Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2007 Dodge nitro with 76000 miles on it 3.7 l alternator is working but when I hook computer to it it says slow charging it's not putting out enough to charge the battery why is that

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
Welcome!

Have you read our Sticky Dodge Nitro :Battery issues?

It could be the voltage regulator that is part of the alternator or even the battery! First simple answers. Nitro is really bad on batteries and they only last 3 years usually. Could be loose or dirty battery cables too. Belt need replacement? Let us know. Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
The most common reason for an alternator failing to charge a battery is one of them going bad. You can easily test the voltage by connecting a voltmeter to your battery while the engine is off. The voltage reading should be between 12 and 13 volts. You can automatically assume there’s a battery problem when the reading is lower.

In the event your battery’s good, start the vehicle and get the engine up to 2,000 RPM. This will put a lot more demand on the alternator. A decreasing voltage reading on your voltmeter indicates you have an alternator problem.

Nickyconklin

I posted another Article in the Dodge Nitro :Battery issues? (at the end #29) Bad Voltage Regulator Symptoms and I still think it must be the voltage regulator . Some automotive parts (Auto Zone) stores do a free battery/ alternator check. Free is good and that might help solve your issue.

Do you have any error codes or "dash check engine light" ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The most common reason for an alternator failing to charge a battery is one of them going bad. You can easily test the voltage by connecting a voltmeter to your battery while the engine is off. The voltage reading should be between 12 and 13 volts. You can automatically assume there’s a battery problem when the reading is lower.

In the event your battery’s good, start the vehicle and get the engine up to 2,000 RPM. This will put a lot more demand on the alternator. A decreasing voltage reading on your voltmeter indicates you have an alternator problem.

Nickyconklin

I posted another Article in the Dodge Nitro :Battery issues? (at the end #29) Bad Voltage Regulator Symptoms and I still think it must be the voltage regulator . Some automotive parts (Auto Zone) stores do a free battery/ alternator check. Free is good and that might help solve your issue.

Do you have any error codes or "dash check engine light" ?
No lights are on when I hook the computer to it it says slow charge

1 - 7 of 7 Posts