Which Nitro model is most reliable? - Dodge Nitro Forum
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News Find out the latest scoop here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Which Nitro model is most reliable?

Hi all, brand new here all the way from Sweden! Sorry if I ask stupid questions, but I haven't found what I'm looking for here yet.

I'm not yet a Nitro owner but my intention is to get myself one in the near future. What worries me a bit reading through the forum is all the problems people seem to have with it. A bit scary actually... But i'm digging this car vulgar output so much I can't stop drooling over it.

What I would like to know is which model is the most reliable one. The 2.8... 3.7 or the 4.0 R/T. The one that attracts me the most is the R/T and I was at a car dealer trying out a black 2007 a couple of weeks ago. It ran fine except I noticed some kind of transmission noise when I let go off the gas pedal after flooring it 3-4 seconds.

Any suggestions what I should look out for or what model I should stay away from?

Thanks,

Jens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome Cyanide!

Hope you can get your Nitro and enjoy it as most members here.

I was in the same position when I wanted to purchase a new Nitro way back in 2007. With a little research it was clear to me that the R/T was the only way to go, then. Early problems with the 3.7 engine and drive-train really hurt sales after Nitro sales of over 100,000 its first year. Those have now all been corrected, but when Nitro started being equipped with the 4.0 engine standard (as on the original R/T) on some models, sales became more robust.

Do some research, any NITRO now since 2007 is reliable, but the suspension, engine, and drive-train of any 4.0 engine equipped one is over-engineered for 265 HP and is used in other Chrysler vehicles with
many more HP. Not only do I own one, I only recommend to the many that ask about my Nitro to purchase one with the 4.0 engine, if they can.

There are some issues like the problem with gas tank (if not replaced) that do effect them all.

LINK:https://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f1...eling-up-4604/

https://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f1...-recalls-3431/

Good Luck and thanks for checking in here.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Alright Rick, thanks alot for the info. I also got in contact with a guy in Sweden from here owning a Nitro R/T, and he said it was one of the best cars he ever owned.

Oh yeah forgot to ask, is it a cam belt or cam chain on the 4.0? If cam belt, do you know the intervalls to change it perhaps? Why i'm asking is, there's not so many Nitro's R/T's here in Sweden and I'm looking at a black 2007 R/T with 68.000 miles on it which is pretty much for such a new car. Just curious if it's time for belt change in that case, which I guess isn't cheap on this car.

/Jens

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

According to the 2007 Nitro (4.0L) Service Manual the timing belt should be inspected at 102,000 miles (170,000km) replace if necessary.

Rick

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:31 PM

I don't believe the 3.7L has a timing belt, only 4.0L

John

Model: Nitro SXT 3.7L
Build date: Jan 07
Colour: Black
Mods: Projector Head Lamps, Bosch Platinum Plus spark plugs, Autozensations projector fog lamps with Landy chrome bezels. Custom undergrille, removed roof rails.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnhopkins View Post
I don't believe the 3.7L has a timing belt, only 4.0L
I stand corrected (I was correct about the 4.0 R/T engine) after viewing this image: Looks like a the 3.7l has a 3-chain setup on the Nitro engine. THANKS!

Specifications:

(1) - Lower Primary Timing Chain - 70 Link
(2) - Camshaft Drive Timing Chains - 94 Link
(1) - Camshaft Chain Tensioner - Left Hand
(1) - Camshaft Chain Tensioner - Right Hand
(1) - Camshaft Chain Tensioner - Primary Center
(1) - Fixed Guide Rail - Left Hand
(1) - Fixed Guide Rail - Right Hand
(1) - Tensioner Guide Rail - Left Hand
(1) - Tensioner Guide Rail - Right Hand
Fits the following engines as listed:
V6 3.7L

NITRO 4.0 Timing Belt KIT

2007 Dodge Nitro Timing Belt Kit - Dayco

DAYCO TIMING BELT KIT -- Includes timing belt, water pump, 1 belt tensioner, water pump seal and gasket; Complete with detailed instructions; Guaranteed to fit and meet the specifications of the OE parts being replaced; Contents are individually packaged in plastic bags so that the parts can be identified and compared to the original without compromising the integrity of the kit; With Dayco limited warranty.

Part #: DYWP295K1C

Rick

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:50 AM

IMHO, the 3.7 would be the most reliable in our Nitro's. The 3.7 V6 is basically the 4.7 V8, less 2 cylinders. Therefore, it is a truck engine, designed for a Truck. The Nitro is a truck, based on the Liberty. The 3.7 has a chain timing belt, and as far as I can tell, as with the 4.7 in my Jeep Commander, there is no mention of maintenance for the timing belt.

I am not familiar with the Diesel engines, as they are not available in the US. The one available presently in the Nitro as an Export model was previously available in the first generation Jeep Liberty (Cherokee) and was very reliable and a good Italian engine for this truck. But, since diesel engines are not popular in the US, it was discontinued.

The 4.0 is a car engine built for fwd cars, like the minivan and Pacifica. It is a stroked version of the 3.5. Both have a rubber timing belt which has to be changed somewhere around 100,000 miles. Being a car engine is probably why it is not offered in the Liberty - not a rugged enough engine for the Jeep Brand.

The 3.7 is a SOHC engine with 12 valves. The 4.0 is a SOHC engine with 24 valves. Usually, multivalve engines are DOHC, one cam for intakes and one cam for exhaust valves, so the cams on the 4.0 are very busy!

If I had the choice, I'd take the 3.7 with transmission from the 4.0, but this combination is not available. I would like the extra gear to tweak my mileage, but from what I understand, the 4.0 is not rated any better than the 3.7 as far as gas mileage goes.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.

Last edited by dhh3; 10-31-2011 at 05:48 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 02:13 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Dutchty
I would go for the R/T version.
In the Euro version it should the better engine compared to the 3.7L
comparing the gas milage on the 3.7 and 4.0 the 4.0 is slightly better and has a whopping 55 Horse and some more torque to spent. Dont know though when the engines are 10 years old from new with the same miles/km on it.
The transmission is from Mercedes, type 5-speed A580/5G-Tronic Mercedes and there was a new calibration upload on the 2007-2008 trucks here in the EU so it would shift better or something. So you have to check at a dealer if you got the latest sofware version in your truck.
Also, for the EU R/T there should be another (better??) suspension underneath the truck.

08 Dodge Nitro R/T 4.0 Silver 4x4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

93 GMC Typhoon 4.3turbo, 0-60mph/4,5s AWD Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 Honda Civic
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 12:23 PM

I have a diesel automatic because of taxes and fuel prices here are very high. I haven't had a problem after 9k km just as the rest of the Nitro diesels here in Belgrade maybe only the air intake hose broken in a few. The sound can be annoying if you are not used to diesels as I, otherwise, perfect.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Have a Nitro-07 2.8 CDR,runs great,my first diesel!! about 13.600 swedish miles no problems yet. Kambelt is change in 20.000 swedish miles. Love the fat kick in the "ass" when you kickdown and just wave goodbye to the car you left in the backmirror.
Only sad thing is the taxes on the car in sweden over 8.000 sek/year.
But a think JUST like you I MUST HAVE IT,and HOW I LOVE IT...yeah baby...

XX Miss Nitro In Sweden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro News & Polls > Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in