NASCAR: Aug 07/08 Watkins Glen - Dodge Nitro Forum
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News Find out the latest scoop here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
NASCAR: Aug 07/08 Watkins Glen

Watkins Glen International

Records
Date Series Driver Speed
8/13/95 Sprint Cup Race Mark Martin 103.00
8/10/03 Sprint Cup Qualifying Jeff Gordon 124.580
8/11/07 Nationwide Race Kevin Harvick 91.00
8/8/09 Nationwide Qualifying Kevin Harvick 121.998

Sprint Cup Series
Upcoming Race Aug 8 SUNDAY 1:00 ESPN
Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen

Track Facts

Banking/Turns: 11-turn
Distance: 2.45 miles
Shape: 11-turn

Most Cup Wins (since 1975)

* Tony Stewart 5

Sprint Cup
Date Race Name Pole Winner Race Winner Make Purse
8/10/09 Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at The Glen Jimmie Johnson Tony Stewart Chevrolet $4,934,858
8/10/08 Centurion Boats at The Glen Kyle Busch Kyle Busch Toyota $4,895,379
8/12/07 Centurion Boats at The Glen Jeff Gordon Tony Stewart Chevrolet $4,800,931
8/13/06 AMD at The Glen Kurt Busch Kevin Harvick Chevrolet $4,705,975

================================================== =======

Nationwide Series

Zippo 200 at The Glen

* What: Race 22 of 35 on Nationwide circuit
* Where: Watkins Glen International, Watkins Glen, NY
* When: August 7, 2010 Saturday 2:18 pm EDT ESPN
* Laps: 82
* Track Length: 2.45 miles
* Race Length: 201.00 miles

Records
Date Series Driver Speed
8/13/95 Sprint Cup Race Mark Martin 103.00
8/10/03 Sprint Cup Qualifying Jeff Gordon 124.580
8/11/07 Nationwide Race Kevin Harvick 91.00
8/8/09 Nationwide Qualifying Kevin Harvick 121.998

Nationwide Series
Upcoming Race Aug 7
Zippo 200 at The Glen

Track Facts

Banking/Turns: 11-turn
Distance: 2.45 miles
Shape: 11-turn

Nationwide
Date Race Name Pole Winner Race Winner Make Purse
8/8/09 Zippo 200 at The Glen Kevin Harvick Marcos Ambrose Toyota $1,177,126
8/9/08 Zippo 200 Dario Franchitti Marcos Ambrose Ford $1,181,288
8/11/07 Zippo 200 at The Glen Kurt Busch Kevin Harvick Chevrolet $1,144,803
8/12/06 Zippo 200 Kurt Busch Kurt Busch Dodge $1,126,020

-

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Dodge Motorsports NSCS Race Advance - Watkins Glen International

WATKINS GLEN, NY , Aug 3, 2010 - For Immediate Release
Dodge Motorsports NSCS Race Advance
Sunday, Aug. 8, 2010

THE DODGE BOYS

• Dodge has 207 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series victories.
• Dodge’s most recent win came at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Kurt Busch led 252 of 400 laps en route to victory in the Coca-Cola 600.
• Dodge has claimed two Sprint Cup victories in 2010.
• Dodge teams have posted 47 wins since the manufacturer’s return to NASCAR’s premier series in 2001 after being out of the sport since 1977.
• Dodge has posted wins each season since it’s return in 2001 including seven wins twice (2002 and 2006).

DODGE AT WATKINS GLEN
• Kurt Busch will make his 350th career Sprint Cup start at Watkins Glen International. He started on the outside pole at last year’s event and earned a career-best finish of seventh at the seven-turn road course.
• Dodge is seeking its first win on the 2.45-mile road course at The Glen.
• Dodge started 1-2 at the 2006 Sprint Cup race at WGI. Busch earned his sixth-career pole, led 38 laps and finished 19th.
• Dodge’s Brad Keselowski will be making his first-career Sprint Cup start at Watkins Glen International this weekend. His only other road course start in the Sprint Cup Series came earlier this year at Infineon Raceway.

DID YOU KNOW?
• Dodge’s Kurt Busch scored his first DNF of the season last weekend at Pocono. Busch finished 33rd. In 21 starts this season, Busch has two wins and two poles along with seven top-five and 12 top-10 finishes. In 19 career road course starts, Busch has three top-five and six top-10 finishes.
• Busch has finished 11th or better in the last three races at The Glen.
• Sam Hornish Jr. jumped up two positions in the NSCS driver standings after finishing 11th at Pocono. He’s currently 27th. Hornish has led 50 laps this season in Sprint Cup competition.

WATKINS GLEN FAST FACTS
• Dodge’s Kurt Busch has an average finish of 19.8 at Watkins Glen. Busch is one of 14 drivers that has led 50 or more laps at WGI. He has led 62.
• The last nine Watkins Glen races have been won from top-15 starting positions.
• Watkins Glen became a regular stop on the Sprint Cup schedule in 1986. Three Cup races had been run at the track previously – 1957, 1964 and 1965.

KURT BUSCH – INSIDE THE CHASE NUMBERS
• Busch is currently seventh in the Sprint Cup standings, 358 points out of first and 192 ahead of 13th (Mark Martin).
• In the six races which will set the field for the 10-race Chase for the Championship, Busch posted top-10 finishes in four of those events last year.
• Busch has 11 wins at four of the five tracks hosting events leading up to the 10-race Chase: Michigan – 2, Bristol – 5, Atlanta –3, Richmond – 1.

• First Dodge NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Win: Lee Petty, 2/1/53, West Palm, Fla., 100 miles, .5-mile track.
• Last Dodge NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Win at a Road Course: Kasey Kahne, Infineon Raceway, 6/21/09, 71.012 mph average speed.

ENGINEERING TALK
"And now for something completely different. The road race at Watkins Glen is truly a unique challenge for the teams and drivers alike. Handling is trumped by tire management that is trumped by fuel economy. It takes a perfect race to get the win at Watkins Glen and that's why a win here is so coveted. Safety improvements made to the track this year after the huge crashes (at Watkins Glen) last year will go a long way in giving teams and drivers the confidence to be able to concentrate only on the race”
Howard Comstock, Dodge Motorsports Engineering

DODGE DRIVER QUOTES
“I still think that I can improve on the road course. Right now, the way that the game has changed, everybody is really competitive on road courses. You have to be on your game. You have to show up and make sure that you don’t lose a lot of points. It just seems like the fuel mileage is such a big, big issue when you get to the road courses. You race the races from backwards to front on when you have to pit for the final time. You stretch your fuel for as long as you can go and that’s what we have to work on this time around.”
Kurt Busch, No. 2 Miller Lite Vortex Dodge Charger

“Most of the time you go to the road courses and you think you are going slower and the corner speeds are slower, so it should be safer. A lot of times, the tracks don't get those types of wrecks and they don't think something like getting bounced off the tire wall and back onto track could happen. It happened twice last year and it was unfortunate that we were beside Kasey (Kahne) when he got loose and bounced us into the tire wall and back into traffic. It just shows how safe these cars are and Watkins Glen did a lot of work since then to move those walls back and make things safer. At tracks where you only race once a year, like road courses, it's hard to think of all the scenarios that might happen, but it's good that they try to make things better when they do."

“In NASCAR, there's no such thing as a ‘throw away’ race, especially with the 10-point bonus for winning races as we approach the championship chase. The guys in the top 12 are definitely looking to win at Watkins Glen because those 10 points could mean everything in the world in the end. Most of the drivers are in better shape and more focused on road courses because every race counts. The ‘road course ringers’ who come over are having a hard time finishing in the top-10 now. It just goes to show how important it is to everybody to run well at a road course.”
Sam Hornish Jr. No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger

“Watkins Glen is more of a true road course as opposed to Infineon Raceway, which races more like a street course. The key difference is speed. At Watkins Glen there are more high-speed corners, where Infineon has slower corners that are more stop and go.”
Travis Geisler, crew chief, No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger

DODGE BOYS SPRINT CUP 2010 BEST

• Kurt Busch
Start – Pole - Las Vegas
Finish – Win - Atlanta, Charlotte 1

• Brad Keselowski
Start – Sixth - Richmond
Finish – 12th - Martinsville, Darlington

• Sam Hornish Jr.
Start – Second - Texas,
Finish – 11th - Pocono

• Laps Led (Race) Kurt Busch – 278 - Bristol

• Laps Led (Total) Kurt Busch – 807

Rick

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Dodge Motorsports NNS Race Advance - Zippo 200 - Watkins Glen International

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. , Aug 4, 2010 - For Immediate Release
Dodge Motorsports NNS Race Advance
Zippo 200 at The Glen
Saturday, August 7, 2010

Dodge in 2010 NASCAR Nationwide Series
With 21 races completed in the 2010 season, Penske Racing’s two NASCAR Nationwide Series entries (Brad Keselowski and Justin Allgaier) have combined for five poles, four wins along with 20 top-five and 30 top-10 finishes. The two Penske Dodges have completed 7,882 of 7,910 laps and have been atop the leaderboard for 897 laps.

JUSTIN ALLGAIER – No. 12 Verizon Wireless Dodge
Highlights:

• Allgaier earned his first NASCAR Nationwide Series win this year at Bristol Motor Speedway, leading a 1-2 finish for Penske Racing and Dodge.
• Allgaier ranks fourth in the Nationwide Series point standings heading into this weekend’s event at Watkins Glen International. He trails current point-leader and Penske Racing teammate Brad Keselowski by 516 points,
• Allgaier’s fourth-place position in the point standings is best among full-time, Nationwide Series-only drivers. Allgaier leads fellow Nationwide-only driver Steve Wallace, currently ranked seventh, by 345 points.
• In addition to his win at Bristol, Allgaier has one pole along with five top-five and 12 top-10 finishes.

BRAD KESELOWSKI – No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge
Highlights:

• After 21 races, Keselowski currently lead the Nationwide Series standings by 231 points over Carl Edwards. Keselowski has led the standings since his win at Talladega in April.
• In seven career road course starts in the Nationwide Series, Keselowski has two top-five and five top-10 finishes. His career-best road course finish of fourth came at Road America in June.
• Keselowski earned back-to-back wins at Talladega and Richmond. He leads the Nationwide Series in top fives (15), top 10s (18) and laps completed (3,954).
• Keselowski has a NASCAR record 88 consecutive Nationwide Series races without a DNF (Did Not Finish).

• Chad Walter, crew chief of the No. 12 Verizon Dodge, hails from Albion, N.Y. and Paul Wolfe, crew chief of the No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Charger from Milford, N.Y.
• Brad Keselowski will be using the same chassis that he raced at Road America earlier this year.
• In the 16 Nationwide races at the seven-turn, 2.45-mile road course, eight winners have come from a front-row starting spot including Kurt Busch from the pole in 2006.

DODGE NATIONWIDE QUOTES
“Watkins Glen is a track that I’ve really enjoyed since the first time I laid eyes on it. It’s a very cool track with a lot of history behind it. It’s one of the tracks that the oval drivers seem to run well at, as opposed to some of the other more technical road courses. It certainly has its technical spots, but it’s more high speed and I think that suits the oval guys a little better. We struggled in this race last year, but it was my first road race in a Nationwide car, so I didn’t really know what to expect. Heading into this race, I feel like I’ve got a much better understanding of road racing, and how to run with the best of them.”
Justin Allgaier, No. 12 Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger

“Watkins Glen is a track that I picked up on fairly quickly from the first time I raced there. It’s a ‘speedway-type’ road course and that fits my driving style well. The Nationwide cars are a blast to drive at the Glen because they go through the corners so much faster than the Cup cars. You have to back up your braking points in the Cup car, but you can really race hard into the corners in the Nationwide car. I’ve been close to winning a road course race a couple of times in my career and I’m confident that we will have a shot at it this weekend.”
Brad Keselowski, No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Charger

Rick

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - Kurt Busch Open Interview - Watkins Glen

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. , Aug 6, 2010 - Friday, August 6, 2010

Watkins Glen International Dodge Motorsports PR
Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at the Glen
Kurt Busch Open Interview

KURT BUSCH (No. 2 Miller Lite/Vortex Dodge Charger)
TALK ABOUT YOUR OUTLOOK HEADING INTO SUNDAY’S RACE. “We’re real excited about The Glen and coming back to a road course where we’ve felt comfortable over the years, but just quite haven’t posted solid results. Sitting on the pole back in 2006 helped Penske Racing understand I was going to be alright on road courses and really enjoy it when we go out to Sonoma and here at Watkins Glen. We look forward to trying to make our car best we can in this afternoon’s late practice, do a couple of qualifying runs, but primarily work on doing some longer runs to see how the car handles. Last year, we had a fairly decent strategy. It just didn’t unfold in our favor with fuel mileage we didn’t have. This year, our engine department has really worked on our fuel mileage to allow us to stay out there as long as we can. Right now, the tires aren’t wearing out at all with the cooler temperatures. We’ll have warmer temperatures on Sunday. Hopefully the track will stay rubbered in and there won’t be any rain delays throughout the weekend. It’s looking pretty promising for us with our Miller Lite Dodge. We’ll take it from there and try to get a nice solid top five or even go for a win because the win would be an extra 10 bonus points that would could take with us to the Chase.”

