New owner Rough choppy bouncy ride - Dodge Nitro Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

New owner Rough choppy bouncy ride

Hello im a new owner of an 08 nitro. Love the truck cant stand the choppy ride.Anyone have any suggestions on smoothing this ride out? i have been told bilstein shocks and timbren kit should do it.Need advice on this thanks!

Last edited by 68l89; 08-22-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Mispell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68l89 View Post
Hello im a new owner of an 08 nitro. Love the truck cant stand the choppy ride.Anyone have any suggestions on smoothing this ride out? i have been told bilstein shocks and timbren kit should do it.Need advice on this thanks!
What model? Do you have the 20" wheels? My 2011 has the 20" wheels with the performance suspension and it does ride harsh and choppy as you say. I think a lot of this has to do with the low profile tires. I put HD Bilstein shocks on my Jeep Commander and it made a huge difference. Granted, the Jeep had 17" wheels, so the tires had a higher sidewall.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Rough ride

Its an 08 it is 4 wheel drive basic model im guessing has 18 inch wheels on it

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Its an 08 it is 4 wheel drive basic model im guessing has 18 inch wheels on it
Probably 17". Check the tire size. Also, check the air pressure in each tire. Over inflating will give you slightly better gas milage, but will make it ride harder. Under inflation will wear your tires faster, but will give a softer ride. The placard on the driver's door jam will give you the recommended inflation amount. Look at your shocks. Do they show any signs of leakage? If so, time to replace! I would seriously consider the Bilsteins. Good luck.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

No 18 inch tires inflated properly. Thinking ill get bilsteins and the timbren system.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
No 18 inch tires inflated properly. Thinking ill get bilsteins and the timbren system.
I stand corrected. 17's were standard on the Commander, 18's were optional. I did not realize that Nitros came std with 18" wheels. Good choice for the Bilsteins. You won't be disappointed. I found the best price @ shockwarehouse.com. What is the timbren system?

BTW, welcome to the forum.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:03 PM

Sorry, guys, but I hear so many people who buy an S U V thinking they've bought a limo and complain about the ride. S U V stands for sports (where that came from I don't know) UTILITY Vehicle. I had a Jeep CJ5 that the ownership stated UTILITY VEHICLE.
If you want a limo ride, go buy a Caddy or Lincoln.

John

Model: Nitro SXT 3.7L
Build date: Jan 07
Colour: Black
Mods: Projector Head Lamps, Bosch Platinum Plus spark plugs, Autozensations projector fog lamps with Landy chrome bezels. Custom undergrille, removed roof rails.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

I dont want a limo ride but i dont want to be hitting my head against the drivers window and ceiling everytime i hit a bump in the road.....Sorry your so upset....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

I have one tons that are smoother than this thing
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 PM

hi we have just changed our alloys and tyres put bilstein shocks all round and bwoody sway bars vast improvement.main problem with bouncy ride is the bloody awful tyres by goodyear on our sxt which has 20 inch rims as standard,if urs is the basic model here in the u.k that came with 16 inch rims as standard,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in