Dodge Nitro Alternator / Voltage Regulator - Dodge Nitro Forum
General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Dodge Nitro - if it doesnt fit in a more specific section, use this.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

How to replace the alternator on a 1995 Dodge Avenger ES?

How to replace the alternator on a 1995 Dodge Avenger ES?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:01 PM

Not a whole lot of info on this one, but I guess it makes a difference if you have a 4 or V6.

Answers.com - How do you replace the alternator on a 1995 Dodge Avenger ES

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 08:49 PM

Dodge Nitro Alternator / Voltage Regulator

Hi.

I am trying to find out if the 2008 model has a Variable Voltage Alternator fitted.

I have the 2.8 Ltr Turbo Diesel released in Australia.

Any info appreciated

Thank You.

Geoff.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 03:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to korinmana Send a message via Skype™ to korinmana
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Where can I get a high output alternator for a 2007 Dodge Nitro?

Please help.Does anybody know where they sell high output alternators for a 2007 Dodge Nitro?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The above Links are of no help since the 2.8 Ltr Turbo Diesel released in Australia was never sold in the USA..

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Dodge Nitro Alternator / Voltage Regulator

Published on Oct 22, 2016

Installing some fuse blocks and cleaning up some wires and a look at the new alternator

Rick

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:36 AM

External Voltage Regulator 08 Nitro Troubleshooting

After replacing the alternator and battery in my moms 2008 Dodge Nitro, we discovered it was the voltage regulator that was shot. Since it is inconveniently located inside the vehicles computer, the cost to simply replace the whole thing is too great, I went looking for alternatives. We stumbled across an external voltage regulator kit which is supposed to be preprogrammed to 14.3 volts. We got everything installed per directions, however, now it runs way to high at times reaching 19 volts. Does anyone have any experience, suggestions or resources they could share? Thank you.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Kelsea Skaggs

This is a new one. Sorry to hear of your problem. So if I understand the Nitro voltage regulator is not part of the alternator? Automatic Voltage Stabilizer Regulator you have must be defective, right? Are you sure the replacement alternator is not defective too?

Not of any help from me.

I found:

"On the Nitro, the voltage regulator is built into the alternator. It is under the black cover on the back."

"It doesn't happen often, but it is possible that you may have purchased an alternator with a bad regulator. Especially if it was a refurbished part. Refurbished parts sometimes get damaged due to shoddy workmanship, or damaged in shipping.

You can replace just the regulator itself, but it is usually more cost effective just to buy a completely new alternator. In your case, I would be contacting whoever I bought it from and request a refund, or an even swap for a good unit."

"The voltage regulator
is internally grounded, so make sure the mounting bolts are clean and tight."

TIPM Repair, Test, and Bypass Solutions

Rick

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:04 PM

Alternator/starting issue.

First issue: as I was driving I noticed smoke coming from my*engine and a nasty rubber smell, I pulled over checked under the hood my alternator was extremely hot and pumping out smoke, being only about 15km from my house I unplugged the alternator in Hope's that the remaining life in the battery would get me to my driveway, unfortunately it didnt my entire vehicle shut down/died and I was forced to call a tow. When he showed up the vehicle was completely drained he put a booster pack on it just to get the vehicle into neutral but he did not attempt to start it just putting power to move it from park to neutral, also the previous night I heard a screeching and whine noise from the front end that increased when I accelerated.nothing overheated or any and the sound diminished while driving. Heard it again this morning when I left..... So I'm guessing my alternator seized or is fried? The alternator pulley will rotate when I pull on the belt. But is my battery also shot?*

Second issue: At my driveway I attempt to start the vehicle to put the front windows up, we hooked a running vehicle to my battery with cables(cheap ones from a road kit that came with the jeep) the dash lit up my headlights came on, I attempt to put the windows up and the front windows wont go up, I check the back and they work fine up and down. So I attempt to start the vehicle and it wouldn't even roll over just the one click noise of a dead battery then nothing. I attempt once more and my friend yells that the wires are melting. We stop everything remove wires and my alternator is so hot I cant touch it.*
Today I attempt to put the vehicle into neutral from the park position again I need to hook a running vehicle battery up to mine.... when I turn the key(NOT ATTEMPTING TO CRANK OVER) just putting power to the computer to get it to neutral....I attempt to put it in gear and roll the windows up the cables again start to smoke alternator hot again. What the HELL
Questions:
-Did i not leave the batter to charge long enough and the cables being cheap caused them to melt under load?*
- is a possible diode blown in the alternator and drawing power directly from the running vehicles battery causing an overload of power that causes the cables to melt?
-Why in the hell wont my front windows work was there possibly a major power surge and fried my components? As stated above the cluster lights up the vehicle displays all light up headlights work when attached to the running vehicle, just no front window control.

Please excuse the huge write up but I figure more information is better then less.
rickaren likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in