lift kit - Page 3 - Dodge Nitro Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1 View Post
I seen a pic of a silver one that someone had put a lift on and larger tires does anyone know what all is involved with this?I think it looks cool myself and thought about lifting mine but wanted more details before I proceed
Revtek and Daystar both make 2-inch lift kits that aren't too difficult to install, but the rock climbers around here typically lift 4", and many to 6" or more. A rock-climbing neighbor of mine drives both a 2001 Jeep Wrangler (4" lift) and a 2005 Jeep Liberty (3" lift); he deals mostly with a company named Rocky Road Outfitters (I use their strut install kit, it makes strut removal, servicing, and re-installation a comparatively easy, quick job). Rocky Road presently campaigns a 2008 Jeep Liberty (KK, same in most respects as the KA Dodge Nitro) and you can get specifics here (Jeep Liberty parts and accessories, KJ (also known as the Cherokee still outside of the USA)). They do not recommend a lift over 3" because of CV joint reliability issues, but they offer everything you can imagine for a permanent, reliable, safe modification.

Surprisingly, unless you're interested in cutting or eliminating the fender well liners, even with a 3" lift you're limited to a overall wheel+tire diameter of no more than 30.5 inches...the same diameter you can use with no lift at all!

Last edited by tartantyger; 06-08-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:54 AM

the tires shown on the one in the add(orange Nitro) look like they are much bigger than stock
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:42 PM

You'll notice that you can see the shock absorber above the tire (white just underneath wheel surround). That's visible only if the fender well liner has been removed. Look at the picture of the Inferno Red Nitro in the ad; the tires are much more modestly sized.

2007 SXT 4x2, Volant CAI, CGS Cat-Back, JET PCM, Bilsteins, Rotora rotors, PowerTrax No-Slip

Last edited by tartantyger; 06-10-2009 at 06:46 PM.

post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 PM

daystar 2" lift

I purchased a 2" lift from Daystar. When I went to install the front I had interference between the ball joint and the lift spacer. Any ideas what went wrong? It also looked really bad for the CV joints. I wasn't able to complete the installation due to the interference.
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 08:16 AM

I don't know if this will be any help at all, since I have yet to find ANYONE with a 2" Daystar kit locally, but George installed a 3" Rocky Road kit in his Liberty, and that required reversing what Chrysler refers to as the clevis (#12 in the picture). That was covered specifically in the instructions - I don't notice any similar mention in the Daystar pdf. You might want to contact Daystar's support group ([email protected]) for info specific to your installation.

Also, the CV's are bent to what would seem a rather severe angle (enough to make me nervous just looking at them) but after three years of use he's had no problem with them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ftsusp.jpg (82.8 KB, 44 views)

2007 SXT 4x2, Volant CAI, CGS Cat-Back, JET PCM, Bilsteins, Rotora rotors, PowerTrax No-Slip

Last edited by tartantyger; 06-13-2009 at 08:32 AM.
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 05:18 PM

lift kit

I had spoke to their tech guy and they said that it looked right and maybe it was hung up un the spring and the upper A arm or something. I am thinking that maybe the cy joints and axles got out of sorts and that was why I could not compress the springs right. thanks for the info I am glad to hear that there is no issues with the cv joints. I am gonna give it a try again. I also bought air bags for the rear. I pull a fishing boat and sometimes have the back loaded down pretty good. I will see how that installation goes.
Thanks again

"Bringing a stone to a tank fight, priceless"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 SXT 4X4, tow package, cargo rails, K&N filter, wind deflectors, rear air bags, 2" Daystar lift.
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:58 AM

Got it done

I finished the kit. it went much easier the second time. It all seems fine I do get a little noise when it is in 4 wheel drive. but nothing major. Now I just need some new wheels and tires.

The air bags were very easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 SXT 4X4, tow package, cargo rails, K&N filter, wind deflectors, rear air bags, 2" Daystar lift.

Last edited by ZX10R200668; 07-29-2009 at 12:21 PM.
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 04:54 AM

got pics?would like to see how it turned out
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 05:17 AM

Pictures

Yes I got some but will have to wait until this weekend to post them. The computer I am on does not allow me to post pict from it. I absolutely need nicer tires and wheels. I am in the process now of getting some.

post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:07 PM

just noticed that you are from Pa so am I where abouts are you located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in