Nitro size comparison.... - Dodge Nitro Forum
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News Find out the latest scoop here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Nitro size comparison....

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this site. I am looking for any real world comparisons on this vehicle vs other midsize SUV's. Can anyone who's seen one in person compare it to another common SUV or Car? I really like the design but the fact that its based on the Liberty frame worries me. I'm a bigger guy and found that Liberty really tight and small. Thanks guys.

Regulator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 07:17 AM

Re: Nitro size comparison....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this site. I am looking for any real world comparisons on this vehicle vs other midsize SUV's. Can anyone who's seen one in person compare it to another common SUV or Car? I really like the design but the fact that its based on the Liberty frame worries me. I'm a bigger guy and found that Liberty really tight and small. Thanks guys.

Regulator
I had the exact same concern, as I test drove a Liberty a couple of years ago and foudn it WAY too small in terms of driver, passengers, and storage. I currently drive a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE, and test drove a Nitro SLT yesterday. The Nitro is a little bit smaller than the Pathfinder, but it is much closer to Pathfinder size than Liberty size. The Nitro is significantly bigger than any of the compact SUVs in addition to Liberty (RAV4, CR-V, Escape, etc.) and approaches the size of the other Mid-sizes (Grand Cherokee, Mits Endeavor, Acura MD-X). The Nitro doesn't have the 3d row seating that many other mid-size SUVs have, but if you don't need that, I think you'll be ok. The Nitro is also bigger than the crossovers, like the Niss Murano. I wanted to make sure the Nirtro was plenty big for our family, so we drove it for the entire afternoon. We have 3 young childrem, and were able to comfortably fit a rear-facing infant seat and two toddler booser seats in the back seat. We've also have 2 medium-sized dogs (65 lbs) who both fit comfortably in the way back. I'm about 6'3" and fit very comfortably in the driver's seat (with it all the way back). I also sat in the back seat behind the fully reclined driver's seat relatively comfortably (anyone shorter than me would have been plenty comfotable). In the driver's seat, I had a good 5"-6" of head room. If you get the sunroof this will probably bring it down to 2"-3". I parked the Pathfinder right next to the Nitro and compared driver, passenger, and storage spaces pretty closely. And, they were very comparable. I'd say the Nitro "fells" about 5% smaller than the Pathfinder all the way around. So, when you get in the Nitro, I think you'll feel like you're in a mid-size, not a compact SUV.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

That sounds good. I felt like I was in a sardine can when I sat in the Liberty, to be honest I could barely fit my legs under the steering wheel. I found it really tight. Anyhow this is looking positive, I may have finally found something that is big enough, reasonable priced and that I like the looks of. Thanks for your feedback.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 09:46 PM

Does anyone know how it compares to the Honda Element. My wife has one and we love the room. Very small engine in it but it is roomy.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Ok I saw two of them today. It's bigger than the Liberty. I think its a good size. It's definately bigger than the element.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:15 PM

Cool Re: Nitro size comparison....

The Nitro's are a little bigger than a Liberty, and have a lot more leg room. I know someone with a new Durango, and the comparison between the two, in term of leg space, is real close. I had someone over 6ft sit in the front and the back of mine and had plenty of room, and the reclining back seats allow even more space and comfort
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh
There's a lot of room once you get inside. The trick is getting inside--the door opening is very low, about a half-foot lower than the ceiling. So even though I'm only 5-9 I had to bend my neck uncomfortably to avoid hitting my head.

I'm surprised the guy who's 6-3 didn't mention this, but maybe when you're that tall you're used to assuming an unusual posture in order to get into a car.
I just leased one for my wife about 2 hours ago and I didn't notice that? I'm 6-2 245 lbs, and I didn't experience any problems getting in and out of either the front or rear seat...I drive a Caddy Cts and I experience it in that a little as it's low to the ground but this ride feels very roomy to me.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 07:51 PM

It does have a power drivers seat...I didn't notice anything especially difficult about getting into the passenger seat. But you could be right in that someone my size just may be used to bending their's to get into cars. My neck is pretty jacked up as well...got rear ended in feb of this year and if it's any indication of how hard I get hit, the repair bill was 22,500. But a pretty regular dose of vicodin and valium keep my neck more tolerable/flexible.

You very well could be right, I've been getting into a cts that is slightly lowered for a while, so I really welcome the ease of getting in and out of this vehicle.

edit;
actually just went out and checked, and yes I have to bend my neck more getting into the passenger seat versus the drivers with the seat lowered, if that helps

Last edited by gcochems; 10-21-2006 at 07:57 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 10:18 PM

No they didn't total it...the initial quote was 17,500 and the kbb value was 33k. In all honesty I pushed for them to total it...but you konw how insurance company's go. My car rides nice snce then, trust me I hit 142 mph "top speed fuel shut off" thing as soon as I left the body shop and I've driven it hard since then...the car drives as good as new. I am however asking for a diminished value claim from the ins. co before I ask for counsel.

I still like the room of nitro, but you are right on the non power seat...you have to crank your head a little bit to get in. Not a big deal to me at this point but you never know
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 09:18 AM

Yeah I usually like to drive anyways so I won't spend much time in the passenger seat unless I've had too much to drink...then it won't bother me at all I'm sure

I do however think it would be an easy convenience feature to add a manual height adjuster on the non power front seats...but I've had that opinion about a few cars

On the other car it is a cadillac cts...I think it actually shuts of at 147 but the warning came on at 142 so I backed off...just wanted to make sure the car tracked staight, etc. I did however get a trade in offer from a dealer for 26k, which is about right in my opinion (not disclosing the accident). The insurance company says they'll take care of me on the loss of value so will see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro News & Polls > Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in