ARE THINGS OK BETWEEN YOU AND JIMMIE JOHNSON NOW? “Yeah, I know the he said, she said and all that good stuff. I asked him when I was walking in here do I need a dust pan and a broom to clean up your mess? I’ve been wrecked by (Jimmie) Johnson quite a bit in the last couple season, the last 13 months and whether it was racing or just a small bump that he didn’t intend to do what he did. He didn’t intentionally try and wreck us at Pocono, but it ended up that way. There might be some of that coming from my side of it. I may not intentionally try to wreck him, but we’ve got a high car count of wrecked cars over at our shop and those guys on the 48, and even Jeff Gordon, with what he did to us at Sonoma, it’s been definitely a one-way street right now.”

WHAT IS YOUR REACTION TO YOUR BROTHER KYLE SAYING THAT HE RESPECTS YOU MOST OF ALL ROAD COURSE RACERS AND THAT YOU DON’T GET THE CREDIT THAT YOU DESERVE? “That’s nice of Kyle. He’s actually won here and won at Sonoma. He’s done really well with his feel in the car for a road course. That’s nice of him to say that. I can list guys like Tony Stewart, who has finished first or second here the last how many years in a row? Jeff Gordon has the most wins at road course. Guys like Tim Richmond would step up and race hard at places like Riverside. Rusty Wallace of course. There’s a big group of guys that have always stepped up at road courses, but as of late, everybody steps up at these road course races. You can’t have a weak spot in your program. What I’ve noticed is that you have extra names that really jump in the mix that get excited about turning left and right. Guys like Marcos Ambrose, Robby Gordon, those guys will definitely be amped up for this weekend and then you have (Tony) Stewart and (Jeff) Gordon who haven’t won this year. Lots of big names at road courses and mine (name) just kind of fizzles in around ninth or 10th or 12th, depending on who’s at road courses. I’ve always taken a lot of pride in running hard at these types of tracks.”

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU PREFER TO FOCUS IN ON JUST THE RACING SIDE OF STUFF AND NOT GET INTO THE PEOPLE MAGAZINE TYPE OF NEWS. IS THERE ROOM FOR THE PERSONALITY TYPE OF BUSINESS IN THE SPORT? “Really? We’re race car drivers. The guys at Hendrick are pretty boys and they get on People Magazine covers and that’s their job. My job is to go out and race cars and that’s what I focus on. I like to race the cars and race them hard, race them smart and I feel like that if what happened last week, which we’ll talk about racing because that’s what we should be talking about, if the roles we’re reversed and the 2 car wrecked the 48, I would have been hung. I would have been lynched at the gates for wrecking a four-time champion. But if the roles really were reversed, I wouldn’t have bumped the 48 in that fashion and both of us would have continued on and ended up with good results.”

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BE A GOOD RACER AT WATKINS GLEN? “The balance at any road course, the amount of braking you have and not over-stepping what the car is able to do for deceleration. You’ve got to be able to toss it into the corners and slide it just right and not overheat your tires while you’re doing that. If you can find a good pace that’s at 95 percent of the cars ability, then you’re going to be tough to beat because now you can amp it up that extra five percent at the end when it really counts.”

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON MARCOS AMBROSE AND TONY STEWART ON ROAD COURSES? “Marcos is one of the top names that come to mind. Just his background in supercars in Australia, those guys when you seem them on TV and see how close they are together and out of control they are while they’re doing it, they definitely have it science out as a fine art. To come out of that background, it makes you very competitive in our style of cars in road course. With Tony Stewart’s success, the guy’s amazing here at Watkins Glen. Just finding the right balance of speed versus handling and also the fuel-mileage game because you really have to have that worked out because a lot of times, you’ll pit not knowing if you can make it to the end and you have to count on yellows with your fuel mileage to make it.”

WILL YOU AND JIMMIE TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM EACH OTHER? “We’ll both try and put it behind us. It’s tough for me to put it behind me because I look at the wrecked race cars I have at the shop where he goes to his shop and all those cars are pretty and clean. Yeah, it’s behind us. In the end, it really doesn’t matter. We feel like we can lock ourselves into the Chase the next few weeks, then the points get reset and I’ll only be thirty points behind him and those guys are the leaders, him and the 11 car. A few weeks from now, we’ll be 30 points behind the championship lead and that’s really where the focus needs to be.”

DOES IT MAKE IT EASIER THAT YOU’RE NOT THE GUY BEHIND THE WRECKED RACE CARS? “We’re struggling a little bit with getting cars turned around quick enough with some of the wrecked cars we’re bringing back to the shop. I feel bad for all the guys. At the same time, it’s tough when they’re texting me, ‘Hey man, we need to go wreck that guy. We need to go put him on his lid’ and have to manage everything. We have the crew guys, we have our sponsors, and we have my close friends that all have the opinions. Ultimately, it comes down to the drivers down on the track knowing when someone crosses the line or not. Johnson and I are fine. It’s tough when we have three against nothing right now.”

HOW MUCH HAVE YOU WORKED TO CHANGE YOUR IMAGE SINCE BEING AT PENSKE RACING? “I think that it’s been a great transition for me working with Roger (Penske) and everybody over at Penske Racing. Roger is a magician when it comes down to making things the right way. He really helped me mature as a driver on and off the track. If I even thought that I had a shot at jumping in that 5 car, a pretty boy named Kasey Kahne got picked over me.”

Rick

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
NASCAR Qualifying

Last Updated: Saturday, Aug 7, 2010 2:21 pm, EDT

Order Driver (No.) Car Qualifying Speed
1 Carl Edwards (99) Ford 124.432
2 Jamie McMurray (1) Chevrolet 123.814
3 Juan Pablo Montoya (42) Chevrolet 123.699
4 A J Allmendinger (43) Ford 123.619
5 Kurt Busch (2) Dodge 123.524
6 Tony Stewart (14) Chevrolet 123.429
7 Greg Biffle (16) Ford 123.410
8 Scott Speed (82) Toyota 123.369
9 Jimmie Johnson (48) Chevrolet 123.326
10 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 123.234
11 Marcos Ambrose (47) Toyota 123.165
12 Sam Hornish Jr. (77) Dodge 123.102
13 Boris Said (83) Toyota 123.078
14 Denny Hamlin (11) Toyota 122.937
15 Robby Gordon (7) Toyota 122.850
16 Jeff Gordon (24) Chevrolet 122.783
17 Patrick Carpentier (26) Ford 122.635
18 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 122.582
19 Ryan Newman (39) Chevrolet 122.560
20 Kevin Harvick (29) Chevrolet 122.517
21 Ron Fellows (36) Chevrolet 122.339
22 Jeff Burton (31) Chevrolet 122.308
23 Paul Menard (98) Ford 122.286
24 Mark Martin (5) Chevrolet 122.210
25 Martin Truex Jr. (56) Toyota 121.950
26 Michael McDowell (55) Toyota 121.801
27 Regan Smith (78) Chevrolet 121.791
28 Max Papis (13) Toyota 121.721
29 Bobby Labonte (09) Chevrolet 121.613
30 David Reutimann (00) Toyota 121.528
31 Matt Kenseth (17) Ford 121.406
32 Brad Keselowski (12) Dodge 121.404
33 Andy Lally (71) Chevrolet 121.339
34 Clint Bowyer (33) Chevrolet 121.274
35 David Ragan (6) Ford 121.013
36 Kasey Kahne (9) Ford 120.599
37 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 120.540
38 Elliott Sadler (19) Ford 120.489
39 P.J. Jones (207) Toyota 120.260
40 Dale Earnhardt Jr. (88) Chevrolet 120.170
41 Travis Kvapil (37) Ford 118.987
42 Kevin Conway (34) Ford 118.292
43 David Gilliland (38) Ford 120.213
44 J.J. Yeley (46) DNQ 119.389
45 Dave Blaney (66) DNQ 119.258
46 Tony Ave (235) DNQ 119.089

Rick

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - Final Qualifying - Watkins Glen

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. , Aug 7, 2010 - KURT BUSCH (No. Miller Lite “Vortex” Dodge Charger) Qualified 5th
“We’ve been in the top five through the practice sessions and we might end up there after this qualifying session. Just a little bit on the loose side most of the weekend. We’re trying to get the rear to be stable to where I can yank on the wheel turning down in and not have the rear slide out underneath us. Overall, it was a decent lap for us. It’s right where I thought we could be. We’re trying to fight that little bit of looseness. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, so we definitely need to keep track of that looseness with the rear end.”

