Dodge Nitro: Tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) - Page 2 - Dodge Nitro Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 04:13 PM

I never broke a valve stem because of a sticky cap, but once a fuel station jockey checked the tire pressue with a huge gage that would be suitable for an 18 wheeler and broke the end of the stem off before the valve. It's a schraeder unit, my dealer wanted $125.00 for the new stem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Buglione View Post
I never broke a valve stem because of a sticky cap, but once a fuel station jockey checked the tire pressue with a huge gage that would be suitable for an 18 wheeler and broke the end of the stem off before the valve. It's a schraeder unit, my dealer wanted $125.00 for the new stem!
The old version was one piece: valve stem and TPMS. The new version is two pieces so you can change a valve stem without the TPMS. What a deal!

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 04:33 PM

Yes - I was talking about the stem alone! Dealer wanted $125.00 just for the STEM! I'm serious. I didn't want to know how much the sensor was.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Here, the TPMS are 55.20 ea. I do not know the cost of the stem!

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 05:11 PM

I finally "broke down" and bought some of the aluminum stems (for the Schrader TPMS) and the installation kits ('o' rings,etc.) from Amazon.com for less than $10.00 each set. Now I hope they can get down here without any hassle.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 PM

Good luck. I'm glad that you were able to save some $. Let us know how you make out. What was the shipping cost to Panama?

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yet Another Tail of Chrysler-Related TPMS Danger

Editor, Tire Review magazine
November 27, 2013

Quote:
We get a LOT of correspondence from consumers, most of whom find stories on our website while they are searching for answers to tire and vehicle service questions. And since we first started asking hard questions about TPMS corrosion problems, dozens of consumers have shared their horror stories of valve stem units that literally crumbled when they tried to remove the cap to add air.

Crumbled.

And, as you might, they wondered ...........

Continued

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 04:39 AM

My tire pressure light keeps coming on, it is because of the rims?

Every time I turn on my vehicle (2007 Dodge Nitro) a light turns on and keeps beeping. It is the symbol that indicates that on one or more of my tires, my air pressure is low. Could this be because I have put new tires and 22" rims on all 4? I checked the pressure with a gauge and it was good. Could the sensor be broken?
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alen51 View Post
Every time I turn on my vehicle (2007 Dodge Nitro) a light turns on and keeps beeping. It is the symbol that indicates that on one or more of my tires, my air pressure is low. Could this be because I have put new tires and 22" rims on all 4? I checked the pressure with a gauge and it was good. Could the sensor be broken?
Welcome to the forum. You have arrived in the right place to have all of your Nitro questions answered. Hop on board, and enjoy the ride.

How long ago did you do this? Sometimes it takes a few days for your Truck to relearn the system. Also, it is possible one of the sensors got damaged during the switch. Or, the battery needs replaced. Also, check the air in your spare.

post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Future of Tire Sensors

Continental In-Tire Sensors Read Tread Depth

08/14/2014

Quote:
Yesterday we looked at a new TPMS sensor that Continental is coming out with, but the supplier company is not stopping there and is looking into the future of tire sensors as well. It’s working on technology that will see the sensor imbedded into the tire, it will be able to detect when a tire needs to be changed, if the vehicle is overloaded and send that information to your smartphone. To determine tread depth, the sensor can detect changes in rolling characteristics over time and if it sees a need for replacement it could even send a notice to the repair shop. Continental says the technology is slated to come out in 2017 but I just wonder how much one of these tires would cost because they it don’t sound cheap.
SOURCE

LINK TO Continental In-Tire Sensors Read Tread Depth Article

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in