Dodge Nitro Trailer Hitch/Towing - Page 3 - Dodge Nitro Forum
General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Dodge Nitro - if it doesnt fit in a more specific section, use this.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:17 PM

I have a Dodge Nitro R/T and tow a 4000lb Trailer with electric brakes. I tow in 4th gear but as I get up to 90 km/hr (55 Miles/hr) it starts to climb over 3000rpm. On interstates I would like to cruise around 100km/hr (60 miles/hr). Is it safe to switch to Drive to lower the rpm or should I stay in 4th gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:59 PM

towing and trailer brakes

I have an '07 4wd with the towing package. I am wondering if it is already wired for trailer brakes? It has the 7 pin plug.
Thanks
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 02:18 PM

You should be all set to go. If your trailer has a round 7-pin plug, all you need to do is plug it into the round receptacle by the hitch. If your trailer has a standard flat 4-pin connector, you will need a round 7-pin to 4-flat adapter which will plug into the receptacle first, then plug your trailer into the end of the adapter. Your Nitro should have come from the factory with the adapter, as my Jeep Commander did. I have one - the part number stamped on it is 56019824. I am not sure about trailer brakes, as these did not become available on the Jeep Commander until 08 or 09. My 06 Commander did not have them, even though I had the 7 pin connector, so I do not believe that Chrysler offered trailer brakes until a year or two ago, at least on the SUV's. If your Nitro did have them, there should be a module located under the dash, on the drivers side. Hope this answers your question.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.

Last edited by dhh3; 07-05-2011 at 02:24 PM.

post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 01:24 AM

Interesting to read, that the Rules are a little bit other than I am used to.

My 2WD is allowed to tow 2 tons (4400 lb), the 4WD is alowed up to 3.5 tons (7700 lb)
We are not looking for a Weght Distribution of 60% / 40% as described in the Manual, but we have a maximum Load on the Hitch (mine with 100kg), that should always be reached.

Since some Years, our Plugs have 13 Poles, elder with 7 Poles.

Maximum Standard Speed is 80 km/h (50 mph)
Maximum Speed with some technical Additions (Tires max 6 Years old, hydraulic Dampers, Anti Side Rolling Clutch) and some burocratic Issues (the technical Papers of the Trailer have to be changed, the Empty Weight of the car needs to be higher than the Max Weight of the Trailer, a Special "100"-Sticker with a special Stamp needs to be placed on the back of the Trailer) is 100 km/h (60 mph).

No Problems with Towing with 100 km/h. Accelaration is still fantastic,
and I am always using the highest Gear (in flat Areas rolling in the 6th Gear with 2000rpm). In the Hills driving with 2500rpm "upstairs" and I have also no Problems like maybe becoming slower or no reserves for Acceleration.

Best Regards
heini-bu
8,4L/100km = 30,1 mpg Diesel
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to AngeloBenosa Send a message via Skype™ to AngeloBenosa
The 4.0 is only rated to 2000lbs stock
3500lbs w/ tow package (engine oil cooler and maybe a mechanical fan)
>3500lbs to 5000lbs with tow package & weight distribution hitch.

As stated, no tow/haul button on the 4.0.

Whether you are in accident, any parking issue, or tied up due to your car. we will be there to provide you towing service,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, tow truck service, tow truck sydney, or any other kind of tow service you need. Our fully loaded dozenz of tow truck buses would be there to help you out.
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloBenosa View Post
The 4.0 is only rated to 2000lbs stock
3500lbs w/ tow package (engine oil cooler and maybe a mechanical fan)
>3500lbs to 5000lbs with tow package & weight distribution hitch.

As stated, no tow/haul button on the 4.0.
Welcome to the forum. All the tow package from the factory adds is the hitch, wiring, and a full size spare. There is also a wire under the dash, by the steering column, to hook up an electric trailer brake controller. On the 4.0, it also includes the oil cooler and the mechanical fan. The 3.7 does not require these, as the 3.7 is built to be a truck engine, whereas the 4.0 is a car engine.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 03:24 PM

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I am in the UK and am looking to buy a diesel 2.7 sxt auto. I want to pull a boat and trailer which has a combined weight of 2000kgs. Does anyone know if I will be able to tow this weight?

Many thanks in advance
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyparks View Post
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I am in the UK and am looking to buy a diesel 2.7 sxt auto. I want to pull a boat and trailer which has a combined weight of 2000kgs. Does anyone know if I will be able to tow this weight?

Many thanks in advance
That wouldn't be any problem, I tow my caravan with my 2.8CRD and it works like a charm.
My caravan weighs around 2500kg fully loaded.
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 12:19 PM

Unhappy towbar

Hi can anyone shed some light on what I need to buy to be able to fit a towbar onto a 2007 nitro with 20inch spare wheel still fixed on underside of car or is there a certain make of towbar that I can buy to fit .thanks dennis
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 05:53 PM

The Mopar unit bolts to the frame rails. The threaded holes are already in the frame rails.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in