s about trying to predict the nature of the race; this race can either go a bunch of cautions or it can go a lot of green flag. That’s the biggest thing for us to determine. We hope that we have the right truck for both situations.”

HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR TEMPER IN CHECK HERE? “Bigger picture. The way I think about it is I’m here to win a championship. You don’t win championships by losing your cool or doing something on an impulse decision. It’s about making the most educated decision from all the factors that you have at the time. At this place yeah, you can easily lose your cool if you feel like you’re in a position where you’re able to lose some points or you have a chance to win. For us, we’re here to win a championship. We’re going to put ourselves in position to win races, but we’re not going to go out and force it. At the end of the day, hopefully, that works out for us points-wise. If it does, hopefully, we’ll be champions at the end of the year.”

IS THE PIT ROAD HERE THE MOST CHALLENGING ON THE CIRCUIT?
“Yes and no. It’s challenging off the space factor, for sure, but you know there are some other pit roads out there that, for whatever reason, they’re trickier because you actually have a lot of speed mixed with maybe a slick surface. But there is definitely an element of lack of space here that just creates a lot of congestion and the possibility of bent fenders.”

Rick

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
NASCAR Qualifying
Last Updated: Saturday, Mar 31, 2012
Goody's Fast Relief 500
Field Set Martinsville Speedway

Order Driver (No.) Car Qualifying Speed
1 Kasey Kahne (5) Chevrolet 97.128
2 Kevin Harvick (29) Chevrolet 97.048
3 Denny Hamlin (11) Toyota 97.003
4 Clint Bowyer (15) Toyota 97.003
5 Ryan Newman (39) Chevrolet 96.988
6 Brian Vickers (55) Toyota 96.765
7 Brad Keselowski (2) Dodge 96.750
8 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 96.746
9 Jeff Gordon (24) Chevrolet 96.731
10 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 96.706
11 Paul Menard (27) Chevrolet 96.701
12 Marcos Ambrose (9) Ford 96.627
13 Martin Truex Jr. (56) Toyota 96.583
14 Dale Earnhardt Jr. (88) Chevrolet 96.430
15 Tony Stewart (14) Chevrolet 96.322
16 Bobby Labonte (47) Toyota 96.215
17 Regan Smith (78) Chevrolet 96.200
18 Jeff Burton (31) Chevrolet 96.180
19 Aric Almirola (43) Ford 96.049
20 Jamie McMurray (1) Chevrolet 96.049
21 Matt Kenseth (17) Ford 95.971
22 Jimmie Johnson (48) Chevrolet 95.854
23 Michael McDowell (98) Ford 95.849
24 David Ragan (34) Ford 95.830
25 Casey Mears (13) Ford 95.796
26 Greg Biffle (16) Ford 95.743
27 A J Allmendinger (22) Dodge 95.738
28 Carl Edwards (99) Ford 95.607
29 David Reutimann (10) Chevrolet 95.607
30 Josh Wise (26) Ford 95.583
31 Landon Cassill (83) Toyota 95.511
32 Juan Pablo Montoya (42) Chevrolet 95.477
33 Scott Riggs (23) Chevrolet 95.352
34 Travis Kvapil (93) Toyota 95.347
35 Reed Sorenson (74) Chevrolet 95.223
36 Ken Schrader (32) Ford 95.127
37 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 94.936
38 David Gilliland (38) Ford 94.780
39 David Stremme (30) Toyota 94.609
40 Kurt Busch (51) Chevrolet 94.567
41 Hermie Sadler (33) Chevrolet 94.486
42 Dave Blaney (36) Chevrolet 93.180
43 J.J. Yeley (249) Toyota 93.212
44 Scott Speed (52) DNQ 92.101
45 Mike Bliss (119) DNQ 84.846
46 Tony Raines (37) DNQ -

Rick

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
SRT Motorsports - Dodge NSCS Qualifying Quotes - Martinsville
March 31, 2012 , MARTINSVILLE, Va. -

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dodge PR
Martinsville Speedway
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Goody’s Fast Relief 500
Post-Qualifying Quotes

Brad Keselowski (No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger R/T) Qualified 7th
“I think that’s going to be respectable for sure. I would have liked to have had a little bit more, obviously, but it’s solid. It’s a 500-lap race tomorrow and we’ll take that as a starting position. I think it was certainly a disadvantage to go early on because of the car (Mike Bliss) that dropped oil. After about the 15th or 20th car, it looked like the track was good.”

WITH THE BEATING AND BANGING THAT GOES ON, HOW IMPORTANT IS IT TO START UP FRONT HERE? “Starting spot is important everywhere you go. Here, it is and it isn’t. It’s more important for the pit road selection.”

A.J. Allmendinger (No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T) Qualified 27th
“We’re going back and forth. We’re going to keep fighting it and keep learning, that’s all we can do. It’s definitely not where we want to be. It’s kind of weird. It’s like all these places I thought I was good at, I kind of suck at right now. All these places I suck at, I’m actually good at.”

ARE YOU STRUGGLING WITH FORWARD BITE UP OFF THE CORNER? “No, it’s everything. There’s not one thing. We’ve got to fix everything. We just kind of go back and forth. There’s no happy medium right now. I guess that’s a good thing because we can swing the bar back and forth, so we’re not just stuck in a box where we’re fighting one thing and can’t fix it. We just can’t fix everything at once. All we can do is just keep going to work and keep fighting and figure out what we need to do to be better. This is one of those racetracks where if you can be clean, be smart, you can still get a good finish out of it. We’ve got to keep digging. It’s not where we want to be.”

Rick

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
SRT Motorsports - Dodge NSCS Keys For Success - Martinsville
March 31, 2012 , MARTINSVILLE, Va. -

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Goody’s Fast Relief 500 Dodge PR
Martinsville Speedway
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Keys For Success

KEYS FOR SUCCESS: GOODY’S FAST RELIEF 500

MARTINSVILLE, Va. (Saturday, March 31, 2012) – Each race weekend, selected SRT Motorsports Engineers, Penske Racing engineers and crew chiefs, drivers or engine specialists give their insight on the ‘Keys for Success’ for the upcoming race. This week, Howard Comstock, SRT Motorsports Engineering, provides the keys for Sunday’s Sprint Cup race.

Track: Martinsville Speedway (Race 6 of 36 in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series)

Race: Goody’s Fast Relief 500 (500 laps / 263 miles)

Trivia Question: Who was the most recent Dodge driver to win at Martinsville? (Answer Below)

HOWARD COMSTOCK (SRT Motorsports Engineering)

New Tire Compound: “One big change this year is the new tire. You can see that it’s made a difference in speed. A softer tire is faster for a while, but I think we’re going to see tires back in play at Martinsville which is something we haven’t seen for a while. That will change the complexion of the race.”

Pit Strategy: “I’ve seen plenty cases here of over-pitting, guys pitting too often. I think the smart crew chiefs are going to manage the pit stops, the frequency and the placement of the pit stops to get the most out of the tires that they’ve got. There’s going to be adjustments from last year and I don’t think fuel economy is going to be an issue. I think you’re going to have to get tires before you get gas.”

Pit Road: “I think they’ve done a good job here. It’s spread out around the track and you have to appreciate that as a configuration. Bristol has its own quirks which you have to work to. Dover is terribly narrow and tight with short pit boxes, so I think there are a lot of tracks that have equally challenging pit roads.”

Clean Racetrack: “If we get the truck race in and it looks like we will, that will be important for the Sprint Cup race. The track seemed to take rubber well enough yesterday that I think we’ll be back in good shape by race time on Sunday.”

Trivia Question Answer: Rusty Wallace, who won the 2004, Advance Auto Parts 500 (spring race) at Martinsville. Wallace edged Bobby Labonte by just .538 seconds for the win.

Rick

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Kroger 250

Order Driver (No.) Car Pts/Bonus Laps Laps Led Winnings
1 Kevin Harvick (2) Chevrolet 48/5 250 248 $33,300
2 Ty Dillon (3) Chevrolet 43/1 250 2 $25,340
3 James Buescher (31) Chevrolet 41/0 250 0 $18,785
4 Justin Lofton (6) Chevrolet 40/0 250 0 $15,300
5 Timothy Peters (17) Toyota 39/0 250 0 $14,200
6 Nelson Piquet Jr. (30) Chevrolet 38/0 250 0 $11,675
7 Ross Chastain (08) Toyota 37/0 250 0 $14,525
8 Jason Leffler (18) Toyota 36/0 250 0 $9,225
9 John King (7) Toyota 35/0 250 0 $11,425
10 Jason White (23) Ford 34/0 250 0 $12,650
11 Parker Kligerman (29) Ram 33/0 250 0 $11,325
12 J.R. Fitzpatrick (60) Chevrolet 32/0 250 0 $8,950
13 Jeb Burton (27) Chevrolet 31/0 250 0 $11,150
14 David Starr (81) Toyota 30/0 250 0 $8,850
15 Cale Gale (33) Chevrolet 29/0 250 0 $12,100
16 Ron Hornaday Jr. (9) Chevrolet 28/0 250 0 $8,700
17 Miguel Paludo (32) Chevrolet 27/0 250 0 $10,900
18 Jake Crum (07) Chevrolet 26/0 249 0 $10,850
19 Max Gresham (24) Chevrolet 25/0 249 0 $10,800
20 David Reutimann (92) Chevrolet 24/0 249 0 $9,100
21 Dakoda Armstrong (98) Toyota 23/0 248 0 $8,450
22 Paulie Harraka (5) Ford 22/0 248 0 $10,675
23 John Wes Townley (09) Toyota 21/0 248 0 $8,400
24 Matt Crafton (88) Chevrolet 20/0 246 0 $10,600
25 Todd Bodine (11) Toyota 19/0 246 0 $8,425
26 Bryan Silas (99) Ford 18/0 244 0 $10,475
27 Chris Cockrum (93) Chevrolet 17/0 241 0 $10,450
28 Brennan Newberry (214) Chevrolet 16/0 234 0 $8,175
29 Johnny Sauter (13) Toyota 15/0 231 0 $10,125
30 Joey Coulter (22) Chevrolet 14/0 228 0 $9,100
31 Clay Greenfield (168) Ram 13/0 151 0 $8,155
32 Ryan Sieg (39) Chevrolet 12/0 148 0 $7,625
33 Dusty Davis (15) Toyota 11/0 104 0 $7,600
34 Jennifer Jo Cobb (8) Ram 10/0 95 0 $7,575
35 Jeff Agnew (170) Chevrolet 9/0 90 0 $7,550
36 Rick Crawford (73) Chevrolet 8/0 6 0 $7,495

Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro News & Polls > Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in