Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -
My step dad changed two broken wheel studs thanks tire store!) on the RR of my 07 Nitro last night and when I went to back it out of his shop, the ABS ESP and Traction Control lights were on (solid). Brakes work fine. He had to remove the brake caliper to get the rotor off. He knocked the broken studs back into the parking brake assembly and then was able to grab them and take them out before putting new studs in. He never unplugged the wheel speed sensor and moved the caliper out of the way so he could work. I'm taking it back to his (home) shop tomorrow so he can check to see if the sensor connection is loose or unplugged. If it isn't, I think he's been reading how to check for error codes using his OBD II tester or by cycling the key on and off 3 times (left on) to get a code.

He said when removing the caliper he inadvertently loosened up the two small diameter (2 piece?) bolts on top that appear to hold the pads in place before removing the 2 short but larger bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the mount. He couldn't tighten these as they would just turn and when he tried to put a wrench on the longer "pad bolts", the thickness of the wrench prevented it from sliding on the lower part of the bolts. As they weren't "that" loose, he let it go but intends to grind down the thickness of an old wrench so it will fit and tighten these up. Could this be why the lights are on?

He's hoping that it will be possible to clear the code(s) (if there are any) and shut off the lights.

Is it possible that the wheel speed sensor got nudged and moved out of alignment?

Please help! Thank you! :p

·
Super Moderator
23,016 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have arrived in the right place to have all of your Nitro questions answered. Hop on board, and enjoy the ride.

It is possible that the sensor got knocked out of position. The Truck is now confused because it may think that all of the wheels are not turning at the same speed!

Resetting the TIPM might do the trick! Let us know what you find out.

:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dhh3. Here's what old step dad did:

He put my Nitro up on his hoist and checked for loose wires at the RR wheel speed (ABS) sensor. All tight. Then he removed the bolt holding the sensor into the backing plate and .............. ooops! The sensor was destroyed. He thought that must have happened when he knocked the old broken wheel stud out of the hub causing it to hit the sensor (which is flimsy / fragile plastic). Note to others replacing broken wheel studs, put something behind the hub or remove the sensor FIRST before pounding out the broken stud).

He pulled the wheel and disc brake rotor / parking brake "hat" after removing the caliper mounting bolts and removing the caliper / pad assembly. He found 3 fairly large pieces of the sensor amid the parking brake mechanism and removed those. I drove over to NAPA Genuine Parts and purchased a new sensor for $19.99 and by the time I got back, dad had the rear wheel / brakes all back together, tire / wheel on and lugs torqued (110ft lbs). He fed the new sensor through the backing plate and put the bolt back in and torqued it. Hooked up the wires and let my Nitro down off the hoist.

(Oh, I'd had an oil change place do my last oil and filter and the filter leaked so he tightened up the filter with a tool he purchased (very difficult place to get to - atta boy Chrysler engineers!)

When I started the car, the lights were all on, but I backed out and headed to my hair appointment (gotta stay gorgeous! :p After driving about 1/2 block, the lights all went out. The system reset itself after it "found" the new wheel speed (ABS) sensor and now all is well. My total cost including 2 lug nuts and wheel studs plus sensor .......... ZERO! Step dad, about $30. He's the best!!!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Awesome! I love story's like this one. An early Christmas present.

:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would anyone know how to remove the speed sensor. We are trying to replace the sensor on our 2008 dodge nitro and are having problems removing the sensor. The bolt was removed and the sensor comes out part way and then will not come out any more. Is there something we are missing. We tried both sides and both sides do the same thing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those lights just came on tonight on our nitro. When to town for my sons swim lessons then left and the lights came on in less than 500 meters or so. Never touched any part of the wheels. How can a person isolate any of the sensors?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would anyone know how to remove the speed sensor. We are trying to replace the sensor on our 2008 dodge nitro and are having problems removing the sensor. The bolt was removed and the sensor comes out part way and then will not come out any more. Is there something we are missing. We tried both sides and both sides do the same thing

·
Super Moderator
23,016 Posts
Dodge Nitro rear ABS speed sensor troubleshooting and removal

GRANT hopefully this video will work. Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
rickaren
Dodge Nitro Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Dodge Nitro SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing