Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.8 CRD has a problem on the left rear wheel. |The rotor moves in and out about a quarter of an inch but otherwise feels secure. My mechanic says it's not the wheel bearing or the clip that holds the half shaft in at the differential end.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Super Moderator
26,391 Posts
Wow a mechanic that does not know how to fix your Nitro? You need a new mechanic.

Anything from a worn out axle, axle bearing, rear end fluid are posted on other sites as possible causes. Not much help, sorry. Please post a repair if you get that far. Thanks and Good Luck.

Here is a THREAD that might be helpful if you have not read it.
Dodge Nitro: Differential & Driveline Issues

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow a mechanic that does not know how to fix your Nitro? You need a new mechanic.

Anything from a worn out axle, axle bearing, rear end fluid are posted on other sites as possible causes. Not much help, sorry. Please post a repair if you get that far. Thanks and Good Luck.

Here is a THREAD that might be helpful if you have not read it.
Dodge Nitro: Differential & Driveline Issues
Hi Rick

I'm in the UK where mechanics are not familiar with US cars like the nitro. He's done quite a bit of research online but not with any good result and we don't now have any Dodge dealers since they stopped here in 2010. Fiat bought it but you've really got to search even to get parts..

The brake disc (rotor) moves a little as mentioned and there's a noise when in motion that sounds like a wheel bearing. If you put the car on a lift and spin the left rear wheel, it's silent, so bearing it isn't. It sounds worse when on a left hand bend and not at all when on a right hand bend. The problem seems to be between the disc and the diff. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
26,391 Posts
Hi Life-Man

Well I guess we agree that ANY movement in the rear brake rotor is dangerous and can cause Vibrations, Braking Issues, Severe mechanical damage in your wheel's system, Uneven Brake Pad Or Rotor Wear, ABS Failure, Grinding and Strange Noises. It can cause tire wear, fire and possible axle damage and replacement!

What I don't understand is a mechanic that says he does not know how to repair your Nitro? It has been my experience that If a mechanic says this or wants 1K to start repair, he does NOT want to repair your vehicle and to find another Repair Shop!

It is very clear that if you search "Online" US built Nitros have a high rate of wheel bearing failures. Your mechanic should have told you "Looks like we need to start with replacing that wheel bearing". Your issue is solved maybe 90% of the time with this repair! Sure there can be other causes like needing to replace the axle too, that maybe caused because of a wheel bearing. (see below)

I don't know how many miles your Nitro has on it but the bearing replacement of BOTH side rear bearings might be in order if you if you plan to keep your Nitro and should be an investment in it at long term lower costs.

Good Luck and let us know how it all works out.

Watch Font Auto part Jewellery Nickel

Nitro 2.8 crd 4x4 U.K. spec (rear axle)

·
Super Moderator
26,391 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts