1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SRT Motorsports - SRT Viper Cup Opener - Road Atlanta
April 12, 2012

SRT VIPER CUP SEASON OPENER THIS WEEKEND AT ROAD ATLANTA

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (Thursday, April 12, 2012) – The 2012 SRT Viper Cup Series season gets underway this weekend at Road Atlanta. Teams will compete at five challenging road courses in 2012 with each venue hosting two spec-series races. The series features the 2010 Dodge Viper ACR-X – the special-edition model of America’s ultimate sports car.

The SRT Viper Cup Series presented by Pennzoil Ultra, formerly the Dodge Viper Cup Series, is entering its third year of competition. The events are again sanctioned by the North America Road Racing Association (NARRA). In addition to Road Atlanta, the series will visit Road America (Elkhart Lake, Wis.), Virginia International Raceway (Alton, Va.), Monticello Motor Club (Monticello, N.Y.) and Watkins Glen International (Watkins Glen, N.Y.).

The series contingency program, sponsored by SRT, Mopar® and Michelin, the official tire of the series, provides payouts to the top-10 drivers at each race. Mopar vouchers are awarded as credit toward the purchase of Mopar parts and accessories. Michelin Tire Bucks serve as credit toward the purchase of Michelin tires.

The season begins with a revised rule package. Qualifying has been eliminated for the five scheduled Sunday events. Instead, the Sunday race fields will be set in reverse order of finish from the previous day.

"The SRT Viper Cup Series continues to offer a fantastic way for road-racing enthusiasts to compete in our ultimate American sports car," said Ralph Gilles – President and CEO, SRT and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC. "The 2010 Dodge Viper ACR-X is designed and built specifically for the race track by taking all the performance attributes of Viper to an even higher level for a wide range of drivers starting with the grassroots racer all the way up to the professional. And with the rule changes for the 2012 season such as the inverted race field for Sunday races along with the continuation of our celebrity driver program, the next chapter of Viper racing looks to be better than ever."

The popular celebrity driver program returns this season at all five venues. Set to battle the 2.54-mile, 12-turn Road Atlanta track will be author Burt Levy and pro football player/wrestler/actor Bill Goldberg. Their winnings will be donated directly to the official charity of the series – the National Breast Cancer Coalition. Donations will be made following each of the 10 races.

"We are exceedingly grateful to the SRT brand for selecting the National Breast Cancer Coalition as the official charity for its SRT Viper Cup Series in 2012," said Fran Visco, President of the National Breast Cancer Coalition. "These grassroots racing efforts play an important role in helping bring more national attention and support to Breast Cancer Deadline 2020®, our strategic plan of action to end breast cancer by January 1, 2020."

Entry List

Car No. Driver City
40 David Pintaric Canfield, Ohio
8 Jim Booth Charleston, S.C.
86 Ross Murray (practice only) Marina del Ray, Calif.
84 Kurt Solberger Dana Point, Calif.
13 Trevor Nelson Wimberley, Texas
18 Todd Nelson Buda, Texas
26 Marc Montour Blainville, Quebec
7 Louis-Philippe Montour Saint-Donat, Quebec
37 Eric Galerne Houston, Texas
33 Ben Keating Port Lavaca, Texas
3 David Mazyck Gainesville, Fla.
64 David Decker Parkland, Fla.

Celebrity Drivers
52 Bill Goldberg Not Available
53 Burt Levy Westchestire, Ill.

Weekend Schedule

Friday, April 13
9:30 a.m. – SRT Viper Cup Practice (first of five 30-minute practice sessions)

Saturday, April 14
10:20 a.m. – SRT Viper Cup Qualifying
1:05 p.m. – SRT Viper Cup Race (40 minutes)
1:50 p.m. – Trophy Presentation

Sunday, April 15
2:00 p.m. – SRT Viper Cup Race (40 minutes)
2:55 p.m. – Trophy Presentation

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SRT Motorsports - SRT Viper Cup Series Race Recap 2 - Road Atlanta
April 15, 2012 , BRASELTON, Ga., - BEN KEATING MAKES IT A SWEEP AT ROAD ATLANTA

Captures Both SRT Viper Cup Series Races; Receives Post-Race Point Penalty

BRASELTON, Ga. (Sunday, April 15, 2012) – Ben Keating made it a weekend sweep at Road Atlanta Sunday, winning the SRT Viper Cup Series presented by Pennzoil Ultra race. Keating won Saturday’s timed 25-minute race in impressive fashion and repeated the feat Sunday, coming from the rear of the field to win a 40-minute challenge of the 1.54-mile, 12 turn track.

Sunday’s starting grid was set in reverse order of Saturday’s finish, a rule change this year in the series. Keating started 10th. By lap five, he had cut the deficit in half and was up to second behind leader Eric Galerne when the only caution of the race appeared on lap 13. He grabbed the lead on lap 16 as racing resumed and continued to extend his advantage to the checkered flag. A total of 23 laps were completed in the timed event.

“It was an awesome race, but you didn’t get to see everything that went on in the race,” said Keating. “You’ll see it in the TV broadcast. I tried to make a pass on David Pintaric, got in the marbles and dirt and couldn’t brake enough. The car went through the gravel trap. It went through without damaging the car which is pretty hard to do. I got lucky there. Early on, I had a little contact with another car and had nowhere to go. The inverted start was a lot harder than I anticipated. Without that yellow in the middle, I’m not sure I would have caught Eric (Galerne).”

The TV video revealed more than Keating had counted on. A protest was lodged by Trevor Nelson after the race for contact between the two on the track. After video review, the Chief Stewart ruled the contact to be avoidable. As a result, Keating lost 32 points in the season standings. That leaves him five behind current leader Dave Pintaric, the runner-up to Keating in both races.

Keating is already looking ahead to the next challenge for the series – Road America. “I raced at Road Atlanta last October and have more track time here than David,” said Keating. “David has won SCCA run-offs there multiple times. I expect him to be the hot shoe there. I just hope I can challenge him a little bit.”

Pintaric doesn’t relish the runner-up role. “I’m tired of being a bridesmaid,” he said. “I’m tired of seeing ViperExchange.com Viper in front of me. I just have to drive my car better. I really didn’t have any problems today. It’s a SRT Viper. They’re flawless. They’re unstoppable. They’re phenomenal cars.”

Finishing third was Louis-Philippe Montour who called it “a very competitive race.”

Celebrity participants in both races during the weekend were author Burt Levy and pro football player/wrestler/actor Bill Goldberg in SRT Viper ACR-X cars. Their winnings are donated directly to the official charity of the series – the National Breast Cancer Coalition.

Levy, the more experienced driver, took honors both days over Goldberg. “For a big heavy car, these things are delightful to drive,” he said. “For a fast car, they do everything so progressively, so easily. I can’t tell you how impressed I am with the car and the group.”

Goldberg treasured the opportunity to spend two days racing. “I can’t express how appreciative I am to be a part of such a wonderful series/event with such wonderful people and unbelievable cars,” he said. “The Viper is the modern-day supercar. To be able to drive it at 160 mph at arguably the most beautiful road course in the world and come back home at the same time, man it brings me to tears. It’s an honor to be here.”

Race Results
SRT Viper Cup Series
Road Atlanta
Sunday, April 15, 2012

1. Ben Keating
2. David Pintaric
3. Louis-Philippe Montour
4. Jim Booth
5. Kurt Sollberger
6. Todd Nelson
7. David Mazyck
8. Marc Montour
9. Bert Levy (celebrity)
10. Trevor Nelson
11. Eric Galerne
12. Bill Goldberg (celebrity)
13. David Decker

SRT Viper Cup Series
Point Standings
(After 2 of 10 events)

1. David Pintaric 107
2. Ben Keating 102
3. David Mazyck 76
4. Jim Booth 73
5. Todd Nelson 62
6. Kurt Sollberger 62
7. Marc Montour 54
8. Trevor Nelson 50
9. Eric Galerne 44
10. Louis-Philippe Montour 42
11. David Decker 24

NOTE -- POINT PENALTY: During the race, contact was made between car #33 (Ben Keating) and car #13 (Trevor Nelson). After video review, the Chief Steward ruled it to be “avoidable” contact by car #33. The following penalties were assessed to car #33:
• A driver championship point penalty was levied, equivalent to the impact of a 20 second drive-through penalty at the completion of the race. Resulting point penalty: -32 points.
• A cash contingency penalty of $2000. The penalty will be redistributed to the official series charity by SRT Motorsports -- The National Breast Cancer Coalition.

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SRT Motorsports - Viper Cup Series Race Recap - Road America
May 13, 2012 , ELKHART LAKE, Wisc. - BEN KEATING KEEPS WINNING STREAK GOING AT ROAD AMERICA

Keating Wins Third Straight SRT Viper Cup Race; Ralph Gilles Finishes Third

ELKART LAKE, Wis. (Saturday, May 12, 2012) – Ben Keating collected his third straight victory in the SRT Viper Cup Series with a 3.6-second victory over Louis-Philippe Montour at Road America.

Ralph Gilles, making his first start of the season, finished third.

Keating, the No. 1 qualifier, led all 10 laps in the 25-minute timed event although Montour stayed within striking distance until Keating turned a lap almost a second faster than his challenger just four laps from the finish on the 14-turn, 4.048-mile circuit. That provided the leader a comfortable cushion.

“I didn’t get the best restart after the red flag,” said Keating, winner of both races at the season opener at Road Atlanta. “LP (Montour) was right there. I ran a couple hard laps and put together one that was comparable to a qualifying lap. Still, he was close. It was a good win.”

“Tomorrow will be tougher with the inverted field. The Viper Exchange.com Viper is looking forward to it. We’ll have two cars in the race; Jeff (Courtney) will start in front of me and there are good cars we’ll have to get around.”

Montour’s strategy was effective. “I’m happy to be second behind Ben Keating,” said the driver from Saint-Donat, Quebec. “I followed his line. When he brakes, I brake. I learn a lot when I follow Ben Keating.”

The SRT Viper Cup Series presented by Pennzoil Ultra consists of two events at each of the five hosts tracks. Tomorrow’s finale at Road America will be a 40-minute timed event.

Saturday’s race was red flagged on the opening lap when point leader Dave Pintaric was involved in an accident. Pintaric’s Viper went into the grass in the carousel, hooked and rolled. He was fine, but it was a different story for the No. 14 Viper. Also involved was Todd Nelson, but in a sequence that did not involve Pintaric.

“I went wide going out the carousel, got into the grass on the outside, hooked around and it rolled,” said Pintaric. “I’m OK. I might be able to run a marathon right now.

“We’ll see what’s available (another car to drive) out there. I’ve got a lot of things up in the air right now. I’ve got to assess everything. Ben is awful tough. Why kill ourselves? We’ll see what might be available.”

Keating had a good look at the action behind him as Pintaric started second and was ready to challenge for the lead as they entered the carousel. “I feel terrible with the first start,” he said. “David was right on my tail. I think he was looking to catch me coming out of the carousel. I was pushing really hard and where I was on the track may have blocked his view of the exit. I went up on the rumble strips and he went wide. It was a big hard hit; it’s a testament to the cars, how they’re built. It was one of the hardest hits I’ve seen.”

Gilles started sixth and found himself in heavy traffic throughout the 10-lap event. “Since we’ve started the Viper Cup program, the level of racing has gotten better and better. I drop in on this to kind of see what’s going on and test some new dynamic things we’re looking at for the Viper. I’m just amazed to see the level of competition. We had the incident there, but the guys are OK. It’s a testament to how safe the car is. David and Todd walked away. What a race. My heart was beating out of my chest the whole time.”

Gilles had nothing but high compliments for the race winner. “He’s unbelievable,” said Gilles. “He’s driven by something greater. Obviously, he has his eye on going pro some day and is putting in the time right now.

“The inverted field tomorrow will be something. This track is very fast, but actually very narrow. There’s a diversity of skill level from top to bottom. You have to be focused. It’s going to be interesting.”

Actor/stunt coordinator Darrin Prescott finished in front of former IndyCar driver Richie Hearn in the celebrity competition. Prescott finished 10th and Hearn 11th. Their winnings will be donated directly to the official charity of the series – the National Breast Cancer Coalition.

“That Viper is a monster,” said Prescott. “It’s so much fun to drive. Coming from the stunt world, it’s like nothing I’ve ever driven. It’s a monster, but handles so well. It’s predictable. I love it.”

It was Hearn’s first competition on the Road America course since 1999. “It was a lot of fun,” he said. “The car is fast. It moves around a lot, but handles great. I was racing with Ralph, but lost all drive coming off the last corner. I had a great time watching everybody.”

Race Results
SRT Viper Cup Series
Road America
Saturday, May 12, 2012

1. Ben Keating
2. Louis-Philippe Montour
3. RALPH GILLES
4. Jeff Courtney
5. Jim Booth
6. David Mazyck
7. Mark Montour
8. Trevor Nelson
9. Kurt Sollberger
10. Darrin Prescott (celebrity)
11. Richie Hearn (celebrity)
12. Todd Nelson
13. David Decker
14. David Pintaric

SRT Viper Cup Series
Presented by Pennzoil Ultra
Point Standings
(After 3 of 10 events)

1. Ben Keating 188
2. David Pintaric 118
3. Jim Booth 109
4. David Mazyck 108
5. Louis-Philippe Montour 98
6. Kurt Sollberger 88
7. Marc Montour 84
8. Trevor Nelson 78
9. Todd Nelson 62
10. Jeff Courtney 45
11. Eric Galerne 44
12. David Decker 24

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SRT Motorsports - Viper Cup Series - Road America Round 2
May 13, 2012 , ELKHART LAKE, Wisc. - BEN KEATING WINS FOURTH STRAIGHT SRT VIPER CUP SERIES EVENT

Keating Sweeps Both Races at Road America; Builds Point Lead

ELKART LAKE, Wis. (Sunday, May 13, 2012) – Last year, the SRT Viper Cup Series presented by Pennzoil Ultra championship went down to the final event of the season at Daytona International Speedway before Texan Ben Keating clinched the title. It’s a different story in 2012.

Keating remains unbeaten this season after sweeping both events during the weekend at Road America just as he did in the season-opener at Road Atlanta. Keating’s margin of victory on the 14-turn, 4.048-mile circuit was 7.5 seconds over former IndyCar driver Richie Hearn. Keating’s teammate Jeff Courtney was third.

While Keating was making his drive to victory look easy, there was intense competition from fourth through eighth. Ralph Gilles, third in Saturday’s race, just missed a podium finish. He ended up fourth followed by Jim Booth in fifth.

The inverted field from the previous day’s finish proved to be only a temporary obstacle for Keating. He was up to second after two laps and took the lead on the third. He led the final 11 laps.

“I don’t like that last race stuff,” said Keating referring to clinching the 2011 championship. “This gives me a pretty good advantage, but we still have a lot of racing left. David (Pintaric) was the closest to me in points, but after he crashed yesterday, that opened things up a little.

“I’ve only been driving six years and I’ve changed a lot over those six years. My first season, I didn’t get a podium finish. It’s a matter of learning the car, getting the setup right and being a smart driver. When I get somebody in front of me, I get more focused, more competitive. I’m one of the most competitive guys I know. Everybody has to have a vice and this is mine. I’m going to do it well.”

Contact as the field took the green flag from a standing start proved costly for Hearn. His left front fender was damaged. “The damage just killed my aero and that killed my tires. I wasn’t going to catch Ben and didn’t see anybody close behind, so I made sure I made it to the end.”

Courtney also had a bad start that left him at the back of the field entering Turn 1. “I was disappointed with the start I got,” he said. “It was a bad start, a real good middle run and then I got a little lazy toward the end. I was hoping to get up there and run with Ben. This track is just an hour from my home, so I appreciate Ben giving me the opportunity to come up and race.”

Gilles finished third in Saturday’s race and was challenging Courtney for a podium finish in the closing laps Sunday. “That was easily the busiest race of my life,” said Gilles. “It’s the first time I’ve ever run a race with the field inverted. Everybody was very fast, very technical. In my case, we were probably a little low on tire pressure at the start. It finally came in and I started putting down some great laps. I was able to close in on Courtney, but couldn’t make the pass. It was smart racing as everyone gave each other room. This SRT Viper has depth. No matter how hard you drive it, it’s there for you.”

Stunt coordinator/actor Darrin Prescott, the second celebrity driver along with Hearn, won’t soon forget his weekend at Road America. “This is one of the best things I’ve ever done in my entire life,” said Prescott. “It’s so much fun. These guys are so fast, so fast. The course is so challenging and everything is happening three times as fast as what I’m used to. I was going at my limit and these guys are so far ahead of me. The car is so predictable. It’s all car; the only thing holding it back was me.”

Race Results
SRT Viper Cup Series
Road America
(Race 4 of 10)

1. Ben Keating
2. Richie Hearn
3. Jeff Courtney
4. RALPH GILLES
5. Jim Booth
6. Louis-Philippe Montour
7. Kurt Sollberger
8. David Mazyck
9. Marc Montour
10. Darrin Prescott

SRT Viper Cup Series
Point Standings
(After 4 of 10 events)

1. Ben Keating 248
2. Jim Booth -99
3. David Mazyck -110
4. Louis-Philippe Montour -116
5. Kurt Sollberger -120
6. David Pintaric -130
7. Marc Montour -136
8. Jeff Courtney -155
9. Trevor Nelson -170
10. Todd Nelson -186

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

May 15, 2012 by DriveSRT

America's most venomous racing series commences year three of competition at Road Atlanta. Round one of the 2012 season is packed with action from green flag to checkered.

SRT represents the pinnacle of performance engineering within the Chrysler Group. Join us as we journey to the limit at driveSRT.com.

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

May 17, 2012 by DriveSRT

America's most venomous racing series commences year three of competition at Road Atlanta. Round two of the 2012 season is packed with action from green flag to checkered.

SRT represents the pinnacle of performance engineering within the Chrysler Group. Join us as we journey to the limit at driveSRT.com.

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Jun 7, 2012 by DriveSRT

America's most venomous racing series commences competition at Road America. Round three of the 2012 season is packed with action from green flag to checkered.

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Jun 28, 2012 by DriveSRT

America's most venomous racing series commences competition at Road America. Round four of the 2012 season is packed with action from green flag to checkered.

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SRT Motorsports - SRT Viper Cup Series Advance - Virginia International Raceway
SRT VIPER CUP SERIES VISITS VIRGINIA INT’L RACEWAY THIS WEEKEND

Texan Ben Keating Unbeaten This Season; Will Miss Friday Practice
July 5, 2012 , Auburn Hills, Mich. -

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (Wednesday, July 4, 2012) – The SRT Viper Cup Series presented by Pennzoil Ultra visits popular Virginia International Raceway (VIR) in Alton, Va., this weekend, the third stop on the 2012 schedule. Regarded as one of the best road-course facilities in America, drivers will compete on the 3.27-mile, 17-turn full course.

Texan Ben Keating has launched his quest for a second consecutive SRT Viper Cup Series championship in impressive fashion. He’s unbeaten after stops at Road Atlanta and Road America – four wins. Drivers get a pair of chances this weekend to derail Keating’s march to the championship. Two races are on the schedule -- a 25-minute timed event on Saturday and a 35-minute timed event on Sunday. Teams qualify for starting spots in Saturday’s race while Sunday’s field is set in reverse order of the finish from the previous day.

Keating is anxious to return to VIR. “It’s my favorite race track in the country and there are some great race tracks around,” he said. “It’s just a fun place to race. It has so many incredible elements. It’s a safe track. You can relax and have fun.”

The six 30-minute practice sessions scheduled for Friday may provide his competitors an opportunity for an upset, especially on Saturday. Keating has another commitment and will not be at VIR on Friday. Instead, he will arrive in time for one practice session on Saturday in his No. 33 ViperExchange.com Viper ACR-X before qualifying and the first race of the weekend.

“The weekend is going to be interesting for me as I won’t be at the track on Friday,” said Keating. “Racing other people that have had a full day of practice is going to be a little different ballgame. I’ll get up to speed by Sunday for sure. I don’t know if I can get it done with one practice session on Saturday before qualifying and the race.”

Keating isn’t totally unarmed. His second car will be driven by Bernie Katz during the weekend. It’s a good bet Katz will log plenty of track time on Friday and have valuable information for his teammate when he does arrive at the track.

Who does Keating expect to provide the toughest challenge? “Everybody in the race after drivers get that full day of practice on Friday,” he said. He also points to David Mazyck, an Associate Professor at the University of Florida. “I don’t know what he’s done, but he’s shown great improvement,” Keating said. “He qualifies well and runs well, much better this year than the last couple of years. It’s very impressive. He’s come a long way. The more practice he gets up there at the front of the field, the better his race craft becomes as well.”

Keating holds a 99-point lead over Jim Booth with Mazyck in third, 110 points back. Dave Pintaric returns to competition this weekend with a new ride. His car was damaged beyond repair in a mishap during the Saturday race at Road America.

The series features the 2010 Dodge Viper ACR-X – the special-edition model of America’s ultimate sports car. The series, formerly the Dodge Viper Cup Series, is entering its third year of competition. The event is sanctioned by the North America Road Racing Association (NARRA). After this weekend’s visit to VIR, the series travels to Monticello (N.Y.) Motor Club and Watkins Glen (N.Y.) International to complete the 10-race series.

The popular celebrity driver program is back this season. Set to battle at VIR this weekend are drivers with plenty of road racing experience – Tommy Kendall and Shane Lewis. Their winnings will be donated directly to the official charity of the series – the National Breast Cancer Coalition.

"We are exceedingly grateful to the SRT brand for selecting the National Breast Cancer Coalition as the official charity for its SRT Viper Cup Series in 2012," said Fran Visco, President of the National Breast Cancer Coalition. "These grassroots racing efforts play an important role in helping bring more national attention and support to Breast Cancer Deadline 2020®, our strategic plan of action to end breast cancer by January 1, 2020."

Entry List
Car No. Driver City

22 Tim Hund Norfolk, Va.
32 Bernie Katz Tomball, Texas
84 Kurt Sollberger Dana Point, Calif.
86 Ross Murray Marina del Ray, Calif.

Celebrity Drivers
52 Tommy Kendall New Smyrna, Fla.
53 Shane Lewis Jupiter, Fla.

Point Standings
SRT Viper Cup Series
(After 4 of 10 events)

1. Ben Keating 248
2. Jim Booth -99
3. David Mazyck -110
4. Louis-Philippe Montour -116
5. Kurt Solberger -128
6. David Pintaric -130
7. Marc Montour -136
8. Jeff Courtney -155
9. Trevor Nelson -170
10. Todd Nelson -186

Weekend Schedule
(All times local)
Friday, July 6

9:30 a.m. – SRT Viper Cup Practice (first of six 30-minute practice sessions)

Saturday, July 7
8:50 a.m. – SRT Viper Cup Practice (30 minutes)
11:00 a.m. – SRT Viper Cup Qualifying
2:15 p.m. – SRT Viper Cup Race (25 minutes)
2:55 p.m. – Trophy Presentation

Sunday, July 8
8:30 a.m. – SRT Viper Cup Practice (30 minutes)
10:35 a.m. – SRT Viper Cup Practice (25 minutes)
2:00 p.m. – SRT Viper Cup Race (35 minutes)
2:50 p.m. – Trophy Presentation

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SRT Motorsports - SRT Viper Cup Race Recap - VIR
SHANE LEWIS COMPLETES WEEKEND SWEEP AT VIRGINIA INT’L RACEWAY

Lewis Capitalizes on Tommy Kendall’s Misfortune to Win Sunday’s SRT Viper Cup Race

July 9, 2012 , Alton, Va. -

ALTON, Va. (Sunday, July 8, 2012) – Shane Lewis made it a weekend sweep in SRT Viper Cup Series competition Sunday at Virginia International Raceway with his second win in as many days. Lewis took advantage of Tommy Kendall’s misfortune on the final lap to capture the victory.

Lewis and Kendall were the celebrity entries for the weekend driving Viper ACR-X’s prepared by Cindi Lux and the Lux Performance Group.

Both Lewis and Kendall started at the back of the field Sunday as the grid was set in reverse order of Saturday’s finish. Kendall had mechanical problems Saturday and did not complete 75 percent of the laps, so he didn’t have the advantage of the inversion.

Kendall grabbed the race lead at the halfway mark of the 35-minute timed event and was in command when the field took the white flag to start the 18th lap around the 3.270-mile, 17-turn course. However, all was not well inside the cockpit.

“We started running out of fuel with three to go,” said Kendall. “I didn’t know how long it would go before it ran out, so I was short shifting and to make up for it, I was really driving hard on the brakes, really using the tires which were 35-minutes old. I dumped the wheel on the outside (Turn 14) and did a spin. I lost about as little ground as you could do but I’m still very disappointed.

“I’m pleased with 99 percent of the race today, but the only lap that pays is the last one. It’s hard not to be disappointed. We were close to a perfect weekend. I had a pole, Shane won yesterday and we were looking for a win today. I’m rusty. That’s what happens when you don’t drive every weekend. It was a perfect weekend for Lux Performance. Shane was there to pick up the pieces today. I would be lying if I didn’t say I wasn’t disappointed.”

While Kendall was disappointed, Lewis was a bit shocked with the outcome as he had issues with the heat and had slowed during the middle part of the race.

“Today, I had to really, really work for it. Two goals – keep the car clean, I didn’t want to put a scratch on the car, and with track temperatures this hot, I was determined to take care of the equipment and the tires. At one point, I actually backed out to conserve the car a little bit. I was hoping the leaders would come to me and they sure did. The strategy paid off and we brought home a victory.”

The temperature had reached 101 when the field took the green flag just past 2 p.m.

“It’s the hottest track temperatures I’ve ever run at,” said Lewis. “Every driver here did an awesome job. It’s a testament to the Viper. Any other car would have overheated, blown up, but this car ran flawless. Starting from the back, I just tried to pace it. I was ready to settle for third and then Jim and Tommy had problems.”

Jim Booth, the early race leader, also had fuel issues but finished second. “I was P2 behind Kendall, but having a fuel issue and lost the spot to Shane just before Kendall spun,” he said. “On the downhill, it picked up the fuel again and I sputtered to the finish. I’m happy, P7 to P2, I’ll take that any time. I had some inspiration out in front of me in Kendall and Lewis. I drove to a level I haven’t driven before…the results speak to that.”

Another driver having a banner day was Louis-Philippe Montour who finished fourth. “It was the most exciting race of my life,” said Montour. I was patient. This is awesome.”

Although Ben Keating’s winning streak was snapped at four, he still has a comfortable lead in the season standings with four races remaining. “It was a good race, a very close race which made it fun, said Keating. “It was unbelievable hot. About three or four laps into the race, I looked down and my engine was pegged in red, overheating. At the time I was in fourth. I just decided the smartest thing to do was back off, get the best finish I could instead of a DNF and a blown engine. I was able to get third. That’s great. I’m happy. It was a good race.”

Race Results
SRT Viper Cup Series
(35-Minute Timed Race)
Virginia Int'l Raceway
Sunday, July 8, 2012

1. Shane Lewis
2. Jim Booth
3. Tommy Kendall
4. Louis-Philippe Montour
5. Ben Keating
6. Kurt Solberger
7. David Mazyck
8. Marc Montour
9. Bernie Katz
10. David Pintaric
11. Tim Hund

SRT Viper Cup Series
Point Standings
(After 6 of 10 events)

1. Ben Keating 362
2. Jim Booth 265
3. Louis-Philippe Montour 225
4. David Mazyck 204
5. Kurt Solberger 199
6. David Pintaric 170
7. Marc Montour 170
8. Jeff Courtney 93
9. Trevor Nelson 78
10. Todd Nelson 62

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SRT Motorsports - Bomarito Signs With SRT Motorsports Viper GTS-R Team, Driver Roster Complete for 2012

Jonathan Bomarito Signs With SRT Motorsports Viper GTS-R Team; Driver Roster Complete for 2012

• Bomarito joins Ryan Hunter-Reay as second endurance race specialist

• Two-car team driver lineups set for Aug. 4 American Le Mans Series race debut at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course

July 25, 2012 , Auburn Hills, Mich. -

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (July 25, 2012) – Jonathan Bomarito is the final driver to join the Street and Racing Technology (SRT) Motorsports Viper GTS-R team that will compete in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) in 2012.

The 30-year-old Monterey, Calif., resident is racing full time in the Grand Am Rolex Sports Car Series GT class in 2012 and has one race win this season at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Ala. In his first full season in Grand Am in 2010, Bomarito won the 24 Hours of Daytona driving a car with a race chassis built by SRT Motorsports team partner Riley Technologies, owned by Bill Riley. Following the 2010 season, he was named the Rookie of the Year after placing third in the driver’s championship point’s standings.

Bomarito will join Andretti Autosport/IndyCar Series star Ryan Hunter-Reay when the team expands driver slots for the longer-elapsed time/extended-distance endurance events. Both drivers will make their debuts with the SRT Motorsports team at the Petit Le Mans race (1,000 miles or 10 hours) at Road Atlanta in Braselton, Ga. on Oct. 20.

“The addition of an experienced road racer like Jonathan Bomarito solidifies our team for competition in longer endurance events,” said Beth Paretta, Director of Marketing and Operations – SRT Brand and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC. “With our roster of drivers complete, we can now turn our total focus to the team debut race at Mid-Ohio. We’re excited to begin adding to the storied history of the Viper in ALMS competition.”

Bomarito said it is a huge opportunity to be a part of the newest SRT Motorsports program.

“Getting to run in a few of these big races has been a huge goal of mine as a driver,” Bomarito said. “To be a part of SRT Motorsports and Riley Technologies, two huge companies in the motorsports world, is definitely a major add for my resume. I’m very, very excited to be part of a program like this.

“My goal is to go out and perform to the best of my capabilities. It’s the first year for this program and when you’re coming in as the third driver, you really just have to try to absorb as much as possible as quickly as possible and do your best to gel with everybody seamlessly.”

Bomarito joins the five other team drivers previously announced including Dominik Farnbacher, from Ansbach, Germany; Marc Goossens from Geel, Belgium; Kuno Wittmer from Montreal; and Americans Tommy Kendall who now resides in New Smyrna Beach, Fla., and Hunter-Reay from Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

The driver lineup for the Aug. 4 ALMS debut race at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course will be Kendall and Goossens in the No. 93 Pennzoil Ultra SRT Viper GTS-R; while Wittmer and Farnbacher will share the seat in the No. 91 Forza Motorsports SRT Viper GTS-R.

SRT Viper GTS-R returns
SRT Motorsports has partnered with Riley Technologies, based in Mooresville, N.C., on the design-and-build process of the new SRT Viper GTS-R race cars. The two identical SRT Viper GTS-R cars will compete in the production-based GT class in the series. The GT class consists of production-based, moderately modified two-wheel-drive race cars. The SRT Viper GTS-R cars will be competing against the Aston Martin Vantage, BMW M3 GT, Corvette C6.R, Ferrari F458 Italia, Lotus Evora and Porsche 911 GT3 RSR.

The GT class cars share many styling similarities to their showroom brands and by series’ rules must have a minimum weight of 2,745 pounds. The cars produce between 450-500 horsepower with top speeds of up to 180 mph.

“We completed a very successful testing program including a two-day session at Virginia International Raceway recently,” said Gary Johnson, Road Racing Manager – SRT Motorsports. “We’re pleased with the progress, but the real test comes at Mid-Ohio. That’s where we’ll begin to learn where we stack up against the competition.”

Following the limited schedule this season, the SRT Motorsports team will compete full time in the ALMS in 2013.

About SRT Motorsports
The engineering expertise within SRT extends well beyond our street vehicles. It is a little known fact, but technical support for the Chrysler Group's motorsports program is provided by the astute engineers at SRT. Lessons learned on the track directly translate to improved vehicles for our customers. SRT Motorsports is expanding its racing presence this year and look for more news from pit lane.

About SRT
The Chrysler Group’s Street and Racing Technology (SRT) brand uses a successful product development formula featuring five proven hallmarks: awe-inspiring powertrains; outstanding ride, handling and capability; benchmark braking; aggressive and functional exteriors and race-inspired and high-performance interiors to remain true to its performance roots.

The expansion of the SRT vehicle lineup in the 2012 model year features four new products that are world-class performance contenders and bring the latest in safety technologies and creature comforts. These products include the Chrysler 300 SRT8, Dodge Challenger SRT8 392, Dodge Charger SRT8 and Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.

Making its highly anticipated return to the high-performance sports car market in late 2012 is the new 2013 SRT Viper and SRT Viper GTS. The SRT flagship performance machines arrive with more power and performance, superior craftsmanship, new technologies and creature comforts.

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SRT Motorsports - Viper Cup Series Race Recap - Monticello Motor Park
August 25, 2012 , MONTICELLO, N.Y.
- KEATING WINS IN VIPER CUP SERIES EVENT AT MONTICELLO MOTOR CLUB

MONTICELLO, N.Y. (Saturday, Aug. 25, 2012) – Veteran road racer Ben Keating turned in an impressive performance Saturday afternoon at Monticello Motor Club, posting his fifth win of the season in Round 7 of the 10-race SRT Viper Cup Series presented by Pennzoil Ultra.

Keating’s No. 33 Viper Exchange.com Viper ACR-X started from the pole and led all 10 laps contested during the 25-minute timed race on the picturesque 3.6-mile road course. Joining Keating on the podium were Louis-Philippe Montour (runner-up) and celebrity driver Peter Klutt (third-place).

Starting from the point, Keating never wavered from the lead despite getting early pressure from both Jim Booth and Ralph Gilles. Keating was able to take advantage of hard racing behind him when Booth and the Gilles made contact under heavy braking. That gave Keating the advantage he needed to earn victory.

“It wasn’t as comfortable a win as it may have looked,” he said. “I got lucky enough to get a really good start and get out in front of Jim (Booth) and Ralph (Gilles). Both of them were fighting for position and that allowed me to get a lead that I could hold on to. There was a lot of great racing today. I got lucky.”

Louis-Philippe Montour pounced on an opportunity during lap four when the No. 8 Viper ACR-X of Booth and No. 1 SRT Motorsports/Pennzoil Ultra Viper ACR-X of Gilles touched fenders under heavy braking. The contact allowed Montour to move up to challenge for a podium finish. He ended up second.

“My car was fantastic,” said Montour. “It’s a difficult track and all the drivers are at the same level of competition. It was the first time to race this Viper here and I’m happy that I could be so successful.”

Peter Klutt, the Canadian-based TV personality and President of Legendary Motorcar, started fourth and pounced on the Booth-Gilles contact to advance to second before finishing third at the checkered flag.

“What a race car!” said Klutt. “I tried to be patient and control my nerves because these Viper ACX-R’s are so powerful.

“I had a great race with Ralph (Gilles) for a while until he got together with someone, which opened the door for me. I got all excited and missed third gear on the straightaway and Louis-Philippe (Montour) got by or I had a shot at runner-up. That’s racing.”

Legendary racer and motorsports Hall of Fame inductee Elliott Forbes-Robinson showed why he is still one of the sport’s all-time greats. Despite limited track time on the very technical 18-turn road course, Forbes-Robinson qualified his No. 52 Pennzoil Ultra, Lux Performance Viper ACR-X in seventh position and raced to a fourth-place finish.

“I had a great time today,” said Forbes-Robinson. “Unfortunately, we would have done better if the driver had done a better job (laughs). The Viper was fantastic. I missed a couple shifts trying to shift too fast a few times. I had a great car. It was fun to drive. I was able to drive by some guys and get a top-four. This is a real hoot.”

Round 8 will take place tomorrow at MMC. The field will be inverted for the 35-minute timed event.

Race Results
SRT Viper Cup Series
Monticello Motor Club
Saturday, Aug. 25, 2012

1. Ben Keating
2. Louis-Philippe Montour
3. Peter Klutt
4. Elliott Forbes-Robinson
5. Jim Booth
6. Ralph Gilles
7. Marc Montour
8. David Maczyk
9. Kurt Sollberger

SRT Viper Cup Series Driver Standings (after Round 7 of 10)
1. Ben Keating 436 points
2. Jim Booth 316
3. LP Montour 278
4. David Maczyk 238
5. Kurt Sollberger 237
6. Marc Montour 204
7. David Pintaric 170
8. Jeff Courtney 93
9. Trevor Nelson 78
10. Todd Nelson 62

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SRT Motorsports - Viper Cup Series Race Recap - Monticello

August 26, 2012 , MONTICELLO, N.Y.

Loius-Phillipe Montour capped off an impressive weekend at Monticello Motor Club, winning Round 8 of the SRT Viper Cup Series presented by Pennzoil Ultra.

Montour finished runner-up in Saturday’s timed 25-minute race and one-upped the feat Sunday, coming from the rear of the field to win the 35-minute timed event at the 3.6-mile, 18-turn road course.

“Fantastic!” said Montour from victory lane. “It was my goal from the start of this series to earn victory lane and today was the day. The car was fantastic. I raced hard with Ralph (Gilles) and was able to hold on to the lead the last several laps. It feels great to win in such a great race car.”

Gilles was equally impressive, earning a runner-up finish after starting fourth. Gilles used an explosive start to grab two positions as he drove the No. 01 SRT Motorsports Viper ACR-X into Turn 1. From there, the race turned into a battle between Gilles and Montour.

“The level of racing has consistently risen and gotten tighter and tighter,” said Gilles. “Here’s a young kid (Louis-Phillipe Montour) who was just learning a couple of years ago and now he’s almost at a pro level. It’s quite impressive.”

Gilles had an up-close look at Montour’s performance the entire race as the two battled from the drop of the green flag to the end of the race. Montour grabbed the early lead but was run down by Gilles on lap five when the two went door-to-door heading into Turn 1. Montour was able to hold off challenge and pulled away to a winning margin of 5.701 seconds.

“It was an awesome battle,” added Gilles. “L-P is really a clean driver. He’s predictable. I knew exactly what lines he was going to take, he was just so darn fast.”

Rounding out the podium was Jim Booth, who started mid-pack, gained two positions on the first lap and maintained his spot for the remainder of the 14-lap contest.

Celebrity driver Peter Klutt just missed back-to-back podium finishes as the Canadian-based TV personality finished fourth. Hall of Fame racer Elliott Forbes-Robinson was fifth.

Series point leader Ben Keating suffered a flat left-front tire midway through the contest forcing the five-time winner to pit under green. He finished eighth.

The final rounds of the 2012 Viper Cup Series will take place October 20-21 at Watkins Glen International

Race Results
SRT Viper Cup Series
presented by Pennzoil Ultra
(Round 8 of 10)
Monticello Motor Club
Sunday, Aug. 26, 2012

1. Louis-Phillipe Montour
2. Ralph Gilles
3. Jim Booth
4. Peter Klutt
5. Elliott-Forbes Robinson
6. Marc Montour
7. Kurt Sollberger
8. Ben Keating
9. David Mazyck

SRT Viper Cup Series
Driver Standings
(After round 8 of 10)

1. Ben Keating 468 points
2. Jim Booth 364
3. LP Montour 338
4. Kurt Sollberger 271
5. Marc Montour 244
6. David Mazyck 238
7. David Pintaric 170
8. Jeff Courtney 93
9. Trevor Nelson 78
10. Todd Nelson 62

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SRT Motorsports - Keating Firmly in Control in Quest of Second Consecutive SRT Viper Cup Series Championship
October 18, 2012 , Watkins Glen, N.Y. -

SRT VIPER CUP SERIES SEASON FINALE AT WATKINS GLEN THIS WEEKEND

Ben Keating Firmly in Control in Quest of Second Consecutive Championship

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. (Thursday, Oct. 18, 2012) – Ben Keating’s quest for a second consecutive SRT Viper Cup Series championship is well within his grasp as teams head to Watkins Glen International for the season finale this weekend.

Keating has posted five wins in the first eight rounds of competition, including four straight to open the season. He holds a 104-point advantage over Jim Booth. Despite the point advantage, there’s a bit of good news for the competition. Keating will miss Friday’s four 30-minute practice sessions.

“I would say the biggest challenge for me is the fact that I am going to miss the Friday practice day, so all of my competitors will have had a full day on the track before I get there,” said Keating. “I get one practice session Saturday morning before qualifying. That’s the biggest challenge.”

It’s doubtful it will take Keating long to get the No. 33 Viper Exchange.com Viper ACR-X up to speed. He competed at The Glen earlier this year. “I raced in the Six Hours at The Glen this past July with Grand-Am, so I have run there this year. It’s not a very forgiving track. You can’t make a big mistake and come out okay. It’s a long track with lots of different elements. The Viper ought to perform extremely well there. It’s one of the classic tracks in the United States.”

The weekend includes two timed races: a 25-minute event on Saturday and a 35-minute race on Sunday. Teams qualify for starting spots in Saturday’s event with Sunday’s lineup set in reverse order of the finish from the previous day.

What is Keating’s strategy to defend his championship? “I approach it like any other weekend,” he said. “I need about 30 points to clinch the championship. I think as long as I finish 75 percent of the laps on both days, even if I got last place on both days, I think I could clinch. That’s not my strategy. My strategy is going to be to go out and win.

“If I can win on Saturday or come close, I should gain enough points to clinch. I’m going to go for a win on Saturday and then my finish on Saturday will determine what my strategy is on Sunday. If I clinch on Saturday, then I’m going to go out and race for a win on Sunday. If something happens on Saturday, then I’m going to race conservatively for a championship on Sunday.”

Booth has been “Mr. Consistent” this season, recording eight consecutive top-five finish. He holds a 26-point advantage over Louis-Phillipe Montour who won the most recent event at Monticello Motor Club to jump to third in the standings.

“The reason we race in the Viper Cup Series is we love it,” said Keating. “None of us are getting paid to drive these cars; the reason you do it is because you love it. It’s a good group of people. We spend quite a bit of time together throughout the year and become good friends. It’s good competition, extremely competitive. And, it’s a lot of fun.”

With the stop at Watkins Glen, the series has visited five road courses this season with each venue hosting two races featuring the 2010 Dodge Viper ACR-X – the special-edition model of America’s ultimate sports car. The series, formerly the Dodge Viper Cup Series, is completing its third year of competition. The events have been sanctioned by the North America Road Racing Association (NARRA).

“The SRT Viper Cup Series offers a fantastic way for road-racing enthusiasts to compete in our ultimate American sports car,” said Ralph Gilles – President and CEO, SRT and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC. “The 2010 Dodge Viper ACR-X is designed and built specifically for the race track by taking all the performance attributes of Viper to an even higher level for a wide range of drivers starting with the grassroots racer all the way up to the professional.”

The popular celebrity driver program has a different twist for the season finale. Set to battle the Watkins Glen course will be motorcyclist Scott Parker, winner of 94 races and a nine-time American Motorcycle Association Grand National Champion, and freestyle motocross rider Andy Bell who also starred in the Nitro Circus DVDs and television series on MTV. The pair has minimal experience in four-wheel racing. They will drive Viper ACR-Xs prepared by Lux Performance. Their winnings will be donated directly to the official charity of the series – the National Breast Cancer Coalition.

Entry List
Car No. Driver
City
86 Ross Murray Marina del Ray, Calif.
84 Kurt Sollberger Dana Point, Calif.
59 A.J. Morgan Darien, Ill.

Celebrity Drivers
52 Andy Bell Long Beach, Calif.
53 Scott Parker Swartz Creek, Mich.

Weekend Schedule
(all times local)

Friday, Oct. 19
9:30 a.m. – SRT Viper Cup Practice (first of four 30-minute practice sessions)

Saturday, Oct. 20
8:15 a.m. – SRT Viper Cup Practice (30 minutes)
10:20 a.m. – SRT Viper Cup Qualifying
1:05 p.m. – SRT Viper Cup Race (25-minute timed race)
1:50 p.m. – Trophy Presentation

Sunday, Oct. 21
8:15 a.m. – SRT Viper Cup Practice (30 minutes)
10:20 a.m. – SRT Viper Cup Practice (20 minutes)
1:05 p.m. – SRT Viper Cup Race (35-minute timed race)
1:55 p.m. – Trophy Presentation

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SRT Motorsports - SRT Viper Cup Post-Race Quotes - Watkins Glen
October 20, 2012 , Watkins Glen, N.Y. -

Ben Keating (No. 33 Viper Exchange.com/Tomball Dodge Viper ACR-X) Finished 2nd, Clinched Championship
CONGRATULATIONS ON CLINCHING THE SRT VIPER CUP CHAMPIONSHIP. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN TO YOU? “For ViperExchange.com it means a lot. We’re the number one volume Viper dealer in the nation for the last two years also and I believe it makes a difference: win on Sunday, sell on Monday. It always helps to have the dealership name out there among the Viper nation in the news. And so it means a ton both to me personally to follow-up and defend the title from last year but professionally also. It’s a big deal.”

YOU WON THE POLE AND LED THE FIRST FOUR LAPS OF THE RACE. “I think the top three cars didn’t have very good starts. Jim Booth, who was in fourth, had a really good start. You know cold tires and a cold track, you had a little bit more wheel spin than what we’re used to. Jim got a great start and jumped out there in second place, which helped me a ton. It slowed LP (Louis-Phillippe Montour) down a little bit and let me get a little bit of a lead. I drove a clean race and I didn’t have anything for LP. I think he has a little bit better setup and he drove perfectly. He was smooth as could be. The big news is that we just wanted to run a clean race. We wanted ViperExchange.com back as the championship. We were racing for a championship more than anything else here. Now that that’s done we can run a little harder tomorrow and not worry about it and just go out and have fun.”

DID YOU THINK YOU COULD CATCH MONTOUR IN THE CLOSING LAPS OF THE RACE? “I mean, I was running hard. For a little while I was taking about two tenths (of a second) off of his lead for the last four laps and then second to last lap I think I made a mistake and gave it all back to him. It was somewhere around two seconds from then on. I was running pretty hard but didn’t have anything for him.”

Louis-Phillippe Montour (No. 7 LEBON Viper ACR-X) Race Winner
“It was a fun race. I missed a couple apexes in the corners a little bit but I stayed concentrated and everything was good. It was a fun race and this is a beautiful track. I thought I could catch Ben (laughs). It’s a big win. I finally passed Ben Keating. Everything was good for me today. Concentrate on the racing line and everything will be perfect tomorrow.”

A.J. Morgan (No. 59 Morgan Engineering Viper ACR-X) Finished 3rd
“Getting a podium, you can’t argue with that really. The start just wasn’t the greatest for me. Haven’t done a standing start in a while and it’s so cold out here the tires just broke traction. Ben and LP, they blew up their tires too but Jim Booth behind me, he got such a killer start. He got around me and he was pretty challenging to pass. I learned a few things working in traffic and stuff for tomorrow because it’s the inverted grid so I’ll have a lot more cars to pass tomorrow. But I’m pleased with it. It’s a good race to get back into the SRT Viper Cup and get acclimated to it again. Tomorrow I think will be a lot better.”

DOES IT ALL BOIL DOWN TO GETTING A GOOD CLEAN START? “It’s really important with a spec series because passing is so difficult we all have relatively the same horsepower so you can’t really power by somebody on the backstretch. It’s just so hard to pass because the cars are so equal so the start is huge, it really is. So I’m going to work on that tomorrow and we’ll see what we can do (smiles).”

Andy Bell (No. 52 Pennzoil Ultra/Lux Performance Viper ACR-X) Finished 5th, Top Celebrity Driver
“It was so amazing. These cars blow my mind every time. I mean, it’s only my second time in it but the pure power and speed and then you don’t expect it to handle because it’s so big and fast and it just handles like you’re on rails. I got lucky enough and kept it in one piece and you know, got fifth, which for me, I’m happy (smiles).”

ARE YOU GETTING MORE COMFORTABLE IN THE CAR? “You have to learn to trust the car and it just does so much more than I expected it to do that when I almost screwed up and go too fast and then I do it I’m like, ‘Okay, I can do that next time on purpose.’ It’s just so much fun and Dodge and SRT letting us come out and do this is so awesome and such a great program.”

DOES THIS GIVE YOU MORE CONFIDENCE FOR TOMORROW? DO YOU THINK YOU CAN FINISH A COUPLE OF POSITIONS HIGHER? “It does a hundred percent. I feel like in the middle of the race I was getting up on the guy in fourth and I was gaining quite well on him when I got into a rhythm and just calmed down. I think I overdrove the brakes and the tires a little bit and so then I wasn’t able to get right up to him but gosh, so much fun. I can’t wait for tomorrow.”

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SRT Motorsports - SRT Viper Cup Race Recap - Watkins Glen
BEN KEATING CLINCHES VIPER CUP SERIES TITLE AT THE GLEN

Keating Wins Pole, Leads Laps En Route to Runner-up Finish

October 20, 2012 , Watkins Glen, N.Y. -

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. (Saturday, Oct. 20, 2012) – Ben Keating clinched the 2012 SRT Viper Cup Series championship with a second-place finish Saturday afternoon at Watkins Glen International.

Keating captured his second consecutive title in aggressive fashion. He won the pole for the event Saturday morning and led the first four laps of the 13-lap event. When the checkered flag waved, he owned an insurmountable 121-point edge over race winner Louis-Phillippe Montour and the series title was his.

“It’s a big deal,” Keating said. “It means a ton both to me personally to follow-up and defend the title from last year but professionally also. For ViperExchange.com it means a lot. We’re the number one volume Viper dealer in the nation for the last two years also and I believe it makes a difference: win on Sunday, sell on Monday. It always helps to have the dealership name out there among the Viper nation in the news.”

Montour passed Keating to grab the lead on Lap 5 and never looked back, crossing the finish line 1.391 seconds ahead of the newly crowned champion.

“I think the top three cars didn’t have very good starts,” Keating said. “You know cold tires and a cold track, you had a little bit more wheel spin than what we’re used to. Jim got a great start and jumped out there in second place, which helped me a ton. It slowed LP (Louis-Phillippe Montour) down a little bit and let me get a little bit of a lead. I drove a clean race and I didn’t have anything for LP. I think he has a little bit better setup and he drove perfectly. He was smooth as could be. We were racing for a championship more than anything else here. Now that that’s done we can run a little harder tomorrow and not worry about it and just go out and have fun.”

Montour said he was happy just to pass the champ.

“I finally passed Ben Keating,” Montour said. “It was a fun race. I missed a couple apexes in the corners a little bit but I stayed concentrated and everything was good. It was a fun race and this is a beautiful track. It’s a big win. Everything was good for me today.”

Freestyle motorcross rider Andy Bell led the celebrity participants with a fifth-place finish and thoroughly enjoyed his time on the track.

“These cars blow my mind every time,” Bell said. “I mean, it’s only my second time in it but the pure power and speed and then you don’t expect it to handle because it’s so big and fast and it just handles like you’re on rails. I got lucky enough and kept it in one piece and you know, got fifth, which for me, I’m happy (smiles).”

A.J. Morgan rounded out the podium finishers with a third-place finish and said that Saturday’s race will help him for the season finale on Sunday afternoon.

“I learned a few things working in traffic and stuff for tomorrow,” Morgan said. “Because it’s the inverted grid so I’ll have a lot more cars to pass.”

Sunday’s race is a timed event – 20 minutes – and the starting field will be inverted from the finish of today’s race. There are two practice sessions scheduled prior to the start of the race on Sunday afternoon.

SRT Viper Cup Series
Point Standings
(After 9 of 10 events)

1. Ben Keating 530* clinched Viper Cup Series championship
2. Louis-Phillippe Montour 409
3. Jim Booth 403
4. Kurt Sollberger 299
5. Marc Montour 276
6. David Maczyk 270
7. David Pintaric 170
8. Jeff Courtney 93
9. Trevor Nelson 78
10. Todd Nelson 62
11. Bernie Katz 58
12. Al Morgan 48
13. Eric Galerne 44
14. David Decker 24
15. Tim Hund 0

Race Results
SRT Viper Cup Series
Watkins Glen International
Saturday, Oct. 20, 2012

1. Louis-Phillippe Montour
2. Ben Keating
3. A.J. Morgan
4. Jim Booth
5. Andy Bell
6. Marc Montour
7. David Mazyck
8. Kurt Sollberger
9. Scott Parker

Starting Lineup
(Inverted Field)
Race 2 – 20 Minutes
SRT Viper Cup Series
Watkins Glen International
Sunday, Oct. 21, 2012

1. Scott Parker
2. Kurt Sollberger
3. David Mazyck
4. Marc Montour
5. Andy Bell
6. Jim Booth
7. A.J. Morgan
8. Ben Keating
9. Louis-Phillippe Montour

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Oct 24, 2012 by DriveSRT

America's most venomous racing series commences competition at Monticello. Round seven of the 2012 season is packed with action from green flag to checkered.

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Oct 24, 2012 by DriveSRT

America's most venomous racing series commences competition at Monticello. Round eight of the 2012 season is packed with action from green flag to checkered.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
1 Participant
rickaren
Dodge Nitro Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Dodge Nitro SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing