NASCAR 8/13-14 (Sat & Sun) - Dodge Nitro Forum
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News Find out the latest scoop here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Exclamation NASCAR 8/13-14 (Sat & Sun)

Watkins Glen International

Zippo 200 at The Glen

Race Capsule

What: Race 23 of 34 on Nationwide circuit
Where: Watkins Glen International, Watkins Glen, NY
When: August 13, 2011 2:17 pm EDT
Laps: 82
Track Length: 2.45 miles
Race Length: 201.00 miles

Records
Date Series Driver Speed

8/13/95 Sprint Cup Race Mark Martin 103.00
8/10/03 Sprint Cup Qualifying Jeff Gordon 124.580
8/7/10 Nationwide Race Marcos Ambrose 94.00
8/7/10 Nationwide Qualifying Marcos Ambrose 122.410

Nationwide Series
Upcoming Race Aug 13
Zippo 200 at The Glen
Preview | Qualifying

Track Facts

Banking/Turns: 7-turn
Distance: 2.45 miles
Shape: 7-turn

Nationwide
Date Race Name Pole Winner Race Winner Make Purse

8/7/10 Zippo 200 at The Glen Marcos Ambrose Marcos Ambrose Toyota $1,028,449
8/8/09 Zippo 200 at The Glen Kevin Harvick Marcos Ambrose Toyota $1,177,126
8/9/08 Zippo 200 Dario Franchitti Marcos Ambrose Ford $1,181,288
8/11/07 Zippo 200 at The Glen Kurt Busch Kevin Harvick Chevrolet $1,144,803

Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen
Race Capsule

What: Race 22 of 36 on Sprint Cup circuit
Where: Watkins Glen International, Watkins Glen, NY
When: August 14, 2011 1:18 pm EDT
Laps: 90
Track Length: 2.45 miles
Race Length: 221.00 miles

Records
Date Series Driver Speed

8/13/95 Sprint Cup Race Mark Martin 103.00
8/10/03 Sprint Cup Qualifying Jeff Gordon 124.580
8/7/10 Nationwide Race Marcos Ambrose 94.00
8/7/10 Nationwide Qualifying Marcos Ambrose 122.410

Sprint Cup Series
Upcoming Race Aug 14

Track Facts

Banking/Turns: 7-turn
Distance: 2.45 miles
Shape: 7-turn

Most Cup Wins (since 1975)

Tony Stewart: 5

Sprint Cup
Date Race Name Pole Winner Race Winner Make Purse

8/8/10 Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen Carl Edwards Juan Pablo Montoya Chevrolet $4,816,919
8/10/09 Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen Jimmie Johnson Tony Stewart Chevrolet $4,934,858
8/10/08 Centurion Boats at The Glen Kyle Busch Kyle Busch Toyota $4,895,379
8/12/07 Centurion Boats at The Glen Jeff Gordon Tony Stewart Chevrolet $4,800,931

-

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Exclamation

Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NNS Race Advance - Watkins Glen
August 10, 2011 , WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes
NNS Race Advance
Zippo 200 at The Glen
Saturday, Aug. 13, 2011

BRAD KESELOWSKI UPDATE
Dodge’s Brad Keselowski will not compete in the Nationwide Series event this weekend at The Glen. He continues to receive treatment for injuries, including a broken left ankle, sustained during a testing accident at Road America. He was replaced in the No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge by Sam Hornish Jr. last week at Iowa. Hornish started third and led 39 laps before a tire issue dropped him to 24th at the checkered flag. Kurt Busch has been named to drive the No. 22 Discount Tire/Ruby Tuesday Dodge Challenger this weekend.

PENSKE RACING STATEMENT
“As Brad Keselowski continues to recover from the injuries suffered last week at Road Atlanta, Penske Racing teammate Kurt Busch will pilot the No. 22 Discount Tire/Ruby Tuesday Dodge Challenger in this weekend’s NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) race at Watkins Glen International. Penske Racing is fortunate that Kurt, who is a former NNS winner at Watkins Glen, is in its stable of drivers. We appreciate him lending a hand during this time. We will continue to monitor Brad’s recovery. His NNS schedule will be determined on a race-by-race basis.”
Tim Cindric, President

KURT BUSCH AT THE GLEN
· In two previous Nationwide starts at Watkins Glen, Kurt Busch was on the pole in both and has a win (2006) and a third-place (2007) finish. He is the youngest pole winner for a Nationwide event at The Glen (28 years, eight days). He is one of two Dodge drivers to win on the 2.45-mile, seven-turn road course. Ryan Newman won the event in 2005. Busch also won at Texas Motor Speedway (2006) in Nationwide competition. He made seven starts in the series in 2006 and four in 2007, but hasn’t competed in the series since until this weekend.

KURT BUSCH – No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger R/T
Career Stats:
Starts: 11
Wins: 2
Top Fives: 7
Top 10s: 9
Poles: 2
Laps Led: 417
Average Start: 7.9
Average Finish: 8.5

THE NUMBERS
· The race has been won from the pole five times in the 17 previous Nationwide events and nine times from the front row. Only four wins have come from a starting position outside the top 10.

DID YOU KNOW
· Penske Racing and Dodge have two Nationwide Series wins of this season. Brad Keselowski posted victories at Kentucky Speedway and Lucas Oil Raceway.
· Dodge won its first Nationwide championship last year when Brad Keselowski claimed the driver’s title. It was the first NASCAR title for Penske Racing.
Marcos Ambrose has won the 82-lap Nationwide event three consecutive years.

DODGE IN THE NASCAR NATIONWIDE SERIES
· Dodge is fielding two entries in the Nationwide Series this year from the Penske Racing stable. Sam Hornish Jr. joins teammate Brad Keselowski for a limited race schedule.

MONTREAL NATIONWIDE RACE
Jacques Villeneuve will drive the No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger at Montreal and Alex Tagliani will be in the No. 12 Hot Wheels Dodge Challenger. Both cars will be prepared and serviced by Penske Racing.

FROM THE DRIVER
“I have always tried to be a great team player throughout my career and I am happy to help out our Penske Racing Team over on the Nationwide side this weekend at The Glen. With the incredible effort Brad Keselowski put forth last weekend in winning Sunday’s race at Pocono, we think it’s a smart move to let him focus on just the Sprint Cup action this weekend. We were able to win the race the last time we battled it out on a Saturday at the Glen back in 2006. We’re looking forward to being behind the wheel of the No. 22 Discount Tire/Ruby Tuesday Dodge this weekend.”
Kurt Busch, No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger R/T

Rick

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Dodge Mototsports Notes & Quotes - NSCS Race Advance - Watkins Glen

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. , Aug 9, 2011 - For Immediate Release
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes
NSCS Race Advance
26TH Annual HELUVA GOOD! SOUR CREAM DIPS at The Glen
Sunday, Aug. 14, 2011

DODGE NEWS AND NOTES
· Dodge’s Kurt Busch is looking to sweep both Cup Series road course tracks on the 2011 regular-season schedule. Busch earned his first road course victory in June at Infineon Raceway, leading 76 of 110 laps.
· Busch finished second at The Glen last year, his career best at the track. It was his third consecutive top-10 finish at the seven-turn course with an inter-loop and fifth consecutive inside the top 20.

WATKINS GLEN INTERNATIONAL
· Dodge started 1-2 at the 2006 Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen; Kurt Busch started from the pole, led 38 laps before finishing 19th. Kasey Kahne started second in the Dodge Dealers Dodge from Evernham Motorsports.
· Dodge’s Brad Keselowski finished 20th last year in his first Sprint Cup race at The Glen.
· Robby Gordon’s last Cup victory came at Watkins Glen; he led 30 laps en route to victory in 2003. Gordon has an average finishing position of 13.3 at Watkins Glen International – the best of all 23 Cup Series tracks he has competed on.

2011 DODGE SPRINT CUP REWIND
· Race 1: Kurt Busch won the season-opening Bud Shootout and a Gatorade Duel at Daytona International Speedway.
· Races 12-15: Dodge earned four-consecutive poles.
· Race 13: Keselowski wins Kansas. First Dodge win of the season
· Race 16: Busch dominated at Infineon. Earned first win of season and first road-course victory of his career.
· Race 21: Keselowski, racing with a broken left ankle, earns his second win of the season and first at Pocono Raceway.

THE DODGE BOYS
· Dodge has 210 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series victories.
· Dodge’s most recent win came last weekend at Pocono Raceway. Dodge’s Brad Keselowski led 19 of the 200 laps en route to victory. The victory was the third for Dodge in 2011.
· Dodge teams have posted 50 victories since the manufacturer’s return to NASCAR’s premier series in 2001 after being out of the sport since 1977.
· Dodge has posted wins each season since its return in 2001 including seven wins twice (2002 and 2006).

INSIDE THE NUMBERS
· Dodge’s Brad Keselowski earned his second Sprint Cup Series win of the season last weekend at Pocono and moved up three positions to 18th in the driver standings. With two wins, Keselowski is now the No. 1 driver eligible for one of the two wild card births in the 2011 Chase for the Sprint Cup.

DID YOU KNOW
· Robby Gordon leads current Dodge drivers with one win, seven top-five finishes at Watkins Glen. Gordon will be driving a new Dodge Charger that was just completed in the Robby Gordon Motorsports shop.

FROM THE ENGINEER
"It's gotten to the point we just assume in this series that the Watkins Glen road race can be won by strategy and fuel economy. Both are extremely important for a win, but the reason we can focus on those two elements is because the rest of the components in the Sprint Cup cars are so good that we have that luxury. It wasn't so many years ago that transmission, rear axle, brake, and engine problems would spell the end of the day for many good teams, but that's much less the case today. Engineers have come up with answers to many durability problems with better materials, coatings, lubricants, and cooling devices, that today's Sprint Cup car looks indestructible by comparison. Winning teams have turned their focus to a good setup, smart strategy, and great fuel economy while assuming that they have already achieved the best in durability."
Howard Comstock, Dodge Motorsports Engineering

ODDS AND ENDS
· Dodge’s Kurt Busch moved up two positions to fourth in the Sprint Cup point standings after his third-place finish at Pocono last weekend. Busch is the only driver in the Sprint Cup Series who has been in the top 10 in the season point standings every race. He has won a Cup race in each of his first 10 seasons – the second longest active streak amongst current Cup Series drivers.
· With Keselowski’s win at Pocono Raceway he is now qualified for the 2011 Sprint Summer Showdown and a chance to win $1,000,000 for himself, his charity and a fan if the Penske Racing driver can win the Sprint Cup race on Sept. 4 at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

STAT OF THE WEEK
· Kurt Busch has led laps in nine of the last 10 Sprint Cup races and has an average finish of 8.4 in those races.

DODGE MOTORSPORTS QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“With the performance we had out at Sonoma (Infineon) back in June, that really revs up our outlook heading back into Watkins Glen again for Sunday’s race. We’re coming in there going full steam ahead in our quest to sweep the road course races this season. If we can show the level of strength we’ve enjoyed the last few times out, I certainly think we’ll have a good shot of doing it.”
Kurt Busch, driver, No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T

DODGE QUOTES
“Like I’ve been telling people since last year, this weekend’s race at Watkins Glen has been locked in on our radar screen. To race with (Juan Pablo) Montoya and (Marcos) Ambrose like we did there last year was definitely a confidence-builder. Those two guys come from a different world when it comes to road course racing. We got by Ambrose at the end and were closing in on Montoya.”
Kurt Busch, No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T

“At the Glen you need to concentrate on where you can brake heavily and where you can put the power down when you need to so that you carry big runs down the straightaway. To me, Watkins Glen is more of a stock car driver’s road course. You can throw your car around a little more than Sonoma, especially with the new runoff areas, because you don’t have to worry about getting stuck in the sand traps anymore. I’m still learning how to be a better road course racer, but it’s starting to click with me.

“I felt much better on Monday after a good night’s rest. A win is good medicine too. It’s just going to take time to let everything heal properly. Good racecars make it very easy on you when you’re hurt or sick and Paul (Wolfe, crew chief) has been building excellent cars this season. If there is a silver lining to the wreck at Road Atlanta, it’s that we weren’t testing our primary car for Watkins Glen. It’s still in one piece and it’s the same car that we finished inside the top-10 with at Sonoma. It will still be uncomfortable in the car this weekend, but I’ll have to man up one more time because we don’t have time to let injuries get in the way of making the Chase.”
Brad Keselowski, No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger R/T

Rick

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Saturday, Aug. 13, 2011

Dodge Motorsports PR Watkins Glen International

26TH ANNUAL HELUVA GOOD! SOUR CREAM DIPS AT THE GLEN

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

KURT BUSCH (No. 22 Shell/Pennzoil Dodge Charger R/T) WHAT IS YOUR REACTION TO JIMMIE JOHNSON’S COMMENTS TOWARDS YOU YESTERDAY IN THE MEDIA CENTER? “When you said Jimmie was in here, I didn’t know if you meant (Jimmy) Spencer or (Jimmie) Johnson (laughs).

“It’s one of those emotions that boiled over and I felt like the way that we raced each other on the track was what champions need to do. And that is to bring the cars home where they were running on track. Third and fourth is where we were and that’s where we crossed the line. Where we raced each other with a juke-and-jive and rubbin’, that’s racing. I was caught up in it this week following it. I talked to my dad about things and my dad was like, ‘well, that’s rubbin’. That’s racing, son. That’s how it works.’ He just gave me that confidence to know and he’s the one that taught me a lot about racing. Everything that I’ve done in racing is to try and make him proud. He’s like, ‘it’s rubbin’ is racing.’ I’m putting the “R” back in racing and rubbin’ is racing.”

ANY CONCERN ABOUT THE EMOTION BETWEEN YOU AND JIMMIE MIGHT BE A FACTOR IN YOUR CHASE FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP? “It can. I look at year’s past before the Chase points system was implemented, back in the early 90′s when you had Davey Allison, Alan Kulwicki and Bill Elliott running that year. When that group starts to separate themselves on who’s going to run for the championship, just like years past with Rusty Wallace and Dale Sr., it was those two guys. You always seem like you have two or three guys, and then it got down just to two guys who were going to compete for the championship. I’d love to see that atmosphere. If we can perform well enough in the Chase and be in position to race Jimmie Johnson for the championship head-to-head, that would be wonderful. For the way the new points system was structured, it’s not really possible because you can’t just focus on one guy. There’s going to be 12 guys that make this Chase and every one of them has a shot at the championship. I feel like you just can’t focus on one, you’ve got 11 other guys out there.”

WERE YOU SURPRISED THAT JIMMIE WAS THAT ANGRY LAST WEEKEND AFTER THE RACE? WHERE IS THE LINE FOR ‘RUBBIN’ IN RACING? “He was very excited after the race and came over to my car in my pit area where we were parked and was really excited. For me, I think the line was when he swerved at us to break the draft, that’s not a move of a five-time champion. That’s the move of a guy that has had an issue with a guy like me. We’ve raced each other hard and I’ve been spun out and wrecked a few times. We both know that we look at each other very sternly. That’s great competition. That blends into rubbin’ is racing. When you have a history with a guy, you just don’t forget about it. I learned from one of the greats about how to keep a memory of who does you right or who does you wrong and that was Jimmy Spencer. He taught me a lot.”

WHEN YOU FIRST MET YOUR TEAMMATE BRAD KESELOWSKI, WHAT WERE YOUR IMPRESSIONS OF HIM? HAS YOUR RESPECT FACTOR CHANGED FOR HIM OVER THE LAST YEAR? “Brad’s done a tremendous job of blending into our system at Penske. He raced for Dale Jr. for a while and was following Jr.’s mold and that’s going to take you places. So is the Penske way of life. He’s done an incredible job of working with those Nationwide jobs in winning that championship.

“Now to have Paul Wolfe on his side on the Cup side, those two are definitely clicking and hitting on all eight cylinders. It’s neat to see his maturity continue to grow. The “Bad Brad” label is not as bad. He’s able to go out there now and compete at a level that’s going to get him a Chase berth. That’s what we want to see. Right now, he’s in great position to get that Chase berth.”

YOU’RE BEING AWFUL NICE ON JIMMIE. WHAT ARE YOUR REACTIONS ON WHAT HE SAID ABOUT YOU? “It’s great. It means that I’m in his head and if I’m in his head, he’s got to worry about us running through this Chase.”

WHAT’S A COMFORTABLE POINTS MARGIN WHEN LOOKING AT MAKING THE CHASE? “I’m glad that we’re in a more comfortable position, being up in the top-four and having an 88-point cushion on the cutoff. You can gain 40-some points in a race and you always think of that as the ‘big cushion’. So right now we have a two-race cushion. I’m glad that we can sit on the outside of the fence and not be one of those guys racing their way in or trying to race for a win. How many guys like David Ragan, Paul Menard, (Denny) Hamlin could fall into that, (Tony) Stewart’s going to be in the mix. You’ve got guys like Dale Jr. who doesn’t have a win and is right on the edge. There’s going to be a half-a-dozen guys going into Richmond with the stress level pegged.”

CAN YOU TALK ABOUT BRAD’S TOUGHNESS? “You’ve got two tough tracks in a row. Martinsville would be the toughest with someone with a foot problem like that. He’s a tough character. He’s going through the rehab portion of it, doing what he can to go through the pain to try to get it better for when he really needs (it) and that’s when the Chase starts. He just needs to do the right things from the doctors and follow their lead. I’m just here to lend a hand and try to help up relieving his duties on the Nationwide car, so that the No. 2 team is focused. I worked with those Miller guys for years and they want to be in the Chase. They want to be a player towards the championship.”

CAN YOU SPEAK ABOUT THE DYNAMIC INSIDE THE TEAM AND HOW BRAD HAS BEEN ABLE TO ADD TO THE TEAM? WILL THAT CHANGE IF YOU ARE BOTH TITLE CONTENDERS? “I felt like Brad’s intensity for that Nationwide car really kept him back a little bit last year. But that was the focus, to bring that championship home in that Nationwide car and continue to build on the Cup side. So to see him settle in with Paul (Wolfe) and where they are as a team (is great). Their pit crew on the No. 2 car is hands-down faster than the No. 22 this year. Those guys have that desire, youthful exuberance, to go and to try different things and find it. Right now they’re putting it together. My team needs to feed off of that and find the groove the next few weeks to be that championship leader within the Penske team.”

DO YOU THINK THAT YOU AND JIMMIE WOULD HAVE HAD A DIFFERENT DISCUSSION IF YOU HAD MORE TIME AFTER THE RACE? “If we would have run into each other in the motor coach lot afterwards, the adrenaline would have calmed down a bit and there would have been a better discussion. He’s was really amped up. He felt that I did him wrong. The response that we got from different people this week and the race fans, they said it was exciting and that’s what they wanted to see. That’s the intensity and passion that our sport is built off of. This is a bunch of guys running stock cars in the Southeast. This isn’t open-wheel racing where we’re supposed to pass each other clean and be leading by 10 seconds.”

WITH BRAD LIKELY TO BE IN THE CHASE, HOW DOES THAT DYNAMIC CHANGE WHEN THE TEAM HAS TO SUPPORT TWO CARS IN THE CHASE? “It’s just more hard work from those fabricators in the back. Like last year, we made the Chase, Brad didn’t. If there was a car that was built off of new specs and went to the wind tunnel and showed brand new numbers, obviously it would go to the championship-running team. Now if you have a new car that is built and it spits out these great numbers and you have to have this next week at Charlotte, we need to have two now. Maybe if I was going to run my car at Charlotte, then he would get that car and I would get the new one based off of where we are in points.

“I go back to some of my memories at Roush Racing when had five cars in the Chase. We had cars going everywhere. We had people pulling ropes like it was tug-o-war trying to get the best pieces for them. I remember winning the Loudon race the year that I won the championship and Mark Martin wanted that car for Phoenix. Where do we stand?

“I’m up there in points, but Mark Martin is the veteran and the guy supposed to be running for this championship level. It gets very difficult when you have a lot of cars in the Chase. Luckily at Penske Racing, we have the facility and the people to crank out good new equipment if something comes up.”

DID YOU EVER ANTICIPATE BEING THIS GOOD OF A ROAD RACER? “It’s been a work in progress. I thought all along I could run hard on the road courses. The one race that helped me get to this point in my career was winning at Southwest Tour race at Infineon. It was only my second time on a big-time road course like that. Racing in the Grand Am Series in Rolex cars, just trying to run anything that I can on a road course over the years. I always thought road courses had a feeling of an ‘off-weekend’ where there weren’t points at stake. It was to go have fun and enjoy the atmosphere. That’s the mentality that I’ve taken. It’s led to a few poles and one win. I’ve actually got one win here in the Nationwide car. It’s fun to get out there and test your skills at a road course because we run so many ovals that you still want to be the jack of all trades on road courses. I’ve had fun running on dirt tracks and street stock cars and even my NHRA Pro Stock car.”

Rick

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Saturday, Aug. 13, 2011

Dodge Motorsports PR Watkins Glen International

Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips At The Glen

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

KEYS FOR SUCCESS: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen

WATKINS GLEN (Saturday, Aug. 13, 2011) – Each race weekend, selected Dodge Motorsports engineers, Penske Racing engineers and crew chiefs, drivers or engine specialists give their insight on the ‘Keys for Success’ for the upcoming race. This week, Howard Comstock, Dodge Motorsports Engineering – provides the keys for Sunday afternoon’s Sprint Cup race.

Track: Watkins Glen International (Race 22 of 36 in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series)

Race: Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen (90 laps / 220.5 miles)

Trivia Question: (Answer Below) Kurt Busch has two career NASCAR Nationwide Series wins. At what two tracks did he claim those victories?

HOWARD COMSTOCK (Dodge Motorsports Engineering)

Fuel Economy: “You can’t ignore fuel economy. This race has been won the last five years with a specific pit strategy where fuel economy plays a large part. Teams will run the race backwards – figure out how many laps from the end that they can stop for fuel and make it to the end and continue to subtract a tank of fuel to determine when they need to make their first pit stop. You’ve got two full fuel runs and one partial fuel run. Many of the teams will stop when they get to the lap during the first segment where they think that they can make it to the checkered flag on two full fuel loads. On a road course, you’re better off stopping under green than stopping under caution. The cautions may fall to help teams, but when you’re planning, you have to plan for fuel economy. The tires are so good this year that the tires will last through a full (fuel) load. And even if they fall off as the cars are burning fuel, teams won’t come for tires. It’s going to be all about fuel. Teams are running record laps at Watkins Glen this year. If they’re running record laps, how much fuel are they burning and how does that affect their fuel economy. It will be interesting to watch.”

Durability: “People tend to forget about durability. This is a fast track with lots of RPMs. Lots of upshifts, lots of downshifts. Hard braking. There’s potential for transmission, rear axle and brake troubles. We’ve got good systems on these race cars now, but you have to remember that being able to use strategy is based upon a driver being able to run the entire 220 miles. You have to watch the components while remembering fuel economy.”

Trivia Question Answer: Texas Motor Speedway (2006) and Watkins Glen (2006)

Rick

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
NASCAR Qualifying
Last Updated: Saturday, Aug 13, 2011 1:55 pm, EDT
Connected Status: Field Set Watkins Glen International

Order Driver (No.) Car Qualifying Speed

1 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 126.421
2 A J Allmendinger (43) Ford 126.041
3 Marcos Ambrose (9) Ford 125.984
4 Jimmie Johnson (48) Chevrolet 125.663
5 Juan Pablo Montoya (42) Chevrolet 125.654
6 Ryan Newman (39) Chevrolet 125.314
7 Tony Stewart (14) Chevrolet 125.238
8 Carl Edwards (99) Ford 125.202
9 Martin Truex Jr. (56) Toyota 124.968
10 Regan Smith (78) Chevrolet 124.940
11 Bobby Labonte (47) Toyota 124.915
12 Brad Keselowski (2) Dodge 124.908
13 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 124.904
14 Jamie McMurray (1) Chevrolet 124.791
15 Boris Said (51) Chevrolet 124.701
16 David Ragan (6) Ford 124.550
17 Jeff Gordon (24) Chevrolet 124.451
18 Kasey Kahne (4) Toyota 123.998
19 Clint Bowyer (33) Chevrolet 123.854
20 Brian Vickers (83) Toyota 123.682
21 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 123.663
22 Mark Martin (5) Chevrolet 123.635
23 Kevin Harvick (29) Chevrolet 123.517
24 Matt Kenseth (17) Ford 123.507
25 Dale Earnhardt Jr. (88) Chevrolet 123.476
26 Casey Mears (13) Toyota 123.455
27 Kurt Busch (22) Dodge 123.436
28 Greg Biffle (16) Ford 123.433
29 Scott Speed (37) Ford 123.379
30 J.J. Yeley (55) Ford 123.283
31 Robby Gordon (7) Dodge 123.176
32 Paul Menard (27) Chevrolet 122.956
33 Michael McDowell (66) Toyota 122.956
34 T.J. Bell (150) Chevrolet 122.929
35 Andrew Ranger (32) Ford 122.373
36 Andy Lally (71) Ford 122.196
37 Mike Skinner (60) Toyota 122.130
38 Ron Fellows (36) Chevrolet 121.993
39 David Reutimann (00) Toyota 121.660
40 Jeff Burton (31) Chevrolet 121.419
41 David Gilliland (34) Ford 120.339
42 Denny Hamlin (11) Toyota -
43 Terry Labonte (38) Ford 119.858
44 Dave Blaney (135) DNQ 121.904
45 Brian Simo (46) DNQ 119.291
46 P.J. Jones (177) DNQ

Rick

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Kurt Busch wins Nationwide race at Watkins Glen

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. (AP) -- Kurt Busch has won the Nationwide Zippo 200 at Watkins Glen International.

Subbing for injured Penske Racing teammate Brad Keselowski, Busch beat Jimmie Johnson by nearly a second on a green-white-checkered finish Saturday. That deprived brother Kyle Busch of his 50th career victory in the series.

Joey Logano was third, followed by Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards.

The race was mostly a battle between the Busch brothers until the second caution of the race flew with two laps remaining in regulation. They took turns leading the entire 85 laps of the race.

Forced to pit with five laps to go because he was on a different fuel strategy, Kyle Busch had relinquished the lead to his brother, and Kurt, who started from pole, was able to hold on.

Rick

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Saturday, August 13, 2011

Dodge Motorsports PR

Zippo 200

NASCAR Nationwide Series Post-Race Quotes

KURT BUSCH (No. 22 Ruby Tuesday/Discount Tire Dodge Challenger R/T) Race Winner CAN YOU TAKE US THROUGH THE RACE AND WHAT IT FELT LIKE TO BE IN THE NATIONWIDE SERIES CAR AGAIN? “This was a lot of fun to come out here and fill in for (Brad) Keselowski and have Todd Gordon here running the show. To have a championship-caliber car available and to jump into it, it’s an opportunity. I’m glad that today turned out the way that it did and to reach its full potential and that’s to sit on the pole, lead some laps and be in position to win and bring the victory on home. Penske Racing puts a lot of effort into their Cup cars and now I know why they continue this Nationwide program. It provides a great stage for a guy like Todd Gordon and those crew guys to develop and work their way up to the Cup Series. I’m just really proud of the team and the effort put forth today to bring it home to victory lane and to run up front with my little brother and Carl Edwards. Those two guys are the winningest guys in Nationwide, along with Mark Martin. To race with those guys, I can see why they are tough to beat. For us to come out on top with our one shot at it, we needed to take all the advantage that we could with it and I did. It was a great day.”

