Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need HELP with winter rim/tire combo for my R/T

I have an R/T and am definately NOT going to be using the chrome 20's on the roads here this winter. We use too much salt and it would kill them.

Does anybody know what wheels would swap onto my Nitro (bolt pattern-wise) and what they are off of? For example, would an 18" wheel from a Ram bolt up and would it be safe to use an 18" wheel with a higher profile tire to accommodate for speedometer calibration? I am not too concerned about speedometer, just the price of buying 20" steel wheels and tires. It would cost $1000+ for the tires alone, let alone the wheels. I need to know the bolt pattern and what models are compatible. I am shooting for 18's off of a truck but I am not very optomistic.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ozzie

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am not 100 percent sure but I have read in another forum that there are Nitro owners putting 18" rims from a Magnum or Charger on their Nitro. These rims are all over the place on ebay as new car pulls, even with tires for 500 or less. I know the tires would have to go, assuming snow tires are the reason for the swap but it would appear that they have the same bolt pattern and back spacing as the 20's that we have on our R/T.
I have a set of 18's off of my magnum in the garage, if I can get to them tomorrow, I can measure the bolt spacing and compare to the Nitro and let you know for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found A Winter Rim/tire Combo That'll Work

I think I can use a 17" wheel from an SLT and a 245/65/17 tire. Same overall diameter (2.7 millimeters difference) and bolt pattern. The brakes on an R/T and SLT are the same size (rotors, calipers) so I can't see any problems. If anybody has any input on this, such as warranty, etc.. please let me know.

And thanks for checking on the magnum wheels fcsallan. What is the bolt pattern?

Thx.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am not sure how they measure but...

The old tires off of my Magnum do in fact fit the Nitro.

A bit short in comparison but they do fit and with the right tires I'm sure it would be a nice look too.. I would have taken a picture but I only put one on to try it.

The backspacing seems to be correct as well as the wheel fits centered in the opening.

I measured the bolt centers from one stud, skipped the next one and then to the center of the next, (I think that to be correct for a 5 lug wheel) and it was just short of 4 3/4 I think, I was measuring with a rim and it is tough to judge the center of the whole.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rims, lugs & tires!

Some questions about tires & rims:

What is the exact lug pattern on our R/T?
Is it any different on the SLT / SXT? If so, what is theirs?
The total rim/tire diameter is 29.5 inches on the R/T (right?), what is it on the SLT / SXT? If different, what tire profile must I have to match the 29.5?

sum:
R/T: 245/50R/20
SLT: ?/?/?
SXT: ?/?/?
to match R/T from SLT / SXT: ?/?/?

Thanks for helping someone who does NOT get the whole numbering system - I know the first is the with and the last is the rim size, but how do you come up with the middle and how do you figure out what you need to match a certain diameter?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Maybe a better way of getting what you need here is to tell us the goal. I don't have the particulars on the differing versions of the Nitro, however I'm sure 4 minutes on dodge.com will cure that.

The numbering scheme on the tires is actually very simple.
Width/%of Width=hight/rim size
So in your case it would be 245 would be the width 50 would represent 50% of 245 or 123 (approx) high sidewall on a 20 inch rim dia.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
fcsallan said:
Maybe a better way of getting what you need here is to tell us the goal. I don't have the particulars on the differing versions of the Nitro, however I'm sure 4 minutes on dodge.com will cure that.

The numbering scheme on the tires is actually very simple.
Width/%of Width=hight/rim size
So in your case it would be 245 would be the width 50 would represent 50% of 245 or 123 (approx) high sidewall on a 20 inch rim dia.

I hope that helps.
Err........ :confused:
Well, my goal is actually to get some different/not as expensive rims/tires for the winter. I've been looking on eBay and I've found several lightly used rims w/tires from both SLT & SXT (16s & 17s), but I don't want to go smaller overall diameter than what I have... So if the ones off an SXT or SLT fits and is the same overall size, that'll be what I'll be looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Diameter Rims...

Also,
hab die ganzen Räder mal gemessen, die 20" haben 76 cm Durchmesser und die 17" haben 73 cm Durchmesser.... Lochkreise und Schrauben sind gleich.
Gruss Markus:D
If anyone doesnt understand german... feel free to ask :rolleyes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
OK, that does make it a bit easier.

The available tire sizes on all of the Nitro's are
P225/75R16, P235/65R17, P235/65R17, P245/50R20

With this information you can use the information here to calculate the diameter of each. Any of them will work on our cars. You would just have to have the dealer reprogram you Computer to correct the speedometer.
http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

That should answer all of your questions. I hope it helps

·
Registered
53 Posts
Swiss_Nitro_Driver said:
Also,
hab die ganzen Räder mal gemessen, die 20" haben 76 cm Durchmesser und die 17" haben 73 cm Durchmesser.... Lochkreise und Schrauben sind gleich.
Gruss Markus:D
If anyone doesnt understand german... feel free to ask :rolleyes:
Danke, Markus!

·
Registered
53 Posts
fcsallan said:
OK, that does make it a bit easier.

The available tire sizes on all of the Nitro's are
P225/75R16, P235/65R17, P235/65R17, P245/50R20

With this information you can use the information here to calculate the diameter of each. Any of them will work on our cars. You would just have to have the dealer reprogram you Computer to correct the speedometer.
http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

That should answer all of your questions. I hope it helps
Thanks again! Now for the final question (I tried to figure it out on the tirecalculator, but...:p ): what sidewall height (second number I believe) would I need on the 17s to match the 20s? Anyone able to figure that one out? :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you went with the stock P235/65R17 it would give you approx 4% smaller diameter and if you up that to a P235/70R17 it would give you just under .054% over. So that is the way I would go. Just note at 65MPH your speedo will now show about 64.3. That is not enough for the average person to worry about it.

In fact, I just mounted my stock 18" rims from my Magnum on the Nitro just to see if I would like the look and they are nearly identical to what I just described. I still like the chrome better.

I hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
53 Posts
fcsallan said:
If you went with the stock P235/65R17 it would give you approx 4% smaller diameter and if you up that to a P235/70R17 it would give you just under .054% over. So that is the way I would go. Just note at 65MPH your speedo will now show about 64.3. That is not enough for the average person to worry about it.

In fact, I just mounted my stock 18" rims from my Magnum on the Nitro just to see if I would like the look and they are nearly identical to what I just described. I still like the chrome better.

I hope that answers your question.
Sure did! Thanks alot. I'll go see what I can find of rims and tires. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need Tire Advice

Hi All

I am a new Nitro owner and very new to this forum

We just had our first snow fall and I was REALLY surprised how BAD the stock tires handle in the snow

The rear tires had virtually no traction and I had to use 4WD for basically wet roads.

It looks like I need to put the stock tires away for the winter and get some all season radials with more aggressive tread.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

I have a 6 speed manual transmission version

thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
i orderd these from TIRE RACK:

i have an R/T and these wheels and tires fit perfect

The Winterforce M+S Studdable Winter radial is designed to deliver outstanding value at an affordable price for the owners of domestic and imported sedans, vans and light trucks.

The Winterforce M+S winter radial features an aggressive directional tread pattern with independent tread blocks that are stepped, siped and/or studded to offer the biting edges necessary to provide more traction in snow, hard-packed snow and ice. The tread blocks feature high-sipe density in order to help provide grip in snow while the shoulder and intermediate blocks are capable of accepting studs which can further enhance traction on hard-packed snow and icy roads.

Winterforce M+S winter radials meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the snowflake-on-the-mountain symbol.

Install Winterforce M+S tires in sets of four only.

Vehicles should always be equipped with equivalent tires at all wheel positions. Winterforce M+S winter radials, due to their exceptional hard-packed snow and ice traction when studded, must be used in sets of four to help ensure proper vehicle control.

i had 4 of these mounted on:
16X6.5 New Steel Wheel Black Painted

whole package mounted balanced and delivered to my door was $500

have not had any snow yet here in michigan so i cant tell how good they are but from reading the reviews they seem to be a very good winter tire

·
Registered
110 Posts
AHHH how times have changed. When putting chrome 20's on the car is downgrading things are really not that bad. :)

·
Super Moderator
23,433 Posts
All-new Mopar Winter Wheel Assemblies Deliver Additional Cold-weather Control

Mopar winter wheel assemblies include winter tire, steel rim, Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Assemblies delivered mounted, balanced, ready to install

December 1, 2015 , Auburn Hills, Mich. -

Winter is coming and just in time, so are all-new Mopar winter wheel assemblies.

The all-new Mopar winter wheel assemblies are available for order for a variety of FCA US vehicles. Assemblies include a winter tire, steel rim and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), and are delivered mounted and balanced, so you or your dealership can quickly and easily pop off all-season rims and rubber and put on cold-weather appropriate gear.

“Mopar is rolling out our first-ever offering of winter wheel assemblies for those customers who desire a little extra control during the cold weather seasons,” said Pietro Gorlier, Head of Parts and Service (Mopar), FCA – Global. “The assemblies arrive ready to install and deliver additional peace of mind, even in areas unaffected by the harshest winter weather.”

Winter wheel assemblies are available for FCA US vehicles including the Dodge Caravan, Dodge Charger (AWD and RWD), Chrysler Town & Country, Chrysler 300 (AWD and RWD), Chrysler 200 and Jeep® Cherokee, with the program scheduled to expand to encompass even more vehicle models next year.

Mopar winter wheel assembly prices will range between $242 to $292 per wheel, depending on the vehicle (dealer installation is separate). Customers can visit their local FCA US LLC dealership for more information.

About Mopar Winter Tires
Mopar winter tires provide extra protection for when Jack Frost comes nipping, and are also appropriate for vehicles driven in regions spared the most extreme winter weather. Winter tires don’t require ice and snow to go to work — they remain flexible and allow for enhanced handling and stopping even when weather conditions fall under 45 degrees.

Mopar winter tires are also a wise choice for four-wheel-drive vehicles, with aggressive tread patterns that augment the additional control provided via four-wheel drive.

Popular brands of available Mopar winter tires include Bridgestone, Goodyear, Yokohama, Pirelli, BF Goodrich, Michelin and Continental and many more, with more than 1,100 winter tire fitments offered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bigger tires on stock rims

I want bigger, not necessarily wider tires on my 2007 Nitro stock rims. I just want it to look a little beefier and let the tire bring it up higher. Current size is 235/65r/17. What size mud tires can i throw on there without any modifications??

·
Super Moderator
23,433 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts