Dodge Nitro Forum banner

High Mounted 3rd Brake Light not working.

40K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  rickaren 
#1 ·
Dodge Nitro: Third Brake light problems

Only my third brake light works. I checked the fuses and bulbs but found no problem, any suggestions?

#2 ·
Hey folks,
Anyone have this problem before? The high mounted 3rd brake light stopped working on my 2008 Nitro. I checked the 15A fuse (M1) and its good. When I checked the supply voltage at the connector to the lamp assembly I get nothing at all. When I checked the left brake light I read 3-4v that jumps to 15v when you hit the brake peddle. I figured I should get something similar for the 3rd brake light connector. I checked the harness at back of the truck but can't find a pinch in the wire. I tugged on the harness and shook it but still got no voltage reading at the connector.

#6 ·
Welcome Exok

I believe that many have had to just replace the complete lamp to solve this problem.

#8 ·
Third brake light

WELL I have gotten a replacement light and 70$ later the brake light stil is not working . can anyone tell me if their brake lights go on when the truck is not running , mine do not , I believe most vehicles stop lights will illuminate when the vehicle is not running . also last winter I was getting a small electrical shock when I would get out of the truck as I would close the door . I put it off as static electricity , but now i'm thinking a hot wire was grounding to the truck body some where . any thoughts on this issue ?

#9 ·
WELL I have gotten a replacement light and 70$ later the brake light stil is not working . can anyone tell me if their brake lights go on when the truck is not running , mine do not , I believe most vehicles stop lights will illuminate when the vehicle is not running . also last winter I was getting a small electrical shock when I would get out of the truck as I would close the door . I put it off as static electricity , but now i'm thinking a hot wire was grounding to the truck body some where . any thoughts on this issue ?
Well didn't you say you were receiving juice to the third lamp? If not, how about the brake switch? Sorry for the bad advice, but here are some LINKS that may point to a defective brake lamp switch, instead. Let us know.

http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f11/08-dodge-nitro-brake-lights-out-7263/

http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f5/brake-light-switch-replacement-cant-locate-module-vehicle-5736/

http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f5/brake-switch-circuit-low-8963/

#12 ·
My brake lights do come on without the truck running; the keys not even in the ignition switch.

The one thing I have always found weird about the Nitro is the fact that the brake lights do not have their own fuse. However, the center brake light does have its own fuse: M1, 15A blue.

The brake light switch also has a fuse: M37, 10A red. This fuse is also tied in with ABS, ESP, Fuel Pump Relay High. If you are not having issues with any of these other circuits, then I'd guess that it would be the brake light switch.

From my understanding, the brake light switch is a one use item; if you take it out, you can not get it back in. I have never done this, so I do not know if there is a trick to replacing the switch. I mention this only because if you get the new switch in, and something is not quite right, and you have to remove it, you will NOT be able to get it back in.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and let me know how you make out.

:cool:

#14 ·
One thing you will find out about forums is that a lot of time people will ask a question. We can post a fix, but they never get back with how they made out. Feedback is important; this way we know that the information that we give out is good, or bad! :eek:

:cool:

#15 ·
Third Brake Light Bulb Change Dodge Nitro (2007-2011)

Third Brake Light Bulb Change Dodge Nitro (2007-2011)

Video Description

The center brake light, sometimes referred to as the third brake light or stoplight, on your 2010 Dodge Nitro lights up when you hit the brake pedal and helps prevent you from being rear ended by the cars behind you. See how to change the center brake light (CBL) on your Dodge Nitro in the video above. Be careful not to touch the bulb directly with your fingers when you replace the center brake light bulb on your Nitro, touching the bulb causes the it to burn out quicker.

A burnt out center brake light bulb in your Nitro is an excuse for a police officer to pull you over. Check your bulbs frequently and change burnt bulbs promptly.

#18 ·
Third Brake Lamp Repair

If you can get the old bulb out it should be one of the below bulb shown in RED cheap & an easy fix

Stick T-Type LED Bulbs (921) - BEST

Stick T-Type LED (921, White) Bulbs by Putco®, 1 Pair. Illuminate your interior with the brightest LED bulbs on the market! Say good-bye to hunting for your cell phone, wallet or documents on a dark night by the light of a dim factory bulb. These LED lights will brighten your interior, making objects more visible. They're 18 times brighter than comparable incandescent bulbs, yet their voltage consumption is super low. They have a lifespan exceeding 50,000 hours and carry a lifetime warranty. And LED Festoon Bulbs install easily in place of your stock bulbs with an adaptable connector; they fit most bulb sockets with no wiring required. Replaces the following bulb types: 904 / 906 / 912 / 916 / 920 / 922

LINK:

However many find this does not work and have had to replace the complete assembly:

Part Number: 55157147AF

high mount lamp

MSRP Online Price
$84.10 $0.00 $62.05

SOURCE

#22 ·
Dodge Nitro LED Black Third Brake Light

Jun 17, 2019

I'm told that the correct part # is
dnamotoring
3BL-DNIT07-LED-SM but have not found the source as of 6/19/2019

Available in BLACK, RED, SMOKED, CHROME, BLACK SMOKED

#24 ·
I purchased the DNA Motoring 07-12 Dodge Nitro LED Black Smoked Third Brake Light to install on mt 2007 Nitro R/T.

Pretty simple install.

REMOVE the 2 (T25) Torx screws

unplug electrical plug

pull off washer hose

NOTE
remove nozzle-lift-gate washer (Mopar part # 68015003AA) There are snap plastic clips on the top and bottom that needs to be depressed to pop-out. The new replacement custom Third Brake Light Does NOT come with this (expensive) nozzle. I had no issue removing this original nozzle.

Since I ordered the Black Smoked Lamp I did not want the nozzle to remain red so I sprayed it Semi-gloss black. However I then ran into an issue since this nozzle did not want to snap into the new lamp! I don't think I damaged the nozzle removing it and did not look broken or damaged. When I found out the cost of the original red nozzle I see why it was not included with the new custom lamp! It is however available from many sources including E-Bay and Amazon. Just Google the above part number.

I decided instead to just glue the now painted black nozzle by removing the gasket with a plastic glue (plastic to plastic). Worked for me.

INSTALL

re-hook up washer hose

re-hook up electrical plug

check that lamp works

re-install the Torx screws

Good to go and Good Luck on your latest Dodge Nitro modification!

If for some reason you want to replace the original Nitro Light with the same, the Mopar Part No. is: 55157147AF

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.