Dodge Nitro: Differential & Driveline Issues - Dodge Nitro Forum
General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Dodge Nitro - if it doesnt fit in a more specific section, use this.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Dodge Nitro: Differential & Driveline Issues

Hum at 55MPH rear axle replaced.

Not sure if I created a thread for this slight annoyance I had but anyways..

My main dealer replaced the rear axle complete with rotors pads and new calipers ( bonus ) on my RT.

The slight hum noise at 55mph is now non existent. I would like to give thumbs up to Dodge Dayton Andrews of Clearwater for their expertise. I use the same mechanic there and they seem to always want to appease their clients. Had quite a few other warranty work done their and not once did I have to go back for other issue.

Freddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Just an update. Unfortunately I noticed a faint hum from the rear again at 55MPH!

Its much fainter but no doubt it will get louder, wonder what it could be? As the rear end was completely changed,.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Dodge Nitro DRIVELINE: Differential & Driveline Info

I am new to this, but I haven't been able to find a lot of information on the problem that I am having. I currently own a 2007 Dodge Nitro. A week ago yesterday while making a left hand turn my drive shaft fell out of my vehicle causing my air bags to deploy. Two separate repair shops have looked at the vehicle and determined that there was something that was rubbing against the drive shaft that would have caused it to weaken. There were gauge marks in the drive shaft indicating this. I purchased the vehicle used so my only conclusion was that it had to occur while under the previous owner. I accepted their report and the warranty is covering the replacement of the drive shaft; however, the incident caused major damage to the vehicle including deploying my side impact air bags. Luckily my insurance company is going to cover the remaining repairs needed. So up until this morning I was satisfied .... On my way to work I passed a newer model Dodge Nitro with its drive shaft on the ground. My husband stopped and talked to the guy. Same exact thing! The markings on his drive shaft are exactly like the markings on mine that they claimed had to have been rubbed. What I am trying to find is if anyone else has had this same experience. I have contacted the dealership that currently is repairing my car. I am satisfied that mine is being taken care of, but it almost looks like it may be a major issue.

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
What Nitro and engine/trans. do you have? Have not seen any reported complaints on this as of today.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:15 PM

It is a 2007 V6 Dodge Nitro SXT if that helps. If you tell me where I can find any other info I will be glad to provide it. I have added the pictures. The silver car is mine and the red is the one I passed this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20101026_175015.jpg (93.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 1288882570021.jpg (34.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by kfourman; 11-04-2010 at 01:24 PM.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I suppose you have an automatic 4X4 , but you could have a six speed manual being a SXT, I think.

I would make a Defect Investigation Complaint over at
ODI - Office of Defects Investigation and maybe send these great pictures, if they accept them. Again I can not find any reports about this issue or complaints. I am concerned having a 2007 R/T but too would not be worried about charges for the defect with all the extended coverage I have, but this is a safety issue and needs to be reported and documented. After an investigation a Recall could be issued.
Please keep us informed here and THANKS!

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 PM

Thank you so much. I have filed a complaint as you suggested. I actually have an automatic 4X2.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 AM

Any further info about this problem yet?
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 06:55 AM

no news

I have not heard anything from Dodge at all. My warranty company paid to replace only the drive shaft, and luckily my insurance company covered the rest.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 PM

I just had a quick look at mine, couldn't see any rub marks but i'll be keeping an eye out.

But i did discover that the driveshafts are made out of ALUMINIUM ! (sorry, Aluminum for those in the States) I noticed it had Alcoa stamped on it so i grabbed a magnet and sure enough.....So no wonder something rubbing on it can lead to a failure!
something to keep an eye on.
Kind of exotic though, having an Aluminium drive shaft, i've heard of some supercars having carbon fiber shafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in