WAS YOUR PLAN AT THE END OF THE RACE TO RUN KYLE HARD TO RUN HIM OUT OF FUEL? “We were running hard together. It wasn’t to force him to run out fuel, I wanted to race him as fair and square as I could. They had a problem in the pits and we knew that they were short. I had the confidence in Todd (Gordon) that we were good on fuel, so we were going to apply pressure and it wasn’t that we were hanging on and waiting. It seemed like I could catch him in traffic and I could get to his back bumper, but I couldn’t do anything (pass him). That was still with 10 laps to go. With five to go. I was really going to pour it on, but those guys didn’t have enough fuel.”

DOES THIS WIN MAKE YOU TEMPTED TO RACE ON SATURDAY MORE OFTEN? “What it did to me after being gone for four years was that it shows the level of commitment that the guys that run both series have to give. With time away from the Cup car, the focus of balancing two setups and running all the laps, yesterday I was in the car from noon to six o’clock. It makes for a longer day and eats up your time where I felt that I was off just a little bit on the Cup side. Tonight will be an opportunity to go back over those notes and be as focused as we can on Sunday.”

IT CAME DOWN TO A GREEN-WHITE CHECKERED FLAG; TAKE US THROUGH THE RESTART? “I knew that it was going to be a good finish. On the restart at the end, all heck could have broken loose. I actually drove it in a little too deep; that right-front tire was cold. I just have to thank this crew for allowing me to step in, they were starting to call me “Buschlowski” because I was wearing Brad’s fire suit. Todd Gordon (crew chief) did an excellent job. This was a fast Dodge Challenger. I’m proud to drive it. Thanks to Ruby Tuesday, Discount Tire and Shell and Pennzoil for allowing me to come over here and have fun. It’s really neat to come over here and sit on the pole and win.”

TODD GORDON (crew chief, No. 22 Ruby Tuesday/Discount Tire Dodge Challenger R/T) “A great win for the Ruby Tuesday/Discount Tire Dodge Challenger. Kurt ran a great race. It got a little hairy with fuel mileage those last few laps. I thought that we were good for at least one green-white-checkered flag. The car was fast. We didn’t have to make too many changes. Once we saw the No. 18 car pit for fuel, I thought that we were in good shape.”

WHEN DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU WERE GOING TO BE PAIRED UP WITH KURT? “It was Wednesday morning when I got the call that Kurt was going to be in the car because Brad was really holding on to see how he would feel. Obviously it’s a pleasure to get somebody of this caliber.

“The race car was decent. I felt like we were better on the back-half of the run and the race played out how we looked at it. We pitted on lap 24 and waited to see where that went from there.

“We could go (lap) 24 to 54 and a caution there in the middle put us to (lap) 55 and that gave us a lap on the rest of them. I can’t say that I wasn’t a little stressed on fuel mileage. With the contours here and the down hills we needed to make sure that the fuel cell picked up. We knew that we had enough to make it, we just wanted to make sure that we picked it all up.”

YOU’VE WORKED WITH A FEW DRIVERS THIS YEAR. WHAT CHALLENGES HAS THAT PRESENTED FOR YOU? “Probably the biggest challenge that I had with the driver allotment that we’ve had this year was getting to work with Jacques Villeneuve because he’s not part of our Penske group. There’s a lot of communication. I’d say that’s one of the things that we do very well. The crew chiefs and engineers within Penske, no matter what series we’re in, we’re all kind of together. We know what’s going on. We have race notes from each other. We look through them every weekend and see where we are. I had looked and seen what Steve’s (Addington) setup was for Kurt’s Cup car. We were pretty close. I kind of had a direction with rear springs because there was something different there. From Sam Hornish Jr. to Parker Kligerman to Kurt, they’re there. They’re in the shop. I’ve seen them. I’ve talked to them. My road engineer at the beginning of the year is now one of his road engineers on the Cup program. I went to him (Jonathon Hasler) and asked what’s he like, what he wants? And we got some ideas to start with. It’s been very fluent and it speaks to the level of what we have at Penske Racing.”

BRAD KESELOWSKI (No. 22 Ruby Tuesday/Discount Tire Dodge Challenger R/T) “This is great. This deal with Kurt didn’t come together until Tuesday. We left our driver debrief and talked about the Cup weekend at Pocono, I walked up to Kurt and said, ‘Hey Kurt, I think it would be cool if you drove my car this weekend. I just don’t think that I can pull it off.’ He was like a kid in a candy store. His face lit up and I knew that he wanted to drive this car. I knew how bad he wanted to win and I’m glad to see his hard work and passion for the team pay off with a victory.”

HOW BIG OF A WIN IS THIS FOR YOUR TEAM GUYS? “It’s great for them. We’ve had four championship drivers in that car over a four week span with Sam Hornish Jr., Jacques Villeneuve, Kurt, and myself. It’s going to be really cool to watch Jacques next week in Montreal.”

Rick

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Exclamation Sprint Cup race postponed

NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen postponed

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. (AP)—The Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen International has been postponed until Monday.

Steady rain that began just when the race was scheduled to start Sunday afternoon did not abate in time for track crews to dry the 2.45-mile racing surface.

The race is now scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. ESPN Monday, but rain also is in the forecast in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York.

Last week’s race at Pocono had a 1 hour, 40-minute rain delay, but NASCAR was able to complete the 500-mile event.

The 2009 Watkins Glen Cup race won by Tony Stewart also was postponed a day after the track was hit by a string of thunderstorms.

Set your DVRs (manual setting?)

Rick

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
NASCAR Results
Last Updated: Monday, Aug 15, 2011 4:10 pm, EDT

Order Driver (No.) Car Pts/Bonus Laps Laps Led Winnings Lap Progress

1 Marcos Ambrose (9) Ford 47/4 92 21 $217,741 Chart
2 Brad Keselowski (2) Dodge 43/1 92 2 $178,158 Chart
3 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 43/2 92 49 $184,541 Chart
4 Martin Truex Jr. (56) Toyota 40/0 92 0 $120,350 Chart
5 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 39/0 92 0 $106,450 Chart
6 Kevin Harvick (29) Chevrolet 38/0 92 0 $139,386 Chart
7 Juan Pablo Montoya (42) Chevrolet 38/1 92 4 $120,708 Chart
8 A J Allmendinger (43) Ford 37/1 92 8 $117,186 Chart
9 Jeff Burton (31) Chevrolet 35/0 92 0 $92,675 Chart
10 Jimmie Johnson (48) Chevrolet 35/1 92 1 $127,286 Chart
11 Clint Bowyer (33) Chevrolet 34/1 92 1 $116,533 Chart
12 Carl Edwards (99) Ford 32/0 92 0 $117,216 Chart
13 Jeff Gordon (24) Chevrolet 32/1 92 6 $110,886 Chart
14 Matt Kenseth (17) Ford 30/0 92 0 $109,286 Chart
15 Dale Earnhardt Jr. (88) Chevrolet 29/0 92 0 $78,825 Chart
16 Ryan Newman (39) Chevrolet 28/0 92 0 $109,050 Chart
17 Jamie McMurray (1) Chevrolet 27/0 92 0 $104,589 Chart
18 Brian Vickers (83) Toyota 26/0 92 0 $96,689 Chart
19 Bobby Labonte (47) Toyota 25/0 92 0 $95,445 Chart
20 Casey Mears (13) Toyota 24/0 92 0 $69,975 Chart
21 Andy Lally (71) Ford 23/0 92 0 $77,950 Chart
22 Boris Said (51) Chevrolet 22/0 92 0 $84,808 Chart
23 Regan Smith (78) Chevrolet 21/0 92 0 $94,120 Chart
24 Robby Gordon (7) Dodge 20/0 92 0 $82,608 Chart
25 Mark Martin (5) Chevrolet 19/0 92 0 $75,275 Chart
26 Kasey Kahne (4) Toyota 18/0 92 0 $86,783 Chart
27 Tony Stewart (14) Chevrolet 17/0 92 0 $109,833 Chart
28 David Ragan (6) Ford 16/0 91 0 $74,600 Chart
29 David Reutimann (00) Toyota 15/0 91 0 $91,483 Chart
30 Ron Fellows (36) Chevrolet 14/0 91 0 $75,472 Chart
31 Greg Biffle (16) Ford 13/0 91 0 $81,625 Chart
32 Paul Menard (27) Chevrolet 12/0 85 0 $71,050 Chart
33 David Gilliland (34) Ford 11/0 79 0 $63,850 Chart
34 Terry Labonte (38) Ford 10/0 78 0 $62,775 Chart
35 Andrew Ranger (32) Ford 9/0 75 0 $62,625 Chart
36 Denny Hamlin (11) Toyota 8/0 65 0 $110,475 Chart
37 T.J. Bell (150) Chevrolet 7/0 58 0 $62,325 Chart
38 Kurt Busch (22) Dodge 6/0 48 0 $106,725 Chart
39 Scott Speed (37) Ford 5/0 45 0 $61,975 Chart
40 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 4/0 12 0 $61,845 Chart
41 Michael McDowell (66) Toyota 3/0 7 0 $61,680 Chart
42 J.J. Yeley (55) Ford 2/0 5 0 $61,555 Chart
43 Mike Skinner (60) Toyota 1/0 4 0 $61,930 Chart

Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro News & Polls > Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in