Dodge Nitro Forum banner

roof rail mounting issues

34K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  nitro48 
#1 ·
I was feeling good (still am) about my Nitro which has been trouble free for it's 5K miles. I read about someone having problems with wind noise caused by the roof rack lifting up. Seems it is held in place by tape. Mine has lifted up on the drivers side. I haven't had any noise yet, and you have to look closely to see that the rack has become unstuck for about 3". So, I will get it in to have my dealer(who is excellent) deal with it next oil change. Take a close look at yours. Regards

Roof Rail Lifting Answers

I suspect many have seen postings in other “Discussion Groups” like me stating that to correct Nitro roof rails (luggage rack) from lifting, breaking or rattling you should have your Dealership installed:

Part Numbers:
68032966AB rail
68032967AB rail
1JQ42RXFAB molding
1JQ43RXFAB molding

Answers:

• These above part numbers were Factory installed on ALL 2008 Dodge Nitros as well as late production 2007 like mine.

• There is no recall or TSB concerning replacing the previous used and Factory installed roof rails with the above numbers. However there is a “Service Directive” that allows a Dealership to check, using the vehicle VIN number to see if your Nitro has the latest designed rails. If not, and you have an issue, the above numbers can be installed under warranty.

• Warranty coverage on the roof rails are part of the basic warranty 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Conclusion: I spent about an hour with my Dealership’s Service Manager to understand why my Nitro could not receive the latest rails, having a loose left one. They appeased me by ordering only the left, since the right one is solid thus far, and since they had to remove it anyway to install new tape. Service Manager said he has not seen issues with 2008, but if my 2007 Nitro has the same moldings then maybe it is just a matter of time before they do! There is little doubt in my mind that the 2009 Dodge Nitro will go out of production in this model year or sooner. Keep in mind that they only built 100 before closing the plant for one month and last report they only have enough 2009 orders to run production for eight days! I told the Manager I wanted to keep mine with all the latest revisions and parts since I knew production would end. He agreed but said by law they must supply replacement parts for 10 years. Don’t think that is true anymore, and Chrysler may not be around a few years from now anyway.

So it looks to me that this issue may not be resolved and I don’t see Chrysler addressing it anymore than they have since the Nitro is a lame duck. I would recommend everyone to at least have your Dealer continue to repair themunder warranty. Hope this helps!

See less See more
#5 ·
Roof Rail Attacks Again!!!

MUST BE THE HUMIDITY DOWN HERE IN LOUISIANA THAT WON'T ALLOW THE TAPE TO STICK ON THE ROOF RAIL ON THE PASSENGERS SIDE. I KNOW WHAT WILL "STICK" ON MY NITRO AND THAT IS THOSE DAMN "LOVEBUGS".

MAYBE I CAN GET SOME OF THESE AND SHOVE THEM UP THE ROOF RAIL ENDS!!!

WILL BRING BACK TO THE DODGE DEALESHIP AGAIN!!!!!!!

MCNABB IN L0UISIANA............:mad:

#6 ·
Roof Rack

There is a problem, Mine was sticking up and front mounting hole was cracked on Passenger side, I tried to order new one, Parts America says you can't get just one because there is a new design replacing both for better fit, I should have went to dealer, I didn't see any recall notices but after I get my 310.00 invoice for 2 new rails, I will send to Chrysler and see what happens.
Hopefully the new ones are aluminum instead of plastic.

#7 ·
WOW, $310 is heavy. I would have brought it in to the dealer and had him replace it.

Alum, would be nice but don't count on it. I am working with a Billet company on some parts for my Nitro but they said something that big would be too expensive to tool and no one would pay for it.

#10 ·
Roof Rack

I just purchased a 2007 Nitro SXT with the 23C package. The dealership needed to order the cross rails for the roof rack. My concern with them only being held on with double sided tape is when I put a load in the turtle (cross rails mounted storage) or attempt to transport a mattress or plywood that the rails will completely come loose from the truck and potentially hit a vehicle behind me. Does anyone have the cross rails to carry materials or it is just a matter of them coming undone from the tape not holding? I live in S. Florida and if humidity is a cause, I may be in deep trouble.

#11 ·
The rails are terminated above the windshield with tape, but they are held on with 5 or 6 bolts that are welded to the roof along each side.

I am also in Florida and so far so good no lifting, and I am told that Dodge has replaced the old "all plastic" rails with one that has a metal bracket embeded in the plastic in front to keep it from lifting. If yours does not already have it, if you have any issues they will replace them with the new ones under warranty.

#17 ·
... I am told that Dodge has replaced the old "all plastic" rails with one that has a metal bracket embeded in the plastic in front to keep it from lifting. If yours does not already have it, if you have any issues they will replace them with the new ones under warranty.
i noticed mine are starting to come up some on the driver side ... i probably wouldn't have noticed it if i wouldn't have saw this thread yesterday

so do i just need to call the delearship and have them switch these out for me?

#12 ·
I went thru a car wash 2 weeks after buying my SLT. I didn't realize that the tape on the front of the roof rails was letting go. Half way thru the car wash I heard a loud bang from the roof. When I got out of the wash I noticed that one roof rail was pulled up by a brush in the wash cracking it. I took it to my dealer today for replacement and the service manager told me that Chrysler knows of the roof rail problem and that he will be ordering the new "modified" version of the roof rails............I'll let you know what happens. *****check your roof rails before you go into a carwash!

#13 ·
Picked up my Red SLT from the dealer service dept. today. They told me they installed the new modified version of the roof rails(They look the same to me). The seal in the front looks real good. I'll still be checking, especially if I decide to go thru a carwash again.

#14 ·
Like a fool I bought the new roof rails instead of going to dealer, There is a differance, The new ones have a slotted mounting holes with a removable reducer, The new rails don't come with instructions, The reducers must be removed so you will get full down force presure on the rail, If you don't you will have the same lifting problems as the old ones. If you do go to dealer, Make sure the tech is qualified.

#16 ·
Well, my first visit back to this forum since October. I thought that I must be the only one with an unsticking roof rack. I going to take mine in soon for the 12K and will see if they will do the upgrade. By the way, I hand wash, and don't use the rack for any load bearing. Thanks to all who have responded. Regards

#18 ·
yes, Give them a call and tell them it is lifting. The first time it is brought back they usually try to restick it down with more tape. It normally does not last but who knows. Good luck.

#19 ·
I took my Nitro in for routine service this morning expecting it to be completed quickly. When I called mid day for status I was informed the roof rails were being replaced (I have had no issues) not because of a recall but what they call a "rapid response". After reading many of the posts here it appears Dodge is proactively responding to the issues early owners had.

#20 ·
Same here and it is more involved than you might think. Mine is being taken to a Body Shop (my 5 Star Dealer does not have one) to have the studs that hold the roof rails replaced. Guess there has been problems with corrosion and maybe water leakage I'm told. Had a MOPAR CAI installed plus oil & filter service. When they called and told me of this non recall but rapid something, I too was very surprised. I told them to keep the Nitro that I did not need it this weekend, and they will perform what is needed Monday.This vehicle has had the replacement roof rails installed and thought Chrysler has given up on any further recalls or TSBs on our Nitros to save money on this slow selling vehicle.

Way-to-go Chrysler!

Thanks for your post harmonma!

#21 ·
Roof Rack

Kaz,

I was not a big fan of Chrysler products to begin with but my wife and I purchased a 2007 Nitro brand new. It was pretty good at first except for the usual cheap and poorly engineered interior. Visable seams in the dash board and overall poor quality. Soon we started hearing a noise and finally isolated it to the roof rack. Now both are pulling up on the front and it is over mileage by a few thousand miles.

I tried to change the brakes today and was unable to get it done. I have changed pads on my Land Rover, my wife's old BMW, Fords, Chevy's, and have had no problems. I am so disappointed with Chrysler's workmanship I vow to never by another one of their products again. In fact two people within the last week asked me about the Nitro and I told them to find another car and another car company.

Good Luck.:mad:

#22 ·
Roof rack issue was taken (and still is) care of with new designed rails and now new mounting studs under warranty. I added a complete new interior dash/ door panels with a wood inlay package (covered here) so I'm still very pleased with my purchase. Sorry you are unhappy with yours and having worked years ago I can tell you there are always those that are happy and those that are not and once they make that decision they don't change their mind. Next thing you will not want to have it washed or maintain it, so if you can it would be best to find a buyer (if possible) and move on. Just my opinion based on others.

#24 ·
After having had my third set of roof rails installed in May09, I was driving from upstate New York to just outside NYC (about 175 miles) in October. About half way into the trip, I started to hear that fimiliar tapping on the roof. When I got home, I completely removed the rails. I could not believe my eyes when I saw that all that was holding down the rails was a piece of double sided tape 3/8" x 1". Are they kidding! What a stupid design. I put heavy duty tape all over the front of the rails. So far so good......but why do we have to put up with this defect?

#25 ·
Continue to have problems with the roof rails

I am now on my thir set and I am now needing a fourth. I took it into the shop to get looked at was told it was 1k out of warranty. I just returned home from a 2k trip and just noticed the problem when I got home. So now they want me to pay for the replacement. What's more why pay for a defect in design. Will be calling corporate and lodge a complaint and see what happens. Such a waste of my time!

#26 ·
#27 ·
2007 Roof Racks

I just purchased a 2007 and I have the issue with the racks. I do not have a factory warranty left but has anyone had any luck getting this fixed for free since it is a defect? If not, I have heard purchasing the 2008 rails was a better choice but will the crossbars that fit the 2007 work with the 2008?
Has anyone tried sealing this to the roof with some sort of RTV or epoxy?

Thanks for the help.

#28 ·
I was feeling good (still am) about my Nitro which has been trouble free for it's 5K miles. I read about someone having problems with wind noise caused by the roof rack lifting up. Seems it is held in place by tape. Mine has lifted up on the drivers side. I haven't had any noise yet, and you have to look closely to see that the rack has become unstuck for about 3". So, I will get it in to have my dealer(who is excellent) deal with it next oil change. Take a close look at yours. Regards
If can anyone provide some guidance, it would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.