SAM HORNISH JR. (No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger) Qualified 12th
“Not too bad. We knew we were going to give up a little bit with the Mobil 1 Dodge with the setup we had. What we had for a race setup the last couple of years, we could run a couple of good laps, but killed the tires. This year, we brought something back that was a little different. Hopefully, we can keep the tires on the car a little bit better. We knew it was going to be a little slower for single-lap speed. We’re 12th right now and I don’t think there are a lot of guys that can beat that time. It’s not a bad day for sure. We’re looking forward to tomorrow. I’ve always been quick here. We just need to get a good clean finish and watch out for all the wrecks and stuff like that.”

BRAD KESELOWSKI (No. 12 Penske Racing Dodge Charger) Qualified 32nd
“Missed it just a little bit today. Other than missing it just a little bit on the inner-loop, it was a pretty good lap. Qualifying doesn’t really make that much difference for us because we had engine trouble (engine change between Friday practice sessions; Keselowski will drop to the back of the field for the start of the race). The last thing we wanted to do was tear up the car. I’m feeling more comfortable in the car. You just get better the more you run in this deal.”

Rick

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NNS Final Qualifying - Watkins Glen
August 7, 2010 , WATKINS GLEN, N.Y.

BRAD KESELOWSKI (No. 22 Ruby Tuesday/Discount Tire Dodge Charger) Qualified 8th
"It’s a solid effort for me on a road course. It’s a top-10 starting spot. That’s decent and we’ll race them hard later today.

WHAT ARE THE MAJOR DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SPRINT CUP AND NATIONWIDE CARS AT A ROAD COURSE? “There are huge differences between Sprint Cup and Nationwide cars. First, the Cup car makes about 200 more horsepower. Another difference is the Nationwide car has a much lower center of gravity and smaller wheel base. Between those two, you can carry a lot more corner speed with a Nationwide car and more straightaway speed with a Cup car.”

JUSTIN ALLGAIER (No. 12 Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger) Qualified 20th
"From where we were at yesterday, that’s a considerable gain, almost a second. The Verizon Dodge guys did a great job. Obviously, road racing isn’t my strong point. A decent lap, if we could have gone earlier we could have gone faster. It’s been a good day for us so far. Hopefully, in the race, we can bring this thing home in one piece and get a good finish.

MENTION A ROAD COURSE AND THE ASSUMPTION IS ALL ROAD COURSES ARE ALIKE. IS THAT THE CASE? “I’ll be honest with you, there aren’t two road courses that I’ve ever been to that are even close. This race track has a lot of characteristics of its own. One of the biggest things I like about this track is the high speeds coupled with some pretty technical corners. It’s a fun place. The biggest thing I have to do is not scrub off any speed. At Road America, the corners are slow enough you can afford to scrub off a little bit of time. Unfortunately, you can’t do that here. Today, we have to make sure we stay within ourselves completely, have good pit strategy and get in some good laps. If we can do that, we can have a good finish.”

Rick

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
NASCAR Results

Last Updated: Saturday, Aug 7, 2010 6:14 pm, EDT
Zippo 200 at The Glen

Order Driver (No.) Car Pts/Bonus Laps Laps Led Winnings Lap Progress
1 Marcos Ambrose (147) Toyota 195/10 82 60 $50,595 Chart
2 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 175/5 82 8 $29,050 Chart
3 Kevin Harvick (33) Chevrolet 165/0 82 0 $25,150 Chart
4 Brad Keselowski (22) Dodge 160/0 82 0 $19,075 Chart
5 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 160/5 82 14 $18,850 Chart
6 Ron Fellows (88) Chevrolet 150/0 82 0 $22,518 Chart
7 Nelson Piquet (27) Ford 146/0 82 0 $22,218 Chart
8 Jacques Villeneuve (32) Toyota 142/0 82 0 $23,093 Chart
9 Steve Wallace (66) Toyota 138/0 82 0 $20,918 Chart
10 Michael McDowell (81) Dodge 134/0 82 0 $15,125 Chart
11 J.R. Fitzpatrick (7) Chevrolet 130/0 82 0 $20,568 Chart
12 Tayler Malsam (10) Toyota 127/0 82 0 $20,293 Chart
13 Brian Scott (11) Toyota 124/0 82 0 $23,793 Chart
14 Mike Bliss (40) Chevrolet 121/0 82 0 $20,093 Chart
15 Tony Ave (35) Chevrolet 118/0 82 0 $20,868 Chart
16 Alex Kennedy (23) Chevrolet 115/0 82 0 $19,968 Chart
17 Paul Menard (98) Ford 112/0 82 0 $13,950 Chart
18 Mike Wallace (01) Chevrolet 109/0 82 0 $20,243 Chart
19 Michael Annett (15) Toyota 106/0 82 0 $19,768 Chart
20 Kyle Kelley (159) Chevrolet 103/0 82 0 $14,600 Chart
21 Kenny Wallace (28) Chevrolet 100/0 81 0 $19,668 Chart
22 Boris Said (09) Ford 97/0 81 0 $19,618 Chart
23 Joe Nemechek (87) Chevrolet 94/0 81 0 $19,943 Chart
24 Mark Green (70) Chevrolet 91/0 80 0 $19,443 Chart
25 Ryan Newman (1) Chevrolet 88/0 79 0 $13,075 Chart
26 Colin Braun (16) Ford 85/0 78 0 $19,648 Chart
27 Brian Keselowski (26) Dodge 82/0 78 0 $13,225 Chart
28 Tony Raines (34) Chevrolet 79/0 60 0 $19,223 Chart
29 Trevor Bayne (99) Toyota 76/0 60 0 $19,188 Chart
30 Brendan Gaughan (62) Toyota 73/0 59 0 $19,453 Chart
31 Eric McClure (24) Ford 70/0 53 0 $12,625 Chart
32 Morgan Shepherd (21) Chevrolet 67/0 44 0 $19,033 Chart
33 Carl Edwards (60) Ford 64/0 25 0 $12,530 Chart
34 Justin Allgaier (12) Dodge 61/0 25 0 $18,938 Chart
35 Jason Leffler (38) Toyota 58/0 23 0 $18,903 Chart
36 Billy Johnson (6) Ford 55/0 23 0 $18,868 Chart
37 Victor Gonzalez Jr. (05) Chevrolet 52/0 20 0 $18,828 Chart
38 Joey Scarallo (52) Ford 49/0 9 0 $12,305 Chart
39 Chase Miller (61) Ford 46/0 8 0 $12,270 Chart
40 Johnny Chapman (89) Chevrolet 43/0 3 0 $12,135 Chart
41 Dan Brode (92) Dodge 40/0 2 0 $12,100 Chart
42 Kevin Hamlin (136) Chevrolet 37/0 1 0 $12,060 Chart
43 Matthew Carter (182) Dodge 34/0 1 0 $11,991 Chart

Rick

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NNS Race Final - Watkins Glen

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. , Aug 7, 2010 - BRAD KESELOWSKI (No. 22 Ruby Tuesday/Discount Tire Dodge Charger) Finished 4th
“We had an awesome car today. We just ran a smart race. We knew that we could run in the top five when it counted there at the end. We probably had a second-place Discount Tire/Ruby Tuesday Dodge. I just couldn’t quite get by the 20 and, trying to make that pass, lost a spot to the 33, but still proud of a solid top-five on a road course, a major accomplishment for me. I was really aware of a lot of stuff going on today and it turned out we gained a lot of points at a place I thought we could lose a lot.

DID YOU THINK ABOUT POINTS AT ANY TIME DURING THE RACE? “Absolutely. Road courses aren’t really my strongest suit. I had a shot at probably running second, but had to be careful and not throw away what was going to be a great day. We had an awesome car, definitely at least a second-place car today, but you have to look at the big picture too.

DID YOU LEARN ANYTHING TODAY THAT CAN HELP YOU TOMORROW IN THE SPRINT CUP RACE? “Learned so much today. I’m really glad I get to run these Nationwide cars. We’re having good runs with our Discount Tire/Ruby Tuesday Dodges and learned a lot for tomorrow.”

PAUL WOLFE (Crew Chief, No. 22 Ruby Tuesday/Discount Tire Dodge Charger)
“It was a solid effort for us, a good weekend. We had a fast car off the truck. We worked on some brake stuff; all the guys worked really hard on it. We made gains there and had something that could run top five all day. I feel like we were probably a second-place car at the end, but Brad being a little conservative, there was no sense in pushing issues with the 60 out and ahead of the 18, the guys we’re racing against for the championship. It was a good day. To run top five at both road courses is a solid effort. If we had to pick out some races on the schedule that we thought we probably wouldn’t have a chance to run top five, these would probably be the races (two road courses). To be able to come out here and do it just shows how good Brad is and how strong this team is.”

JUSTIN ALLGAIER (No. 12 Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger) Finished 34th
"I saw the 38 get out of shape coming out of (Turn) 1. I knew that he was going to probably be more than I wanted to see. Unfortunately, he came back across the race track. It's just a shame for these Verizon Dodge guys because I felt like our pit strategy was right on par with where we needed to be and the car was running really well. We'll just have to see what we can get fixed and try to get back out there.”

TAKE US THROUGH THE ACCIDENT? “Unfortunately, there was nowhere to go. It's so tight right there going into (Turn) 2 that you're just at the mercy of everybody else making sure that nobody gets bottled up and blocks the race track. That’s what happened and we ended up paying the price for it."

Rick

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
NASCAR Results

Last Updated: Sunday, Aug 8, 2010 4:47 pm, EDT

Order Driver (No.) Car Pts/Bonus Laps Laps Led Winnings Lap Progress
1 Juan Pablo Montoya (42) Chevrolet 195/10 90 74 $247,306 Chart
2 Kurt Busch (2) Dodge 170/0 90 0 $185,323 Chart
3 Marcos Ambrose (47) Toyota 170/5 90 8 $161,223 Chart
4 A J Allmendinger (43) Ford 160/0 90 0 $144,701 Chart
5 Carl Edwards (99) Ford 155/0 90 0 $140,023 Chart
6 Jamie McMurray (1) Chevrolet 155/5 90 5 $124,429 Chart
7 Tony Stewart (14) Chevrolet 146/0 90 0 $118,548 Chart
8 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 142/0 90 0 $127,956 Chart
9 Jeff Burton (31) Chevrolet 138/0 90 0 $113,715 Chart
10 Jeff Gordon (24) Chevrolet 134/0 90 0 $120,251 Chart
11 Kevin Harvick (29) Chevrolet 130/0 90 0 $112,851 Chart
12 Ryan Newman (39) Chevrolet 132/5 90 1 $106,704 Chart
13 Matt Kenseth (17) Ford 124/0 90 0 $116,901 Chart
14 Sam Hornish Jr. (77) Dodge 121/0 90 0 $79,225 Chart
15 Martin Truex Jr. (56) Toyota 118/0 90 0 $70,000 Chart
16 Paul Menard (98) Ford 115/0 90 0 $76,975 Chart
17 Kasey Kahne (9) Ford 112/0 90 0 $113,190 Chart
18 Andy Lally (71) Chevrolet 109/0 90 0 $68,450 Chart
19 Mark Martin (5) Chevrolet 111/5 90 2 $84,475 Chart
20 Brad Keselowski (12) Dodge 103/0 90 0 $94,985 Chart
21 Patrick Carpentier (26) Ford 100/0 90 0 $77,025 Chart
22 Max Papis (13) Toyota 97/0 90 0 $67,775 Chart
23 David Reutimann (00) Toyota 94/0 90 0 $98,206 Chart
24 Greg Biffle (16) Ford 91/0 90 0 $74,575 Chart
25 David Ragan (6) Ford 88/0 90 0 $74,850 Chart
26 Dale Earnhardt Jr. (88) Chevrolet 85/0 90 0 $74,100 Chart
27 David Gilliland (38) Ford 82/0 90 0 $84,635 Chart
28 Jimmie Johnson (48) Chevrolet 79/0 90 0 $117,278 Chart
29 Elliott Sadler (19) Ford 76/0 90 0 $73,050 Chart
30 Travis Kvapil (37) Ford 73/0 90 0 $80,473 Chart
31 Kevin Conway (34) Ford 70/0 90 0 $64,250 Chart
32 Clint Bowyer (33) Chevrolet 67/0 89 0 $71,025 Chart
33 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 64/0 88 0 $99,065 Chart
34 Regan Smith (78) Chevrolet 61/0 84 0 $69,750 Chart
35 Bobby Labonte (09) Chevrolet 58/0 84 0 $61,600 Chart
36 Robby Gordon (7) Toyota 55/0 72 0 $75,998 Chart
37 Denny Hamlin (11) Toyota 52/0 70 0 $81,100 Chart
38 Boris Said (83) Toyota 49/0 65 0 $102,573 Chart
39 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 46/0 54 0 $60,975 Chart
40 Ron Fellows (36) Chevrolet 43/0 46 0 $60,840 Chart
41 P.J. Jones (207) Toyota 40/0 36 0 $60,670 Chart
42 Michael McDowell (55) Toyota 37/0 35 0 $61,050 Chart
43 Scott Speed (82) Toyota 34/0 28 0 $72,501 Chart

Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro News & Polls > Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in