All-new Mopar Winter Wheel Assemblies - Dodge Nitro Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Need HELP with winter rim/tire combo for my R/T

I have an R/T and am definately NOT going to be using the chrome 20's on the roads here this winter. We use too much salt and it would kill them.

Does anybody know what wheels would swap onto my Nitro (bolt pattern-wise) and what they are off of? For example, would an 18" wheel from a Ram bolt up and would it be safe to use an 18" wheel with a higher profile tire to accommodate for speedometer calibration? I am not too concerned about speedometer, just the price of buying 20" steel wheels and tires. It would cost $1000+ for the tires alone, let alone the wheels. I need to know the bolt pattern and what models are compatible. I am shooting for 18's off of a truck but I am not very optomistic.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ozzie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 PM

I am not 100 percent sure but I have read in another forum that there are Nitro owners putting 18" rims from a Magnum or Charger on their Nitro. These rims are all over the place on ebay as new car pulls, even with tires for 500 or less. I know the tires would have to go, assuming snow tires are the reason for the swap but it would appear that they have the same bolt pattern and back spacing as the 20's that we have on our R/T.
I have a set of 18's off of my magnum in the garage, if I can get to them tomorrow, I can measure the bolt spacing and compare to the Nitro and let you know for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Nitro R/T, Chrome Bug Deflector , In Channel Vent Guards, Stainless Bull Bar and Nerf Bars.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Found A Winter Rim/tire Combo That'll Work

I think I can use a 17" wheel from an SLT and a 245/65/17 tire. Same overall diameter (2.7 millimeters difference) and bolt pattern. The brakes on an R/T and SLT are the same size (rotors, calipers) so I can't see any problems. If anybody has any input on this, such as warranty, etc.. please let me know.

And thanks for checking on the magnum wheels fcsallan. What is the bolt pattern?

Thx.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 01:01 PM

I am not sure how they measure but...

The old tires off of my Magnum do in fact fit the Nitro.

A bit short in comparison but they do fit and with the right tires I'm sure it would be a nice look too.. I would have taken a picture but I only put one on to try it.

The backspacing seems to be correct as well as the wheel fits centered in the opening.

I measured the bolt centers from one stud, skipped the next one and then to the center of the next, (I think that to be correct for a 5 lug wheel) and it was just short of 4 3/4 I think, I was measuring with a rim and it is tough to judge the center of the whole.

I hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Nitro R/T, Chrome Bug Deflector , In Channel Vent Guards, Stainless Bull Bar and Nerf Bars.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 02:09 AM

Rims, lugs & tires!

Some questions about tires & rims:

What is the exact lug pattern on our R/T?
Is it any different on the SLT / SXT? If so, what is theirs?
The total rim/tire diameter is 29.5 inches on the R/T (right?), what is it on the SLT / SXT? If different, what tire profile must I have to match the 29.5?

sum:
R/T: 245/50R/20
SLT: ?/?/?
SXT: ?/?/?
to match R/T from SLT / SXT: ?/?/?

Thanks for helping someone who does NOT get the whole numbering system - I know the first is the with and the last is the rim size, but how do you come up with the middle and how do you figure out what you need to match a certain diameter?

Fenrir.no

* 2007 Dodge Nitro R/T 4x4 4.0L * Inferno Red * 20" Mopar Wheels * All leather int. * Sunroof * 6-disc in-dash * Sirius * 6+1 Premium Infinity sound * Luxury int. appliques * Chrome front accent * Mopar chrome nerf * Chrome Nitro door sills * All around smoke wind def. * Tow pkg. * Dodge Ram hood ornament * Color matched hood/trunk lifts * Color matched front/rear premium splash guards *
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 05:53 AM

Maybe a better way of getting what you need here is to tell us the goal. I don't have the particulars on the differing versions of the Nitro, however I'm sure 4 minutes on dodge.com will cure that.

The numbering scheme on the tires is actually very simple.
Width/%of Width=hight/rim size
So in your case it would be 245 would be the width 50 would represent 50% of 245 or 123 (approx) high sidewall on a 20 inch rim dia.

I hope that helps.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsallan
Maybe a better way of getting what you need here is to tell us the goal. I don't have the particulars on the differing versions of the Nitro, however I'm sure 4 minutes on dodge.com will cure that.

The numbering scheme on the tires is actually very simple.
Width/%of Width=hight/rim size
So in your case it would be 245 would be the width 50 would represent 50% of 245 or 123 (approx) high sidewall on a 20 inch rim dia.

I hope that helps.
Err........
Well, my goal is actually to get some different/not as expensive rims/tires for the winter. I've been looking on eBay and I've found several lightly used rims w/tires from both SLT & SXT (16s & 17s), but I don't want to go smaller overall diameter than what I have... So if the ones off an SXT or SLT fits and is the same overall size, that'll be what I'll be looking for.

Fenrir.no

* 2007 Dodge Nitro R/T 4x4 4.0L * Inferno Red * 20" Mopar Wheels * All leather int. * Sunroof * 6-disc in-dash * Sirius * 6+1 Premium Infinity sound * Luxury int. appliques * Chrome front accent * Mopar chrome nerf * Chrome Nitro door sills * All around smoke wind def. * Tow pkg. * Dodge Ram hood ornament * Color matched hood/trunk lifts * Color matched front/rear premium splash guards *
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 07:32 AM

Diameter Rims...

Also,
hab die ganzen Räder mal gemessen, die 20" haben 76 cm Durchmesser und die 17" haben 73 cm Durchmesser.... Lochkreise und Schrauben sind gleich.
Gruss Markus
If anyone doesnt understand german... feel free to ask
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 12:26 PM

OK, that does make it a bit easier.

The available tire sizes on all of the Nitro's are
P225/75R16, P235/65R17, P235/65R17, P245/50R20

With this information you can use the information here to calculate the diameter of each. Any of them will work on our cars. You would just have to have the dealer reprogram you Computer to correct the speedometer.
http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

That should answer all of your questions. I hope it helps

Last edited by fcsallan; 11-17-2007 at 12:29 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss_Nitro_Driver
Also,
hab die ganzen Räder mal gemessen, die 20" haben 76 cm Durchmesser und die 17" haben 73 cm Durchmesser.... Lochkreise und Schrauben sind gleich.
Gruss Markus
If anyone doesnt understand german... feel free to ask
Danke, Markus!

Fenrir.no

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in