Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Nitro SLT three weeks ago and had it back in the shop today to review a couple of my concerns.

1) Binding and Squeaky Noise when turning
2) Inconsistent Shifitng
3) ESP Light remained on.

1) The response I received from the dealership is that the noise is normal and I should try not to turn the wheel all the way when pulling out of a parking spot. When the steering wheel is cranked one way, you begin to turn and can hear a very uncomforting grinding noise. The dealer stated that it is metal on metal and that is what happens when you grind metal with metal. I explained to him that I find that very hard to believe as I has never experience this with any other vehicle I have owned. Also, how could Dodge allow this when car production quality assurance is of very high standards in the automotive industry. Basically, I am not comfortable with this response seeing as common sense tells me that a brand new vehicle should not be making any abnormal noises.

Has anybody else had this issue? Can someone please rest assure me that I am not crazy?

2) They boiled this down to the break-in period. I can see that. However, I will keep an eye on that.

3) I apparently hit the gas and brake at the same time????? Another thing I'll keep an eye on.

If anbody can relate to this, please let me know. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all for taking the time to read my short novel.....lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wayne-ESP light

About your ESP light staying on. It just may be something to do with hitting the brake and gas at the same time. I was going around a sharp turn and may have inadvertently done just that and the light came on. It stayed on for a couple of days and then went out. It hasn't happen since. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The ESP light coming on is a reprogram of the computer. Check the TSBs.

Never heard of the steering noise. I'd go test drive another Nitro to be sure & then tell the dealer he's full of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same here

I heard that binding noise a couple days after I purchased my black slt as well...I jus thought it was a new vehicle that needed to be broke in bc I've had it for 3 and a half wks now and I haven't heard it since.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does the binding noise while turning sound kind of like what happens when you turn an old school (no centre diff) 4x4 in 4x4 on a fairly hard surface?
I thought perhaps 4WD wasn't disengaging in ours when i got it coz of this noise (it's the tires doing it) but i now think it's the spindle angles when on full lock cause one wheel to be turned a bit more or less than it should and the left & right tires fight each other when turning on full lock. I spoke to a friend who's an automotive engineer and he thought i was being a bit overly critical of it happening at full lock.(because it's full lock & you don't drive at full lock for a tiny % of the miles you do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts