Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2015 Dodge Viper T/A Looks to Set Records with More Power, ACR

09/06/2014

The 2015 Dodge Viper Time Attack 2.0 has gotten a handful of features that are reminiscent of the previous generation Viper ACR and a few more ponies – all of which should help make this street legal/track purposed supercar a bit faster around the world’s road courses in an effort to back up records set by the old ACR package.

The 2015 Viper has returned to the Dodge brand and with that return comes a new Grand Touring (GT) package, some new colors, some added power and some revisions that should help make the Time Attack 2.0 package even more venomous than last year’s model – hopefully allowing it to better compete with the upcoming 2015 Corvette Z06.

The Viper T/A Aspires to Catch the Viper ACR
When the 2013 SRT Viper was introduced, many people expected that it would out-gun the previous generation Dodge Viper SRT10. The highest performance road-going package for the previous generation Dodge Viper was the American Club Racer (ACR) package that was designed to yield the greatest results possible on a road course and it worked beautifully – setting track records all around the world including the likes of Laguna Seca and the German Nurburgring. The 2010 Viper ACR asserted itself as the most track capable production road car in the world, but in the Viper’s absence, the Chrysler Group saw those records broken.

Worse yet, when the 2013 SRT Viper was introduced, it was quickly found that it would not keep up with the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 that had been little more than a whipping boy for the Viper ACR. When videos got out of the ZR1 beating the Viper around tracks where the old Viper had owned track records, Mopar fans began demanding a modern ACR package that would allow the Viper to properly thwart the Corvette and reclaim some track records.
- See more at: The 2015 Dodge Viper T/A Looks to Set Records with More Power, ACR Features - Torque News

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dodge Viper 2015 Updates

Dodge Viper 2015 Updates: New GT and TA 2.0 Models, Ceramic Blue Special Edition, Two Zany Colors

09/06/2014

Despite Dodge taking both the Viper supercar and the SRT brand under its care, 2015 is going to be the year of the Hellcat at Dodge. We can only imagine what it’s like to be a mean, scary snake being upstaged by a cat—and it very much has been upstaged by a cat—so it’s no surprise that the Dodge Viper is also getting some love this year in the form of a new GT model, an upgraded track model, and a small dollop of additional horsepower for its 8.4-liter V-10.

Here are the additions and changes to the Viper lineup, in their own nutshells:

Viper GT: basically a base Viper with the GTS trim‘s adjustable suspension and leather/faux-suede interior. It will be priced between the base Viper and the GTS.

Viper TA 2.0 Special Edition: upgraded “Time Attack” track-oriented model with new aero bits up front, a new rear wing, unique suspension tuning, a carbon-fiber X-brace in the engine bay, two-piece Brembo brake discs, fabric-covered fiberglass Sabelt racing seats, and black upholstery with orange stitching. Only 32 will be made in each of three colors: Competition Blue, Yorange, and Venom Black.

Viper GTS Ceramic Blue Edition: fancy GTS model in bespoke Ceramic Blue with black racing stripes, orange brake calipers, and a luxurious, nappa leather and faux-suede interior with lots of carbon-fiber accents. Only 40 will be made.

Two new colors: Stryker Purple (GT and GTS only), and Yorange (base and TA).

New interior treatments: including new “Demonic Red.”

Retuned 8.4-liter V-10 and six-speed manual transmission: Five more horsepower (for a total of 645) and one more highway mpg (up to 20).

Pricing for the 2015 Viper lineup will be announced at a later date, but it’s safe to say the Vipers will remain far more expensive and exclusive—but unfortunately, not more powerful—than their more blue-collar Hellcat-powered Charger and Challenger siblings. Rumor has it that a supercharged V-10 could change that in the future, though. Ah, sibling rivalry can be a beautiful thing, especially when it’s as intriguing as this.
SOURCE

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2015 Viper $15,000 less

Dodge Embraces Viper’s Roots and Revs Up Excitement, Delivering the Ultimate Hand-built American Exotic Supercar with a New Starting U.S. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $84,995

New for 2015, Dodge is reducing the Viper’s starting U.S. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) by $15,000 to start at $84,995
Adjusting for inflation, the 2015 model year Viper is priced competitively to the first generation Viper, which launched in 1992, as calculated by Kelley Blue Book
The Dodge Viper was first introduced in 1992 with a starting U.S. MSRP of $50,700. Adjusted for inflation, the equivalent in today’s dollars would be $86,130
Current Gen 5 Viper owners to receive a certificate worth $15,000 to be redeemed toward the purchase of a new Dodge Viper. This $15,000 certificate is in addition to the $15,000 price reduction
All existing 2014 model year dealer inventory will be reduced by $15,000, effective immediately
2015 Dodge Vipers will be sold throughout the entire Dodge dealer network
New for 2015, the Viper’s refined 8.4-liter V-10 engine and Tremec six-speed manual transmission delivers 645 horsepower and up to 20 miles per gallon on the highway
Production of the 2015 model year Dodge Viper will begin at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit in the fourth quarter with vehicles arriving in dealer showrooms in the first quarter of 2015

September 8, 2014 , Auburn Hills, Mich. -

Dodge is reconfirming its commitment to the future of the Viper and repositioning the iconic Detroit-built supercar for 2015, giving the snake more horsepower, improved fuel economy and a new starting price $15,000 less than the 2014 model it replaces.

For 2015, the hand-built American exotic now delivers an increased 645 horsepower, gets up to 20 miles per gallon and is offered at a new starting U.S. Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $84,995 (all prices exclude tax, title, license, destination and gas guzzler tax).

Reaching back into its 100-year history, Dodge is using the formula that successfully launched the original 1992 Dodge Viper, but with even more power, refinement and craftsmanship. Adjusting for inflation, the 2015 model year Viper is priced competitively to the first generation Viper, as calculated by Kelley Blue Book. When Viper was first introduced, the U.S. MSRP was $50,700. Adjusted for inflation -- that equates to $86,130 in today’s dollars.

Price history of the Dodge Viper

“The Gen 1 Viper had 400 horsepower. It didn’t have air conditioning, anti-lock brakes, traction control or stability control. It didn't even have real windows. It was the purest, rawest and most visceral American performance car of its time,” said Tim Kuniskis, President and CEO — Dodge and SRT Brands. “The Gen 5 Viper maintains the purity of the original car, with its seductive design, perfect weight balance and all-aluminum V10 with an additional 245 horsepower. But the rawness has been tamed with state-of-the-art five-mode ESC, two-mode suspension, ABS, traction control, launch control and a lightweight structure comprised of carbon fiber, magnesium and aluminum. Despite the Gen 5's massive leap forward in technology and performance, we're pulling its starting price back to the equivalent of the original Gen 1 car.”

Dodge is repositioning every Viper model with a lower starting price.

New prices for Dodge Viper

In addition to the new starting price, all existing Gen 5 Viper owners will get a certificate worth $15,000 that can be redeemed toward the purchase of a new Dodge Viper. This $15,000 certificate is in addition to the $15,000 price reduction.

Effective immediately, all existing 2014 model year Vipers in dealer inventory will also be re-invoiced and receive a new Monroney label that highlights the $15,000 price reduction.

Dodge is also expanding Viper sales beyond the current SRT network of dealers. More than 2,300 Dodge dealers will be able to sell the 2015 Dodge Viper.

“We have a saying at Dodge: ‘If you know... you know,’ and if you know Viper, you know this is big news,” Kuniskis added, “and if you don't know Viper, it's time to check it out and see what makes owning and driving the iconic Viper so much more unique, exclusive and interesting than any other American performance vehicle.”

New 2015 Dodge Viper models and features
For 2015 model year, Dodge is also introducing a number of product enhancements, new packages and new colors, including:

SRT – new accent stitching on the seats and instrument panel, Alcantara accents on the doors and instrument panel and ‘Viper’ badged aluminum sill plates
GT – new model with Nappa leather seats with Alcantara inserts, Alcantara accents on the doors and IP, ‘Viper’ badged aluminum sill plates, two-mode suspension, five-mode ESC, ‘GTS’ hood and two-piece StopTech slotted rotors
GTS Ceramic Blue Special Edition with an exclusive Ceramic Blue exterior color and Black stripes
TA 2.0 Special Edition with high-performance Aero Package
High-impact Y’Orange, Stryker Orange and Stryker Purple exterior colors – arriving to dealers in early 2015

Production of 2015 model year Vipers will begin at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit in the second half of the fourth quarter of 2014. Vipers will start arriving in dealerships in the first quarter of 2015.

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chrysler Canada: 2015 Dodge Vipers

Chrysler Canada: Dodge Revs Up Viper Excitement, Delivering the Ultimate Hand-built American Exotic Supercar with a New Starting Canadian Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $84,995
•New for 2015, Dodge is reducing the Viper’s starting Canadian Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) by $15,000 to start at $84,995
•Current MY13 and MY14 Gen 5 Viper owners in Canada to receive a certificate worth $15,000 to be redeemed toward the purchase of a new Dodge Viper. This $15,000 certificate is in addition to the $15,000 price reduction
•2015 Dodge Vipers will be sold throughout the entire Dodge Canada dealer network
•New for 2015, the Viper’s refined 8.4-litre V-10 engine and Tremec six-speed manual transmission delivers 645 horsepower
•Production of the 2015 model year Dodge Viper will begin at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit, Michigan in the fourth quarter with vehicles arriving in dealer showrooms in the first quarter of 2015

September 17, 2014 , Windsor, Ontario -

Dodge is reconfirming its commitment to the future of the Viper and repositioning the iconic Detroit-built supercar for 2015, giving the snake more horsepower, improved fuel economy and a new starting price of $84,995.

Reaching back into its 100-year history, Dodge is using the formula that successfully launched the original 1992 Dodge Viper – world-beating performance priced at the sweet spot of the high-performance car segment - but with even more power, refinement and craftsmanship.

“The Gen 1 Viper had 400 horsepower. It didn’t have air conditioning, anti-lock brakes, traction control or stability control. It didn't even have real windows. It was the purest, rawest and most visceral American performance car of its time,” said Tim Kuniskis, President and CEO — Dodge and SRT Brands. “The Gen 5 Viper maintains the purity of the original car, with its seductive design, perfect weight balance and all-aluminum V10 with an additional 245 horsepower. But the rawness has been tamed with state-of-the-art five-mode ESC, two-mode suspension, ABS, traction control, launch control and a lightweight structure comprised of carbon fibre magnesium and aluminum. Despite the Gen 5's massive leap forward in technology and performance, we're pulling its starting price back.”

In addition to the new starting price, all existing MY13 and MY14 Gen 5 Viper owners will get a certificate worth $15,000 that can be redeemed toward the purchase of a new Dodge Viper. This $15,000 certificate is in addition to the $15,000 price reduction.

“We have a saying at Dodge: ‘If you know... you know,’ and if you know Viper, you know this is big news,” Kuniskis added, “and if you don't know Viper, it's time to check it out and see what makes owning and driving the iconic Viper so much more unique, exclusive and interesting than any other American performance vehicle.”

New 2015 Dodge Viper models and features For 2015 model year, Dodge is also introducing a number of product enhancements, new packages and new colours, including: •SRT – new accent stitching on the seats and instrument panel, Alcantara accents on the doors and instrument panel and ‘Viper’ badged aluminum sill plates
•GT – new model with Nappa leather seats with Alcantara inserts, Alcantara accents on the doors and IP, ‘Viper’ badged aluminum sill plates, two-mode suspension, five-mode ESC, ‘GTS’ hood and two-piece StopTech slotted rotors
•GTS – Ceramic Blue Special Edition with an exclusive Ceramic Blue exterior colour and Black stripes
•TA 2.0 – Special Edition with high-performance Aero Package
•High-impact Y’Orange, Stryker Orange and Stryker Purple exterior colours – arriving to dealers in early 2015

Production of 2015 model year Vipers will begin at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit in the second half of the fourth quarter of 2014. Vipers will start arriving in Canadian dealerships in the first quarter of 2015.

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dodge Viper sales up 26%

Dodge Viper sales up 26% after price slash

December 1, 2014

DETROIT, MI - Since cutting the price of the base model hand-built sports car by $15,000, sales of the Dodge Viper are up 26 percent, according to Chrysler Group LLC.

Chrysler announced in September that the base price-tag of the 2015 Viper SRT is being slashed to $84,995.

The Auburn Hills automaker said that that prices the sports car more competitively, after adjusting for inflation, with the first generation Viper. The Dodge Viper was introduced in 1992 with a $50,700 price tag, the equivalent of $86,130 in today's dollars.

At the same time, owners of Generation 5 Vipers have been getting certificates for $15,000 that can be used toward buying a 2015 model year Viper. All 2014 model year dealer inventory is also being reduced by $15,000.

All Viper models come equipped with an 8.4-liter, aluminum V-10 engine that produces 645 horsepower.

Production of 2015 Viper models began in November at Chrysler's Conner Avenue Assembly plant in Detroit. The cars will be in dealer showrooms in the first quarter of 2015.

SOURCE

·
Super Moderator
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2015 Dodge Viper GT:

2015 Dodge Viper GT: Making Peace With Viper On Track

2015 Dodge Viper GT Long-Term Road Test
Uploaded on Sep 29, 2015

Edmunds.com's long-term 2015 Dodge Viper lapping Mazda Raceway
Laguna Seca.

October 16, 2015

Cheater.

That's the response I got from a close friend when I told him I was bringing our long-term 2015 Dodge Viper to a track day at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. He's only partially right.

Sure, the thing is the Big Hammer of track cars. Given that most track days are fraught with Miatas, showing up in a Viper is like bringing a small-scale thermonuclear weapon to a slap fight. Think of it: 645 horsepower, 355mm section-width rubber in the back, an engine that sits cleanly between its axles and massive, fade-free brakes. On paper, this is about as good as it gets. And everyone knows it.

But I've driven a Viper on racetracks before. And I'm yet to love the experience.

Almost every encounter I've had with the car since its 2012 redesign has included the caveat that it lacks the communication, confidence and drivability of its contemporaries. I've always found the Viper difficult, particularly relative to the Corvette. And though I find its lusty curves and distinctly American brand of hubris appealing, I've never had the time to sort through its nuances and discover any latent potential. Two days at Mazda Raceway was bound to be eye-opening.

The thing is unapologetically stiff, loud and powerful. Its creators laugh off small tracks with utter indifference, claiming the Viper is designed for high-speed, mega-grip scenarios found in fast, smooth ribbons of asphalt. It's particularly finicky about braking over bumps and there have always been secondary motions at the limit that make me nervous. It communicates, sure. But I've never loved what is says.

When this track opportunity arose, it was with our car's original-equipment Pirelli PZero rubber — the same tires that had already carried it across the country and back. More than 11,000 miles of road use, thousands of heat cycles and several serious burnouts had come on the tires I was about to rely on through Turn 1 at 130 mph.

I went anyway.

The first few sessions were filled with the same confidence-sapping struggles I've come to expect from the Viper — slides at the wrong time, instability during braking. But I was still using trial and error to sort out the tire pressures, damping setting and preferred stability control calibration.

The old tires, I figured, offered less grip and might justify using the "street" damping setting. Turns out, those massive tires still make enough grip to demand the stiffer "Race" setting. And the "Sport" stability control setting is far too conservative for the Corkscrew. Because most of the turns at Laguna are lefts, biasing tire pressures is beneficial. I burned a few sessions coming to these conclusions all while becoming more convinced that nothing would ever change between me and the Viper.

Then everything changed.

It didn't happen all at once, but as the day progressed, I slowly learned the Viper's language. That lateral movement of the rear end under braking for Turn Two? It doesn't destabilize the chassis in a meaningful way.

As my confidence increased, I inevitably found myself in oversteer situations on the throttle. And despite the fact that the Viper has never given me confidence when its back is trying to pass its front, I found myself carrying the occasional power-on slide out of Turns 2 and 11. It's not the fast way, but dealing with it successfully built real confidence.

Even the Rainey Curve, Turn 9, a fast downhill left that falls away on the outside, was beginning to feel good. I was learning to deal successfully with feedback that was previously unnerving. And I was going faster — a lot faster.

The tires took the abuse admirably and were capable of sustained lapping. As day two arrived, however, the brakes impressed the most, allowing big gains in lap times under braking. I ran the stock pads and hadn't even given them a second thought until the end of the first day. After the last session, I pulled off a front wheel to ensure enough pad remained for another day only to discover at least 50 percent remaining. That the Viper's stock pads, rotors and fluid will tolerate this kind of lapping without a hint of fade or even a bit of squeal on the street is almost unfathomable.

This video was shot midway through the first day's sessions and shows the Viper chewing its way patiently through a crowded track. At the time I was still nursing the throttle uphill between Turns 5 and 6 to avoid a sound violation. I discovered the next day that that concern was unfounded. There's a little Evo dirt rodeo exiting Turn 4 at 7:10. Audio has been disabled for the first minute to protect the innocent, but this will give you an idea what it's like.

The last session on the second day found the Viper battling two new Porsche 911 GT3s. And it was a good one. Though the GT3s had higher cornering speeds, the Viper's power advantage made for entertaining laps as we worked through traffic together. It was a good battle. And if hanging with a reasonably well-driven GT3 doesn't prove the car's potency, I don't know what does.

I left the experience with a more complete appreciation of the Viper. I stand by my belief that most of its contemporaries are easier to drive, but I now understand Viper sympathizers. It's a wildly capable track car that makes you earn it. And that's a trait I can also appreciate.
SOURCE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
1 Participant
rickaren
Dodge Nitro Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Dodge Nitro SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing