New To Me 2010 Nitro - Want to reset system. - Dodge Nitro Forum
General Discussion This section contains general discussion relating to the Dodge Nitro - if it doesnt fit in a more specific section, use this.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

New To Me 2010 Nitro - Want to reset system.

We bought a 2010 Nitro with 16k miles on it and absolutely love it. I understand that the on-board computer has a learning capability that will help adjust fuel usage, shift points, etc based on driving style.

Is there any way to reset the entire system so that the vehicle is able to learn our driving style, rather than having to adjust the previous drivers style?

Is this doable, or am I talking out my butt?

Thanks..

Claud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Anybody?

Just curious if anybody has any clue on this?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:35 AM

Think of your Nitro as a computer. You need to purge the memory. Disconnect the negative terminal from your battery for 10 minutes or so, and this should eliminate any stored memory related to driving habits, etc. Think of doing this a a "restart"! Good luck with this.

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Fairly decent analogy. Although generally, a computer bios reset will require a jumper to be put onto the "clear CMOS" in order to reset it. Or to ensure a clean running system, I would reinstall the OS, thereby removing all the data and providing a clean slate.

Thanks for the info, as it appears that I won't need to pull the chip, or perform a key on/off routine to reset the system, I'll give it a try and see what happens.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeWhyPhotos View Post
Fairly decent analogy. Although generally, a computer bios reset will require a jumper to be put onto the "clear CMOS" in order to reset it. Or to ensure a clean running system, I would reinstall the OS, thereby removing all the data and providing a clean slate.

Thanks for the info, as it appears that I won't need to pull the chip, or perform a key on/off routine to reset the system, I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Thanks for the reply. I have never had to do this on my Nitro, as I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase it new, despite all of the crap I had to endure last year. Let me know if doing this actually does anything!

2011 Nitro Heat 4x4: Bright Silver Metallic, Dark Slate Gray; Customer Preferred Package 24C; Trailer Tow Group; Hood-to-Fender Stripes; Navus 2; Uconnect.
MODS: Sunroof; S/S Nerf Bars; Mopar CAI, Pedal Kit, Chrome Rear License Plate Brow, Chrome Exterior Package, Production Style Cross Bars, Deluxe Molded Splash Guards, Cargo Security Cover, Door Sills & 3.7L Emblem; Media Center 430; Kicker Speakers, Sub and Amps; Carbon Fiber Dash Kits; Heated Katzkin Leather.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
Think of your Nitro as a computer. You need to purge the memory. Disconnect the negative terminal from your battery for 10 minutes or so, and this should eliminate any stored memory related to driving habits, etc. Think of doing this a a "restart"! Good luck with this.

I confirmed with my Service Tech today that dhh3 is correct. I'm having my Dealer replace my Nitro's original battery today since it did fail the last checkup, around the first of the year and will soon be five years old! I was concerned about any effect on the numerous "flashes" and TSBs (I believe that I have had all of the reported ones performed) and wanted to make sure that none would be lost by changing and disconnecting the battery. He said any loss would be to owners preferences such as radio channel settings and the like, only.

Factory MOPAR replacement batteries are expensive to purchase and having it dealer installed, however with all my extended warranty and maintenance contracts I never spend any money (it's been pre-paid) in service, at present. Not much of a savings but MOPAR has a Summer 2012 mail-in rebate for $10 on batteries till Aug 31.

Rick

Nitro Year: 2007 (1 of 91,815 sold in 07)
Nitro Model: R/T 4X4 Stone White
CAT-BACK Exhaust, CAI, Projector Head Lamps
Fully-Equipped w/all factory options
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:43 AM

Thanks for the post. This is why I love these forums. There is a world ok knowledge out there, just waiting to be absorbed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Nitro Forum > Dodge Nitro Discussion > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Nitro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in