Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blacked-Out Grill Modification

After viewing a Nitro Video from overseas with a blacked-out grill I decided it was time to perform another change to my Nitro looks.

I started with the above items to complete this new project.

Rust Oleum 280704 American Accents Ultra Cover 2X Spray Paint, Gray Primer, 12-Ounce

FrogTape 1358463 Multi-Surface Painting Tape, Green, 0.94-Inch x 60-Yard Roll

Dupli-Color PW100 Prep Grease and Wax Remover Prep Wipe

Rust Oleum 280721 American Accents Ultra Cover 2X Spray Paint, Semi-Gloss Black 12-Ounce

3M Wetordry Sandpaper, 9-Inch by 11-Inch, Extra Fine 320 Grit, 5-Sheet

Husky Plastic Drop Cloth, 0.7 Mil, 3-Pack

Pretty simple stuff:

First you need to sand the Grill area with the wet/dry 320 sandpaper including the grill bars that are also plastic.

You then need to use the Grease and Wax Remover Prep Wipe to allow the primer and pain to allow a permanent bond. DON'T use regular grease and tar removal since it will leave a shine that you do not want. Also keep that Grease and Wax Remover Prep Wipe for later use since it is great to remove any over spray or to just remove any edge paint around your grill that masking tape was not correctly applied.

Apply masking tape around the outside of the grill that you do not want to paint black.

The next step may seem as overkill:

With a white vehicle you want to protect any ove -spray from landing on it, or any vehicle around it. In my case I chose to prime and paint inside the garage.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next I Applied TWO coats of primer

After about an hour (temp in the 80s today) with the final primer coat) it was time to start the black spray coats. Note that I used Semi-Gloss Black NOT flat black since the decals on my vehicle are Simi-Gloss, but you may prefer to use the flat on yours.

The end results were exactly what I was seeking. Another stand out Nitro modification that due to extra care should last without pealing or tough-up for a very long time.

If you decide to "Black-Out" your Nitro Grill too, hopefully this Post will be helpful and Good Luck!

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts